Sign in to follow this  
Shadow 1924

Will PDT be nerfed?

I want to catch up on the current meta of the game but I'm afraid if I start farming for it there'll be no point if PDT does eventually get nerfed. 

It will almost certainly get nerfed, but perhaps only so much as they fix the bug that makes it deal double damage. If that's the case, it will still be a strong tower, just not to the point that you can plop one down in every lane and call your build done.

@Ambiguous quote:

It will almost certainly get nerfed, but perhaps only so much as they fix the bug that makes it deal double damage. If that's the case, it will still be a strong tower, just not to the point that you can plop one down in every lane and call your build done.

So will it still be included in people's builds after the nerf? Because I haven't played the game in a while and it seems people have moved on from using archers. 

Nothing official, but you can expect something to happen to it, and it'll be on the nerf side of balancing for sure.

Hopefully they're leaving it be atm because they're finding a good way to adjust it instead of just taking a sledgehammer to it.

Well, if they just fix the double damage problem, I can see it still being a strong tower that is included in builds. Like Ambiguous said, it just won't be throwing it down and being done with your build.

PDT needs to be nerfed if they want this game to be healthy. Right now they are by far the best tower in the game bar none. Best damage, best AoE mechanic in the game, long range, smart AI... PDT dominates the tower meta. If anyone wants to be competitive when they update/change Onslaught and PDT is not nerfed, it will probably be the best tower in the game to use.

If you feel like farming very easily right now, don't be afraid to get the PDT bow with defense power and use it. PDT doesn't really need much else to function other than the bow. The armor pieces with PDT bonus only give PDT more HP, and the only trinket that modifies PDT is a Totem with PDT attack speed... which isn't necessary honestly.

Totem with passive is actually worse than a good medallion lol. The speed boost marginally boosts its fire rate, but doesn't effect the poison DoT rate.

Don't nerf PDT. Buff the rest of the towers. Nerfing only makes the game more boring.

Instead of that, make enemies resistant to PDT. Make robots immune to poison (makes sense) and weak to, idk, cannonball towers (makes sense). Make cannonball towers have a shrapnel passive, or make it throw bombs.

Give us a fireball tower that insteas of being a fancy cannonball tower, we can use as a fire mortar tower, with actually good/useful splash damage.

Remove monk's anti air tower and serenity aura, and give us an actually useful tower (strength drain aura + slow anyone?).

PDT is fine. The rest of the game isn't.

@Nefhith quote:

Don't nerf PDT. Buff the rest of the towers. Nerfing only makes the game more boring.

Instead of that, make enemies resistant to PDT. Make robots immune to poison (makes sense) and weak to, idk, cannonball towers (makes sense). Make cannonball towers have a shrapnel passive, or make it throw bombs.

Give us a fireball tower that insteas of being a fancy cannonball tower, we can use as a fire mortar tower, with actually good/useful splash damage.

Remove monk's anti air tower and serenity aura, and give us an actually useful tower (strength drain aura + slow anyone?).

No, PDT is not fine. PDT is leagues above everything else with there being no build that comes close to the power level PDT builds achieve. It needs to be toned down because it's not fun to use, at all. It's not interesting and has the most boring build in the game to use. Making mobs 'resistant' to PDT is basically a direct nerf to PDT anyway.

Lets not bring back mobs being resistant to Physical/Magical/ect.

Oh, and if all towers get buffed, then all the mobs will need to get buffed considering the game is already easy to clear without PDT. Not saying that other towers don't need buffs, but PDT FOR SURE needs some kind of nerf.

Edit: I would like to see what the mob rework does, though. Perhaps that's when builds will get a bit more creative.

This is exactly my point. Enemies are made of butter and everything you throw in front of them is a chainsaw of lava.

I remember DD1's "power creep" and the endless farming despite any piece of gear being usable by any other char because the stats in the armor "adapted" to them. Harpoons were godly machine guns of hate; nothing could come close to them, and yet, you could still change them for >1m dps auras with 5x times the range serenities have in this game, or the huntress's explosive trap being practically a machine gun of explosions with thousands of charges as soon as an enemy stepped on it.

Seeing your characters become powerful, godly even, is what made the game fun. I remember my first hard to insane step-up and how mind-blowingly hard it was, and when I went from insane to nightmare. THAT was good progression.

Map's difficulty DID make a difference. Nightmare gear on deeper well would give you insane-level gear on glitterhelm caverns, and random enemy resistances made sure you had to use quite a variety of towers, debuffing, or both.

Instead of trying to do useless nerfing, they gave us bigger challenges in the shape of "modifiers" (survival, nightmare, mixed mode, hardcore, djinn, sharken, spiders, more chances of enemy spawning with a random resistance) instead of giving us artificial difficulty (x% more health, y% more damage, call it Nighmare N+1).

I know this game is in alpha, and I'm not complaining about any of that. I'm sure trendy will do the right thing. If they did it once, they can do it twice. The thing is that I see PDT as a "window" to what DD1 once was. You feel powerful with PDTs, just like you did in DD1 with some gear. The only bad thing about PDTs now is that they're bugged and it's too easy to get them (as someone mentioned, you just need the bow; any bow, and you're good to go).

I've seen this thing happen with DD1's summoner and EV. They were insanely powerful when they came out, but the newest maps and an actual nightmare mode made sure these alone couldn't do much, despite their OPness.

I don't believe they'll touch much the PDT (except for the double damage issue) until the revamp comes in. They are changing tower mechanics for the 4 starting heroes. I believe they'll try to fix everything at that moment. They shouldn't lose time on a band-aid fix.  

@Nefhith quote:...they gave us bigger challenges in the shape of "modifiers" (survival, nightmare, mixed mode, hardcore, djinn, sharken, spiders, more chances of enemy spawning with a random resistance) instead of giving us artificial difficulty (x% more health, y% more damage, call it Nighmare N+1).

I agree that NM is pretty bland right now. I would love the return of Mixed Mode, Hardcore (make it more punishing, like not being able revive for all 3 waves of each Onslaught round), Djinn, Sharken, Spiders and new mobs that could give a little more spice to a game that is mainly focused on building walls as opposed to needed to overcome challenges.

I still don't like the idea of random resistances (to magic and physical damage)... but I like the idea of mobs spawning with different prefixes and suffixes (similar to how Onslaught is currently, but even more drastic when it comes to different effects. Not just health+ or immune to knockup, but perhaps even something like "Martyr: Whenever a mob dies, it heals all the mobs around it for X health and damage all players for Y damage." Stuff that really changes the game and will make you pay attention when clearing Onslaught.

@Nefhith quote:

This made me laugh :D

I would uninstall if your dreams became a reality :)

@TMTrainer quote:

I still don't like the idea of random resistances (to magic and physical damage)...

It isn't to magic and physical damage. It's to elemental (poison, shock and fire). The physical and magic resistance was a pain in the nuts to deal with, since it rendered almost all tower combos useless.

@Zimmermann quote:

@Nefhith quote:

This made me laugh :D

I would uninstall if your dreams became a reality :)

This made me sad ;(

@Nefhith quote:

@TMTrainer quote:

I still don't like the idea of random resistances (to magic and physical damage)...

It isn't to magic and physical damage. It's to elemental (poison, shock and fire). The physical and magic resistance was a pain in the nuts to deal with, since it rendered almost all tower combos useless.

I just want to add, that the current DU structure does not accommodate multi resistances, so that will never happen unless they go back on resent changes which would make no sense.

@Nefhith quote:

@TMTrainer quote:

it never was pain.It was cool...and you should think how to build any path.
Combos will be useless only if you'll put them on wrong resistance lane.

@Rose quote:

@Nefhith quote:

@TMTrainer quote:

No, back when resistances were a thing, people still used the same build. They used Huntress traps and swapped between Elemental Chaos and Normal traps when using spheres. Elemental Chaos was magic damage, Normal traps were physical.

@TMTrainer quote:

@Rose quote:

@Nefhith quote:

@TMTrainer quote:

No, back when resistances were a thing, people still used the same build. They used Huntress traps and swapped between Elemental Chaos and Normal traps when using spheres. Elemental Chaos was magic damage, Normal traps were physical.

I played this time and i loved it - never feeled it as pain.
If you don't wanna switch spheres you can use monk's auras that time,whatever.
but it's not like now - same build for all lanes.Boooriiiing.
and...
"Elemental Chaos was magic damage, Normal traps were physical."
It's still.
________
Now here's many ways to build phys lane or mage resist way with different kind of builds and defences.

@Rose quote:

@TMTrainer quote:

@Rose quote:

@Nefhith quote:

@TMTrainer quote:

I played this time and i loved it - never feeled it as pain.
If you don't wanna switch spheres you can use monk's auras that time,whatever.
but it's not like now - same build for all lanes.Boooriiiing.
and...
"Elemental Chaos was magic damage, Normal traps were physical."
It's still.
________
Now here's many ways to build phys lane or mage resist way with different kind of builds and defences.

You don't get the point. We have the same problem now than we did then. There was 1 tower that was far too good because of the situation that the game put us in... why gear any other tower builder when you can just min-max a Trap Huntress and clear both the Physical and Magic lanes of mobs.

The build back then was Traps, Frosty, Walls, Boost Aura and Serenity. I forget what was used for AA.

PDT will be getting nerfed, there's no "ifs" or "buts" about it, and no matter how much you don't want it, it will get nerfed, the double damage bug is a problem yes, but nerfing it will not kill the use of it, my PDT huntress only does about 130k with the DoT explosion, half of that is still effective in NM4. And you don't really need that tower to get through that difficulty, I can still clear NM4 with just a squire and purge evil monk, PDT isn't needed, and the bug should be fixed, that's all.

@TMTrainer quote:You don't get the point. We have the same problem now than we did then. There was 1 tower that was far too good because of the situation that the game put us in... why gear any other tower builder when you can just min-max a Trap Huntress and clear both the Physical and Magic lanes of mobs.

The build back then was Traps, Frosty, Walls, Boost Aura and Serenity. I forget what was used for AA.

I still don't see here any problem.
Also at this time i used different builds just for fun,they all was pretty good.
(Traps was good for just ground build,auras was good cause it have vertical range too so it may hit air also)
P.S.We used AA for AA mostly :D after they added balist passive and it depends from air resists...as i remember most of them (or even all) was mage resist so balists was better.

Now people don't know how their defences work....and they don't need to know.