Sign in to follow this  
Black Mamba

So Trendy(or whoever maintains the forums)...

Has time for adding new CDT badges for members, but not fix the broken as hell "Quotes", searching and old post history among other things?
What gives? Fix the core functionality rather than making irrelevant changes. Please.

Hey Black Mamba, hopefully I can shed some light on what's happening with the forums right now. [[4370,users]] can certainly provide any additional insight or corrections.

Duxter, whom Trendy chose to use for their forum platform, is no longer a fully operational company. You can read their announcement here:

https://community.duxter.com/forums/threads/5

This means that feature improvements, like quote management, are not going to happen. The reason why the CDT icons were implemented is because it is simply a new icon to an existing user group, and I personally created the icon for them to use. There was no dev time or overhead to have that implemented.

(On a side note along the lines of user groups, belonging to more than one group is currently not a feature. Because of this, I have been locked out of the Defense Council forums for over a year since joining the CDT. This is not something I anticipate will ever be resolved on the current platform.)

There is a reason why forum platform migration has been discussed at length in the DD2 forums - because we're sitting on a sub-par platform with no way to fix it. The problem is that there's no way to export/migrate the content, which is the catch 22 we're in right now. The decision to tolerate the current platform or migrate is up to Trendy, but I can definitely relate when you say you have qualms with how the community runs here. I've been waiting since day 1 to have a 'go to first unread' button for threads with new posts.

@gigazelle quote:

Hey Black Mamba, hopefully I can shed some light on what's happening with the forums right now. iamisom can certainly provide any additional insight or corrections.

Duxter, whom Trendy chose to use for their forum platform, is no longer a fully operational company. You can read their announcement here:

https://community.duxter.com/forums/threads/5

This means that feature improvements, like quote management, are not going to happen. The reason why the CDT icons were implemented is because it is simply a new icon to an existing user group, and I personally created the icon for them to use. There was no dev time or overhead to have that implemented.

(On a side note along the lines of user groups, belonging to more than one group is currently not a feature. Because of this, I have been locked out of the Defense Council forums for over a year since joining the CDT. This is not something I anticipate will ever be resolved on the current platform.)

There is a reason why forum platform migration has been discussed at length in the DD2 forums - because we're sitting on a sub-par platform with no way to fix it. The problem is that there's no way to export/migrate the content, which is the catch 22 we're in right now. The decision to tolerate the current platform or migrate is up to Trendy, but I can definitely relate when you say you have qualms with how the community runs here. I've been waiting since day 1 to have a 'go to first unread' button for threads with new posts.

your CDT simple is BIG some of the members simple's are too SMALL some of them are average so yeah you need to change that ^^ 

For what little influence it's actually worth, I certainly wouldn't mind a migration.  Anything lost can be re-posted, and I don't really use the forums for finding necro'd threads to begin with.  The pros far outweigh the cons as far as I see it, there have been some desperately needed forum features missing.

@Valthejean quote:

For what little influence it's actually worth, I certainly wouldn't mind a migration.  Anything lost can be re-posted, and I don't really use the forums for finding necro'd threads to begin with.  The pros far outweigh the cons as far as I see it, there have been some desperately needed forum features missing.

i still don't understand why they can't make alittle changes or simple fix that can be done anything !!

is it really Impossible to fix anything ?

@kg4q quote:

i still don't understand why they can't make alittle changes or simple fix that can be done anything !!

is it really Impossible to fix anything ?

As Gigazelle mentioned, the forum is run by a third party, a party that is no longer providing that service.  So there are only two options available: stick with this forum that preserves all of the information that they have, which includes the ability to link accounts for influence votes iirc, or make a new forum either from scratch or with another group which will result in an essential wipe of all data as transferring anything from this forum to the new forum will be impossible.  It's a rather difficult position to be in.  I personally wouldn't mind a full wipe if it meant having features like implementing polls.

Thanks a lot gigazelle for the clarification!

Valthejean -- I don't think YET ANOTHER migration will happen. They have migrated already TWICE.
Earlier from forums.trendyent.com  and then from forums.dungeondefenders2.com or something like that to the current one, unless I'm mistaken.

Besides the information here(mainly related to events and traces) is too valuable right now to be given up. And migration usually breaks more things up than you can expect. Its not worth migrating again especially with the low playerbase.

So with the clarification given by gigazelle, I can probably live with these forums and the broken quotes, searching, etc.

IMO information is valuable, especially if you were at the 
receiving end of loss of information like me with event-item trade threads gone forever and getting locked out of your items coz you didn't have screenshots back in the day LOL! :D

Yes, Polls and many other features are quite needed, but there are free third-party alternatives for polls such as strawpoll.me, etc.
DD1 is at a stage that from an economic or a community point of view a migration is not worth the data loss and the trouble of recreating accounts etc., but that's just my opinion.

here is my idea we have a trusted person copy all the event signup thread into a general spreadsheet like we did for the calvary and vortex set. then when we reach the new forum we can make a past events thread that has the starting post (like when otter posts the little picture) and then below it link the spreadsheet. that way it is placed nicely and we dont have to go through 7+ pages to find the post we want. we don't lose the data and can still see the topic starting post for details of the event. 

What about an unofficial forum, set up and run by dd1 players, possibly the cdt? I know that is also not ideal, it would be even more work to keep up with steam, this one and another one, but I thought I would suggest it anyway :D

@Atherial quote:

here is my idea we have a trusted person copy all the event signup thread into a general spreadsheet like we did for the calvary and vortex set. then when we reach the new forum we can make a past events thread that has the starting post (like when otter posts the little picture) and then below it link the spreadsheet. that way it is placed nicely and we dont have to go through 7+ pages to find the post we want. we don't lose the data and can still see the topic starting post for details of the event. 

This is not such a task. In fact I have a lot of it already from when I was chasing events and generally bothering older lapsed players for trades. I have a sheet for Forum names and Steam ID where it was linked for many of the early events. Anyone wishing to continue this work can PM me about sharing it

@ThePoet424 quote:

What about an unofficial forum, set up and run by dd1 players, possibly the cdt? I know that is also not ideal, it would be even more work to keep up with steam, this one and another one, but I thought I would suggest it anyway :D

Hmmmm, now that you mention Steam. I think, I really wish that CDT & Trendy utilizes Steam Hub more than these forums for trading/events/general discussions/etc. Steam Public Discussions(SPD) are far better in terms of literally everything compared to these forums. Easier to use, don't require any sort of additional account creation. Steam IDs are are your account IDs. So managing events from there on out becomes fairly easier. You can just take steam screenshots and add them to your post if you are trading, so no need to upload them to third-party websites.

SPD has everything a developer needs -- announcements, news, artwork, screenshots, reviews, guides, multiple sub-forum options, easy to use, integrated live-streams(broadcasts), WAAAAAAAAAY better post formatting options, quotes that work, searching that works, ease of finding post history, jumping directly to last posts, better notifications, easier to add people directly, and what not.

There is literally no reason why this forum should be used over SPD.

Of course, on the flip-side we lose access to "post count", "badges", "private groups", and such which are present here.
But really, the pros for using SPD over these forums far outweigh the few cons. Most people including me find it easier to just look up to Steam Hub and check stuff or trade rather than having to sign-in here and do their thing. I usually alt-tab out of the game to visit these forums, but if we are moving over to SPD then you don't even need to alt-tab out. The Steam-overlay works well.

Not to mention the support of these forums has expired, but SPD support won't be expiring any soon as Valve is the one who directly handles that.

What Trendy should do is make people as mods on SPD who are mods here -- Alhanalem, Tito Daddy(if he's active), Acen, etc. They can then easily manage those forums and create appropriate subsections for events & discussions, trading(already exists), CDT discussions, off-topic discussions, etc. 
Pretty sure [[4370,users]] has the [developer] tag on SPD and can make the other guys as mods on SPD.

I think [[82645,users]] has already ported over the previous event threads, and their signup links etc. from these forums to Steam Guides.
So even that part of worrying about coming here to search for older event threads is gone since he has linked all the threads in his Steam Guide.

I can understand the need for Trendy to have their own forums, but given the current state of these forums and how there is no further support available for it, I'd like to request Trendy to please consider Steam Public Discussion to be used as a primary hub/place/forum for all-things Dungeon-defenders-1 at least, PLEASE!

@Black Mamba quote:

@ThePoet424 quote:

Hmmmm, now that you mention Steam. I think, I really wish that CDT & Trendy utilizes Steam Hub more than these forums for trading/events/general discussions/etc. Steam Public Discussions(SPD) are far better in terms of literally everything compared to these forums. Easier to use, don't require any sort of additional account creation. Steam IDs are are your account IDs. So managing events from there on out becomes fairly easier. You can just take steam screenshots and add them to your post if you are trading, so no need to upload them to third-party websites.

SPD has everything a developer needs -- announcements, news, artwork, screenshots, reviews, guides, multiple sub-forum options, easy to use, integrated live-streams(broadcasts), WAAAAAAAAAY better post formatting options, quotes that work, searching that works, ease of finding post history, jumping directly to last posts, better notifications, easier to add people directly, and what not.

There is literally no reason why this forum should be used over SPD.

Of course, on the flip-side we lose access to "post count", "badges", "private groups", and such which are present here.
But really, the pros for using SPD over these forums far outweigh the few cons. Most people including me find it easier to just look up to Steam Hub and check stuff or trade rather than having to sign-in here and do their thing. I usually alt-tab out of the game to visit these forums, but if we are moving over to SPD then you don't even need to alt-tab out. The Steam-overlay works well.

Not to mention the support of these forums has expired, but SPD support won't be expiring any soon as Valve is the one who directly handles that.

What Trendy should do is make people as mods on SPD who are mods here -- Alhanalem, Tito Daddy(if he's active), Acen, etc. They can then easily manage those forums and create appropriate subsections for events & discussions, trading(already exists), CDT discussions, off-topic discussions, etc. 
Pretty sure iamisom has the [developer] tag on SPD and can make the other guys as mods on SPD.

I think kg4q has already ported over the previous event threads, and their signup links etc. from these forums to Steam Guides.
So even that part of worrying about coming here to search for older event threads is gone since he has linked all the threads in his Steam Guide.

I can understand the need for Trendy to have their own forums, but given the current state of these forums and how there is no further support available for it, I'd like to request Trendy to please consider Steam Public Discussion to be used as a primary hub/place/forum for all-things Dungeon-defenders-1 at least, PLEASE!

idk man i mean you're right 100% about steam but i feel like i'm close the ppl in DD here than steam 

i mean the i dead is good but i prefer here than steam (personal opinion)

I don't understand how you can feel close to people here, when literally everyone who is a member here is ALREADY a member on Steam. That doesn't make much sense really. :D

It has more functionality than whatever is available on these forums.
Anytime someone has an issue in their game, be it lost characters, saves getting reset, game crashing, something not working, whatever it is, players usually go to the Steam Hub before checking elsewhere. Not just for this game, but for literally every game on Steam.

Why not make use of such a wonderful platform?
I don't see any reason to these this junk(harsh but true) over Steam.
These forums are mainly used for trading, which can easily be done on SPD if people are willing to make the switch to that, hardly any effort required.
The pinned threads for trading related topics can be recreated and formatted in a better way. Whichever way you see it SPD beats these forums, heck it wipes the floor with it. No comparison and no reason to use these, especially now that we know for sure that there won't be anymore support or features added to these forums becasue the company that was providing support has ceased to do so. Whereas Steam Hub support will never cease to exist, unless Valve shuts down, which is quite not happening atm.

Just think about it -- [[4370,users]], ddace, Alhanalem, gigazelle, much of the resources like General FAQs, Technical FAQs, etc. are already there on Steam Hub, all we need is the mods here to be made mods on those forums, add some Events, CDT Discussion, & In-Game Trading sub-forums, and we are already up and running on a miles better platform.

I am going to necro the living crap out of this thread...  Not sorry at all.  Otherwise, I would just type the same exact content OP did.  

+1 for a migration..  It would be amazing.  Even better would be if this current set of forums remained in limbo to reference. 

Steam would be a totally good move.  A move to another platform supported by Trendy would be totally good, as well.

Typing 2000 words only to find out the Boogyman logged me out is just so... well boogy :)

The Boogyman seems to quote me all the time too.  We could go for fixing that.

Another benefit of Steam forums -- newcomers to the game usually head on to Steam Hub first than coming here. Yes, some of the Ranked mode Welcome screens directly link here, but people usually don't go -- hey, let me just sign-up on these forums first before playing the game.
Also, most of game guides which get referred to people are on Steam anyways. It has the option of proper sub-forums and what not, as I said some posts above.

The few threads related to Events, Signup, Hiding Ult++ Items Stats, Patch Notes, etc. can still be re-created on Steam anyways.
IMO -- all it take is CDT & the trading community to start using SPD move than these forums and more people will start using those.
When Steam is offering a free solution, which has better functionality and usability, why not use it? Even the issue of people posting via alt accounts can be solved on Steam as it has a direct 1:1 link of the account you are posting from.

One of the main advantages of these forums was influence votes, particularly for DD2. When the game left early access this week, they removed the influence system entirely.

Other than the content itself, the current platform doesn't really have much going for it anymore.

@gigazelle quote:

One of the main advantages of these forums was influence votes, particularly for DD2. When the game left early access this week, they removed the influence system entirely.

Other than the content itself, the current platform doesn't really have much going for it anymore.

now that turd sand which is out of early access, maybe we can get a new forum board :)

You mean like the <3 voting below a post?
Yeah that's not there on Steam, however barring that and post count + special badges, SPD is still miles better and has constant development. Plus it doesn't sign you out in the midst of typing a long post. Here I've lost count how many times I've lost entire posts due to getting abruptly logged out.

No, it was a point system that Trendy used to help determine the direction of development in DD2. Every time you logged in to the forums or launched DD2 you'd get an influence point. You could then spend those points on votes for a certain development decision, such as which hero or map they should make next.

They stopped using it about a year ago, so everyone was accruing hundreds of these influence votes. I speculate that since it was leaving early access and the purpose of the influence vote system was fulfilled, they removed it permanently.

Oh right, I can recall it now. It had a sort of "thunder/lightning" symbol associated with it, right? Never really knew what it meant and the only time I saw it was when I was using the /2/ link to edit comments. 

An entirely new platform(from scratch) I'd say probably no becasue requires more maintenance/resources even if volunteered.
Shifting to Steam Discussions is the best option right now. Player base is also not very high (< 300) to justify making a new forum/platform when one already exists. You won't have to spend any amount of time / resources for it. Just copy pasting the few important threads from here to over there and that's all that is needed. Trendy Emplyoees are already active there and monitor those forums. They just make the people who are admins here(Alhanelm, Acen, etc.) over there and all's good to go.

Advantages of Steam Discussion:

• Steam Account linked directly to Steam Discussions, no need for making additional accounts.
  • Better searching options.
  • Better quoting functionality.
  • Can check your own or anyone else's post history to find important posts.
  • Editing posts is hassle-free and shows a last edit-date. Posts includes your OP and your comment on someone else's thread.
  • Subscribing to threads and unsubscribing works perfectly, here if you untrack a thread you can still get notifications if someone has quoted you on that thread and has responded.
  • Slightly better formatting options (tables, safe-links[can't insert fishy URLs on Steam], instant integration of Steam Screenshots displayed as images, Steam Emoticons!!!!!!!).
  • DOES NOT SIGN YOU OUT FROM THE ACCOUNT RANDOMLY SO YOU DON'T LOSE LONG POSTS THAT YOU JUST WROTE.
  • One click access to important tabs such as Guides, Workshop, Reviews, News, Announcements, Broadcasts, Videos, Screenshots, etc.
  • ZERO COST / RESOURCE needed for maintenance. Steam already does that for you.
  • Easier for newer players to access. If you take a look at FAQ/Troubleshooting or general questions related threads opened here by newcomers to the game versus how many threads get posted on Steam Discussions; then there is no denying that people go to Steam Discussions first to get help / ask questions.

Disadvantages of Steam Discussions:

• No post count.
  • No forum account "title" or custom forum badges.
  • No voting up like the  <3 here.
  • Third party image integration from image hosting websites like Imgur/Puush/Gyazo/ImgBB etc. don't show the images only show the links. Only Steam Screenshots will show the images. Because of this can't add GIFs either unless you upload them under Steam Artwork.

Can't really think of anything else. And IMO excluding the last disadvantage point, the advantages far more outweigh the disadvantages over these forums.

Hi

Can you please remind me where to find the Steam game charts?

I was about to make a rather controversial thread but, to be honest, if the player base is less than 300 then I will probably just leave it.

Thx

Mkjo