Sign in to follow this  
Kuugen

Event Re-Runs

I doubt I really have to state that most of the people that did the events back in the day have long since moved on.

I presume most of the old event maps are still around so it's mostly a matter of organizing the time frame (and the items). Sure, we could replay them on open for "fun" but that is not really the same, not even close. That excitement when you sign up, get a host, do your run with friends or a PUG, and get your reward item (for beating it).

Now, I know the dozen or so people that still have those event items will scream sodom and gomorrah that their prized events will be worth a bit less. But that's the riches of the few versus the good of the many. If we listened to that, we would be nerfing the hell out of lab because a few shout loudly that the many should have their explo- EHEM, fabulous toy taken away.

I don't really see the upside for the community in a "tough luck, events are one time only" stance.

A bunch of effort into creating events probably goes into the map itself and since those are already supplied by the event having been run before, it is just a time frame issue, like I've said.

It certainly shouldn't take away time from the development team, at least not much. This should probably go hand in hand with hiring some new event hosts, to be honest.

A strong no to this.
Game is largely based off economy, and right now its on a ventilator. If old event items are re-added, multiple active players will feel the heat that have played a obnoxious sum for the event items. Just no!

I agree that Lab-Assault has led to major exploiting and what not(which needs to be fixed), however events were totally optional. Repeating them is fine as long as the rewards aren't the same. That way you can still have your fun in playing them, but get different rewards. Something that was intended to be limited, should be limited. BUT, if this is adopted, i.e. re-running old event maps but with new rewards, then the question will arise, why not just have new maps with rewards itself?
So in the end it seems to be a no-brainer to bring in old maps but give new rewards. Much rather have new maps and new rewards.

PS: There were plans to re-run (OFFICIAL)Easter Event, but there was never a plan to re-run (COMMUNITY) Events. I know some guys will use this argument against me, becasue of the stance I've taken w.r.t. Bunny Costume, so I'm clarifying here itself -- these are 2 different things.

"Game is largely based off economy, and right now its on a ventilator"

And yet the community constantly chooses to devalue their own currency (MK2s, Small Chickens). Not to mention, events hardly happen often enough to consist of most of the economy. If anything, re-running events gives poorer people a chance to actually come into some money and it will relax the absurd inflation that is going on.

And you seem to be under the misconception that everyone here has been playing since the dawn of time, which is just not the case. So because a few players would be inconvenienced, we shouldn't do it. And in the very next paragraph you want to inconvenience those that run lab all day, the few, since obviously all the haves already finished farming it. Very hypocritical.

And running lab is also optional, heck it is even a DLC map, I am not sure who you think is forcing people to run it. But unlike Lab, events might have happened before someone had a chance to pick up the game. Your entire argument is based on a double standard.

And if I wanted "new rewards", (here we go, the sodom and gomorrah complaining about devaluing, something that happens anyway every time the next fancy weapon/pet/whatever comes out), I would not be suggesting re-runs. Did it ever occur to you that people would just like to have a chance to get those items like other people did, without being expected to farm for hundreds of hours and attempt to buy an item nobody might even sell?

And I am not sure where exactly you're getting this strange idea from that events were never intended to be repeated. Do you have all the event makers and trendy staff on record saying so? Or is this just what you personally would like to be true?

Is this by any chance a case of being salty coz you don't have the old event items?

New players can get the riches by selling new events. 
it's the same principle. There is no double standard here, you are just talking rubbish when you bring in Lab Assault in the case of event re-runs. There is no connection between the two, one is a broken, highly exploitable issue in the game, and the other is well... no point in explaining this to you, since you've already made up your mind regarding this issue. :-)

And yes, I have talked with plenty of ex-Event Hosts in the past, and there were no plans for events to be re-run, unless this has changed somehow under the CDT, then I don't know. The only thing there was in the past was -- a random giveaway of few of the previous Polybius items(Shield of Mirrors, Djinn's Hat, Odin's Mask, etc) if I remember correctly. Apart from that there hasn't ever been a re-run talk, becasue of obvious reasons --  its pointless to re-drop old items. As far the Easter Event being planned for re-runs, read Ice's(Trendy Staff) post on the Bunny Costume thread.

"Did it ever occur to you that people would just like to have a chance to get those items like other people did, without being expected to farm for hundreds of hours and attempt to buy an item nobody might even sell?"
Yes, definitely a case of being salty. 100%.

BTW, I've missed plenty of events, all the early ones and I'm not even remotely as "rich" as most of the people here. But I don't go running around asking for event re-runs. Its not gonna happen, heck it shouldn't happen. If you missed an event for a legitimate reason, then the event staff is more than willing to accommodate you at a later date. But coming up to them with this reason that "I haven't been here since dawn of time, so give me event items" just doesn't make any sense.

Thanks, I'm out! :-)

While events are a great place for people to play with friends and hopefully meet some new ones, a lot of the fun that comes with events is having that new challenge to try out. The idea of repeating events has been brought up before, but a lot of people feel as though this kind of cheapens the experience. With all that being said, Acen and myself (and hopefully Mischif for a while longer) do plan on trying to create more events so that this is something that can happen more often. Making new event items goes pretty fast once the idea is in place (and there are plans to bring back community voted event item ideas). 

@harry4550 quote:

(and there are plans to bring back community voted event item ideas). 

Now I just have to get the community to agree that we all need an event chicken gun.

I am highly against event re-runs. Not because I fear for the economy, and also not because I feal any kind of dread when someone gets an item I thaught was "unique" and "one time only". But because a lot of the event items are blatantly over powered and I like to be able getting better stuff even if it's just a slight improvement. I do not want an overpowered rainmaker making any staff farming obsolete and if most of the people run around with all the overpowered events and the CDT starts to make maps balanced around their stats its just kinda going to ruin the game (At least all the new content..). This is the same reason I am against new event items like the NPC and Vortex items.

But I think the newest event items are great they are not way overpowered and have obvious drawbacks (high negatives). Please keep the items in that range from now on.

PS: I know my post here is pretty hypocritical since I do own the NPC and Vortex items and am also using them. It might sound like I don't want other people to also have these op items. But that really is not what this is. It's just that I happen to have them and they are my best Items so I also want to use them. I also have a set of characters where I limited myself to only lvl 60 gear and to be honest the gameplay with those is often much more fun, apart from the fact that I mostly have to play alone because there are almost no other lvl 60 players.

The CDT is already making maps balanced around their stats.  The phoenix is basically designed for rainmaker.

By the way, the NPC and vortex shield are clearly OP, but you can do significantly better than the sword, so I don't think that one's a big deal.

While I would personally not be against reusing an event item for an event I am against using the same map. While and old event map may be new to most people it would still be a rerun for some and I feel like that would be cheating them out of a new and unique experience. 

As for op items I am personally very against them and would much rather see items that are useable but easy to farm something better. I hate seeing everyone running around using the same thing and listening to new people complain that it is unfair/ they can't do this because they don't have this item. 

[[46188,users]]

I understand missing out on events.  I missed a bunch myself because no one told me about them for 7 months while I played.  :(

However, as harry mentioned, we are trying to get some more focus on doing events on a more frequent basis so we dont have to reuse an event.  That should at least provide the fun you talked about of running the events.

Also, I try to do giveaways/contests here and there with extra event items so that it gives newer people a chance to obtain an item without having to try and save up lots of currency to obtain one.  While that is one way to do it, some dont care about trading.  

As for future event items, our goal is to make them usable but not OP compared to similar items that can drop in game.

@ddace quote:

Kuugen

I understand missing out on events.  I missed a bunch myself because no one told me about them for 7 months while I played.  :(

However, as harry mentioned, we are trying to get some more focus on doing events on a more frequent basis so we dont have to reuse an event.  That should at least provide the fun you talked about of running the events.

Also, I try to do giveaways/contests here and there with extra event items so that it gives newer people a chance to obtain an item without having to try and save up lots of currency to obtain one.  While that is one way to do it, some dont care about trading.  

As for future event items, our goal is to make them usable but not OP compared to similar items that can drop in game.

good but some OP ones won't be bad if you ask me :D

@kg4q quote:

@ddace quote:

Kuugen

good but some OP ones won't be bad if you ask me :D

I personally agree since OP items can be fun to use at times, or all the time for some people.  It is hard to make an item that fits such a range of players so a range of items makes sense to me.  However I am not the only one with input on how items end up.  That is decided by the team and feedback from the community on previous items.  

The biggest problems with OP items is that it can remove the desire to farm gear if there is nothing better and can hurt a players natural progression in the game.  For those that have done pretty much everything though, OP items don't have that much effect. 

In the end, you can't please everyone because the range of players and their tastes are so varied.  

Making it a choice of purposes is much better if you ask me. Like the last event did. A 4 player cat with a bigger boost (marginal but bigger) and a 6 player cat with a smaller boost. Or the tower vs DPS hat.

You can further specialize this with ease. Offer a choice of a Monk vs Summoner pet. Even if someone only plays DPS, this will automatically be auctioned then, giving the DPS player currency. Offer a special Bloodshot staff (no poison damage but bloodshot pattern) vs a special Steamsaw/Gladius. Again, tower-only people will sell these and there will be enough people to buy those.

The stronger the items (and you should tell people about the rough range of the stats on these a while before the event so you can get sufficient hype and word of mouth going) the more people will sign up obviously.

Events are not meant to be in place for a get rich quick scheme. They are meant to be a fun challenge with friends to help break up the grinding. 

@harry4550 quote:

Events are not meant to be in place for a get rich quick scheme. They are meant to be a fun challenge with friends to help break up the grinding. 

Well currently it is, just looking at recent auctions ;) This wouldn't be the case when events can be done at any time. Also it would mean that the event hosts won't have to run everyone, releasing some pressure of them. Finally this would make paypal shops a lot more unattractive.

However, especially your second sentence would make much more sense when events can be re-run.

I had a nice argument and everything, in two threads, and both times this disgusting piece of trash forum logged me out and ate my post. So *** this, I am out, I give up.

@Plane quote:

The CDT is already making maps balanced around their stats.  The phoenix is basically designed for rainmaker.

By the way, the NPC and vortex shield are clearly OP, but you can do significantly better than the sword, so I don't think that one's a big deal.

hey there are us with our Ult+ / ++ 420+ up bloodshots here don't ignore us.

Also i have to agree with everyone here bringing back events that have a set value from the past would be a terrible idea for the market i have already done a detailed break down of the economy and how it is dieing and without assistance (not gonna happen due to play count) will continue on this route. in that analysis i stated that event items are the only item that can properly retain a set value for the eternity of the game. meaning that with re-runs that would be false making the market unstable. if you likethe cummonity on the forums trading please don't kill it faster by re-running events.

Also i have always felt that the item is not important it is the fun yo have running the event like i say i don't want to use a RM since i like bloodshots  more.

Before you call me one of those people that is a elitist about wanting his events to stay the same price (which i do have event items that would drop) notice first that i only got into the PC vertion of this game about 1 1/2 years ago (though i did play the mobile about 6 years ago) so i never had the chance to run any of these events meaning i got all my events through trading items. and one lucky giveaway for my steig.

I would personally also like this since i really don't care about the market of the game that much anymore and need a ton of event acc (kraken's good eye, etc) but i care for the community and don't want the market to collapse any faster.

have a good day

> Atherial

@kg4q quote:

we only need one thing ONE thing only 

An Event Milk pet then i can rest in piece 

If that ever happens, then i will never be able to rest in peace, and i would vender that thing sooooo fast

@Dark Dragon quote:

@kg4q quote:

If that ever happens, then i will never be able to rest in peace, and i would vender that thing sooooo fast

How Dare you call your self a Dungeon Defender player you're not worthy >:(

@kg4q quote:

@Dark Dragon quote:

@kg4q quote:

How dare me? How dare YOU for wanting such a **** pet >:)

@Dark Dragon quote:

@kg4q quote:

@Dark Dragon quote:

@kg4q quote:

How dare me? How dare YOU for wanting such a **** pet >:)

i can't believe what i'm seeing 

i DEMAND a permanent BANNED for this insult such thing is unethical >:(

@Atherial quote:
@Plane quote:

hey there are us with our Ult+ / ++ 420+ up bloodshots here don't ignore us.

BTW, I have a 423^ bloodshot and I use it for the phoenix :)  Doesn't change my opinion