Sign in to follow this  
TMTrainer

The Siege Roller REQUIRES DPS

@Pegazul quote:

Since i don't want to be a complete stinker here are some suggestions for trendy :)

Choose one: Either counter ground defenses or towers, not both.

I personally would recommend leaving the siege tank the way it is except it does not destroy ground defenses. Instead its super vulnerable to them(normal tanks are vulnerable to mines Adept.png). This would mean that people have to build some DPS ground defenses and can't get away with just PDT's. Effectively it would be a semi PDT counter instead of forcing every one to play dps.

And then you can buff/fix LAs and blaze balloons and LSAs and geysers and oil geysers etc etc so we can all have fun squire_small.pngsanta.png

What a great idea. I think everyone, no matter what their style, should be able to have fun. However judging by the forum responses from Trendy employees, they seem a very proud group that don't take criticism well. They seem so aggressive at times. Chill out Trendy. We are on your side. And try to remind yourselves what fun is again. :D

Siege tanks will be here to stay and the number of viable builds (both op and not op) have drastically gone down on tiles that they can spawn in. Hopefully this won't be the case by next year.

If you are going to give a enemy an immunity, at least give it some kind of weakness that makes up for it. DPS is not the right way to go with that weakness. Just had 4 players hacking at a roller and it just rolled into the core because we lacked DPS.

@Medereyes quote:

@Pegazul quote:

What a great idea. I think everyone, no matter what their style, should be able to have fun. However judging by the forum responses from Trendy employees, they seem a very proud group that don't take criticism well. They seem so aggressive at times. Chill out Trendy. We are on your side. And try to remind yourselves what fun is again. :D

Siege tanks will be here to stay and the number of viable builds (both op and not op) have drastically gone down on tiles that they can spawn in. Hopefully this won't be the case by next year.

We're very active in directly responding to criticism and we've been pretty pro-active in our updates directly responding to what folks want - we also have a bunch of community groups we constantly engage with during our pre-release testing processes. We try to take a very hands on approach to feeback. 

We've literally just rolled out (ha!) the Siege Roller a few hours ago, it's only fair we give folks some time to sit down and play around with him. Reactionary changes to new content based on a few hours worth of feedback would hurt the game in the long run!

So, please keep up with the feedback, we welcome all of it and we read each and every thing said.

@Pegazul quote:

Since i don't want to be a complete stinker here are some suggestions for trendy :)

Choose one: Either counter ground defenses or towers, not both.

I personally would recommend leaving the siege tank the way it is except it does not destroy ground defenses. Instead its super vulnerable to them(normal tanks are vulnerable to mines Adept.png). This would mean that people have to build some DPS ground defenses and can't get away with just PDT's. Effectively it would be a semi PDT counter instead of forcing every one to play dps.

And then you can buff/fix LAs and blaze balloons and LSAs and geysers and oil geysers etc etc so we can all have fun squire_small.pngsanta.png

Though I enjoy the added challenge to my LA build this monster gives, I actually agree with your idea as well. They could keep this monster in the game, and add another tank that does exactly what you say. 

I dont want to see conventional towers hard countered where they are destroyed, but rather just where they either take damage or simply have no effect while ground defenses finish them off easily. 

@Dani quote:

Reactionary changes to new content based on a few hours worth of feedback would hurt the game in the long run!

So, please keep up with the feedback, we welcome all of it and we read each and every thing said.

This is spot on, I plan on writing up my feedback in a week or two. This boss will take a while to test due to it having a chance to spawn, so it could be some maps that seem fine are way harder with a bad spawn, while others are actually a doddle which at first glance seemed tough as nails.

I also thought of a ground based weak point (and I actually thought it was its weak point to begin with before realizing it was the opposite ...). Some incentive to build more mines/auras wouldn't be too bad. Other ideas have been put here and there, having it spawning WAY LESS frequently would be really appreciated (once per map is more than enough I personally feel, or make it much smaller and easier to kill but killing 5 of them in 7 waves is ridiculous). It has way too much health especially in solo play (did anyone pre-tested it in Solo play ? I mean did anyone managed to do the Terraria map without being ultra over dps geared as solo player ? I doubt it to be honest).

Other ideas could include an overall resilience to effects including freezing, petrify, burning and POISON which would make a lot of sense since it's a tank. Having it losing it's external armor after recieving hits wouldn't be too absurd too.

At the moment nothing can be built to counter it, the only way to go is to have a super high dps character to burst it down and pray that the rng and the bugs don't make you lose. The game is barely playable in its current state (at high difficulty level) for me and after spending 300+ hours of game I doubt this is normal. I feel forced to play with random people that don't understand that they need to attack it from behind and who most of the time have the dps of an asthmatic prawn. The idea on paper was brilliant, the result is by far the most frustrating addition to the game ever made. I mean even the shark from DD1 felt more fun when Aquanos was released (and we all know how annoying they were). So really, please do something that makes sense.

And PLEASE, stop the dps focused content. Between the last incursions and this it feels that having just a huntress with toxic bow and DPS heroes is the way to go, it is boring to say the least. Having some building oriented challenge would be more interesting in my opinion (and refreshing).

Traps/mines not being super effective on the siege really breaks my immersion. I hope this guy gets some tweaking and changes as the feedback keeps rolling out over the coming weeks :)

Oh dear lord.

I have to tell people to be Level 1 Intelligent Characters again.  Trendy finally does something to make the game challenging in the light of PDT builds and making people have to actually engage with the game (aka DPS).

A new enemy has been introduced, it challenged your preconceptions about the game, its meta, and your playstyle.  You lost.  This is good.

The problem is that you've thrown down the key and stormed off in disgust rather than to trying a new approach.

The last time I had to say this to you people you were complaining about having to melee javelin throwers because their range was 10% longer than your towers! Oh the humanity!

@Draco18s quote:

Oh dear lord.

I have to tell people to be Level 1 Intelligent Characters again.  Trendy finally does something to make the game challenging in the light of PDT builds and making people have to actually engage with the game (aka DPS).

A new enemy has been introduced, it challenged your preconceptions about the game, its meta, and your playstyle.  You lost.  This is good.

The problem is that you've thrown down the key and stormed off in disgust rather than to trying a new approach.

The last time I had to say this to you people you were complaining about having to melee javelin throwers because their range was 10% longer than your towers! Oh the humanity!

Please stop posting this. The mob is glitchy and invalidated a really old but fun tower strategy. We know we have to adjust, we are not unfamiliar with video games.

@[UMF] Filthylopez quote:

Traps/mines not being super effective on the siege really breaks my immersion. I hope this guy gets some tweaking and changes as the feedback keeps rolling out over the coming weeks :)

Someone posted this in another thread.

https://images.dungeondefenders.com/http://i.imgur.com/LvgDgZb.gif

Is your immersion alright, now?

The front of an Anti Mine Tank are designed to be destroyed.. they are huge chains that beat down into the ground to trigger the explosion.. the chains will either break off or just flail about its designed to be easily replaced.. the Steam roller is not designed for that... its either gonna get chunks taken out of it (not easily repaired) or throw the whole thing about / do other damage...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mine_flail

In DD1 and the earlier stages of DD2 you need a DPS hero for maps. It seem that Trendy always think they doing something new that they already done haha priceless.

I HATE that I am being FORCED to use a DPS hero to fight!

Umm... for real? Really people? Like, really? Are you all for real? Seriously? Like, are you seriously upset? Like....for real serious?

I guess we were not "forced" to use DPS heroes in alter of the Athame?  Or vs Eye of Cthulhu? Or vs LavaLord?

Man! This new idea of having to use a DPS hero in an Action Adventure 3rd person tower defense RPG is really bringing me down, man! Like seriously for real! like, c'mon man...seriously! DPS Hero? Why?! 

I mean....it's not like there is a loading screen that tells us to get out in front of our defenses. And...it's not like Trendy has given any cool armor sets. Like, for real, I think we should seriously have an armor set. Like, maybe... a storm themed armor set or sumthin! Yeah! And gosh golly geez! It's not like Trendy has been making some super cool DPS weapons for us to use. 

Oh wait......

In case any1 missed it....I was being sarcastic. ;-) Hope you enjoyed and maybe got a couple chuckles. :-p

@SpiderDanX quote:In case any1 issued it....I was being sarcastic. ;-) Hope you enjoyed and maybe got a couple chuckles. :-p

Almost had me.

I was about to quote the five pillars of Dungeon Defenders.

@Draco18s quote:
@SpiderDanX quote:In case any1 issued it....I was being sarcastic. ;-) Hope you enjoyed and maybe got a couple chuckles. :-p

Almost had me.

I was about to quote the five pillars of Dungeon Defenders.

Glad I included the "fine print" at the bottom then. :-) In all honesty, I am enjoying the new goblin siege tank! :-)

The problem is that your enjoyment of the steam roller depends a lot on what your hero DPS is and how you play the game. If you mostly play in group and you have the kind of hero that is perfect to kill it (hello the monk) then this mob is just fine. If you play a hero that is pretty crap against it and you can't play multiplayer because of that mysterious lag bug that lasts for ages now then you are frustrated.

And sadly this happens right after I bought my Terraria weapon for my apprentice which on top of being useless overall is even more useless for the steam roller :D

I guess I'll force myself to play a melee dps so I can keep playing the game, hopefully.

@Sombrero quote:

I guess I'll force myself to play a melee dps so I can keep playing the game, hopefully.

and here we have the problem with siege tank broken down to one sentence

@ɥʇıɐɹpɐuooʍǝ quote:

This ***ing enemy is a  disgrace. You can barely deal with 1 on your own. So, the game just thinks: "Let's make him battle 3 siege rollers at the same time! Surely he will be able to win this!"

***ing bull***.

The game doesn't think... its not sentient yet... (I'm watching you Trendy!)

With some prior planning you
can easily take two provided you have about 100k DPS and plan for it (i.e. couple of walls in one lane and/or some EV2 protons spaced so they don't get run over and SA/ frost tower with the slow passive all help buy you time, [except if it nukes your core with missiles ^^]), three is the same just harder and needs a little more dps or buy more time with more blockades.

Juicebags has a good video on how to setup for a roller to buy time to dps with a low dps character.

It's still a pain in the donkey metaphor, but thankfully Trendy are going to be making changes for solo next patch.

In the meantime, grouping up is always an option, or avoiding the maps with the rollers (a lot of the incursion maps are sans rollers).

@maz quote:

@ɥʇıɐɹpɐuooʍǝ quote:

This ***ing enemy is a  disgrace. You can barely deal with 1 on your own. So, the game just thinks: "Let's make him battle 3 siege rollers at the same time! Surely he will be able to win this!"

***ing bull***.

The game doesn't think... its not sentient yet... (I'm watching you Trendy!)

With some prior planning you
can easily take two provided you have about 100k DPS and plan for it (i.e. couple of walls in one lane and/or some EV2 protons spaced so they don't get run over and SA/ frost tower with the slow passive all help buy you time, [except if it nukes your core with missiles ^^]), three is the same just harder and needs a little more dps or buy more time with more blockades.

Juicebags has a good video on how to setup for a roller to buy time to dps with a low dps character.

It's still a pain in the donkey metaphor, but thankfully Trendy are going to be making changes for solo next patch.

In the meantime, grouping up is always an option, or avoiding the maps with the rollers (a lot of the incursion maps are sans rollers).

I would've loved to stall him with blockades to actually do decent kind of dmg with my builder squire (I can kill 1 on my own with a slight bit of difficulty), but when 2 appear in a singular converging lane, and another one on the lane next to it, all 3 able to assault my core and sub-objectives, I'm just dead.

Would be great if his dmg reduction would be lowered significantly so it's a lot less infuriating to fight against. Less bullet-sponge, more interesting mechanic to roll over defenses. That would make it a good enemy to fight for me.

I'm all up for staying active and keeping on the ball, but throwing 3 siege rollers with 900k hp each on nm1 at me is a biiit too much.

@ɥʇıɐɹpɐuooʍǝ quote:

I'm all up for staying active and keeping on the ball, but throwing 3 siege rollers with 900k hp each on nm1 at me is a biiit too much.

Yeah fortunately Trendy are addressing this in the patch (for solo players).

@ɥʇıɐɹpɐuooʍǝ quote:

I would've loved to stall him with blockades to actually do decent kind of dmg with my builder squire (I can kill 1 on my own with a slight bit of difficulty), but when 2 appear in a singular converging lane, and another one on the lane next to it, all 3 able to assault my core and sub-objectives, I'm just dead.

Go back to easier difficulties and make at least 2 DPS heroes and work your way back to NM4. This game is not just a tower defense game, its an action tower defense game, action in this sense means DPS heroes. You are only as strong as your weakest link, and your weakest link is the A in ATD (action tower defense).

Sure the Roller needs some balancing for new players, but I am so tired of hearing "*** boss mate" then "I cant kill it with my builder". Like I keep saying, its time to adapt to challenges rather then complaining the game is bad, we will have a HELL of a lot more and harder challenges coming with the new update, and everyone will lose a massive amount of effectiveness through lost builder gear and spheres/gear passives. 

Everyone should get ready to start in Chaos 2 if they have been cruising NM4 with PDT's. Anything less then this would be disappointing.