Terraria & Dungeon Defenders 2 Crossover!

@Tristaris quote:

I'd much rather see dev time spent on core problems with the game, rather than another cash grab, but whatever I guess. I'm not going to buy it, until I see *** that matters to me start to be addressed rather than endless heroes and ignoring blatant gameplay issues.

How dare a game developer try to make money in order to further develop the game. I agree completely. The entire team should be working for free until the game is complete and then try to make money from it. Actually, they shouldn't even be working for free. They should be putting their own money on the line to buy the development tools that they need, pay for office space and utilities, servers, and everything else, and then they should volunteer their time to work on the game for free until it is finished.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Tristaris quote:

I'd much rather see dev time spent on core problems with the game, rather than another cash grab, but whatever I guess. I'm not going to buy it, until I see *** that matters to me start to be addressed rather than endless heroes and ignoring blatant gameplay issues.

I mean... It's free to play, so no one has to buy it anymore. 

@Vagnar quote:

@Tristaris quote:

*Cough* PS4 *Cough*

@Yoeblue quote:

@Vagnar quote:

@Tristaris quote:

*Cough* PS4 *Cough*

We aren't real people though!

Lol, I never played Terraria so I don't get all those character/weapon references, but I'll believe you guys when you say they'll be exciting. 

@MushroomCake28 quote:

Lol, I never played Terraria so I don't get all those character/weapon references, but I'll believe you guys when you say they'll be exciting. 

https://youtu.be/qhz8GsIM-go That's Meowmere. Sword that fires rainbow kittens.

Also shows some other stuff. Definitely should give it a shot too though. Such a chill game.

Edit: https://youtu.be/Ad_rc0H3IrI SDMG. Pretty much the perfect companion to my Narwhagon. Life is complete.

[[131681,users]]-Sha-Bom quote:

@Tristaris quote:

How dare a game developer try to make money in order to further develop the game. I agree completely. The entire team should be working for free until the game is complete and then try to make money from it. Actually, they shouldn't even be working for free. They should be putting their own money on the line to buy the development tools that they need, pay for office space and utilities, servers, and everything else, and then they should volunteer their time to work on the game for free until it is finished.

Um, that is how games have been funded for a long time. The developer and, possibly, publisher fund the development with their own money and money from investors with the hope that, after the game is released, they will be able to sell enough copies/DLC/merchandise/etc to make more money than was invested.

The (popularization of?) make-money-during-early-access business model is a recent development in the world of game development.

I won't deny that game developers have every right to do this sort of thing, but that does not mean they cannot or should not be criticized for it.

@CollectorOfBolts quote:

I won't deny that game developers have every right to do this sort of thing, but that does not mean they cannot or should not be criticized for it.

I won't deny that you have the right to criticize them, but that doesn't make you or anyone else immune to criticism yourself.

I get the point of this money and all but the game needs to be fixed before we get an influx of new players. The lag and crashing issues will turn new players off. The core gameplay is there but it needs stability before anything else.

@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:

@CollectorOfBolts quote:

I won't deny that you have the right to criticize them, but that doesn't make you or anyone else immune to criticism yourself.

Fair enough. Freedom of speech is an infinite-way street.

That said, I find your post that I quoted to be more mockery than criticism. If you want someone to take your criticism seriously, I would recommend simply stating your views and (respectfully) offering counter-points.

<s> Aw, who am I kidding?! This is the internet! 1, 2, 3, 4, I declare a flame war! </s>

We're still working like crazy to reliably reproduce the multi-builder lag issue in house.

PLEASE try to send us specific video of when it happens and post it on our Community Bug Reporting Forum.

To make it even easier, here's the link to the bug itself: https://bugs.dungeondefenders2.com/home/bug/80/multiple-builder-lag-issue 

(I don't know why the link doesn't work... just highlight and copy/paste -_-)

that link is dead skeleton.png and video concerning multi-builder lag issue was posted by Pandynator weeks ago.... cheers!

@Elandrian quote:

We're still working like crazy to reliably reproduce the multi-builder lag issue in house.

PLEASE try to send us specific video of when it happens and post it on our Community Bug Reporting Forum.

To make it even easier, here's the link to the bug itself: https://bugs.dungeondefenders2.com/home/bug/80/multiple-builder-lag-issue 

if you join my party you'll get lag as much as you want.... if I start building beside another archer.png It is fine when party replays the map.... most of the time multi-builder lag is gone.

@MamaTata quote:

that link is dead skeleton.png and video concerning multi-builder lag issue was posted by Pandynator weeks ago.... cheers!

@Elandrian quote:

We've checked out the Pandynator vids, we just need more instances of the lag happening for investigation. :)

@Elandrian quote:

We've checked out the Pandynator vids, we just need more instances of the lag happening for investigation. :)

I'm going to pretend I know what I'm talking about for a minute, but Diablo had a similar issue in multiplayer games. The lag came from how dynamic damage calculations were programmed. They used snapshotting, and when multiple players were all casting lots of skills, the game was crunching numbers so hard that it caused massive slowdown for everyone. Mayne it's something similar to that? Game trying to keep track of multiple players and the constant buffs/debuffs and how potent skills used at any moment should be is just too much at times.

I know Diablo tweaked the snapshotting code some, and it did change how people exploited that mechanic, but it also helped a ton with moment to moment lag. After that they started tweaking it to make it less abusable.

@Elandrian quote:

@MamaTata quote:

play public games.... maybe that might help :)

the thing... just play with 4 guys and all 4 build and then just the ultramega secret multibuild lag appears... wat an easter egg.

hit g... dont forget about it

@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:

@Tristaris quote:

Where did I ever say they shouldn't be "allowed to try to make money to further develop the game?" 

They've been doing that for a while now - see the last few heroes/costumes etc. Why should I continue to throw money at something when I've not seen any actual progress towards fixing the portion of the game I care about? Legitimate question by the way. I've been waiting on end game content, and a fix for onslaught for quite a long time now, as well as changes to the garbage loot system that currently plagues the game. 

Yes, it's certainly nice to have stuff like new heroes and whatnot, but there comes a point where I personally have to draw a line and that line has been far since passed because I haven't seen any information on anything that addresses my problems currently, and all I see are heroes being thrown at the community one by one and I find it honestly a slap in the face. Yeah sure they have to make money, that's fine, but adding even more to the pile of the already massive pile of *** that needs to change doesn't make much sense in my honest opinion. 

I'll get some bull*** response from someone like you again, but I don't care honestly. I'm here to voice an opinion, and Trendy can do with it what they will. But they won't milk another dime from me until they can give me solid evidence of meaningful gameplay changes, instead of throwing yet another hero down the communities throat for them to buy.

TL;DR - Yeah, they gotta make money. No *** sherlock. They also need to fix problems, which I haven't seen any sign of those changes coming anytime soon. I'm open to be surprised though, hence the reason I still check here regularly. 

@Vagnar quote:

@Elandrian quote:

I'm going to pretend I know what I'm talking about for a minute, but Diablo had a similar issue in multiplayer games. The lag came from how dynamic damage calculations were programmed. They used snapshotting, and when multiple players were all casting lots of skills, the game was crunching numbers so hard that it caused massive slowdown for everyone. Mayne it's something similar to that? Game trying to keep track of multiple players and the constant buffs/debuffs and how potent skills used at any moment should be is just too much at times.

I know Diablo tweaked the snapshotting code some, and it did change how people exploited that mechanic, but it also helped a ton with moment to moment lag. After that they started tweaking it to make it less abusable.

This would make sense though. Have you ever noticed that when an ogre spawns, if you deal enough damage all at once, the Health Bar of the Ogre or special enemy only seems to go down per second rather than every time it's dealt damage? When I play solo, Ogre health and such will go down each hit that's landed (e.g. dealing 30k per hit and I can watch the life count down by increments of 30k) rather than counting damage and just totalling the damage dealt in the one second and applying it then (e.g. 5 30k hits land in half a second, the damage doesn't register until the second is up and then 150k damage is applied).  I wonder if part of the issue lies with too much damage being dealt by towers all at once and the game tries to process each hit individually on enemies rather than being reduced to dealing a total amount of damage per second?  Adding in multiple builders would mean the game would keep track of not just each individual hit to normal mobs, but also factor in the specific player that hit the mob creating more things for the game to try and process? I would assume it HAS to keep track of which specific player hits the mob, this would be why PDT's from the same player don't stack.

Hope that all makes sense and just a thought.

@Koudspeel quote:

What about the barbarian that's been sitting at the character creation screen for ages? 

- a passionate DD2 player

THIS! IS! THE! MOST! IMPORTANT! QUESTION! EVER!

@SpiderDanX quote:

@Koudspeel quote:

What about the barbarian that's been sitting at the character creation screen for ages? 

- a passionate DD2 player

THIS! IS! THE! MOST! IMPORTANT! QUESTION! EVER!

He is currently in traning, strengething his muscles in the wild northern mountains of Etheria. So he can swing even bigger axes even faster around.

Is what what i heard was what iamisoms friend said. Gobu.

Just imagin when he is able to to pulverise any enemy, how would his new skill look "mountain smasher" which literally smashed the highest northern mountain into dust, how would it look if he does that... on a goblin! Just imagin this... holy gobu. I think the goblin might travel into another diminsion...

MAYBE the gate we are seeing to terararararia is actually one of the causes from this deadly barbarian attack!

while a cross-over does seem awesome and something to be hyped for, especially since i use to love terraria. Im kinda on the bandwagon of, stuff should be fixed before adding new stuff. I mean, yeah, bringing in new players is a key thing to do, but, do you really wanna expose all your horrible god aweful bugs and issues to a bunch of new people? I mean, yeah, you need publicity, but you are basically trying to publicize all your bugs that is ruining the game for a lot of people and do you really want that kind of rep? I cant imagine that could be good for business.

I love the idea of getting to play the Dryad, but what good is a new hero or a new map or new items, if all the bugs and god aweful rng and this failure of a "Loot 2.0" is still around, i wont have fun with it at all, it'll just be more chores to do and waste my time on cause i want my chars to be good and ready in the hopes this crap does eventually get fixed.

Admittedly think it's cute people keep sharing their opinions like it's changing the schedule, or TE doesn't want to fix bugs or isn't aware of them.

Quit wasting your breath guys. They have a roadmap and they're sticking to it. Be excited for the new content or don't, but repeating yourselves isn't changing anything right now.