Sign in to follow this  
blue_hole_punch

Onslaught feedback and suggestions

Today I played 11.5 hours of onslaught. Round 74 was where I gave up - purely because I have to work tomorrow and i need sleep. Playing this much onslaught was just a challenge to myself to see how far i could go (this is on NM4). Onslaught has always been the least appealing of the game modes and I think i have a few ideas.

1 - add the ability to earn gold and/or medals through onslaught. 11.5 hours of gameplay netted me 29k gold and zero medals (excluding the gold I got from selling the trash loot). Even if its at half the rate of a normal map or incursion, just so that its not all wasted time. I know that gold is a reward option, but you get so little of it that its not worth it. I always choose pet, because at least the eggs are worth something. But, lesson learnt today, after about round 40 every egg is golden and can't be sold. Which leads to the next point...

2 - Add the ability to be able to change your reward through the game. Maybe you've chosen weapon because you needed a new one, but you got the perfect one on round 10. But then you're stuck getting weapons as your reward. Add in the ability to be able to change your reward, maybe every 5 rounds, or even pay gold or medals to be able to change the reward.

3 - lengthen the amount of time you're allowed to be inactive. Yes, i know, the time limit is there to stop AFK people etc. But, when playing a mode like onslaught that takes hours you want to be able to get a break without losing progress. Luckily my build was strong enough that i was able to AFK if i needed it - like to cook myself some lunch and dinner and to clean my house - but i kept running back to the PS4 because i didn't want it to time out on me and lose my progress. I'm just glad that i was able to do my errands before i started playing, in DD1 when playing I would just pause whilst I ran out and unless a cat jumped on the keyboard it would be in the same spot when i came back.

4 - i know a lot of people are asking for leaderboards etc - why not use onslaught for that? Have a leaderboard of what round players got to on each difficulty - i'm pretty impressed with my round 74 effort, but i know people have gone higher. Have challenges and rewards for beating certain rounds. Have "special" rounds that are just insanely hard and you get a really cool reward for finishing it. Have a timer option and have a leaderboard for who can clear hordes the quickest etc.

I actually had a lot of fun doing this today - now that hordes aren't so bad its a lot better, moves quicker and all that stuff. And I got some good loot, and a lot of loot for my upgrading (I now officially have an entire deck of 700+ ipwr and that makes me stupidly happy). But the play mode does need some attention and some tweaks, but it could be really fun with a bit of work. The best part is once your build is done, that's it. Compared to playing normally and having to either re-do a build or start from scratch every 5-7 waves, it was nice to play 222 waves and only build once!

Hm, these points you make all sound pretty reasonable. If they don't completely change the way onslought works in their upcoming endgame revamp, I hope they get these changes in.

Onslaught is pretty bad atm (more in a sense that it's boring).  Your points will certainly make it better, but won't fix the core issues, meaning that onslaught needs to be redone to be interesting. Here are the main problems:

1) Really bad scaling. Enemies stop becoming stronger after like wave 7. There might still be a scaling, but so insignificantly little that I don't even notice the difference between wave 10 and 30. Difficulty needs to scale A LOT more than that.

2) Next is the round/wave system. It's a disaster, get rid of it. At a certain point, one wave should be a hard challenge, and completing it should allow us to return to a complete build phase (not a little 20 seconds break with no additional mana). Currently we have one big wave composed of 3 little waves with a useless 20 seconds between them. Just have some regular waves like in incursions/defense and like survival in DD1.

3) It is nice to have a theme for enemies, but it actually doesn't work well. The point was that we had to adapt depending on which enemies were coming, and that isn't happening. We have a fix build and we keep it through the end. And that's how survival should be. You should be changing your build each wave. Survival is also to see how good your build is. Keeping themes for enemies is still possible, but a drakin wave shouldn't be only drakins, but all enemies with a larger amount of drakins than usual. 

4) Make the number of bosses increase overtime. We're stuck at 3 atm. Easy, boring. Where's the 30 ogres + 20 goblin copters from DD1? 

5) Reward is a nice concept, and getting rid of the wave/round system shouldn't mean getting rid of the reward system. Maybe make it spawn a chest each 3-5 waves? Those chest should also be rewarding gold and medals at the same time.

6) Loot should be dropping of all enemies, but at a lower rate than usual of course. I would say 50% less than regular maps would be fine. Make it so that each wave (or each rewarding wave), the loot that hasn't been auto-picked be sold.

I would also love to see, if the du-cap increases every few rounds. actually u have maxed all ur towers mostly between round 7 and 10 and after that u just have to press the start button, which is kind of draggy. Enemies should become stronger, but also the map should be more and more covered with towers so thats the display of fireworks at maybe round 80 should be really intimidating :)

Would it be a relatively simple change to just make it so we don't have to start at wave 1? That's makes it unbearably boring. Making changes so our defenses would have to grow and adapt sounds great, but that's a lot of code and there are already server issues. Maybe you could just let us start at any level we've completed in the past?

@soda_taffy quote:

..... but that's a lot of code and there are already server issues......

Thats true. I have not really a feeling due to the amount of information the servers/ the ps4 are able to deal with without interfering a smoothly playing. So It would be also possible to do it in another direction with the same effect. So your start DU could be lower and increases every few rounds. Imho the main concept should be, that even in round 30+ u have to look after your defenses, more than just repair some walls and/ or traps.

Another idea could be, that every few rounds the map generates a new surface with new ways in some areas but same entrances. So u have to adapt your built every few rounds which also would keep the variety high and the DU-cap could stay as it is. 

Trash the onslaught mode and give us back the exact same survival mode from ps3. I dunno how many times and from how many ppl they need to hear it from. Onslaught is garbage!!!! Such a crappy game mode and like all the other posts, boring, crap prizes, waste of time. Oh. And give us back kicking like in dd1 because the kicking in this game is a f-ing joke