Sign in to follow this  
jbaisden

Preparing for the Trials update

So, with the news we have so far, it seems to me that the two most beneficial things we can to prepare for the incoming update are:

1. Farm Gold. Farm it like mad. I'm afraid the costs for upgrading shards are going to be insane, getting into the hundreds of thousands of gold. I have no basis for this…it's only a suspecion. With that said, what is the best way to farm gold? I've tried currency related the sphere's. They don't work. In fact, it seems they bug out the gold drop altogether on mobs. Onslaught is not viable for this either…just trust me here. I'm looking for recommendations that can preferably solo'd and aim for the best gold per hour. What farm rates are you guys getting? 60K/hour? More? Less?

2. Get the highest ipwr gear you can. It really seems the ipwr number on your current gear will determine the conversion when the update comes. Given this, the obvious strategy would be to farm as high level ipwr gear as possible. What recommendations do you guys have for that (outside of run NM4)? I'm not against NM4, but surely there are stages and game modes that are better at this than others. Is Onslaught the viable recommendation here?I really wish there was a way to lock gear so I couldn't sell it off like in DD1. That'd make selling the junk gear a lot faster. Based on the blog post, do you guys see another "best" strategy in preparation for the update?

Really dont see any reason to farm anything except atheme and demons lair. All gear except relics will be dps gear, rings will be converted to defense stats. So filling up your inventory with 750 relics for all of your characters seems to be the best course at this point

@stuffymonster quote:

Really dont see any reason to farm anything except atheme and demons lair. All gear except relics will be dps gear, rings will be converted to defense stats. So filling up your inventory with 750 relics for all of your characters seems to be the best course at this point

agreed for gear, but for gold they are terrible.

I haven't seen a most effective gold farming strategy. For me its "don't upgrade gear and sell everything that's not legendary", and that seems to be working out okay.

I have something like 3 bags full of legendary gear that's 690+. Hopefully I'll get something useful out of it post-patch.

Right now, hanging on to all legendary gear and all gold seems like the best way to prepare for the incoming patch. I also bought one of each terraria weapon (the cheap ones) in case those passives become shards in the new patch.

@gigazelle quote:

I haven't seen a most effective gold farming strategy. For me its "don't upgrade gear and sell everything that's not legendary", and that seems to be working out okay.

I have something like 3 bags full of legendary gear that's 690+. Hopefully I'll get something useful out of it post-patch.

Right now, hanging on to all legendary gear and all gold seems like the best way to prepare for the incoming patch. I also bought one of each terraria weapon (the cheap ones) in case those passives become shards in the new patch.

Passives won't transform into shards directly. We will simply start with a bulk of preset shards to not start "naked". You won't have all the passives you had transformed into shards. So your terraria weapons low level will probably be useless, but we may have a surprise.

And I am not sure stacking a lot of high level gear helps either, but we don't have accurate info on that yet so let's wait what devs have to say on that topic.

@Sombrero quote:

@gigazelle quote:

Passives won't transform into shards directly. We will simply start with a bulk of preset shards to not start "naked". You won't have all the passives you had transformed into shards. So your terraria weapons low level will probably be useless, but we may have a surprise.

And I am not sure stacking a lot of high level gear helps either, but we don't have accurate info on that yet so let's wait what devs have to say on that topic.

The quotes below seem to point exactly to the fact that stacking high ipwr gear will be beneficial as, from what we know, it's the main transition point being used between the current equipment and the revised update items. The only gotcha seems to be if the 750 ipwr is a magical trigger and everything else is just that...everything else. I should hope there would be ranks such as gear from 700-710 gets one set or quality of shards, 711-720, 721-730, etc, etc.

If only 750+ ipwr matters, then I'm totally up the creek. It'd take a lot of gold to get there through upgrades and who's to say if it'd be worth it.

Q:  What’s happening to the Passive and Skill Sphere systems?

Most Passives and Skill Spheres are being converted into Shards and some are becoming Ascension Powers. When you login, you’ll be given a number of Shards to aid you on your journey into Chaos, and depending on how many Skill Spheres you’ve purchased, you’ll be given a ton of gold (which you’ll need for upgrading Shards). Those who have purchased more Skill Spheres than others will be given a big leg up here as gold will be key to upgrading Shards and getting further into Chaos faster than other players. And those who farmed iPWR 750 loot will be able to start deeper into Chaos than others.

Q:  What happens to my current Relics, Weapons and Armor?

The most important thing is that your iPWR will remain the same! Your Medallions and Totems will still be Defense focused. Any Defense stats on weapons and armor will be rerolled into Hero stats. Rings will become a Defense Relic and will contain Defense stats. And again, if you have iPWR 750 loot, you’re ahead of the curve.

PS Still looking for gold strategies...as I'm sure most everyone else is too. It'd help if the spheres for this worked, but they don't. Tried Harbringer on Hard and only got something like 1,200 gold so at least that stage seems to be out. Does the auto-collect also pick up the gold on the ground for you? Additionally, when you complete a stage and it says how much gold you got, is that from the entirety of the stage or just the chest at the end? I'm thinking probably the former.

Side Note: As to stacking gear, I plan to do this but the update is likely weeks out (at best). There's no point in doing so now unless you get items higher over the 700 ipwr (thinking 730+ as those have been hard for me to come by).

Their trials update told us  the best way to farm for gold. Use your medals to buy all the spheres. Medals are very easy to get with dailies and weekly's or even grinding demons lair while getting 750 medallions which will give you a headstart next patch . Every time you hit cap buy a new skill sphere for one of the classes, buy all of the 5k ones for the original 4 as well.  You will cash out on patch day.

The best map for everything would be Unholy Incursion.  Chance at a 750 Piece, around 30k gold with map reward + drops,  and the least effort incursion that drops 750 pieces . (imo) I don't think there is a 'fast way' to farm gold atm. I could be wrong.

Yeah I'd agree on the buy spheres for medals tactic.

I am interested in the bit your IPWR will stay the same, this leads me to believe that medal upgrading the IPWR 700+ items that you may be stockpiling will be worthwhile. 

@stuffymonster quote:

Their trials update told us  the best way to farm for gold. Use your medals to buy all the spheres. Medals are very easy to get with dailies and weekly's or even grinding demons lair while getting 750 medallions which will give you a headstart next patch . Every time you hit cap buy a new skill sphere for one of the classes, buy all of the 5k ones for the original 4 as well.  You will cash out on patch day.

That's actually a pretty good suggestion, but i have to think that there will be shards that are buyable through medals also. I've almost accrued enough for a new class, but am holding off. I think i may just horde my medals so i can see both what shards can be bought and if any particular class becomes more fun post update. But...it's quite tempting i must say. 

let me  give you tip for gold farming. i don't know if it's glitch or what but... the amount of items you sell through game after end of last wave increase the amount of gold you get when you finish the run so depending on that more waves maps with more crap drop near to "700" should be where you farm gold (like "return of maldonis") , Corrected me if It was wrong.

I don't really understand why you are trying so hard to get the least possible time playing the new patch.

Chances are you will be powerful enough to skip several difficulties, and just come to a point you have nothing to do but farm again in less than a day !

Just guessing, i'm not being arrogant or whatever.

@NeedtoDie quote:

I don't really understand why you are trying so hard to get the least possible time playing the new patch.

Chances are you will be powerful enough to skip several difficulties, and just come to a point you have nothing to do but farm again in less than a day !

That's a fair point. That said, right now the game is really grindy. The update will add a whole new flavor of challenge to the game through shards and a hundred other things. That said, the game will still likely involve a ton of farming. My play time is limited so anything i can do to get to expedite being able to play with the shards immediately, I'd like to do. Just my personal preference and how i chose to play. 

@NeedtoDie quote:

I dunno. They talked about siege rollers being nothing compared to what's coming. And the talk of chaos.... I dunno. Maybe they are over hyping or maybe not. Who knows what they have cooked up!

So...do you think it's worth it to use Medals to buy some sphere's so we get the gold in exchange or should I save the medals in hopes that I could buy some nifty shards with them? Or...well...can Medals be used for upgrades to in the update?

Just wondering...I finally got 10K medals so I'm wondering whether to buy a new class or uber spheres or just hold off altogether.

@jbaisden quote:

So...do you think it's worth it to use Medals to buy some sphere's so we get the gold in exchange or should I save the medals in hopes that I could buy some nifty shards with them? Or...well...can Medals be used for upgrades to in the update?

Just wondering...I finally got 10K medals so I'm wondering whether to buy a new class or uber spheres or just hold off altogether.

You could wait a little to see the exchange rate, but I suspect getting a new class will be the best option with bag space a close second.  At some point you will want the chars+ bags + other medal only items, so might as well get them now. New class also means you will be able to get shards for that class during conversion too, and new bags mean you can bring in more items now while farming is easy. If you have all chars + max bags + over 20 char slots + at least 1 dracho, then spheres would probably be next. Or maybe get more char slots (means more inventory to convert!) or a couple more drachos.

While they are going to give people a bit of gold for spheres, medals are a limited resource and gold is not. If the shard upgrades are similar in cost to the old item upgrades, the upgrades will start off fairly cheap and you can get 90% of the boost with 50% of the cost if you don't upgrade all the way (ie about 560k to go from level 1 to level 46, but only 350k to go from 1 to 43). 

And like you said - if you get a glut of medals at some point later, you can use them to upgrade shards too.

@jbaisden quote:

New class, hands down. The ability to use new abilities and defenses with new heroes is going to trump any gold value you get out of spheres.

Getting at least 1 of every hero to 50 is going to best prepare you for the upcoming update. We have no idea how towers are going to be balanced on release, so having at least 1 of each hero is going to be a great asset.

I've been considering EV2 because of his proton beams, but he's one of a few classes i dont know where to gear when he hits 50....though i guess that's relative. Go with the Betsy weapon you think? I also saw one guy drop 8 mill hp on a siege roller in under 30 seconds as ev2 so thats got my mind blown...i still can't do that or anything close with my monk and i thought they were supposed to be amazing...granted i love my monk don't get me wrong but all my peeps are only just at 700 ipwr. 

So...can i make nifty proton beams with only 1 ev2? Anyhope of that same ev2 dpsing? I know this is exactly what the update is going to fix which has me all the more excited.