It's been a while.

It's been a while since I've played and wanted to find out if end game had any sort of direction yet? Prior there was word going around that Onslaught was due to get a little love, but I'm not entirely sure there's been a whole lot that's changed in the game since the last time I played outside of a couple of different maps?

A new map and a shiny new interface is nice, but it doesn't have the same holding power having an actual reason to grind would, so I'm here and wondering what's new? Has there been any massive changes?  Are pets more fun than they were, or is it still Dragolich or bust? Onslaught changes? Is NM1-4 going to go through any changes so it's not the same thing only with higher numbers? (IIRC, there's zero reason to bother with 1-3, and you were generally better off making a friend who could build and just leeching a few pieces until you got established.) 

I could ramble on and on, but in general I'm curious if any of the core problems with the game have been addressed? I want to enjoy actual end game content, but Onslaught was always terrible, and I'd love to be able to log in and farm stuff like that like back in DD1. (Part of what I liked about DD1 was the different modes it had, and how you could go and farm different rewards, which seems to be completely missing from the current game, which is fine, but there needs to be something. I used to have a blast doing strategy mode, and stuff like that, etc..) 

So that said, can anyone shine some light on the current state of the game for me? While keeping it productive of course!

No endgame content yet. Better wait abit longer.

The campaign and early game is kinda "set" now and the next step for trendy is t he mid game. Endgame is still abit far away.

[[64852,users]] Nope not one of those things have been addressed yet. We are all waiting patiently to see what Trendy reveals. So if those things turned you off then they still will.

I can tell you that this milestone is focused on loot and inventory. Also they have a "big thing" planned. However they have also mentioned end game changes as well coming finally this milestone. Something for the hardcore players ***ing finally.

So keep your eyes peeled out. Your return will be sooner than you think if they deliver on that.

[[24592,users]] - Thanks for the feedback. I've skimmed over recent patches, and try to keep track of some things, but the last couple I haven't read through too thoroughly.

I sure hope that those in the boat of wanting something to do at end game, finally have something to sink their teeth into.

I'll certainly start keeping a closer eye on changes, if it's coming soonish.

Way I see it... This is what they do for a living. They want us to play. They'll listen. They have to prioritize though, and that's an internal thing based on way more data than just us on the forums. 

They'll definitely lose some players due to impatience, but they gotta do whatever to keep as many unique players invested. Idk if Steam charts provide that data. It shows concurrent players, but does it show how many unique accounts log in over various time periods? This game isn't an MMO or competitive, so I'd imagine their expectations for amount of people playing simultaneously isn't the priority vs how many DIFFERENT people are playing in a given time period.

@Vagnar quote:

Way I see it... This is what they do for a living. They want us to play. They'll listen. They have to prioritize though, and that's an internal thing based on way more data than just us on the forums. 

They'll definitely lose some players due to impatience, but they gotta do whatever to keep as many unique players invested. Idk if Steam charts provide that data. It shows concurrent players, but does it show how many unique accounts log in over various time periods? This game isn't an MMO or competitive, so I'd imagine their expectations for amount of people playing simultaneously isn't the priority vs how many DIFFERENT people are playing in a given time period.

In my opinion, this is why things like Early Access do more harm than good. I don't think DD2 will ever get more players than it already had, or make more of an impact in the gaming PR field than it already had. And if the devs also believe this, it would explain why development is so slow and stagnant compared to DD1...

After all, why waste money and resources on a property that -- at best -- can only maintain a steady trickle of income with in-game purchases? I wouldn't be very motivated to commit money and time on something like that. Plus, these days, game developers are all looking to explode in the market with the "next big thing" like Minecraft and similar games that made a bunch of money due to internet hype. Their attention wanes once they realize a release is never going to become a blockbuster.

Back to the issue with Early Access; it just ruins the game launch cycle. Remember DayZ? That game had a MUCH bigger response than DD2 out of the gate, but does anyone truly think that DayZ is gonna miraculously turn things around and have some grand "re-launch" when it finally comes out of alpha/beta? There's no way.

You only get one shot to introduce your product to the world. It's bad enough when these products are introduced to us only partially-complete, but what usually happens is the developers never regain that momentum so they invest the bare minimum to "finish" the game, just so they can move on to their "next big thing." And then the process repeats, because today's game developers want their customers to subsidize the cost of development.

Seriously, think about it... Can you imagine any scenario in which early-access games like DD2 become BIGGER a few years down the road, after their early-access launch? You don't get multiple launches, especially in the media. You maybe get a blurb, talking about how that game from a few years ago is finally out of beta and "officially launched."

It's too bad, because I really wanted DD2 to become at least as popular as the original, if not more. I'm not saying the game is doomed... I'm just saying we shouldn't expect to see much more success with DD2 than we already have right now. And because of that, I don't think development is ever going to match the pace of DD1.

@WaxPaper quote:

In my opinion, this is why things like Early Access do more harm than good. I don't think DD2 will ever get more players than it already had, or make more of an impact in the gaming PR field than it already had. And if the devs also believe this, it would explain why development is so slow and stagnant compared to DD1...

After all, why waste money and resources on a property that -- at best -- can only maintain a steady trickle of income with in-game purchases? I wouldn't be very motivated to commit money and time on something like that. Plus, these days, game developers are all looking to explode in the market with the "next big thing" like Minecraft and similar games that made a bunch of money due to internet hype. Their attention wanes once they realize a release is never going to become a blockbuster.

Back to the issue with Early Access; it just ruins the game launch cycle. Remember DayZ? That game had a MUCH bigger response than DD2 out of the gate, but does anyone truly think that DayZ is gonna miraculously turn things around and have some grand "re-launch" when it finally comes out of alpha/beta? There's no way.

You only get one shot to introduce your product to the world. It's bad enough when these products are introduced to us only partially-complete, but what usually happens is the developers never regain that momentum so they invest the bare minimum to "finish" the game, just so they can move on to their "next big thing." And then the process repeats, because today's game developers want their customers to subsidize the cost of development.

Seriously, think about it... Can you imagine any scenario in which early-access games like DD2 become BIGGER a few years down the road, after their early-access launch? You don't get multiple launches, especially in the media. You maybe get a blurb, talking about how that game from a few years ago is finally out of beta and "officially launched."

It's too bad, because I really wanted DD2 to become at least as popular as the original, if not more. I'm not saying the game is doomed... I'm just saying we shouldn't expect to see much more success with DD2 than we already have right now. And because of that, I don't think development is ever going to match the pace of DD1.

Actually pretty true. Some people who tries the game might not like it in its current state, and just move on to another game without coming back.

The real mistake is, imo, to make the game free to play before getting out of alpha/beta and to have stayed for too long in alpha. The game can gain a "second momentum" after becoming free to play (DD2's player count actually went up a lot after we just became F2P). This opportunity should have been used when getting out of alpha/beta. 

@WaxPaper quote:

@Vagnar quote:

I just knew it was bad news for DD2 when I discovered they went the early access and then free-to-play route. At first they even wanted to make it a MOBA, and this mindset is so far from the spirit of the first game, that I think none of the guys involved with the first game are working on DD2. 

They implemented combos and environmental traps to make it sassy and fresh, but it seems they never followed through on it and now the environmental traps belong in a museum and the combos make the game difficult to balance. Example: the geyser trap/LA combo that could stun mobs indefinetely, which ultimately led to the removal of defence speed. Two wrongs don´t make a right. It would have been better if they removed the combo and just make a stun trap that worked instead of removing fun stuff like defence speed. Instead we get crit chance. With a cap on too. So why make it so it´s only possible to get 30 % crit? Why not make it possible to get a tower with 100% defence speed that sprays like a machine gun and 100 % crit chance - IF you really wanted to? I guess that would be too much fun.

From day one it´s been obvious there is no clear direction with this game, they just make it up as they go along. I remember reading somewhere from one of the dev´s about a vote between The mystic and The man and machine.  They were so sure it would be a landslide win for Man and machine, that they didn´t even have an idea what the Mystic was supposed to be. They made her up afterwards, when they found out that she won the vote. People basically voted for something that had no thought put into it, other than a couple of lines of text. They are a small team yes, but why didn´t they stick with the winning formula from the first game then?

This game is all about RNG and that flat out sucks. 

This game is= "do I get the drop? AND is it for the right hero? AND is it for my builder/dps char? AND is it for the right version of the builder/dps chars since I have three of each, because of all the different passives and specialized weapons that make one character be one thing and one thing only? AND does it have the right passive? AND does it have crit chance? AND does it have the right percentage? YES!!! NOOOO it´s only 2/S. 

The RNG should be limited to = "do I get the drop".  Is it a powerful version of the drop I want? And from there on, one should be able to shape how the piece of loot/weapon fits in to ones playstyle, by alternating points in some predefined core stats, on the loot/weapon, maybe by spending defender medals or gold. 

Geez I wound myself up here.

Cooling down....

M