Sign in to follow this  
Black Mamba

DD in Full-screen mode isn't properly compatible by Nvdia's Share/Shadowplay?

I can't get the Nvidia Share(Shadowplay) to record or take screenshots or show the FPS counter anytime I'm playing DD on Full-screen mode. Although, if I change the privacy settings on Nvidia Share to record my desktop, then it can properly record with DD if I am starting the game in Windowed Mode. However its not always the best to broadcast your desktop due to obvious privacy reasons.

Also, on the topic of video capturing, this is how Steam Broadcast appears to others when you(broadcaster) are using DD in windowed mode:
48IBPKKr.jpg

I tried windowed mode on a couple of other games just to be sure that this isn't a problem across all games. However, turns out only DD is acting weird.

Nvidia's software has been really inconsistent for me, especially since they forced the update to Share :(  It worked for me in full screen before, but it stopped working a few weeks ago and then I never got it working again. 

I was sad because I really wanted to make a video of my monkey build, but I couldn't do it.

By the way, Steam streaming does that same thing when sdanond tries to stream, but it doesn't do it for my stream.  I don't know why it happens.

Since I am using Amd card I cannot really give my input to nviidia shadowplay etc. but if you just want a frame number you can just turn it on in steam. Then you have a small number in one of the corners of your screen thats shows your current fps.

If you want to record the game there are also many other options like OBS or fraps and so on. If you want I can help you guys out with those.

OBS, X-Split, Fraps, etc. don't have GPU acceleration and aren't native. Which is primarily why I don't set up streaming on YT/Twitch for games I play becasue I prefer having native support. That is something with Steam provides natively with just a click of a button with its broadcasting. Which, obviously isn't the best there is, but it gets the job done rather quickly and easily.

As for the FPS Counter, the one in Steam is a bit too small for my screen-size. I always have it on, but its just too small for me.

And this issue of Nvidia Shadowplay not working with DD is only on Full-screen mode for some reason. If I'm playing on Windowed, it can record and display the FPS counter without any issue. But with Windowed-mode my only issue is with Steam broadcasting looking terrible as in the picture above.

@Black Mamba quote:

OBS, X-Split, Fraps, etc. don't have GPU acceleration and aren't native. Which is primarily why I don't set up streaming on YT/Twitch for games I play becasue I prefer having native support. That is something with Steam provides natively with just a click of a button with its broadcasting. Which, obviously isn't the best there is, but it gets the job done rather quickly and easily.

As for the FPS Counter, the one in Steam is a bit too small for my screen-size. I always have it on, but its just too small for me.

And this issue of Nvidia Shadowplay not working with DD is only on Full-screen mode for some reason. If I'm playing on Windowed, it can record and display the FPS counter without any issue. But with Windowed-mode my only issue is with Steam broadcasting looking terrible as in the picture above.

Obs does have Gpu Acceleration. I used it for a period of time. But Cpu is just 10x better. Don' know about X-Split

If you just want a big shiny fps coutner then you can just let fraps run in the background. You don't need to record and it still shows a big yellow number in one edge.

I have been using Shadowplay for my recent DD videos and have had absolutely no issues whatsoever recording DD while in fullscreen. It is possible that you might have to mess with the "record desktop" toggle top get it to work, as I have had to do that with some games.

Yea, I have to turn on desktop recording if I am to record anything on DD, which is an issue for me becasue then I have to turn it off for other games since it can't for some reason detect DD in full-screen mode.
Also what settings do you have on Shadowplay/Share? I might have something turned off or whatever which is why its not detecting DD, although that is weird since it detects Witcher 3 and whatever other game I tried recently on the same Shadowplay settings.

[[60778,users]], I could use MSI Afterburner for that as well, but its the same thing as Fraps and others -- non-native & third-party overlays something I tend to avoid. And I usually prefer keeping CPU overhead at a minimum as much as possible becasue my current CPU is well past its prime! :-)

I happen to have all the settings on factory default with the exception of recording desktop, which I have on in order to record a few games that it doesn't recognize. It does recognize DD though, as it has its own output folder for me.

Quick word about Afterburner - that was what I used to record on my previous computer, and I can say that it is the lowest impact recording software for third parties that I can find. I was able to record DD decently on a pretty bad mobile i5 (2x 1.70 ghz) and an 840m. If you do have to resort to 3rd party software that's the one I'd use. But then you have the annoyance of outputting as .avi which needs to be compressed to upload in any reasonable time frame

Okay, so update on the Nvidia thingy:

Turns out for whatever reason the game launcher decided to turn off V-Sync for me, and the "Don't Use Multi-Threaded Renderer" option was ticked-off as well. Soon as I turned them on and launched the game in Full-screen -- BOOM, got the Nvidia overlay and recording to work like a charm.

So that bit seems to have been solved.

Now, onto the Steam Broadcast, the image quality in the main-post appears like that if you are in windowed mode. Of course, for broadcasting purposes I could possibly just stick to Full-screen mode, but I tend to Alt-Tab very often. Game seriously needs a Border-less Window mode!

@Black Mamba quote:Of course, for broadcasting purposes I could possibly just stick to Full-screen mode, but I tend to Alt-Tab very often. Game seriously needs a Border-less Window mode!

I want this very badly myself but from what I gather this can't happen because the game engine doesn't support it.

UE4 upgrade pls? :D

@OP: If you're trying to livestream, I reccomend using OBS Studio (google it) instead of Nvidia's or a capture device's included software. It is much more compatible with various games and software. Even in Windowed mode, OBS can capture just the game window and not show the rest of your desktop if you're concerned about people seeing things you dont want them to see.

OBS is a bit more clunky to use for just plain recording but you can still use it for that purpose (and combine sources, put text on it, whatever). TBH though,  i'd never heard of that nvidia software before reading this thread.

Really? The software itself is pretty nice -- very low CPU overhead, runs in background and usage is minimal. The only issue is that there are certain games with which it has trouble loading the overlay. Although it is limited to newer Nvidia GFX cards, but Its literally the best recording software you can get if you have a Nvidia card that is supported(I think GTX 7xx series and higher).
Performance drop is maybe 3-4 FPS in most games while recording at game resolution(usually 1080p) at 60 FPS with a high bit-rate.

I tried everything with nVidia Share, but I just couldn't get it working again.  It used to work fine, and I don't know why it broke, but unfortunately changing the settings Mambo mentioned unfortunately didn't fix it for me :(  It just stopped working one day mid-game.  If I try it now, it just says "Something went wrong".  I've pretty much given up on getting it to work now, having tried about a zillion things to fix it.

But!!  I was able to use OBS, and it uses nVidia's hardware encoder, so I'm going to stick with that.  Thanks, Alhanalem :)

Glad you brought AMD up, recently AMD has also released their own version of "Shadowplay / Share", its called "AMD ReLive".
So now there is native video capturing and streaming overlays from both graphics card vendors for their cards. :-)
Also turns out, AMD's ReLive is slightly better than Shadowplay when it comes to performance drops. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKWUY_zGv6Q )

I'm personally a big fan of native softwares & utilities that comes along with graphics cards or other say for example programmable keyboards and mice. But that's primarily becasue my requirements are rather simple and the native softwares provide that to me without having to install additional things. Of course if there is a need for additional functionality that the native software isn't providing then I will consider third-party alternatives. Its a personal choice and at the end it comes down to what are your requirements etc.