Sign in to follow this  
Zimmermann

The new and improved Pet abilities, how good are they?

So I was pretty hyped about this change, and going from having one pet on each of my characters and almost non in my bags, I farmed up a legendary water pet, quickly maxed him out and rerolled Drenching Wave.

My plan was to create a pet that would synergies with my Lightning Auras and Sky Dragon's Fury weapon, allowing me to stack up some Thunderballs on top of a lightning aura, and then as an Ogre walks in... use my pet Drench ability on him to get a nice electrocute stun in the stacked damage for 2-5 seconds taking into account stun diminishing returns.

The end result, it works fine on mini bosses, but ogres... and as one would imagine take one tick of the electrocute stun, and then keep walking. This pet has less effect on Ogres then the Sphere Concussive Chi. It is I think reasonable to assume pets should have CC capabilities against Ogres seeing that, Spheres, abilities and defenses already do.

This made me pretty sad as I thought who cares about a hard hitting pet, when I could go for a unique Crowd control "build specific" pet instead, sure it might be weaker in some cases (for those burst DPS maps Altar, citadel etc) but it would be awesome to actually have a pet that was unique to this build.

I didn't simply want a stun pet, I wanted a pet that stunned only because I was combining elements. 

Now sure this pet works on trash, and mini bosses, but they are simply not a threat on most maps even with the incredibly weak power of a Lightning Aura centric build due to my very high ipwr gear.

Drench in general being buffed would be a bad thing due to a possible perma-crowd control build, so I am not saying that. But allowing Ogres to at least have a period (though shorter then other monsters) of normal vulnerability to Drench before becoming immune would at least bring them inline with other CC effects.

Finally, I think the pet changes was a nice improvement, making all pets a lot stronger while nerfing the completely out of touch power of Dragolitch, but its clear pets have a long way to still go.

So in closing, If I want an impactful pet without going back to dragolitch (which I do not want to do), is the only realistic option a damage output pet? seeing as they are pretty unanimously used only to counter Ogres.

What do you guys think?

• Are the best pets just damage output pets?
  • Are there unique CC pets out there that are really strong or synergise with your build?
  • Is Dragolitch still the best option?
  • Am I wrong or being unrealistic to want pets that synergise with builds rather then raw power pets?

Trendy or more [[4370,users]] i belive talked about pets and what they can do and what they also hope they can do to increase the variation of them.

I think you actually have a hidden good suggestion for it here. They talked about maybe pets which do not have an active abitility but a weaker constant passive one which is active on its own the whole time.

An example here would be like a small cloud pet, which does nothing more then rain constantly in a radius around you (like the monk cloud from the staff) and makes the enemys wet. Nothing more nothing less. Such pets would be pretty interesting too and could give different effects to a certain amount of enemys or in an area. Or a lightning pet that randomly lighting strikes 3-6 wet enemys to trigger the stun. These pets would do no damage but offer utility in form for combo attacks only.

I need to check that out on my drenching wave pet to be honest, it worked fine on bosses a few month ago when i used it alot. mmh really need to check it.

On the other hand, yeah poison tips and big damage output pets are quit. Curse pet aoe is pretty strong too for you can buff it up highly.

I think Poison tips might be the strongest one currently, as long as you have 1 lich guy in the party.

@Peekaboss quote:

bearkira is the best for CC

its just a slow right? or is the slow super powerful? as 40% doesn't seem much seeing as my SA is 35% and is barely noticeable. Or is the combo of SA+Bearkira really nice?

@dreamanime quote:

I need to check that out on my drenching wave pet to be honest, it worked fine on bosses a few month ago when i used it alot. mmh really need to check it.

It still works on bosses, just not on ogres. Ogres are effected by the ability, but I get maybe one 1 second electricute on every 5-6 uses, which is just awful.

None of the pets provide the impact I'd like them to. They either still lack the presence or the fun they had prior to the patch. This was a solid first step in the process, but yeah, I see many are unhappy with these cooldowns, which is easily my biggest complaint. 

Both are important, but balance should always take a backseat to fun. Find what's FUN first, THEN balance around that.

@Vagnar quote:

None of the pets provide the impact I'd like them to. They either still lack the presence or the fun they had prior to the patch. This was a solid first step in the process, but yeah, I see many are unhappy with these cooldowns, which is easily my biggest complaint. 

Both are important, but balance should always take a backseat to fun. Find what's FUN first, THEN balance around that.

Yeah the game is lacking in the fun department.