Sign in to follow this  
Papa.Memerr

Rogue Hero?

I feel like a rogue hero would do good in DD2 just from how they play out in other MMORPG games, so I decided to make this to see how people would react if there was a rogue hero in DD2.

Please leave recommendations and changes in the comments I would love to change whatever I went so wrong on.

Weapons

• Primary: Daggers (light weight)
  • Secondary: Shurikens (fast and reliable, will be like the monk's secondary attack)

Both drop randomly and not needed to be farmed.

Abilities

1. Stealth - An ability that transforms the hero into a invisible form lasting for only X amount of seconds (X can be upgraded). This also switches the abilities out for the ones in stealth. (just like dryad's corruption form which alters her powers)
  • Shard 1 : Vanished - Upscales the amount of time Stealth is active by 10%
  • Shard 2 : Where am I Now? - Stuns time increases by 5% and damage while in the Stealth form gradually increases every second you are in it.

2. Shuriken Toss - An ability in which the hero throws a shuriken at the foe which not only hits one enemy but if the enemies are lined up in a row it will pierce through the 1st foe and will continue on till there is no more enemies in that line.
  •  Shard 1 : Double Down - Adds in a second shuriken and which deals more damage than the first.
  •  Shard 2 : Poor As A Joke - Reduces Ability Mana cost

3.  Slash - Charges towards where your cursor is and strikes 3 times and hits foes that are lined up side to side.

• Shard 1 : Angry Slashes - Strikes the target 5 times instead of 3, but only will happen within a 15% chance
  • Shard 2 : Not Tired Yet - Reduces cooldown time by 5 seconds

4. Meditation - When in meditation the hero's health regenerates and displays a shield around him for 3 seconds.

• Shard 1 : Mastered Healing - Heals x1.5 quicker
  • Shard 2 : Inpatient- Reduces cooldown time by 5 seconds

Stealth Abilities

1. Backstab - Teleports the hero behind a selected enemy (by mouse cursor location) and stabs him/her in the back causing critical damage and also stuns him/her for X amount of seconds (X can be upgraded)

• Shard 1 : Rupture -Critical damage increases by 20%
  • Shard 2 : Blinded -Stuns the target twice as long and adds on a 5% chance it'll recharge another use of Backstab

2. Fury - The hero goes insane causing him to strike repeatedly really fast on any surrounding foes and leaves them bleeding, for 10 seconds.

• Shard 1 : Adrenaline Rush - Bleeding damage does twice more damage for only 5 seconds of the 10.
  • Shard 2 : Addicted - Ability costs less by only 8%

3. Nightblade - Finishing move that inflicts the target with shadow energy, dealing 500 shadow damage over time of a max of 20 seconds.

• Shard 1 : Deepening Shadows - The shadow energy has a X% chance of multiplying to be used twice as efficient (X is upgradeable)
  • Shard 2 : Shadow Dance - Shadow damage spreads to nearby foes which then inflicts them with shadow energy.

4. Fan of Knifes - Sprays out knifes at all targets within a radius.

• Shard 1 : Combat Expert - Radius gets bigger by 5 yards.
  • Shard 2 : Lubricated Knifes - Knifes pierce through the target into the next one behind it.

Defenses

Defense 1) : Cloudy Barricades - 20 DU - A cloudy like barricade, it's animation consists of a moving dark thunder cloud. When a target touches it, the barricade has a X% chance of lightning striking the enemy. (X can be upgraded)

• Shard 1 : Weather Expert - Chance of the lightning strike is greatly increased by 30%
  • Shard 2 : Securing The Objective - Barricade health improves by adding on 25,000 more health

Defense 2) : Shuriken Shooter - 40 DU - Just like the Poison Dart Tower, but It shoots out Shurikens, and it has a X% chance of coating one of the shurikens with a f liquid which ignites on contact.  (X is upgradeable) 

• Shard 1 : Sharpened - Shurikens overall do more damage
  • Shard 2 : Coating Expert - The flames will spread to nearby targets and deal critical damage for X seconds. (X is Upgradeable)

Defense 3) : Bear Traps - 30 DU - Setting a bear trap down will instantly kill any foe (not bosses) that happens to step on it. When upgraded the size of the Bear Trap gets bigger and it'll manage to be able to kill multiple targets at once. When a boss stands on the trap it'll also make the boss lose 20% of his/her health.

• Shard 1 : Gobu Trapper - Trap now has unlimited uses, except for bosses.
  • Shard 2 : Ain't No Stopping - Trap recharges faster by x2

Defense 4) : Clone - 50 DU - Clones the hero  at a selected location with their weapons. This clone is like squire's training dummy. The clone will sit there and if there is a enemy that dares to come close to it will be slaughtered by the clone's own set of daggers.  

• Shard 1 : Slice and Dice - Clone now strikes twice as fast with more damage!
  • Shard 2 : Discounted! - Instead of 50 DU it's now 40!

Rogues aren't Ninjas, that's my only dislike towards this branding. Personally, I'd rather have this class be called 'Ninja' than Rogue. Rogue's are more cut and dry than Ninjas... Ninjas had some sort of training while Rogues are more like a Highwayman, Cereal Killer or other flavorfully dishonest backstabber you can think of... Swashbucklers also fall under this category. This is more of a personal thing than anything else, but it feels like everyone is confusing the two now-a-days... ESPECIALLY MMO DEVELOPERS... anyway...

I like the idea of stealth special abilities, I like the flavor of the idea overall. I really don't like the towers, other than Clone. Clone is a stroke of genius and would be really, really cool if it was a tower that totally scaled off of hero DPS stats and was fully modified by your spheres, shards, ect. Or perhaps that can be a shard in itself.

Cloudy Barricade simply makes no sense, I feel like this character shouldn't be designed with walls in mind. This guy seems like a damage dealer right from the get go.

Shuriken Shooter also makes no sense. I like the idea of a trap tower that fires Shuriken, but oiled Shurken to ignite enemies seems like it's conflicting themes with a stealthy character. Fire isn't really what I would think about when it comes to someone that's trying to be in the shadows and sneaky. That being said, poison damage would fit great thematically (but as you sort insinuated, that would step on PDT's toes too much). I feel like this character should do almost purely physical and poison damage with both his abilities and towers.

Bear Trap while I like it thematically, is super dangerous territory. Instakills are dangerous to put in a game reliant on farm. Right now, trash is pointless anyway, if they ever want to bring back dangerous hoards of mobs to DD2, they couldn't ever justify putting a "this is an unconditional AoE instakill" into the game, especially when you think about, "Hey my level 1 can drop a Bear Trap and instakill some Chaos 5 trash... if I get lucky they could drop some loot and I can skip everything." That said, a tower that did Physical damage, "Bleed" damage, and also rooted enemies in place for a time would be god tier for trap builds. Could you imagine how good trap builds would be if there was something that classified as a trap for the trap-increase shards, yet had an AoE CC and fairly good damage? Mystic, right now, is the only one that comes close, but you need to invest multiple towers into the build for it to have good damage and CC.

I have the same issue with the Ninja theme on a "Rogue" name.

I really love the clone tower idea though but wouldn't see it on a Rogue. And though I like your ideas overall I'd expect more original characters to get in the game (I mean all the 6 heroes added to the game are all very original, so it would be great that it keeps being that way). A Rogue is a bit too expected, having a sneaky hero based on stealth yeah why not, but not a simple dude with two daggers and a hood :p

@TMTrainer quote:

Rogues aren't Ninjas, that's my only dislike towards this branding. Personally, I'd rather have this class be called 'Ninja' than Rogue. Rogue's are more cut and dry than Ninjas... Ninjas had some sort of training while Rogues are more like a Highwayman, Cereal Killer or other flavorfully dishonest backstabber you can think of... Swashbucklers also fall under this category. This is more of a personal thing than anything else, but it feels like everyone is confusing the two now-a-days... ESPECIALLY MMO DEVELOPERS... anyway...

I like the idea of stealth special abilities, I like the flavor of the idea overall. I really don't like the towers, other than Clone. Clone is a stroke of genius and would be really, really cool if it was a tower that totally scaled off of hero DPS stats and was fully modified by your spheres, shards, ect. Or perhaps that can be a shard in itself.

Cloudy Barricade simply makes no sense, I feel like this character shouldn't be designed with walls in mind. This guy seems like a damage dealer right from the get go.

Shuriken Shooter also makes no sense. I like the idea of a trap tower that fires Shuriken, but oiled Shurken to ignite enemies seems like it's conflicting themes with a stealthy character. Fire isn't really what I would think about when it comes to someone that's trying to be in the shadows and sneaky. That being said, poison damage would fit great thematically (but as you sort insinuated, that would step on PDT's toes too much). I feel like this character should do almost purely physical and poison damage with both his abilities and towers.

Bear Trap while I like it thematically, is super dangerous territory. Instakills are dangerous to put in a game reliant on farm. Right now, trash is pointless anyway, if they ever want to bring back dangerous hoards of mobs to DD2, they couldn't ever justify putting a "this is an unconditional AoE instakill" into the game, especially when you think about, "Hey my level 1 can drop a Bear Trap and instakill some Chaos 5 trash... if I get lucky they could drop some loot and I can skip everything." That said, a tower that did Physical damage, "Bleed" damage, and also rooted enemies in place for a time would be god tier for trap builds. Could you imagine how good trap builds would be if there was something that classified as a trap for the trap-increase shards, yet had an AoE CC and fairly good damage? Mystic, right now, is the only one that comes close, but you need to invest multiple towers into the build for it to have good damage and CC.

I can see what you're coming from with the bear traps. but what if it scales to level and stats? Maybe having it recharge is too OP I might think of something to replace that entirely. And really bear traps don't even settle in the whole rogue idea and or ninja idea also.  

For the Shuriken Shooter I thought also somehow having acid damage or somehow coating the shurikens with some other type of substance like acid, but long be hold I kinda put too many things with bleeding and acid damage so that might be too much of an overkill. I'll think both through, the bear trap and the coating on the Shuriken shooter.

Cloudy barricade i went too overboard thinking about it. DPS is what the hero should really only be.

I could redo this whole thing but make it a ninja though, but there already is a ninja forum post on it sadly..

@Sombrero quote:

I have the same issue with the Ninja theme on a "Rogue" name.

I really love the clone tower idea though but wouldn't see it on a Rogue. And though I like your ideas overall I'd expect more original characters to get in the game (I mean all the 6 heroes added to the game are all very original, so it would be great that it keeps being that way). A Rogue is a bit too expected, having a sneaky hero based on stealth yeah why not, but not a simple dude with two daggers and a hood :p

As i said with my reply to TMTrainer's reply. I said

I could redo this whole thing but make it a ninja though, but there already is a ninja forum post on it sadly..

I just personally want to see a stealth like character in the game, so yeah a ninja would also be suitable.

@Papa.Memerr quote:

-snip-

-snip-

There's nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition.

You could redo this idea by separating out the ninja and rogue aspects. Then you fill in what each side is missing to make two different hero ideas. I'm betting that you'll have some really nice ideas once you've got the themes all sorted out.

Although, I find it mildly amusing that a rogue would use bear traps while a huntress uses explosive mines. Funny little tidbits like that are what give DD2 its charm though.