Sign in to follow this  
harry4550

[EVENT] The Attack of the Mad Turkeys

It's that time again. EVENT TIME!!! The turkeys of Etheria are mad after watching the heroes eat their fallen comrades. They are not going to let you get away with such blasphemy. Its time for their revenge!!!  (We are working to complete the map for you but even if that map doesn't get done, we have an excellent map to use as a backup. We want to make sure you are aware in advance that it is coming though. ) So, please take a minute to read over all this important info below:

What Do I Need to Know

Please check out this thread to get up to speed on how to run events. https://dungeondefenders.com/1/topic/130608/pc-community-events

When Will The Event Happen

The event will start on Friday, Dec 2nd 12:00 (UTC-4/EST) and end on Sunday, Dec 4th 22:00(UTC-4/EST). There will be guaranteed at least one host on from 12:00-22:00(UTC-4) each day. We will try to have hosts available at other times as well.

What Gear Do I Need For This Event

Bring the best gear you got. You can use your normal gear for this event or borrow gear. It will require someone or several to build and everyone to use dps of some sort. Hacked and/or modded gear is not permitted during the event *except for gear from the Tavern Armory Shipment*.  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=572136953

What Do I Need to do to be Ready for the Event

The event map will be open for download a day or two in advance of the event. This thread will be updated with a link to that map at the bottom once it is up. Before the event you need to check back to this thread and subscribe to the map in the Steam Workshop. Please try hosting it yourself before the event at least once to make sure you have it installed correctly.

What If I Can't Get On During Those Times

If you are unable to participate in the event while it is running please talk to either Acen(ddace) or myself (Harry) via forum/steam pm. We will try to accommodate you as best we can.

Can I Play With My Friends

Yes! You can bring a group of up to 5 players. So find some compadres to adventure with ya:) (If some of your friends have already ran the event they can re-run it with you for fun but please keep in mind that those who have yet to run the event will get first priority over those who are re-running the event so you may have to wait longer than expected.) 

Map Link:  Great Mega Turkey Hunt

Note: You may encounter an issue after you download the event map and try to go back to ranked and join a game. It is possible you might get a package version mismatch error. The first step to fix this is to restart the game. If that doesn't work then unsubscribe from the map and verify integrity of your game cache.

Really looking forward to the event! We will try to stream our run of it ^^ 

Much love to the CDT and the event team for putting all the effort and skills towards creating new content for DD. 

Thanks guys!

Ik that i have been busy these and not around in the forums 

But i'm always up for a new event >:)

For you fellow Aussies (and players within a similar time zone) I will be available Sunday afternoon and evening to host. (Aussie time)  Have fun!

Ooh, it's fun! :)  I was able to win once I figured it out, but it seemed really hard at first.

My friend and I tried the map together, and we had a problem.  When I hosted, he couldn't use abi1/abi2.  It was just like when you do Old One Practice and skip the opening animation, which causes some sort of bug that keeps you from using abi1/abi2.  I hope that isn't going to be a problem during the event.  The map would be a lot harder without hero boost.

(I reinstalled DD for the event weekend :)

EDIT: Oh god, it's going to be hard with 6 people T_T

I have to chip-in my honest opinion about this map. Might ruffle a few feathers and jimmies, and upset a few, but I don't care, it has to be said. This will be a long one.

I'm really not a fan of events that have an ever increasing difficulty, not because I don't like challenges or anything, but events back in the day were fun and enjoyable for players from across the spectrum of experience(in DD). And from whatever 3-4 runs I've done in this map, I didn't really have any sort of fun.

I played this map with a few friends for practice runs, its just not fun, as I said, especially considering the serious lag with 6 players when the actual event will be run. On a map with so many hazard spots like this, on top of that a relentless amount of Wyverns blocking your jumps and exceptionally weak fans(the push force on some is very low). + There are a few bugs on this map(not listing here, feel free to contact me). But yeah, overall, in my honest opinion, I'd have to say this map was not fun for me. I didn't enjoy it, and neither did the people I tried it with. It sucks IMO. Sucks in the sense that it is annoying and not fun, so that sucks, sorry about that. I'm not sure if I will enjoy it on the event run, but yeah. The map design and layout is nice, I loved the previous one more than this though.

I do appreciate the hard work by the Event Team and CDT in putting together this map, but you guys practice/test it out with a lot of in-game experience, something which still a large section of the community lacks. Keeping that in mind, and comparing this map to the last map, i have to say this map is simply not fun or good enough. Also -- like the previous event -- IF there might be an item just for the winners and nothing for participation, then once again many people will have to carry new guys, i.e. dead-weight, not to mention its not fun for the person being carried nor the team carrying them. I've already got some guys asking me about carrying them or how to beat this map just so they can get the items(if there is none for participation). So you can already take a guess that the mindset about "Events" is changing drastically from "something which used to be fun and enjoyable" to "will you carry me so i can get the item(s) and extra rewards". Which is not good and which is something that isn't supposed to happen, since that's not the point of Events.

I also have a feeling that with (inclusion of)Temple of Polybius for the next update and stuff like that the general approach and direction the actual game and events is going towards -- is catering to experienced and high-end players and completely abandoning new people with an ever increasing difficulty. Embermount was fun, Buc Bay, Pirate Invasion etc. are somewhat hard but fun, but are we simply making more harder and harder maps & events from now on? Two events in a row, both require a really skilled team to beat, so this is something I'm totally and vocally against, going forward from now. Pretty much almost all the CDT & Event Team are at whatever 5-6-7-8-9k stats, that's nice and good, but lets be clear -- majority of the playerbase is hardly near 2-3k with not even an fraction of the game-experience that you guys might have. So if you design maps, please take into consideration that not everyone is an "elite pro". This game has a history of "elitism" and the last thing we need in events is "elitism".

And before someone says "bla bla but they can use tavern armory shipment gear", well that's fine. But do tell whether the tavern armory shipment come with skill and playing experience? So it doesn't really matter what gear you give to a new guy the inexperience will show through anyways. And for maps like these(and the previous one), I'd prefer actual game-play experience over some 6-7k stats.

Finally, summing this up;
Events are supposed to be fun, not about carrying new guys and practicing a thousand times before doing the event, just to be sure you will win the event. Events were about the community getting together, meeting with new guys, ganging up randomly with new people and overall having some fun. But this map from what I can say is hardly promoting anything from that(and neither did the previous map IMO, it was fun, but a lot people had to be carried). I would be really grateful if the Events-Team re-considers their approach from the next event onwards and stop catering to high-end players, they don't make up for majority of the current playerbase. Please bring fun to play maps that provide a level playing field for new and old/experienced players alike. Take cues from older event maps such as Pet Race, Dragon of the North, Vile Lord's Arena, Princess Quest, etc. which were designed for the entire playerbase and not just the "top 1% elites".

Thank you very much.