Trendy doesnt seem to care

Here's what we would lose and gain if we switched to a different forum package from what I understand. I add this information purely as a means to create more conversation around the topic. I think it's important to understand the positives and negatives of such a change. This is not just Trendy's community -- it's your community. We want to do what's best for you.

Gain

• Report players + mod reporting panel
  • Signatures
  • Thread titles in notification (X user replied in "So you think you can Mance?")
  • A "What's New" page that tracks all of your unread posts across the entire forum
  • New sidebars on forum front page (Latest New Threads, Latest New Posts)
  • Ignore users functionality
  • More stable multi-quote functionality between pages
  • Clearer page navigation bar (that goes beyond 3 pages at a time)
  • Ability to see last post, post date and thread title in a subforum on the forum homepage
  • Subforum descriptions on forum homepage
  • Most likely better image embedding and automatic URL linking
  • Better off-site linking (just tried linking Ice to this post and it went crazy)
  • Ability to create polls
  • Better search functionality
  • Possible better mobile usability

Lose

• Would most likely need to recreate your username
  • All previous posts and threads would be gone
  • Post count gone
  • Lose connection between blogs and forums (would need to make a new account for posting on blogs or we'd have to direct players to a forum thread to comment on a blog)
  • Lose connection between game and forums (not used now but could be used for cool things in the future)
  • Lose Influence Voting
  • It's possible the new forum would have to live on a site separate from the website (this used to be the case with our first forum -- we had the Dungeon Defenders website and a separate forums.trendyent.com site)
  • If the above is true, you wouldn't see forum notifications on the Dungeon Defenders website
  • Theming (new forums would be guaranteed to be uglier than current forums)
  • Ability to see a user's Steam profile, Twitch, YouTube or Twitter account on user profile (at least not by default -- we'd need to build that in, if I recall correctly)

I think those are the big things.

[[4370,users]] The benefits out way the cons imo.

I'm fine with losing my post count and re-creating my name again, meh I lost all my original ones anyway from your first transfer over. I'm looking in the long term.

Losing the blog is no big deal, I hate that thing and how it's set out with the latest post as the first post.

It's subjective how ugly the forum's will look and that's just a superficial thing anyway. DD1's original forums were simple, but worked with a kick ass format and multiple skins.

As for losing Influence votes? where do I sign up?

prefer more functionality than looks. 

Anyway that's my 2 cents on the matter.

Take it as you will.

[[4370,users]]

Minor request... Give a bit of notice if y'all decide to remove the influence vote. I still have a ton to spend, would be a shame to waste them lol.

@Fozzie quote:

Does creating Polls also go in the pros?

I so miss doing polls even silly ones.

It does. Added to the list.

[[24592,users]], great feedback! I'm hoping others will chime in, too.

@iamisom quote:

@Fozzie quote:

Does creating Polls also go in the pros?

I so miss doing polls even silly ones.

It does. Added to the list.

knowsnolimits, great feedback! I'm hoping others will chime in, too.

is the new forum green? That would be a huge + one too. Grass green like the long grassy plains of our home goblin land and leaf green like the thick forests of our home land too, until the old one came and made us their slaves gobu.

The only things I dont like about the current forums is the search function seems to be kinda terrible. There have been forum topics that Ive read then I forget where they are and try to search for them and come up empty. And I hate all the redirecting, its terrible. 

@Vindicit quote:

The only things I dont like about the current forums is the search function seems to be kinda terrible. There have been forum topics that Ive read then I forget where they are and try to search for them and come up empty. And I hate all the redirecting, its terrible. 

I forgot:  Better search functionality would most likely happen with a different forum. Added to the list of "Gains."

Another gain: A new forum would be readable on all mobiles (at least I think so). When the new forum had launched I had to install chrome on my Samsung Galaxy because the default browser only showed me the notification tab without any chance to close it. (of course I reported it back then and also some months later; but only on forum threads) So I think the compatibility would also be a benefit. (when talking about benefits I think of a random free-to-use php forum)

In my opinion the loss of user-posted contend should not be counted in this pro/con discussion because about 1 month later it is nearly impossible to find old threads anyway. Unless you like to click and scroll... the search function is not really reliable.

@Alhanalem quote:

I'm sorry you feel that way, but we're doing what we can. We're down to like two or three volunteer mods for the entire site (both DD1 and DD2). We can't read everything every day. And despite your evaluation of "appaling," nobody else is doing much to help. I've had one person in the last two weeks message me to tip off a possible problem. We can't fix a problem we aren't aware exists.

Now, I'm not going to rate myself awesome or anything, because I'm not (I have a lot of other duties so I can't be on the forums as much as I'd like) but we're doing what we can with the tools we have. You don't understand just how little we have on the back end. Simple, basic things. We can't even bring up a simple list of all the people that have been banned, warned, shadowbanned etc and/or for what reason. We don't have infractions anymore and have to  keep track of mod actions on a google doc. on the public side, nobody can inform us of problems in a reasonable way other than messaging us (and they have to know how to do that).

Sounds like a change is needed then.

This new forum sounds better and better to me now if it means we can have new mods who are actually active. You said it yourself 2-3 mods are around currently if that and I already can think of some outstanding members on here who would be perfect for the job.

Who are not only knowledgeable, but like to help the community out and the main thing is they are currently active.

This forum's mechanics sound terrible and out dated from your description. That would be another reason to start fresh. The fact you have to keep a seperate google document to tell who has been naughty or nice should tell you something.

Who cares about something superficial as influence points? I'm going to have close to 400 soon and I could care less if I lost them all.

I rather have more functionality then glitz especially if it limits the accessibility people have on here and from your end it's needed.

When the site was created, it was pretty promising. unfortunately Duxter (at the time, I think the company h as transitioned to a new name) dropped the ball on ongoing support and getting them to fix any problems more than a week or two after release was extraordinarly difficult, like pulling teeth. Let me tell you, I've been a mod on multiple forums with multiple different systems in the past and this is by far the least functional of them all. Duxter allegedly designed it under the mantra "has all the features you do need and none of the ones you don't." Unfortunately it seems they didn't really have such a good handle on what forum features were good and what were unnecessary.

The difficulty is the site was custom built to support the game (e.g. the influence voting system is built into it) so transitioning to a new system is going to be difficult if they do it. Because Duxter's system is proprietary, there is no import/export to other forum systems, which is w hy a lot of material would be lost (I suppose we could archive the site if necessary).

I certainly support switching to another system. Most other well known board systems have extentions and enough customizability to mimic the appearance of what we have now (well, the good parts of it at least).

For the sake of clarity, I had deleted the post you quoted almost right after posting it because this terrible forum didn't show me a bunch of replies that were made *hours* before I even loaded the thread.

@xArcAngel quote:

iamisom

Minor request... Give a bit of notice if y'all decide to remove the influence vote. I still have a ton to spend, would be a shame to waste them lol.

Hopefully I'm not speaking out of turn here - but we're aware of the lag in influence votes over the last couple weeks and figuring out some better/more engaging ones - they won't go to waste!