I don't want gold, I want defender medals/wyvern tokens back...

@NeedtoDie quote:

Not gone, replaced by shards. That's what i'm trying to tell you. 

I doubt they will give us the equivalent shards. They just give you gold and you can go grind the shards.

The legion will take the golds with appreciation, gobu. We can buy alot of slaved goblins free with this monies. This will be another huge step for us Goblins to finaly break free out of this cursed cycle of war and hate and live in our own community with love and many hugs, gobu.

We will not fight for the defenders anymore and not for the old one too. We will only protect the young gobus, gobu. For the Legion!

Emoji_Kobalt.pngEmoji_Huntress.pngEmoji_Goblin.png

As has been said a few hundred times across the forums, we have no idea the value of currency X versus currency Y so the argument (while understandable) is kind of pointless till we know much more than we do now.
I am all for debates and constructive conversation about changes in the game etc, but there is a lot of hate and 'player privilege' going around right now. Just sit tight, farm like crazy and get ready for an extremely refreshing update heading our way :) 

@[UMF] Filthylopez quote:

As has been said a few hundred times across the forums, we have no idea the value of currency X versus currency Y so the argument (while understandable) is kind of pointless till we know much more than we do now.
I am all for debates and constructive conversation about changes in the game etc, but there is a lot of hate and 'player privilege' going around right now. Just sit tight, farm like crazy and get ready for an extremely refreshing update heading our way :) 

The thing is they are going to create a ratio of medal to gold for upgrading and they could just as easily give us medals for medals spent if and gold for gold spent.

Were lucky to be getting anything. Major changes and wipes are some of the risks of playing an early access game.

@Infernotez quote:

The thing is they are going to create a ratio of medal to gold for upgrading and they could just as easily give us medals for medals spent if and gold for gold spent.

Not really, there is a cap of medals, if they make us go beyond the cap they are basically saying "we made a cap system but now we made it obsolete!". They kinda have to make logic decisions and as sad as it is medals for gold is the most logical choice in the end. Now we just need to hope we will have enough gold.

@Infernotez quote:

From what I saw on the stream, gold will take us much further than medals will as far as upgrading shards go (100 medals per up stack fast). Medals will primarily be used for character slots, new heroes and pets at the vendor (possibly pet affection still too). Medals for shard upgrades will be once you have most things medals can buy, it won't be my go-to currency for upgrading personally. So gold for our lost spheres makes sense to me. But once again, we need to wait and see how much we are compensated and what the economy on currency X and Y are like. Too soon to judge IMO

@Sombrero quote:

@Infernotez quote:

Not really, there is a cap of medals, if they make us go beyond the cap they are basically saying "we made a cap system but now we made it obsolete!". They kinda have to make logic decisions and as sad as it is medals for gold is the most logical choice in the end. Now we just need to hope we will have enough gold.

They can bypass the cap currently using the mail system. Instead of just dumping medals into our stacks we could have them sitting in the mail and we collect them when we want to use them. The cap still limits farming of them, but not using the ones that were earned.

@Infernotez quote:

From what I saw on the stream, gold will take us much further than medals will as far as upgrading shards go (100 medals per up stack fast). Medals will primarily be used for character slots, new heroes and pets at the vendor (possibly pet affection still too). Medals for shard upgrades will be once you have most things medals can buy, it won't be my go-to currency for upgrading personally. So gold for our lost spheres makes sense to me. But once again, we need to wait and see how much we are compensated and what the economy on currency X and Y are like. Too soon to judge IMO

https://youtu.be/LO3ymkQzBMQ?t=558

Check out at the time. It shows 903 medals to 2.7m gold. That puts it at about 2.99k gold to 1 medal. I know obviously that ratio is not final and at https://youtu.be/LO3ymkQzBMQ?t=678 they also show 105 medals to 105k being 1k gold per 1 medal. They are likely testing different ratio's and maybe weps will be a better ratio to shards on medals. The thing is they could fairly easily give us a ratio and obviously ~20k medals will only take you so far, well 20m+ gold will take you similarly far although letting you choose your options.

I did think it was strange that they said they're going to give gold to replace the medals spent - but it says to me that they think gold will have more value in the context where the medals were initially spent. 

Let me explain: You bought spheres with your medals. They are replacing spheres with another item. This new item takes gold to upgrade, and might be able to be upgraded with an unknown number of medals each time. (They may not have been showing the final code in their dev stream - medal upgrading could cost a lot more, or be completely gone by the time they are finished with their changes. They did recently put the change in to be able to upgrade with them but they could just as easily be taking it out.)

So in order to keep you able to make those upgrades to the item that is similar to what you originally purchased, they are giving you what you need to be able to do that. And they think gold will be the better option. They are in a much better position to be able to know this, right now at least.

I do understand those who would rather have their medals back - that's a lot of farming. Maybe they will tweak their original plan now that they know the desire is out there.