Sign in to follow this  
cosilpah2

Bunny Costume

Hi I am new player of this game and I noticed there is this bunny costume which was obtained during 2012 Easter so I wonder if there will be another way to obtain this skins like buying it with real live money or like next Easter. I kinda love to have skins in games and it makes me sad that I cant obtain it. :(

I believe you can still get the bunny costume by obtaining a certain amount of eggs which someone can correct me with. I use the term obtain but there is no way you can actually get them other than trading through other players who got them during the event. Eggs are extremely costly though and as you are a new player I am uncertain whether you have enough mana/coals/cubes to buy one. Although if you do build up enough trust with someone, they may let you borrow them just to unlock the costume then trade them back. 

Hope this helped and didn't sound like plain gibberish!

@Plane quote:

The CDT should definitely run this again next Easter :-)

Agreed! Give everyone a fair chance at the costumes. 
Although some would argue that limited event items and such should be kept limited.
But locking out costumes is kinda harsh for new players, especially considering the prices on these things.

We've had discussions on ways to make the costume obtainable again, perhaps by having the eggs drop in a certain map or by some other method. Nothing has been decided, just noting we're aware of this problem.

@Alhanalem quote:

We've had discussions on ways to make the costume obtainable again, perhaps by having the eggs drop in a certain map or by some other method. Nothing has been decided, just noting we're aware of this problem.

That is very nice to hear. Maybe have the eggs drop as a reward on GTH2? With each difficulty dropping a different size of Egg depending on difficulty. That way we can still have the costume be slightly limited by having it on a map that isn't steam-roll-able or afk-able.
Would prefer if the Bunny Costume is not made limited only during Easter each year.

Ooh, that'd be great.  Getting an egg for clearing GTH2 NMHC would give me a reason to play that map other than "it's fun" :)

I would respectfully disagree with this idea.

I get that people would like the bunny costume, or like to get eggs, but it was an event that occurred, and there is just no reason to re-do it in my opinion.

You dont have the bunny costume, and you would like it. Fine. We can all learn to live with it.

It is the same thing we all see with Events that we missed. I'd certainly like to get some cool armguards, just for the look, but unfortunately i missed those events. That is just for events that look nice. Why not re-run the events for magicite or rainmaker?

Furthermore, it would upset the currency and value of any eggs that people have already.

I have 2 so i am not totally neutral in this, but my point stands.

Anyway, id be happy to discuss it more with people, but please be aware that this opinion exists.

[[147101,users]]

JUST NO.

The Bunny costume is a non-tradable item and initially it WASN'T an "Event Item". Trendy might have had plans to re-run it in 2013, but that probably didn't see the light of the day coz they had other plans that year(DD2, etc). That event was run only once, but a safe bet would be there might have been discussions to have to re-run. People have been asking for that since mid 2013, so it's not a new thing that there is a demand for the Eggs to re-appear.
Also re-running festive events for items/costumes/etc. is something that most game companies do. Take Valve for example -- if you miss out on their TF2 Party Hat, or Halloween Item Pots, or Christmas Noisemaker items, you can wait a year and re-run the game during those events to get the items. And they do that every year, with reason.

People who bought the game late do deserve a shot at costumes. The actual event items I can understand not being re-run which is totally right since those are community/volunteer events and so if you didn't sign up then that's that. The "Event Items" are not "available in the game", but the costume is. If someone buys game late, why is it their fault that a costume that comes WITH the game can't be available to them? Costume is still available in game, either remove it totally for those that don't have it and don't tease people by having it in the options and not being unlock-able unless you pay for it with a limb and a kidney, or 2 for that matter.

Just becasue you guys think your hoarded eggs will lose value you are opposing it. Besides how many times do you think people auction/sell eggs? Maybe 2 guys in 2-3 months at the most? And how many even bid at them? Just a select few who already have more than enough currency. So there won't be any impact whatsoever. Eggs aren't currency, nor are considered as one, ever.
The only people this will hurt "economically" is selfish hoarders. And even then it won't be dirt cheap if it is locked behind some hard challenge that you have to work for. Also quite frankly, your 2 eggs won't be making you poor overnight if they are made available to drop via some map reward or something else.

There is hardly any playerbase right now, so if under the premise of new content, some old content is made available -- chances are it will bring people back to the game who didn't have the opportunity to get these costumes in the first run.

Currently how it stands, it is extremely demoralizing to new players when they actually figure out how expensive the costume is to unlock. And I don't think anyone is opposed to the idea of having more players in the community regardless of what draws them to the game, be it costumes, be it other gear.

An alternate suggestion to Trendy/CDT would be have the costume sold via Steam as a DLC or whatever and be done with it. That these guys can keep their eggs, and if someone really wants the Bunny outfit, they can simply pay 2-3 bucks and can have it unlocked. Don't need much coding here since the Halloween outfits and a few others are already behind a pay-wall.

*PS-1: I already have the Bunny outfit. So if you think I'm ranting becasue I don't have it, then there's that. And I look at the costume from a different perspective, something which a lot of people would want access to.

*PS-2: Don't come up with the argument that "by the same logic previous event items should also be made available", just please don't.

@Dave456 quote:

I would respectfully disagree with this idea.

I get that people would like the bunny costume, or like to get eggs, but it was an event that occurred, and there is just no reason to re-do it in my opinion.

You dont have the bunny costume, and you would like it. Fine. We can all learn to live with it.

It is the same thing we all see with Events that we missed. I'd certainly like to get some cool armguards, just for the look, but unfortunately i missed those events. That is just for events that look nice. Why not re-run the events for magicite or rainmaker?

Furthermore, it would upset the currency and value of any eggs that people have already.

I have 2 so i am not totally neutral in this, but my point stands.

Anyway, id be happy to discuss it more with people, but please be aware that this opinion exists.

100% agree.

I do have the bunny costume, but I do miss a lot of the event items. If there will be a way to re-acquire the bunny costume (which was nothing else than an event) then there has to be also a way to re-acquire event items from other events you missed. Doing so, you would also take away the platform/basis for certain hackers who sell these things for Paypal.

Last but not least, also if you don't like to hear that Black Mamba BUT the same concerns and thoughts you have about the eggs can be easily said about event items. So, for the sake of consistency, all events would have to be dealt with equally.

BTW: I traded for my Bunny costume, well for the eggs. Whatsoever, you are able to trade for it.

@Black Mamba quote:

Firstly Mamba, i object to you characterizing people as selfish for hoarding eggs. People can do what they want and to imply a motive or negative character trait is an ad hominem attack, and should not be tolerated.

Second, I have 2 eggs cause i like how they look, so please dont tell me that I'm concerned about the price. Once again, you are assuming what I think.

Third, I do not have the Bunny costume, and would like to get it as well, however I am willing to accept that if I missed the event, I missed the opportunity. People can learn to live with not getting everything.

Ok, those points out of the way.

I am not sure where you get the idea that Trendy might have run the event again. Sure they might have. They also might not have. Mentioning other companies or other games that do things differently has no bearing on what Trendy might have done. I do understand your point that since other games re-run events / skins / costumes, maybe we should as well. There is something to debate there, and certainly an idea for the CDT to consider is new costumes.

The argument that the bunny costume in particular is something that might draw in new players or at least get them to stay is something i would disagree with, but again, we can agree to disagree. I worry that this logic could end by saying - well we want new people to be able to get ult and ult++ armor easier so they will stay, so improve drops. I would view new players' inability to get better gear as much more demoralizing than not being able to get one random costume for one char.

I think your idea of putting it behind a paywall is an ok idea. I might pay 2 dollars to get the bunny costume.

Finally, please dont dismiss an argument just because you dont like it. I can understand why you would say that the bunny costume is not comparable to event items (the bunny costume is locked in-game, but event items are special items), but shouldnt this raise the question about re-running old events? If there are only 3 pairs of Armguards of Smog in the game, why not have them as an event reward for people who missed out? Armguards of Earth or Lightening look cool, but who wants to spend "a limb and a kidney, or 2 for that matter." Maybe we can bring those back. I cannot tell you how many people have asked me how to get Something Blue or Lava Cuffs that i have on my tavern floor. People dont want them for the stats or because they are worth a lot. People want them because they look cool. So why not have a way for new people to get those as well?

I'm in the same boat as Dave, I do not have the costume and I would like to get it, and I agree with Dave and EagleOne: don't make the eggs available again, and if you do, why not also make the other event items available? It is just a costume, it has literally less effect on gameplay than an event item.

We discussed witihin the team previously about adding this as an unlockable skin when beating a map since It is the only costume you cant buy or unlock by beating a map.  Also, I would think it should be compared more to other skins than to event items since this was actually something trendy did having eggs drop for a while and was not something done by the community events team.

As for whether it was meant to be a 1 time thing or not, that is tough to know.  Trendy has some DD2 costumes that I think were 1 time exclusives and not going to be made available ever again. (I could be wrong on that since I dont keep great track of things DD2) 

IMO the costume should either be behind a 2-3$ paywall or an ideal thing would be have it unlocked by completing a set of maps on a particular difficulty.
If going the unlockable route -- my suggestion would be to add it as a reward for getting the Legendary (or better yet Ultimate Defender) achievement, which requires dedication and can't be steam-rolled to unlock the costume.
Also, if it is unlocked by these achievements, then it should be retrospective for those who already have the achievement but don't have the costume unlocked. And not that many people have the Legendary or Ultimate Defender achievement anyways, so it still stays relatively rare.
And it will still be unlockable via whatever eggs that remain, so someone who doesn't want to grind for the achievements, can pay a premium of in-game currency and just unlock it that way.

If it is just a damn costume, and if it doesn't have any effect on the gameplay, so why keep it away from people who are new to the game? Either don't show it in the costume options AT ALL, or have some way to unlock it.

The bunny costume wasn't there until Trendy has ran the event and added it to the game. Just like the community driven events introduced event items. You see also event items everyday.

The main reason I want to be able to farm eggs is so I can earn it myself.  I was given the opportunity to accept eggs for free and I turned them down.  I don't want someone else to earn the bunny costume for me.

(The same goes for events, really, but some of them are too OP to be replaced with self-farmed items, so meh.  I gave in and started trading for events.)

Well the bunny costume was originally to be every Easter though at one point we did allow you to get Eggs from a second place temporarily but I forget where but I don't think it lasted long. Best idea really in my mind is to keep its rarity is give the eggs a super rare drop rate globally, or maybe just all the maps that have grass in them for the bunnies, or there's a bunny in game that randomly appears in maps and you need to talk to them on the chance they appear during your wave before the wave starts(that way no AFK farmin). But I'm sure you guys will figure something out :)

I'm sure people would love to plan for it to be available again for next Easter however since CDT patches take a while to get out and updated the next Easter update would last months and months and then the rare factor will be gone at that point. Probably wish to avoid that.

[[5896,users]], that's actually not a bad idea for having it drop in a map with grass and have a rare chance for it to drop! I dig that! :D

Although I would still suggest that have it unlocked by Ultimate Defender Achievement. If you want the costume, get the achievement done, work for it, play the game and there you are awarded with a costume. Still keeps it rare, but now at least there is an option to earn to rather than just trade and trade and trade... or beg for it. And it's not like the Ultimate Defender is an easy achievement.

Not to mention eggs being in the current state encourages duping of in-game currency and what not, which has been happening since quite long. And is not just an issue with this costume but in general. 

I did mention that -- "And is not just an issue with this costume but in general."

Either way like I said, I had read that Trendy had plans to continue the Easter Events, and Ice's post confirms it that they had plans for re-runs. So why not make it happen now? Many developers do re-run events for certain items every year, so why should DD be any different? Just becasue egg hoarders will lose some currency? Big deal, they can go bankrupt for all I care.

Comparing costume to Event Items in terms of rarity isn't a proper comparison. Those are VOLUNTEERED COMMUNITY EVENTS, big difference. Whereas, the costume has been part of the game since 2012 Easter, and hasn't been removed from the options for those that don't have it yet. So I believe anyone who purchases the game has as much right to get this costume as any other costume that comes with the game, either via paying for it in a form of DLC, or having it tied to an achievement or something that doesn't require mindless farming.
I'm slightly on the fence for farming eggs again(if they are about as rare as Ult++ armors on survivals). Becasue if you gotta farm, then you might as well just farm some worthwhile maps and trade for the eggs from the loot you got saved up, how it is done currently.

But whatever, let's have the eggs dropped at a reasonable rate, or have the costume awarded upon completion of the Ultimate Defender Achievement. Which sounds more fair to me, because then you have actually "EARNED" it, in a literal sense.

@Black Mamba quote:

Comparing costume to Event Items in terms of rarity isn't a proper comparison. Those are VOLUNTEERED COMMUNITY EVENTS, big difference. Whereas, the costume has been part of the game since 2012 Easter

Was the easter event the first event? Well, it hardly matters. There are events that are also years old at this point. I still don't understand why eggs should be given preferential treatment. I think it is a fair comparison.

@Black Mamba quote:

I believe anyone who purchases the game has as much right to get this costume as any other costume that comes with the game, either via paying for it in a form of DLC, or having it tied to an achievement or something that doesn't require mindless farming.

I respectfully disagree. Again, if this happens with one event, why not others?

Except the eggs are not event items? They weren't limited when the Easter Event was run. Everyone had a crap ton of those. Whereas COMMUNITY EVENT ITEMS are given ONLY ONE to each player who signs-up for that event.

Read Ice's post -- the Easter Event was supposed to happen each year, but didn't due to whatever reason. No big deal, it can happen now. Are you still going to cry about it when an official confirmation is made about the Easter Event?

The argument that if "Easter Event" should be re-run so all other events should be re-run just doesn't make any sense. Those events, as I've have mentioned above were COMMUNITY SPONSORED VOLUNTEER EVENTS. There is a huge difference. Community members make special maps and levels for those, and the items are a part of that particular event. You are comparing something that is part of a game when it is purchased with a community event item that has no existence if you buy the game today. The costume is still there for new players to see, the event items are not.

On a lighter note, I'm guessing you are also part of eggs hoarding brigade?  ;-)

@Black Mamba quote:

Except the eggs are not event items? They weren't limited when the Easter Event was run. Everyone had a crap ton of those. Whereas COMMUNITY EVENT ITEMS are given ONLY ONE to each player who signs-up for that event.

At this point they are functionally very similar to old event items: there is a limited supply of them held by a few older, mostly rich players, they are hard to come by unless you have a lot of in-game currency, and there is no way to obtain them other than to trade with those players.

@Black Mamba quote:

Read Ice's post -- the Easter Event was supposed to happen each year, but didn't due to whatever reason. No big deal, it can happen now. Are you still going to cry about it when an official confirmation is made about the Easter Event?

Whether they intended to rerun them or not is not the issue here. The fact is that they ran it only once, just like all other events. If Trendy, for whatever reason, suddenly became interested in DD1 again and officially announce that they will be repeating easter events that is their prerogative of course, but CDT is not capable of making official confirmations. They are a community team, and should listen to the community. If it turns out that most people agree with you and CDT decides to resume easter events again, I would have no problem with that. I am merely trying to give them my opinion, namely to please not repeat events, and in general change as little about the game as possible and focus on new content and bug-fixes.

@Black Mamba quote:

The argument that if "Easter Event" should be re-run so all other events should be re-run just doesn't make any sense. Those events, as I've have mentioned above were COMMUNITY SPONSORED VOLUNTEER EVENTS. There is a huge difference. Community members make special maps and levels for those, and the items are a part of that particular event. You are comparing something that is part of a game when it is purchased with a community event item that has no existence if you buy the game today. The costume is still there for new players to see, the event items are not.

It sounds like I am not getting something. As I, and many other players, were not active during the time of the original events, perhaps you could explain what the easter event actually was? I assumed it was another map you could play and then get an egg at the end? Perhaps I am wrong.

@Black Mamba quote:

On a lighter note, I'm guessing you are also part of eggs hoarding brigade?  ;-)

Actually I bought the final eggs I needed yesterday and I have now (finally!) unlocked my very own bunny skin :)

I get what you are saying is make the skin hard to unlock, like the tavernkeep skin is atm for example, but in effect it ALREADY functions like that! It is just even harder xD I spent 3 years looking out for players who were willing to sell eggs, and now I finally have them. Also I'm broke.

You could find eggs while normally playing the game. It would drop as any other item would, in campaign or survival, or certain challenge maps that drop items. You could get eggs on any map on any difficulty randomly. I can't remember their dropping rate, but they weren't quite as rare as they are now, due to obvious reasons.

Here's WHY the Bunny Costume(or the Eggs) should be made relatively easily available -- 32 or 36 Humongous Eggs would spawn a Mega Chicken. But, the stats of those spawned Mega Chickens would be significantly lower than the ones you can get from Tinkerer's Survival/Pure Strategy IN/NM difficulties now-a-days.

But before Tinkerer's, Mega Chickens were considered about as much as the eggs price/rarity wise. However, Mega Chickens were made available, so why not the Bunny Costume? What is the point in keeping people away from a damn costume? Its not even game changing or OP like the Mega Chickens. Easter Mega Chicken made a permanent re-appearance, so why can't the Bunny Costume? Why should it be any different?
That's one of the reasons why I'm saying since the beginning that comparing COMMUNITY EVENT ITEMS to this costume, or heck even the Mega Chicken is just not right. Mega Chickens were re-introduced, so should either eggs, or just tie the costume to the Ultimate Defender Achievement alongside the Tavernkeeper Costume. People who have played the game since day one(or close to) will understand why I'm adamant on having the Bunny Costume made available via some worthwhile achievement rather than mindlessly farming them on some boring maps.
At least getting the achievement done will help players with a whole lot of different strategies on how to approach the game. I've seen people with hardly any achievements grinding current maps endlessly and running around with Ult items. There are so many maps and challenges to play, plenty of achievements to unlock, loads of costumes to unlock. So having the Bunny unlocked via the Ultimate Defender achievement is the best way to go, IMO, at least you'll have to actually play the game in a bunch of different styles rather than just mindlessly farm for it, gives enough purpose to the achievement.

Now as far as the eggs/costume to be made available again is concerned, there will be people with obvious issues against this, becasue their hoarded eggs will suddenly lose value. And those that have payed an exorbitant sum for their eggs, will feel ripped-off, nothing wrong with that. But, it is what it is, *** happens and can't please everyone all the time, now can we?
Even Ice, official developer(not CDT) has suggested that eggs should drop again, and there were plans for re-runs each year. So I don't know what's the problem with having it run now? Trendy, for whatever reason couldn't manage to push another update to have the event re-run. But does that mean something which was planned to be re-run should never be re-run again? Doesn't make sense to me.