Sign in to follow this  
DrakerRaze

Consider Scaling/Splitting DU with Number of Players Present?

I know this is a dead horse, but has the Community Development Team reconsidered either a DU split or increase for Coop mode?   I have played Dungeon Defenders since release back in 2011.  I have always loved the game, being an avid fan of Tower Defense Games.  Yet, time and time again, my friends and I are driven off due to the DU limiting how you can play.  With the release of the Summoner, my two-man groups came to life, we finally had our own DU that we could spend how we wanted!  You must have seen the community response to the MU/DU!  (With the exception to the fact that Summoners became mandatory in solo or high end play, just to utilize the extra defense slots.)  

I have always been part of the Split DU crowd, there is nothing more disappointing than getting 4 friends together to play Dungeon Defenders, just to end up stepping on each others toes by using up the DU someone needed. 

Option 1: go from X DU available, to X/X/X/X DU for Player 1/2/3/4 (Each player gets their own X DU to spend).  Buff the monsters.  Allow the players to decide if a joining member has adequate gear for what they are doing, and remove them if not. (Risky/unpopular approach, but it is already happening, but with DPS players)

Option 2: go from X DU available, to 1/2/3/4xDU for 1/2/3/4 Player matches. (Multiply the amount of universally available DU by the number of players).  Buff the monsters.  This would allow the 3DPS/1Builder meta to remain, but would also allow for the more friendly groups to simply delegate lanes or heroes to building defenses (for those who don't have multiple types of players at the range they are playing with).

Option 3: go from X DU available, to X/X/X/X DU for Squire/Mage/Hunter/Summoner/Monk/EV.  Buff Monsters (possibly by number of classes "Seen" in that match).  The Least popular of the 3 options, this would take the MU concept that the Summoner has, and spread it across all classes.  Every class would have their own building pool.  This would allow friendly groups that roll one class and stick with it for a full game clear to not step on each others toes, meanwhile allowing late game multi-class accounts to play as usual.  

Not everyone enjoys being forced into the 3dps 1 builder meta. This is a Tower Defense game by default, after all.

We havent discussed it much other than the discussion being centered around changing anything with DU/MU would likely cause a big issue for some in the community.  This was changed in DDE and some didnt take it well.  So this has not been under much consideration.

I Agree that some might not like the change.  But we also have "Some" who do not like having to roll the dice to see who gets to build while the other three need to roll a dps or leave.  Besides, is this not what the beta builds are for?  Test it out.  

I feel that the only people who would be opposed to a change that allows everyone to build would be control freaks who don't wan't to allow others to build on their map.  I ask that you consider testing some sort of DU change that would benefit the coop community and move us away from the 3afk 1 builder meta we are currently in.  

You could consider modifying Pure Strat into a game mode that expands on DU available to players, while allowing the usual dps play.

Currently there is more than enough DU for all to build but it takes some communication as to who will build what.

The biggest problem with all this is balance. If you increase DU with more players you would end up with waaaay more than you need and would take away from some strategy.  Thus you would need to decrease the DU for single player then and that may not be enough.  You would have to go through every map all over again and try to get a consensus from the community on the perfect DU amount for each map and for X number of players.

Personally I dont think that is worth the time to redo the whole game when a little communication can solve that.  Also, forcing people to play a particular way is not usually taken very well by many.

I agree with ddace - the way to play coop is surprise surprise: to cooperate. The only map I regularly do this on is winter wonderland: the time limit and size of map makes it hard to get the full first wave build done in time, so I often have my partner place some of the defences. 

All it requires is a bit of up front planning about who is building what and where.

I think the game already gives enough advantages to 4/6/8 man groups without pushing it even further.

Splitting the DU down isn't hard tho - just communicate, split the DU in a quarter, and don't spend more than your allotted amount!