Sign in to follow this  
TMTrainer

The passive rework.

UPDATE: https://dungeondefenders.com/2/blog/142159/dev-log-93-happy-holiday-hints

This is more than what I thought we would get for hints...

Hell, even that juicy inventory screenshot would have been enough so satiate my thirst for information.

This sounds really cool, especially because it ventures into design that hasn't really been experimented with in a game like DD2. I really like when developers try systems that break the classic version... even if they don't try too, because if they are successful, they got this really unique system in place that much more interesting to learn... and try to minmax off of.

Really looking forward to this now.

Just curious if any headway has been made so we can have some more definitive details about the update. The update is supposedly massive so it would be nice to know some details so when the bomb drops we aren't blindsided.

• When we get the passive rework update, will items (or just the passives) get rerolled?
  • Are any passives being directly removed?
  • Are any items being removed or reworked to the point where they are basically a new item?
  • Any new passives that are more than than "x tower gets % crit"?

These questions have all been asked a million times, I know, but it's been a little while since it was last mentioned and the GD forums are almost completely filled with Siege Roller feedback, I thought a different topic would be a nice change of pace.

For everyone else, what do you think needs to be changed with the passives? imho Dryad should be changed, her passives extremely obnoxious for focus on with tower building.

According to elandrian they will start drip feeding us information starting some time in  January.

I Think we will get some kind of passive crafting system to change passives on gear or something along those lines.

i havent seen much myself.. but you can think about a few things

the Dryad being a new character they would already have ideas on how the new system was going to work.. so its quite possible passives will be split up terrible like the Dryads.. (i really hope this is NOT the case).. but if you are going to release a new character you'd base it around up coming changes to save more work in the future...

Recent Patch that broke XP(Sphere) and Jackpot items.. these passives might just be disappearing altogether... while it shouldnt be done they might have merged something from their newest build into the current branch.. with the newest build not having support for those passives.

The Dev stream mentioned about not liking requiring having several of the same class to the the job..  this might lead to a flattening of Item stats reducing the need to have several builders of the same class. Example might be Defence health and Defence Power might become a single Defence Stat.. reducing the need for a Waller and Tower builder of the same class..

But so far they havent given too much away.. who knows what crazy thing will happen ;).. ive been thinking along the lines of each item with have a certain power and we can allocate those points where we need them.. but who knows...

Imho since i love ev2

Tower range shoud = make the beams longer before you have to put down a node

Passive - Stunnig Reflektion, Reflection beam now stunns targets moving trough it for 2-3 sec

Legendary Passive - Weapon Beam now gives its weapon to the nearest targeted tower if not picked upp for 10 sec

Orb - Proton Static - Makes proton beams Static electrocuting Air units above it for 40% or lower damage experiment whit it to see whats not Op about it

Orb/passive Cheap Machinery - Reduces DU cost of reflektor and Tower buff beam by 20%/10%

and lastly Ultimate orb, I belive - makes ev2 Flight ability play I belive i can fly loudly to all players in game in an abnoxious high volume

@Znajipen quote:

Tower range shoud = make the beams longer before you have to put down a node

I am sure this is prompted by the Siege Roller, and just an FYI if you have not already tried using them they are the perfect length to place either side of the lane without the siege roller destroying them.

The only difference now, you need a bit of knowledge and attention to detail to use them well, effectively giving the use of these ground defenses a level of "skill". 

I honestly quite like this change, I just hope there are other enemies that are harder for other towers, to that ground defenses are no longer the worst option. 

*when I say ground defenses I am only speaking about LA's and PB's, as traps/geysers seem much harder to use if not worthless in some lanes.

@Zimmermann 

I am sure this is prompted by the Siege Roller, and just an FYI if you have not already tried using them they are the perfect length to place either side of the lane without the siege roller destroying them.

The only difference now, you need a bit of knowledge and attention to detail to use them well, effectively giving the use of these ground defenses a level of "skill". 

I honestly quite like this change, I just hope there are other enemies that are harder for other towers, to that ground defenses are no longer the worst option. 

*when I say ground defenses I am only speaking about LA's and PB's, as traps/geysers seem much harder to use if not worthless in some lanes.

Longer beams are nice. So on one paw, longer sections would be nicer so that even if Mr. Super Squire turns Mr. Roller around, the beams are still ok. On the other paw... I just use 3 Frosties instead of a Beam pattern... saves me so much headaches with PUGs. Why is turning a Roller away from my gun... and towards my pellet shooting PDT such a thing? ^_^

I would love the DD1 style beams... you know what I mean? You could extend a beam as much as you like... it just cost more and more DU [in increments of 10 DU]. I thought EV2's beams was a step back ^_^.

shure the dd1  system was decent but i feel whit the beams connected it woud just be a hindrance to have a beam cost 10 du more because it takes such time placing the beams whit optimal range per 10 DU, that its simply not fun annymore, however longer beams for same cost i feel only helps the game since you dont have to have near pixel perfect placement to have them survive the roller.

on another note "finishing touches" i want the whole DU cost for ev2 beams doubled on the interface since Proton beam says 20DU but you still have to place 2 nodes so in reality its 30 or 40 cause i think every node is 10 or 20 after the first one

@Pegazul quote:

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/blog/142159/dev-log-93-happy-holiday-hints

Lets discuss :)

From what i gather it seems that all current gear will only be used for DPS related stats. 

There will be new relics that go into 1 slot each for the towers. And then there will be little upgrade shards that you can socket into those relics instead of passives. 

boohoohoo all my heroes will be trash. I will honestly miss my monks and what I was able to do with just two squires, an apprentice and 4 monks. 

RIP warriors your battles are over, your legacy will live on in private YouTube videos XD

@Pegazul quote:

Yeah i'm going to have a lot of unused hero slots it seems. And it also seems like every one starts over at 0 .

Same here.. tho i only have 20 level 50's at the moment.. will be nice to drop that down a fair bit.. tho i would have been happy with just an option to reorder and rename the heroes with the option to display more then 9 at a time..

But if this means i can build with my DPS characters and not worry about swapping i'll be very happy with tho too

@Dani quote:

9qEYzou.jpg

The shield scares me, the mob not so much.

Will it be a shield that prevents all projectiles, but trap towers are not effected by it? That's my first impression of what it looks like it does. The much more scary version of the shield is that the shield prevents all magic damage (and there is a orange version of the shield that prevents physical damage).

The actual mob doesn't look intimidating and I would guess that killing the mob destroys the shield.

Edit: If mob's are getting more defensive powers like this, I have a strong feeling slower builds are going to be used... reflect beams might be useable. 

@Pegazul quote:

Only thing that scares me is that this will effectively be a tower gear/pet wipe.

They already said they are not doing a total wipe. If I had to guess, you will still be able to clear NM4 post passive rework... based on what they were saying. If you need to farm gear, so be it, that's literally what this game is. Down the line, when they raise the level cap to 60, that will count as a total wipe, too, effectively.

Besides, if they do 'wipe' current gear, and it results in a healthier game, I wouldn't care and just focus refarming. The game is technically in Alpha/Beta, I never go into an Alpha or Beta game thinking my characters will survive until release.

If you read the dev log. All weapons and armor pieces will not influence tower stats(dps only). That means all current tower gear and tower pet stats will be useless unless they do some kind of conversion of current gear into future tower relics. 

Ive survived 2 wipes already.. another wouldnt hurt too much ;)... sure it'd be annoying but if we got our currency back it wouldnt bother me at all

Im thinking it would be more along the lines that any passives we currently have on gear will be given back to us as these new "shards".. so depending how they do it, it might be a good idea to store a bunch of the gear now..  How do we level these shards ?? do we need to find several shards and combine them ??

@Pegazul quote:

If you read the dev log. All weapons and armor pieces will not influence tower stats(dps only). That means all current tower gear and tower pet stats will be useless unless they do some kind of conversion of current gear into future tower relics. 

We are also thinking that passives will no longer have random values but instead will start at a fixed value and can be upgraded through item enhancement. Instead of finding a passive that says “Cannonball Tower does +15% more damage” you will now find an object, let’s call this object a shard, that says “This shard improves the damage of the tower it is socketed into by 5%, can be upgraded 10 times”. By divorcing loot and passives (it was a doomed relationship from the start), you can now invest in the passives you want to and when you get a higher iPwr piece of gear, simply unsocket that passive and move it to the new piece of gear.

Current passives get melted down into shard and relics.

Gear keeps it's iPwr.

Plug *** into ***.

Profit.

The worst we will have to do is actually spend time upgrading the shards, which they also say they are fixing to be more accessible (like being able to upgrading during a map). It's not nearly going to be that easy but I can definitely see paths they can take to convert everything over.

Yesss! If they actually do passive sockets and it works that would be so great! Much less gear grinding is good but then again it would mean I have less to work for so I'm not sure if I like it or not but oh well! FULL SPEED AHEAD

@TMTrainer quote:

UPDATE: https://dungeondefenders.com/2/blog/142159/dev-log-93-happy-holiday-hints

This is more than what I thought we would get for hints...

Hell, even that juicy inventory screenshot would have been enough so satiate my thirst for information.

This sounds really cool, especially because it ventures into design that hasn't really been experimented with in a game like DD2. I really like when developers try systems that break the classic version... even if they don't try too, because if they are successful, they got this really unique system in place that much more interesting to learn... and try to minmax off of.

Really looking forward to this now.

Just curious if any headway has been made so we can have some more definitive details about the update. The update is supposedly massive so it would be nice to know some details so when the bomb drops we aren't blindsided.

• When we get the passive rework update, will items (or just the passives) get rerolled?
  • Are any passives being directly removed?
  • Are any items being removed or reworked to the point where they are basically a new item?
  • Any new passives that are more than than "x tower gets % crit"?

These questions have all been asked a million times, I know, but it's been a little while since it was last mentioned and the GD forums are almost completely filled with Siege Roller feedback, I thought a different topic would be a nice change of pace.

For everyone else, what do you think needs to be changed with the passives? imho Dryad should be changed, her passives extremely obnoxious for focus on with tower building.

Please dont change any of our gear. I like having 3 of each character since its easier to gear them instead of trying a perfect piece that would work for the 3 things I want.

I suggest play the game as much as possible and hoard all the 700+ legendaries you can fit in your bags.

Same thing happened when all the OP legendaries were dropped to IPWR250 you farmed good IPWR 250s for ages before the 'wipe'