Sign in to follow this  
Linesar

Improve the visibility of the map.

I had this idea for few weeks now. I posted this as a comment in the tavern expansion thread. But I was later told to post it as a new thread since it will most likely not be considered in the new patch due to it almost being ready for release.

Anyway, I was thinking about to suggest the developers to make the players able to disable the enemy spawn notification on the map. This (for me atleast) is a quite big problem when looking for dots on the map. My vision is quite bad and it is very confusing when the map is covered with these walls of spawn information. I guess this would be an improvement for the overall player aswell, even those who don't suffer from bad vision. As I said before, Moonbase is a GREAT example of this, and I also almost missed an Ultimate++ due to this. I would also like to mention that the colors of the diffrent item qualities are not the best. I have a friend which suffers from some kind of color blindness and he has some issues to see the shades of the colors. He can barely see the difference between Transcendent<>Ultimate and Ultimate+<>Ultimate++. I guess the colors can be improved, by choosing different colors or if there are any other suggestions. Maybe some kind of color blind mode?

That was all I had in mind, for maybe a future patch/update.

Thank you for keeping the game updated :)

I can vouch for sure that ultimate+ and ultimate++ are too similiar to the point I can't tell them apart without staring at the dot color for like 20-30 seconds and i still frequently get that wrong. I suffer from color blindness too of similiar colors. Had the same issue with green dots for versus supremes on some maps. At least before the rarity filter came into effect so i no longer have myths show or lower show.

@Lootlovinggamer quote:

I can vouch for sure that ultimate+ and ultimate++ are too similiar to the point I can't tell them apart without staring at the dot color for like 20-30 seconds and i still frequently get that wrong. I suffer from color blindness too of similiar colors. Had the same issue with green dots for versus supremes on some maps. At least before the rarity filter came into effect so i no longer have myths show or lower show.

I also guess this can be a problem if supreme/ult+/ult++ are inside of a yellow colored trap/aura on the map, same with Ult being inside an Electric Aura or Gas trap.

Designers of puzzle games often use colors and shapes together.  Most people can see the colors, but people who can't distinguish them can still tell the shapes apart:

zO471ky.jpg

You might be able to make the game more colorblind-friendly by adding an option to use different shapes for different item qualities.

Sound notification or flashing/moving alert for certain tier armour please

So many Ogre drops happen at minion walls (under an aura and a trap or two) I am permanently convinced I am missing drops

@Lootlovinggamer quote:

I can vouch for sure that ultimate+ and ultimate++ are too similiar to the point I can't tell them apart without staring at the dot color for like 20-30 seconds and i still frequently get that wrong.

Unless you're talking about the beta where it is fixed, there currently is no difference between ult+ and ++.

@mayhem_zero quote:

Press B to turn on the item beams, makes it easy to spot them in a crowd.

I have beams on but for a Survival on a large map I am relying on the mini map to identify drops particularly as most items will drop within an aura which somewhat obscures the beams (to me at least).

@Plane quote:

Designers of puzzle games often use colors and shapes together.  Most people can see the colors, but people who can't distinguish them can still tell the shapes apart:

zO471ky.jpg

You might be able to make the game more colorblind-friendly by adding an option to use different shapes for different item qualities.

i love it as color blind i would use this 100%

:)

@mayhem_zero quote:

@Lootlovinggamer quote:

I can vouch for sure that ultimate+ and ultimate++ are too similiar to the point I can't tell them apart without staring at the dot color for like 20-30 seconds and i still frequently get that wrong.

Unless you're talking about the beta where it is fixed, there currently is no difference between ult+ and ++.

No i'm referring to current ranked there is actually a difference it's just VERY small and not easy to tell apart. I have an ult+ and ult++ on my tavern floor. ++ is darker than ult+. But I can only tell them apart when both are side by side, the difference is that small.

@Lootlovinggamer quote:

@mayhem_zero quote:

@Lootlovinggamer quote:

No i'm referring to current ranked there is actually a difference it's just VERY small and not easy to tell apart. I have an ult+ and ult++ on my tavern floor. ++ is darker than ult+. But I can only tell them apart when both are side by side, the difference is that small.

I used to have that problem with green myth and suprenes.  Side by side I could tell a difference but not otherwise.  However i think the filter takes care of most of this problem.  Also, if something is ult+ or ult++, even if a player cannot tell the difference, I would think they are checking it regardless and therefore doesnt matter what color it is.

The enemy spawn notifications could probably be looked at and cleaned up.  We added the tower transparency options in the beta to help clear up the map as well.  So we are definitely interested in making it easier and easier to see loot on the ground.

I looked at the spawn notification and it seems to be working.  I was able to disable them still.  but then I realized you probably meant the wave billboards that list what enemies will spawn during the wave.  :)  We can take a look.

Wave billboard for enemies that spawn is a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE issue if you are playing Survival with Mix Mode enabled.
For most maps the list gets crazy long(vertically) makes it near impossible to see the loot once the round ends.

So there is no real point in having a long list to show up in Mix Mode since it changes every wave. Its Mix Mode for a reason so doesn't matter if it shows what will spawn from a spawn point so long as they are not Wyverns. In case of Wyvern spawn, just show that and remove the rest of the mobs that are displayed in the billboard.

@ddace quote:

I looked at the spawn notification and it seems to be working.  I was able to disable them still.  but then I realized you probably meant the wave billboards that list what enemies will spawn during the wave.  :)  We can take a look.

Yeah this is exactly what I meant :)

@ddace quote:

@Lootlovinggamer quote:

@mayhem_zero quote:

@Lootlovinggamer quote:

I used to have that problem with green myth and suprenes.  Side by side I could tell a difference but not otherwise.  However i think the filter takes care of most of this problem.  Also, if something is ult+ or ult++, even if a player cannot tell the difference, I would think they are checking it regardless and therefore doesnt matter what color it is.

The enemy spawn notifications could probably be looked at and cleaned up.  We added the tower transparency options in the beta to help clear up the map as well.  So we are definitely interested in making it easier and easier to see loot on the ground.

Yeah But as I said above. It can be a big issue for players to see items that are inside of traps/auras on the map aswell. For example, regular Ultimate Armor inside a Gas trap or Electric aura, Supreme armor inside proxy/inferno-trap. Supreme close to fully upgraded towers (the 3 stars), Ultimate armor inside a pack of Archers, Ultimate+/++ in a spawn area. There are MANY things to consider here, not only gear being equal.

I normally try summon auras last when building to cover other defenses on the mini-map (unless buff beams make this difficult), and I do ensnare auras as last aura, I find that all drops show up fairly well against those.

See the difference in the 2 screenshots below (note: this is just some random towers not actual build):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=865961779

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=865961814

@mayhem_zero quote:

I normally try summon auras last when building to cover other defenses on the mini-map (unless buff beams make this difficult), and I do ensnare auras as last aura, I find that all drops show up fairly well against those.

See the difference in the 2 screenshots below (note: this is just some random towers not actual build):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=865961779

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=865961814

Yeah of course. I am not saying that all players have problem with this, but there can be players with some kind of vision problem that can't properly seperate the colors from eachother. I myself don't have problem to seperate colors, I just suffer from bad vision overall which can cause problems aswell sometimes. A good example of this can be Supreme armor dropped close to fully upgraded defenses, because the stars can cause some confusion since they are both yellow. All I am saying is that there can be some visibility improvements to the map(s) when it comes to gear :)

@Linesar quote:
Yeah But as I said above. It can be a big issue for players to see items that are inside of traps/auras on the map aswell. For example, regular Ultimate Armor inside a Gas trap or Electric aura, Supreme armor inside proxy/inferno-trap. Supreme close to fully upgraded towers (the 3 stars), Ultimate armor inside a pack of Archers, Ultimate+/++ in a spawn area. There are MANY things to consider here, not only gear being equal.

So want to make towers invis too?

like this

WKcS3Ec.jpg

Or have the option to remove the upgrade symbols?

@ddace quote:

like this

WKcS3Ec.jpg

It would be cool to have the toggle option to make defences or upgrade symbolsinvisible

@ddace quote:

@Linesar quote:

like this

WKcS3Ec.jpg

Not sure what a good solution would be when it comes to this tbh. But I like that idea, to be able to remove defences and/or upgrades from the map :)

@mkjo quote:

@ddace quote:

like this

WKcS3Ec.jpg

It would be cool to have the toggle option to make defences or upgrade symbolsinvisible

I would have to check and see if it is possible to toggle like the particle beams.  Currently the options to hide upgrades is in the beta as well as tweaking the transparency of the towers.  However the options have to be set before you create the tower for it to be applied.  Thus I am not sure a direct toggle is possible.

http://imgur.com/a/GjTFW

Maybe something like this could be done. Add (as mentioned above) different shapes to the different qualities. Together with a frame to seperate the gear from the surroundings properly. Maybe it would even be enough to keep the circle shape on all the gear but just make a black (or maybe there is a more usefull color) frame around it on the map.

OK, I think I misunderstood, because spawn notifications can already be turned off in the options. Acen already commened on other aspectse of the discussion but- Changing colors would be a big project tbh because the re are a lot of things in the game that appear on the map and they use a lot of different colors.

Linesar meant the billboards that show the list of enemies at each spawn.  They cover up things on the map and can't be turned off.