Sign in to follow this  
KnowsNoLimits

Well this new Milestone is underwhelming

Let me start with the "Big Thing". Once again pandering to bringing in new players and neglecting established players. So Xbox/Mac versions confirmed most likely. This should of never been hyped,

Now from the dev log

Now let's touch on the dotted points quickly and I'm going to be fair here.

• Nightmare Refactor? Can you be any more cryptic.
  • New Tier of Gear? Awesome no point farming anything in your game until then.
  • Eternia Levels? If the 4 main Shard Levels are returning then I hope they bring with them each enemy unique to them. ie Sharken, Spiders, Djinn and Goblin Copters.
  • Improved Item Generation? Well your passive system is ass, I'm not surprised.
  • Power rating? I have no idea if this is to do with ipwr or what.
  • Improved Inventory UI and UX for cross platform? Very nice.
  • Smart Loot System with Hero Specific Gear. Eh not so sure on this one. Your ass passive system should of been addressed before this, way too much RNG to contend with. Your passive system is over kill.
Sounds amazing right?

Now the kick in the balls, "these changes will be revealed in the coming Months". Empaphis on Months. Then why make a video saying after the Campaign re-vamp you guys were going to ramp up the end game for hardcore players? When you aren't doing that for Months now?

Inventory sounds amazing and is looking real good, so well done there. However it's not going to change anything to the core gameplay. So I'm most likely going to check this new pet patch out and see how long it will hold my attention and if end game players really get nothing this patch. Then I'm going to most likely drop the game until they do start getting something.

Which according to you guys at Trendy is Months away.

Don't worry though, I know people enjoy my rants about Nightmare and what End game should have in it to help make it successful. So those won't stop.

I pretty much agree with this. Looks like medals are the only thing worth farming again for another few months.

Next milestone is the surprise. (Everyone should like this, end game and new players alike!)

We've been working on the surprise for a number of months, and as much as we'd love to jump into the end game milestone as soon as possible, it's important we conclude and release the surprise.

The milestone after that is the End Game stuff as vaguely described on the blog. Gotta disagree hard with you calling it "underwhelming" - and pretty sure most folks will too when the time comes. :)

@Dani quote:

Next milestone is the surprise. (Everyone should like this, end game and new players alike!)

We've been working on the surprise for a number of months, and as much as we'd love to jump into the end game milestone as soon as possible, it's important we conclude and release the surprise.

The milestone after that is the End Game stuff as vaguely described on the blog. Gotta disagree hard with you calling it "underwhelming" - and pretty sure most folks will too when the time comes. :)

I'm waiting to see what this milestone has that's going to keep me interested then, so far the concept of bringing even more new players is good for you, but does nothing for the rest of us. the Inventory revamp looks awesome and is for everyone at least.

However so far it's like [[130078,users]] mentioned, Turn on game, do dailies, buy pets and turn off game. Wait few months for the real End game changes.

You guys do a good job in alot of areas and I'm always going to give you guys props for it. However current end game just continues to be neglected for your established player base and that is what I have a beef with. The rest is golden.

I'm glad you disagree with me though, if everyone agreed on everything well that would be boring.

I'm very curious how they'll add a new tier for gears. I mean... what will it add? Except maybe adding a new passive slot (which would make legendary trash compare to the new tier), 14-15 points difference between legendary and new tier (Ultimate I suppose) isn't going to make it worth. I hope they have something up their sleeves (like add defense speed/range to the new tier as a third stat.... :))) 

@Dani quote:

I'm glad to hear that the surprise is an actual update. The dev log left me feeling like it was just a new marketing campaign without any changes to the game.

Here's to hoping the surprise is the movement of passives to spheres. (Am I still allowed to dream about this?)

I'm getting super serious about marking everyone a troll that opens a thread about endgame twice a week. lol.

I just didn't want to write in here, but this thread with an offical reply will not die within the next few hours or so. Also if not in here, there's a new thread tomorrow for sure. Maybe I should just write in a number in each of such threads to count them down - that will not lead to any solution either.

The gears are grinding, you got me there fine. I'm cornered, the bad guys want my brain to tremble... solution, solution...

Got it. I will finally open my thread about suggestions, with actual usefull objections.

I can appreciate some of KnowsNoLimits and some other's frustration on the slow rate of progress. This game has so much potential, but SEEMINGLY in a whole year it has made very little progress towards that potential. The reality is that the team is very obviously small, and this game has a ton of work that still needs to be done. Unfortunately it is impossible for the DEV team to keep up with the pace at which players are able to progress. Many Early Access games are like this. Sometimes constructive criticism can be great, other times when patience begins to wear thin, it may be a good option just to step away from the game for a month or 3 while the Devs catch up.

It seems to me that their stated priority correctly aligns with what many of us are looking for.

I quote iamisom:

"Our #1 priority for Dungeon Defenders II is to create a rewarding hobby with the longevity to keep you entertained for a long time. That means improving core gameplay, fixing bugs and adding polish, polish, polish."

Just because I really want them to fix the endgame right now doesn't mean that is what is actually possible or the most time/money efficient thing for them to do right now. I think they fully understand that's what many of us want. It seems a bit OVERWELMING how strongly and rudely this keeps being brought up. At some point it becomes counter productive.

@KnowsNoLimits quote:
  • Eternia Levels? If the 4 main Shard Levels are returning then I hope they bring with them each enemy unique to them. ie Sharken, Spiders, Djinn and Goblin Copters.

I think it's something like Paragon levels in Diablo. 

The "big thing" will be a new pet called hype that has the ability "kick nuts". When activated it will fly around and kick you in the nuts stunning you for 2 seconds. 180 second cool down.

@Pegazul quote:

The "big thing" will be a new pet called hype that has the ability "kick nuts". When activated it will fly around and kick you in the nuts stunning you for 2 seconds. 180 second cool down.

Well, for such a big cooldown I would at least expect it to stun me for 5 seconds... Be realistic duuuh. 

@Pegazul quote:

Thank you, this pet nerf has had me feeling pretty negative about the game, but your post made me smile.

I am still pretty sure it involves at last 1 goblin... gobu. Big thingy i mean. Because for us that would be pretty big! Emoji_Kobalt.pngEmoji_Huntress.pngEmoji_Goblin.png

i dont like the sound of "Smart Loot" you're current system is total garbage no matter what way you look at it, even for those who love to do pure builds like every other player cause even farming for that can be a pain cause of passives and such.

"Smart Loot" needs to be smart while allowing players to be custom if they want, it shouldnt force everyone to do ONLY this or that build. If a player wants to be funky and have a HD/DP Huntress or something, they should be allowed to, wether or not it is a "best performance char" or not. It's fun and allows diversity. Smart Loot should allow that while also fixing this bs rng system you guys have now so EVERYONE can be happy. Well, happIER.

@Jojozityjo quote:

i dont like the sound of "Smart Loot" you're current system is total garbage no matter what way you look at it, even for those who love to do pure builds like every other player cause even farming for that can be a pain cause of passives and such.

"Smart Loot" needs to be smart while allowing players to be custom if they want, it shouldnt force everyone to do ONLY this or that build. If a player wants to be funky and have a HD/DP Huntress or something, they should be allowed to, wether or not it is a "best performance char" or not. It's fun and allows diversity. Smart Loot should allow that while also fixing this bs rng system you guys have now so EVERYONE can be happy. Well, happIER.

Honestly, the only way to make everyone happy is to add item rerolls. People who don't want to use hybrids will go insane without a lot of restrictions to the loadouts loot RNG could provide, and hybrid players wouldn't fair much better.

that's a whole other thing though, outside of droppable loot. Which im hoping, praying, it will be something you can do when and if trendy ever holds true to that old vote for a crafting system that won, honestly that could fix anything that droppable loot restrictions cant.

Im just saying, for now, Smart Loot could be made to be better for all interests than it currently is, in more ways than just what drops with what too. Such as, significantly reducing the variance in each passive, or outright removing them so when a passive rolls on gear, it's that same number all the time, so you dont have to worry about finally getting the right stats with passives just for the passives to roll with a completely garbage value x.x

Lord is it no fun to finally get that perfectly rolled gear, just for the passive to be such a small value that it's not even really worth it x.x

Or straigtening up passives to stats instead of stats to stats, cause, come on, wether you are building a hybrid or pure build, you dont want your HD/AP built Huntress or HD/DP EV to be rolling crit chance based passives, and yet they can roll with them with loot as is right now. Or other examples, like Viper Fang Tower Health passive on your DP/DCD or AP/DP gear.

@Vagnar quote:

@Jojozityjo quote:

Honestly, the only way to make everyone happy is to add item rerolls. People who don't want to use hybrids will go insane without a lot of restrictions to the loadouts loot RNG could provide, and hybrid players wouldn't fair much better.

The only way to make people happy is to make them feel that they have influence over how they build their characters. Loot should come with core stats with a number of points in them depending on how strong the loot is. Legendary loot should actually be rare. Then one should be able to clear all points by using medals for example, so one could put the points wherever one wanted. Not item rerolls... that is just more RNG. That way people feel ownership over the different characters that they shaped "themselves". 

The passives should go and the sphere system should have a complete overhaul, so to suit a wider variety of playstyles. One sphere I really like is the "split viper" sphere and the other one "slow death" because it is two different ways to use the same tower and basically determines how you would like to use them, and makes me feel I have control over my towers. I might be on my own with this but I would like if all towers had an "off" switch or a "firing mode" switch. I would love to have that kind of control over the towers.

I really agree with this:

@MaJean quote:

....The only way to make people happy is to make them feel that they have influence over how they build their characters.....

however I really think the solution is in some adjustments to the current loot system(which is now roughly guided RNG) along with some sort of crafting system that was somewhere in the plans a year or more back; also mentioned by JoJo here:
@Jojozityjo quote:

... im hoping, praying, it will be something you can do when and if trendy ever holds true to that old vote for a crafting system that won, honestly that could fix anything that droppable loot restrictions cant....

However, looking at the outlined schedule I am not sure where said system would fit in... I kind of doubt it is in phase 2 "the big thing." Nothing described in Phase 3 seems to describe it and according to the Creative Director Elliot Cannon:

"We’re designing and working on our Phase III features now, but they won’t be ready for a few months."

So after that we are left with somewhere in phase 4 or beyond to just maybe have a system that allows us to push beyond simple RNG and do a little bit of crafting. So to put this all in perspective time wise... Gear progression is going to be rough and tedious for 6 or more months at least by my estimations. It may improve a bit as they bring more of the game online but I would not set your expectations way high. Im actually very appreciative that Trendy shed some light on timeline/plans. Its a big project and I don't think it can or should be rushed.

More crying from the cry babies. I'm so shocked. Emoji_Monk.png

Myscha_Sleddog quote:

Phase III contains our endgame updates and improvements, which I’d like to go over at a high level here for you today. We’re designing and working on our Phase III features now, but they won’t be ready for a few months. It’s our goal to give them as much polish and iteration time as possible -- you’ve been eager for these changes, and we want to make sure they meet your expectations and meet ours, too.

We won’t share details now, but here’s a snapshot of Phase III:

• Nightmare Refactor

• New Tier of Gear

• Eternia Levels

• Improved Item Generation

• Power Rating

• Improved Inventory UI and UX for cross platform

• Smart Loot System with Hero Specific Gear

They're telling you how they are planning to work on end game play and and other QoL improvements for existing players so you immediate jump to the forums and complain about how existing players are being ignored. You are hopeless.

Disappointed they are not reworking passives on armor. The tightly coupled passives on armor is whats ruining end game for me. End game is about farming for best in slot loot. At the moment yes you can farm for BIS but its just not rewarding. When a legendary item drops it should be filled with excitement not "I wonder if this is vendor trash?". 

A socket system would work well, as suggested numerous times before.  

@cheeseburglr quote:

Disappointed they are not reworking passives on armor. The tightly coupled passives on armor is whats ruining end game for me. End game is about farming for best in slot loot. At the moment yes you can farm for BIS but its just not rewarding. When a legendary item drops it should be filled with excitement not "I wonder if this is vendor trash?". 

A socket system would work well, as suggested numerous times before.  

What do you think end game should be if it's not farming for perfect gear?

You can't say you're disappointed with what they are doing with gear when you don't even know what they are doing with it.

@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:

What do you think end game should be if it's not farming for perfect gear?

You can't say you're disappointed with what they are doing with gear when you don't even know what they are doing with it.

1. For me end game is farming for perfect gear/best gear. It is the reason why I continue playing a game even though I have completed every level and every challenge.

2. I can say I am disappointed because they never mentioned removing passives from armor. 

They mention what they are doing with gear:

• Improved Item Generation
  • Smart Loot System with Hero Specific Gear
No where does it mention removing passives from gear. The last point indicates they are still keeping the passives. There has been numerous discussions on why passives tied to gear is less than ideal. If they bring in trading it could rectify some of the issues.