Defense Crit in the trials update

I had a question regarding the shards in the upcoming trials update.  Defense crit is available on every item right now and is a very important part of crit based defenses.  Will we be able to get up to our current 30% cap for some or all of our defenses in the new system?

they have crit hit damage in the update, so i am 99% sure there will be a crit chance sphere that will cap out at 30%. If thats not the case, I can imagine each defense may have a baked in crit chance that is static.

The thing about crit is its usually not a big #. (except for hornets) So 30% of a small # will be worse than say a flat 10% defense speed in almost all cases unless trendy fixes crit dmg.

@Pegazul quote:

The thing about crit is its usually not a big #. (except for hornets) So 30% of a small # will be worse than say a flat 10% defense speed in almost all cases unless trendy fixes crit dmg.

yep im pretty sure the first thing i will test is defense speed, assuming defense range is not a must have due to tiny Fire Auras. During the crit chance bug period, i didnt even realise for the first day or so that i was not critting, however when they fixed it I did notice I had to repair my blockades less etc due to killing monsters slightly faster. Anyway crit and crit damage is pretty weak for me, and I am super psyched about defense speed.  If I have to choose defense range though... it will basically be a nerf to what I have now LOL

@Zimmermann quote:

yep im pretty sure the first thing i will test is defense speed, assuming defense range is not a must have due to tiny Fire Auras. During the crit chance bug period, i didnt even realise for the first day or so that i was not critting, however when they fixed it I did notice I had to repair my blockades less etc due to killing monsters slightly faster. Anyway crit and crit damage is pretty weak for me, and I am super psyched about defense speed.  If I have to choose defense range though... it will basically be a nerf to what I have now LOL

Won't there be a shard equivalent for radiance? Would be really bad to make range a mandatory stats...

@MushroomCake28 quote:

@Zimmermann quote:

Won't there be a shard equivalent for radiance? Would be really bad to make range a mandatory stats...

I just don't know as its a main stat on relics. It would be odd to have a ranged shard, but then no crit damage/speed/etc shards.

@Zimmermann quote:

I just don't know as its a main stat on relics. It would be odd to have a ranged shard, but then no crit damage/speed/etc shards.

Then I hope they'll have a reasonable balance between these stats. Would be a shame to make for example range mandatory for a defense to be viable. 

Yea I am a little afraid of range being too necessary for some defences, but if we are being realistic, there will always be a cookie cutter build for all towers, but we'll have to wait and see, who knows what the next meta will be, so many possibilities :D

@[UMF] Filthylopez quote:

Yea I am a little afraid of range being too necessary for some defences, but if we are being realistic, there will always be a cookie cutter build for all towers, but we'll have to wait and see, who knows what the next meta will be, so many possibilities :D

I think as long as we can get at least 2 stats maxed like range/speed or speed/crit damage through main stats on relics and paragon levels it should be ok.

The truth is, we don't know. We have no idea what Trendy intends to do, and even if we did, they don't always accomplish what they intend. Look at the Phantom Phoenix weapon. Phoenix's Luck was supposed to be moved from Weapon/Relic to just Weapon and Phoenix Flame was supposed to be moved from Helmet/Chest/Gloves/Boots/Relic into just the Weapon and the stats on the weapon were supposed to make up for that, but it didn't. Now instead of 35% of DP added to Crit Damage and +16% Crit Chance, you can only get 7% of DP added to Crit Damage and +8% Crit Chance, and the those passives don't even work at all. So really we went to 0% DP added to Crit Damage and +0% Crit Chance.

So we have no idea what Trendy wants to do with Defense Crit Chance, and there's no guarantee that it will work the way they meant for it, and if they do break it there's no guarantee that they will fix it even months after it's reported on the bug site.

Well the devstream is only days away, we'll be able to speculate a lot more after that I imagine. Now that everyone and their mum's are loaded with questions, ready to shoot at the Devs.
Pretty much any answer right now to any question regarding this patch can be "well we don't know enough". xD