How are you handling the Seige Roller?

I have an IPWR gunwitch of 800; however, her health is low and I seem to be killed in one shot by a rocket.  My EV2 is a 798 IPWR and its practically worthless.  Most of my other heroes are high 780 and 790's, but they are geared for defenses.  I am not sure how to approach it?  I haven't bothered getting the Dryad because I am tired of grinding for heroes, but I may not have a choice.  

I realize people play the game for various reasons, the challenges, the group effort, farming, etc.  For me, I like the "Slot- Machine Effect".  I enjoy the excitement and anticipation at the end of the game when you get to see if you got a better piece of 750 gear.  Sometimes it's a let down, but when you get that one piece you wanted, the work and effort is worth it.  With that said, I am not a big fan of the roller.  I understand those who wanted a bigger challenge are having a collective orgasm right now, but I believe the vast majority of the people prefer to grind out the maps and level up their hero.  The roller is making it needlessly gruesome and doesn't enhance the game; rather, it makes it more frustrating.  If it was on the same level of an ogre, or other mini boss then that's fine.  I guess the problem with me is I prefer to play solo, rather than risk getting matched up with some moron who does't know where the G button is located or decides to switch to his/her lowest character and cower in a corner.  Or worse yet, plays one game and drags everyone back to the tavern.  

At this point, I don't see the value of playing the game because one could spend around five minutes building, another ten minutes squashing the rounds, and here comes Mr. Roller who wipes out everything and all of the time invested is wasted and you get practically nothing in return.  Believe me, I really want to continue playing this game and the number of hours I have played since the game first came out proves that.  ( I just checked and it's 5016 hours played.  And no I am not proud of that!  It's how I like to unwind...OK?) The only solution I have as of now is to make/join public games and grind that way, because I can't seem to do it solo.  Perhaps this is what Trendy wanted-more group play?  

I smack him to death and he falls in 10-15 seconds max. Didn't change my building at all. Dryad trees, slimes to sides, harpies sniping and a few frosties + serenities.

Nefhith, therein lies the problem.  I don't have the Dryad so that doesn't help me.  If I do want to get her, then I have to level her up and farm gear specific to her in order to do what you suggested.  I can't do that at the moment because the Seige Roller is destroying my builds.  Glad you can pimp slap it death in seconds, but there are those who didn't get the Dryad.

Day 4 of playing this game. I thought I could deal with the siege rollers but I'm realizing I was just over geared for the instance I was doing. Now I'm back to square one, and only nightmare 2. I don't have the damage to down the rollers and I can't get gear to level my guys because I can't down the roller. Especially when two spawn at the same time. I think it's idiotic that I have to ask for "help" aka watching people play the game for me. But that's the only way for me to progress.

My 710 monk with messed up passives is handling it just fine, I just swap to him when a tank spawn and swap back right before it dies to get the loot.

@Davidmochi quote:

My 710 monk with messed up passives is handling it just fine, I just swap to him when a tank spawn and swap back right before it dies to get the loot.

Could you be more specific?  I have a 796 monk, not sure what you mean.  I'll try anything, but which abilities etc are you using?

@paradiselost quote:

@Davidmochi quote:

Could you be more specific?  I have a 796 monk, not sure what you mean.  I'll try anything, but which abilities etc are you using?

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/141708/dps?page=1%231254559

Look for my comment and guide here.

@paradiselost quote:

Base attacks build, halloween weapon with elemental damage +critic chance and critc dmg passives + power up passive in the weap and ring + stance sphere + sandstrom pets (if you need a boost you can always use SA with hero damage buff and world tree).

Big Wall o' Text inc.

My roommate and I were just breaking into NM4 when the siege roller came out. I've got one of every character at 50, with an extra Monk and EV (also 50).

My roommate (all between IPWR 580-600) uses:

Tower HP squire for blockades, with the biggest Hearty Blockade passive he can find,

Tower attack/crit PDT Huntress (Toxic Shock).

He's currently leveling a second EV for buff beam, but his primary dps Hero is an EV with Mag'manus Shooter (Hero damage and ability power) and  Big Boy.

I use (IPWR 620-650):

Tower HP Dryad (buff his blockade hp and our hero damage with world tree radius),

Tower Damage monk with bonus buff aura tower attack stat medallion and serenity aura radius gloves (Serenity aura Purge evil, buff aura for damage reduction and 25% bonus hp on blockades)

Buff Beam EV (tower damage, no secondary/passive priority)

Dps Monk (Hero damage/Crit)

All of our characters are around 600-650. We were just starting NM4 like I said, but now we've rolled back to NM3 to try and get legendary gear that might even the odds for NM4 again. We can do the first 2 defense maps (NM4 Dragonfall Gates and Bazaar) without too many problems, but on the third map we got an Ogre and 2 siege rollers that pretty much walked through us (including trying to heal the barricade through the roller's damage).

I've tried tanking him with the squire (unholy fire, 700ish magic/physical resist, blocking and standing in overlapping heal radius' with hp regen on gear and the Roller still slaps me for at least 10k hp each tick).

Our tactic for the rollers is make sure the barricade is under the overlapping area for serenity aura and world tree (try to survive the rocket aoe spam). Barricades have in the range of 350-550k hp and about 24% damage reduction, so it takes a little bit of time to break through them. I will take my dps monk and position myself pretty much inside the glowing red engine part of the roller and use hero boost as often as possible while holding down melee attack, while my roommate runs in and drops big boy's over and over. We can usually melt nm3 rollers pretty quickly (only takes a few seconds of damage, my monk is at 110k dps, hero boost to about 200k and each BB does about 250k damage. Combined, that drops a 2mil roller pretty quick) but the nm4 rollers just take forever and my roommate keeps getting one shot each time he tries to lay out the big boys (either mobs get him from behind or the rockets kill him, and he's at about 14-18k hp. Not sure about resists, but we've got world tree hp regen and my serenity aura hp regen for about 2k a tick).

It feels like to me that in order for me to solo, I'd have to gear out the extra characters my roommate has and then also farm up a big boy weapon for my dps EV (I stopped using her when I found out proton charge does nothing to the siege roller, even if you hit it from behind). I'm worried about my own EV getting wrecked by being close up with the big boy also, and respawn timer is absolutely unaffordable when you're dealing with one siege roller, let alone 3 at once.

TL:DR:
My NM4 entry gear does not help against multiple Rollers. With my roommate helping, we can take down 1, maybe 2 if there's no ogre. We're not really finding any useful NM3 gear and anything more than 2 rollers just wreck our NM4 runs. Currently working on getting a poison tips pet for DPS monk, see if that helps with dps spike.

@Shamrokc quote:

I've tried tanking him with the squire (unholy fire, 700ish magic/physical resist, blocking and standing in overlapping heal radius' with hp regen on gear and the Roller still slaps me for at least 10k hp each tick).

I have no issues with my squire. Are you using the shield block sphere? Maybe your friend using an abyss lord with withering fountain can help.

@Nefhith quote:

@Shamrokc quote:

I have no issues with my squire. Are you using the shield block sphere? Maybe your friend using an abyss lord with withering fountain can help.

I haven't used the block sphere, I use 400 movement+ 133% provoke speed. Helps me run around, since my tank pet is the 400% attack shield on defenses, lets me do emergency repairs (my attack is 9999 on squire, helps mitigate damage and I hoped it would let me keep the towers from exploding when the SR runs over it. Spoiler Alert; it doesn't.).

We might try the withering fountain, but even with 20% reduction on top of the extra healing I'm not confident about it. Still doesn't really matter though, because even if I had 20 minutes to slowly burn away the SR from the front with the Fire I'm still screwed if there are multiple Rollers.

Well if you want, you can add me on steam, and can help you with that until you two are better geared.

Apprentice with dragolich and ghastly halberd w/ lifeleech. Jump behind and shoot the butt. Mana bomb does work. Mine does about 500k damage.

@soda_taffy quote:

Apprentice with dragolich and ghastly halberd w/ lifeleech. Jump behind and shoot the butt. Mana bomb does work. Mine does about 500k damage.

Is there a Dragolich egg? Some of us didn't get the monthly when it was available.

@Shamrokc quote:

@soda_taffy quote:

Is there a Dragolich egg? Some of us didn't get the monthly when it was available.

Yep! It's in the medal shop!

I personally would save the medals for more heroes, slots or medals and instead get a sandstorm/poison tips pet with a critical dmg huntress. It's a poor man's alternative, and twice as fun!

Well, after breaking about IPWR 650-700 gear from running the Unholy Catacombs incursion repeatedly, my roommate and I set up a pretty decent system for taking out the Siege Rollers. I can finally out-regen the damage from rollers, so I can effectively keep one stuck in a lane while he burns all of the other mobs down. I can out-repair a maxed out blockade if it's buffed with my monk boost aura (24.6% Damage reduction, 25% bonus blockade Hp) and my dryad world tree (chance to shield blockades from damage, and bonus blockade Hp).

Between the 2 of us, a worst case scenario is 3 siege rollers. I can out-repair one barrier being damaged, play linebacker on another Roller while my Roommate heals the third blockade and burns the third Roller down before coming to help me.

However, I still couldn't see the average person handling all of that solo. While we were still 580-600 and breaking into nightmare 4, we had 2 SR and an ogre on the final wave of the bazaar. SR far left, middle and ogre far right. By the time we took down the first SR (both of us combined), the second SR was halfway through the line of blockades we'd thrown down to slow it down. We got that SR to about 1/4th hp and suddenly got the "Crystal under Attack!" because the Ogre and his buddies had smashed through and slapped our crystal into pieces. Now that we've fought the SR's a lot and have a fairly steady success rate and strategem, we don't panic at the sight of them anymore.

It feels like there's a lot of power creep going on, and balancing it all is the fine line between fun challenge and boring/frustrating. I get a little thrill when I see a tower get low on health and I have to run and fix it before I get overwhelmed. Standing around letting the towers do all of the work is boring, and watching a single unit waltz through my defenses is frustrating. A lot of ideas seem awesome on paper (like the spiders/djinn from DD1/E) but in action just feel kind of awkward. You need to one-shot it before it not only screws up your defenses, but makes it impossible to recover from.

Personally I would prefer if the SR didn't destroy aura's and pylons (normally not targettable anyways. Wouldn't mind if it just disabled them, or like the traps just run out of charges), but since it does I just stopped using most of them or find places for them way out of the way. I didn't like how it ate my blockades, so I buffed the blockades health and damage reduction. All in all, I don't mind one or two siege engines, but 3 is a bit much. Especially early in a map.