Sign in to follow this  
Hodor

EV Nodes Explained

Wanted to put this out there to help explain how the EV nodes work. Singular vs Multi String Nodes

To determine the DU needed: 10 + ( 10 * x) X= the amount of nodes used. 

Singular string nodes do more damage, have have more chances to freeze, slow, stun, etc. In my opinion if you can afford the extra DU, try to use single strings near spawn points, or wherever you want to create a choke point. 

Hope this helps ;) 

I like this nice voice and how excited and happy he sounds when he reads the high damage numbers of the middle star formation <3. Gobu! You clearly notice how he enjoys this and that is the most important part of the game =)).

@dreamanime quote:

I like this nice voice and how excited and happy he sounds when he reads the high damage numbers of the middle star formation <3. Gobu! You clearly notice how he enjoys this and that is the most important part of the game =)).

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the damage output :) 

IF you're determining that each node does more damage because it has more contact with the hoard in comparison to The damage over time from a longer string.
Then the logical approach would be just to make a trip wire (parallel lines), however what you miss is the Aoe, so you create a star pattern.
So if you were to create a Star.
Wouldn't it be more efficient to do something along the lines of this, instead of making each node individually, it saves DU

CDXDZ8W.jpg

You also get the added bonus of summoning trendy developers in game.

Other than that, nice vids lad. Keep up the content

Good video! Thanks for sharing! 

A couple things I'd like to note:

- another way to explain PB nodes are 1st node = 20, +10 for the rest.

- Note that the middle lane was the heavy lane. So, of course there will be more dmg done on the PB nodes. If the right lane was the heavy lane, there would have been more dmg done there.

This leads to a question: Will there still be more collective dmg using your star formation if the single beam & the star beams had been reversed? 

I like the star that [[93260,users]] made. I do those quite often, except with 1 less node.

@Peekaboss quote:

Wouldn't it be more efficient to do something along the lines of this, instead of making each node individually, it saves DU

CDXDZ8W.jpg

Logical thinking, but wrong for one reason: a single proton beam can only hit an enemy once at the time, meaning that even if 2 of his strings touch an enemy, it is only going to hit him once. The advantage of placing multiple protons (meaning making a new one for each string) is that you can hit multiple times at the same time and enemy, highly increasing the chances to crit/freeze.

Thank you :). 

I made a video prior to this one, and the heavy lane was the 1 continuous node. I was utterly destroyed by doing that, and decided that it wasn't the video I should post, lol. Kobalts kept making it through and blowing up the dummy's and pdt's. I didn't check the collective damage done overall. Based on that, its safe to determine that the star pattern nodes also create a better choke point overall because very few kobalts made it through in the video. I will try to make another video focusing on the heavy lane and post it just to compare damage. Give me a bit and I'll get something up :) 

@SpiderDanX quote:

Good video! Thanks for sharing! 

A couple things I'd like to note:

- another way to explain PB nodes are 1st node = 20, +10 for the rest.

- Note that the middle lane was the heavy lane. So, of course there will be more dmg done on the PB nodes. If the right lane was the heavy lane, there would have been more dmg done there.

This leads to a question: Will there still be more collective dmg using your star formation if the single beam & the star beams had been reversed? 

I like the star that Peekaboss made. I do those quite often, except with 1 less node.

I'd be interested to see how the different setups fare during onslaught. Each lane's damage output is going to be at the mercy of what's coming down the lane; a threat lane is always going to get higher numbers than a lane solely of goblins.

I can certainly see the value of additional passive procs, but I'm not 100% convinced single nodes are inherently better than strings of 10.

I've had the most success doing a zig-zag of 5 nodes (long enough to cover spear thrower range), then zig-zag back to the wall with another 5 nodes to make a full 10-string. It would probably work better if I did two separate zig-zags of 5 since that would effectively double the damage output. Perhaps there's a balance between 10 nodes and 2 nodes that optimizes choke point with DPS output?

New video is up showcasing multi string nodes on the heavy lane, the results are pretty surprising :) 

I rewatched the gameplay while it was loading to youtube, the first lane did over 17 million in damage :) 

2:33 OH Hodor! Sizer ALWAYS Matters! :-P Haha! And Seriously, tho...the bigger the aura, the more time enemies spend in slow & possible explosions. But for your purposes for the video, slowness/explosion was not a factor. 

3:55 - the single beam did roughly 6 million after only 6 kills! WOW!! Just WOW!! 

4:53 - I am pretty sure there is a # hiding behind the "M" of "Max Health" I think you realized that too, which is why you clarified 17 mill under the video.

As far as dmg does, it seems single nodes bunched up do about the same (maybe more) as the star node. Also seems that the single bunched up nodes let more Kobolds go through.

Thanks for the double videos! :-)

@Hodor quote:

New video is up showcasing multi string nodes on the heavy lane, the results are pretty surprising :) 

I rewatched the gameplay while it was loading to youtube, the first lane did over 17 million in damage :) 

It definitely looks like the star nodes are better for choke points, damage seems to be the same. I'll keep an eye on it and see if anything changes. 

Thanks for all the input guys/gals :)  

Here are a few more formations you could try:

5jli0j4.png

I'd also love testing be more focused on higher-health enemies, like minibosses or ogres since that would be a much better gauge as to how much health they have remaining after walking through the setup. Total damage output is quite subjective and arbitrary in terms of measurement.

Nice vid Hodor! A few things though :) 

Maybe I missed something here but Panic Fire and Press your Luck don't work with Protons do they? I remember shortly after the EV2 was released this was patched in where those spheres do not work in conjunction. Through my own play I can say that you can not see these spheres engaging while active on the tooltip. Prior to the patch back then you actually could see the change on the tooltip. Even in your vids the attack speed never improves from .3 s. Before the EV2 patch you actually saw the tootip change to .15s.

In addition to truly compare the two setups you need to rerun wave one 3 different times on the heavy lane with the 3 different set ups. That way you get an "apples to apples" comparison. You should also rotate your continuous proton string 90 degrees to maximize the amount of time spent in the beam. (have it run length wise instead of across)

All in all it was a very informational video, great job!

On a completely different note and just a suggestion imo. Your game and mic levels should come way up, I personally had to crank up the volume to hear your wonderful voice clearly. This in turn leads to an increase in white noise as well.

Thank you for constantly providing insights to the community in a positive manner! Huge asset for the DD2 community.

Two long paralell lines running in the middle of the lane works best for me. Following the glowing trail. No crazy zigzag needed. There is no point in that. It just creates parts on each side (at the junctions) and/or in the middle where mobs don´t get hit. The mobs walk straight. Why 2? To spread out the area of effect, so at least one line always touches mobs, to double the dmg and chance of slow, especially for ogres, and to preserve health. If just one line, it would get destroyed quicker. 

Why longer lines instead of say - a star? Beacause I´ve seen many a kobold and witherbeast get past star formations and such and just keep running. The ogres (5mill health and more) have no problem in getting past a clump of protons and then he´s free to wander off, not being slowed or frozen. The longer lines always catches all the mobs, and slows ogres for a longer period. I never had an ogre survive the entire length of two paralell lines. 

On very wide lanes I sometimes do the criss cross thing but if I have DU for it, I´d rather have 3 or 4 paralell lines, to cover the wide lane.

M.

@Juicebags quote:

Nice vid Hodor! A few things though :) 

Maybe I missed something here but Panic Fire and Press your Luck don't work with Protons do they? I remember shortly after the EV2 was released this was patched in where those spheres do not work in conjunction. Through my own play I can say that you can not see these spheres engaging while active on the tooltip. Prior to the patch back then you actually could see the change on the tooltip. Even in your vids the attack speed never improves from .3 s. Before the EV2 patch you actually saw the tootip change to .15s.

In addition to truly compare the two setups you need to rerun wave one 3 different times on the heavy lane with the 3 different set ups. That way you get an "apples to apples" comparison. You should also rotate your continuous proton string 90 degrees to maximize the amount of time spent in the beam. (have it run length wise instead of across)

All in all it was a very informational video, great job!

On a completely different note and just a suggestion imo. Your game and mic levels should come way up, I personally had to crank up the volume to hear your wonderful voice clearly. This in turn leads to an increase in white noise as well.

Thank you for constantly providing insights to the community in a positive manner! Huge asset for the DD2 community.

Thanks for the tip Mr. Juicebags, I've been struggling with Mic issues for awhile. When I record gameplay THEN add the voice its much easier to control through Sony Vegas, I'm still trying to get the levels right on OBS. I will definitely give the apples to apples approach a try as well :). 

I was unaware that the panic fire, press your luck didn't work with the nodes anymore. I remember at one point in time it would roll for crits every .15 seconds. Any suggestions as to what to replace it with? EV2 doesn't really get many options for spheres (for now, hopefully). 

@gigazelle quote:

Here are a few more formations you could try:

5jli0j4.png

I'd also love testing be more focused on higher-health enemies, like minibosses or ogres since that would be a much better gauge as to how much health they have remaining after walking through the setup. Total damage output is quite subjective and arbitrary in terms of measurement.

Another fun one to do (if you have the DU) is this: 

http://imgur.com/a/lr37D

For some reason it doesn't hot link the pics for me, does the site not like imgur? 

Sadly [[158136,users]] I don't believe there are 4 that work directly with Protons. I use chill, oil, and then do random stuff with the other 2. I currently have a separate proton and buff beam/reflect ev2 so the extra 2 spots usually go to nothing sadly :( When I used one I went with +2 reflect nodes and then shattering torpedo for reflects as well.

Sigh... this is why we can't have nice things :P.

I took your advice and am currently rendering part 3 of the video series, I broke down all the numbers so everyone could see the damage by video/heavy lane. So hopefully it can be of some help. I also managed to fix my mic issue, just had to turn on the boost :). Thanks again! 

@Juicebags quote:

Sadly Hodor I don't believe there are 4 that work directly with Protons. I use chill, oil, and then do random stuff with the other 2. I currently have a separate proton and buff beam/reflect ev2 so the extra 2 spots usually go to nothing sadly :( When I used one I went with +2 reflect nodes and then shattering torpedo for reflects as well.

Gonna get it uploaded tonight or is it too late? I am anxious to watch :)

Just for you young man :) 

Note all the damage from all 3 videos is listed in the comments section of the video. 

Personally I go with the 3 x 3 node proton beams in the V shape fairly close to each other so my defense down a lane have the ability to catch those enemies who like to stray down to the left or right side while having concentrated damage down the middle for those unlucky to be big enough to be hit by more than one. 

Unless I'm doing Daemon's Lair then it's just 2 parallel lines :D

@Juicebags quote:

Sadly Hodor I don't believe there are 4 that work directly with Protons. I use chill, oil, and then do random stuff with the other 2. I currently have a separate proton and buff beam/reflect ev2 so the extra 2 spots usually go to nothing sadly :( When I used one I went with +2 reflect nodes and then shattering torpedo for reflects as well.

As Juicebags said above, Shattering torpedo is really good to use as it adds a instak kill to frozen enemies. Very effective! Costly, but effective! 

Reflect walls are calculated as such:

40 for 1st node + 20 for each node after that.

In regards to Buff Beams, those are 30 for 1st node and + 30 for the rest.

.....while I'm at it....Weapon Manufacturer (really great to use if you are using a DPS EV2) are 50 for 1st node/aura and +40 for the rest.