Sign in to follow this  
johan_kid

Prologue

Here's an idea for the events prior to the events of DD1.

It is times like these where we sit and look back at the way we have come. I remember back when it all started, back before we became who we are today. In a land far away we had our everyday lives until that one day where it all started. The ships had come in and one of the old sailormen told us stories of where he had been, on his early trips.

Stories of a land beyond belief, stories of mighty foes and dark powers, stories of Etheria. Back then I was just a poor scholar seeking knowlegde and wisdom. With nothing to keep me where I was, sails were soon set and the course was clear: The reknown Etheria. Few had been there and even fewer had returned. The sailor was the last of his crew and soon his stories would be forgotten. On board the vessel were three other mercenaries, some on hunt for wealth and fame in the far away land. On the deck of the ship I got a chance to inspect them. One of them was a sly huntress who could place traps and fire her crossbows with astonishing accuracy. "They won't know what hit them", she used to say with her high pitch voice. Back then noone could tell that she was going to be the legendary huntress.

Next to her stood what seemed to be a shrunken knight. He would swing his sword around as if he were in a fierce duel. His combat excercise was, however, frequently interrupted by his pants falling down. The voice coming from the squire had a peculiar sound, likely due to the metal helmet that rattled on his small head. Never on the adventures to come would he unequip that helmet, not even facing the terrifying demon lord, a manifestation of the evil powers that roamed in Etheria.

It took a while for me to realise the third member of adventurers as he had vowed to an oath of silence. The monk, whose past was and still is a mystery to us, only stood there and gazed into the horizon. In spite of his still pose and lack of words his presence seemed to have an effect on all of us. Then I saw something I had never seen before. A bird, nay, a tiny dragon had flown over to him and landed on the railing nearby. He seemed to pet the beast that had landed at his side and the dragon made a sound that most of all reminded me a cat that purrs. He must have a way with pets I thought to myself.

The ship had set off and the harbour behind us quickly faded, as did the noise of foot steps, laughter, seagulls, and drunken singing. I left my comfort of my folded robes and stood up. It was honestly difficult to see what was going on out there as my had was blocking the majority of my eyesight. No idea who got this idea, I thought as I correct the hat and bit. In the distance I got a glimpse of a big castle on top a green hill. I sat back down and looked through my gear. And so it begins...

[To be continued... if anybody reads this]

heh... Must say it was quite entertaining to write. I'll do another, even if it's just the two of you guys who read it :)

The idea is to write as the apprentice would have before he moved to Etheria and had his son... The apprentice the player can chose to level up and go on adventure with. So if everything goes to plan the 4 heroes will grow up and throughout their journey some of the mysteries of the characters will be explained (I tried with monk's pet scaling, did you notice?).