I was going to. Then they decided you'll have to grind out weapon skills/character levels in order to use certain weapon combinations (warrior dual-wielding locked until you're level 20, for example). Eff dat.

I was going to. Then they decided you'll have to grind out weapon skills/character levels in order to use certain weapon combinations (warrior dual-wielding locked until you're level 20, for example). Eff dat.

Holy crap, just realized I need to request a refund on Dungeon Defenders. I couldn't use my Hi-5 until 60!!!!

GW2 is going to be amazing. I've played GW1 from close to the start and it's great, but there is still a lot lacking. From what I read about GW2, they're making it even better, and fixing every shortcoming that GW1 had. We'll see how it is when I get my hot little hands on it day 1, but right now I'm thinking this is going to be the greatest game, ever. Can't wait.

GW2 is going to be amazing. I've played GW1 from close to the start and it's great, but there is still a lot lacking. From what I read about GW2, they're making it even better, and fixing every shortcoming that GW1 had. We'll see how it is when I get my hot little hands on it day 1, but right now I'm thinking this is going to be the greatest game, ever. Can't wait.
Agreed, I didn't play GW1, but I want to buy it to try it before GW2. But basically, GW2 looks like it will blow every other game in the genre out of the water. It might even be in a genre of its own! :D I'm twitching with anticipation

I'll definitely be playing it, played gw1 since the beta and the fact its not sub based was enough to keep me there! GW2 looks to be taking it all a step further...

Agreed, I didn't play GW1, but I want to buy it to try it before GW2. But basically, GW2 looks like it will blow every other game in the genre out of the water. It might even be in a genre of its own! :D I'm twitching with anticipation

While Guild Wars 1 is a good game if are expecting it to be like Guild Wars 2 you will be disappointed. They really overhauled a lot making Guild Wars 2 from everything I've read/seen, most of it for the better I think.

@OP I will definitely be playing Guild Wars 2 it's one of the few games I'm really looking forward to.

Watches a couple of videos...

Isn't that WoW with better features? I'll do like I normally do for new games 1. Wait for a sale 2. Wait for it to be released and read the reviews. Any game can create false hype. And/or 3. If it really is that amazing then I will check the price to see if i am to cheap for it.

The only thing i like about GW2 is their king of the hill guild pvp and of course using different skills with one character : )

Guild Wars 2 is the only MMO I even care about hearing about anymore. Everything else just sounds like crap in comparison.

Watches a couple of videos...

Isn't that WoW with better features? I'll do like I normally do for new games 1. Wait for a sale 2. Wait for it to be released and read the reviews. Any game can create false hype. And/or 3. If it really is that amazing then I will check the price to see if i am to cheap for it.

No. It's absolutely not WoW with better features. If you want that, you play SW:TOR. Guild Wars 2 is about changing a lot of old fundamentals about MMOs. You can read any preview you want about the game, they'll all sing its praise, plenty of people have played several hours of it already all over the world.

Guild Wars 2 is the only MMO I even care about hearing about anymore. Everything else just sounds like crap in comparison.

No. It's absolutely not WoW with better features. If you want that, you play SW:TOR. Guild Wars 2 is about changing a lot of old fundamentals about MMOs. You can read any preview you want about the game, they'll all sing its praise, plenty of people have played several hours of it already all over the world.

Sort of looks like it, but I'll take your word for it. Tell me how it is.

as a veteran GW1 player i as well will no doubt play it, btw level req is your prob? even in this game it exists, lets do slicers at deeper well level 1 :P
this game is gonna be epic and will definitely change the way MMO's work from the day its released.

Sort of looks like it, but I'll take your word for it. Tell me how it is.

Well, I'm sure it does sort of look like it, it's still an MMO, but it's really not the same at all. The combat, for one, is entirely different. Projectiles and whatnot mostly have to actually be aimed and can be actively dodged, enemies have different aggro mechanics where different mobs prioritize different players, and this is important because...

There's no holy trinity, there's no dedicated healer, tank or DPS. Or rather, everyone is DPS with lots of utility, and the game is about everyone actively contributing to the fight as a team rather than one guy doing X job his entire time playing the game. It sounds a bit weird at first, especially since lots of RPGs are built entirely with the holy trinity in mind. "Who's gonna tank, then?" you ask. Well... everyone, sort of! Tanking will be someone swapping to a shield or perhaps just keeping some quick weapons equipped and getting up on an enemy and distracting them while avoiding as much damage as possible. Everyone has a self-heal of some form, and a few have team heals, but they're not designed to be spammed, they're designed for occasional usage.

This means that you're swapping out "tanks" after they start taking damage, they don't sit in there getting their face beat the entire time. But that's not the only thing that works... Some classes have abilities they can throw down that completely keep enemies out of a small area for a set of time, some enclose enemies, others have abilities like fire walls that can go up to damage enemies, and if you're a class with a bow, you can shoot arrows through the fire wall which turn into fire arrows.

Speaking of combo abilities, there's going to be lots of them. If you're an elementalist and you freeze the ground, and a warrior uses a ground smash ability (Both designed for taking down enemies, mind you, these aren't just buff moves.) then it smashes the frozen ground into frost armor for your team. All kinds of stuff like that.

While there are certainly classes, your role can change on the fly. The skills you have on your hot bar look like a small amount of abilities at first, especially if you're used to WoW and 6 hotbars or a giant hotcube (lol) plastered on your screen. Each weapon loadout has 5 abilities on the left and 5 on the right, not including stances and such. The more you use a certain weapon type, the more of these abilities you unlock, and you can dual-wield so many different things on each class that it's insane. I don't have too many off-hand examples I can name-drop since I don't remember them, but just watching TotalBiscuit play was a joy to watch as he kept his same main-hand for a long duration but swapped up his off-hand, which changed his abilities to a different form of play.

In that way, weapon types give you access to all-new abilities rather than just being stat boosts or restricting your old abilities. All the abilities looked very viable in combat situations and played to different combat styles, it's really satisfying. Obviously there'll be a few level restrictions, but hey, it is an RPG.

Beyond that, there's the dynamic questing system. Think of Rift, only, rather than there being just rifts with monsters you can fight, the entire quest system (Sans a few special story quests back at town, I believe.) is dynamic. You get quests by exploring the world. Something will pop up on your screen saying "Something's happening over there! You should probably give it a look!' and you go check, and maybe some Centaurs are raiding a town. If you ignore it, and no one goes to fight them, the Centaurs may just take over that town.

That's not where it ends, though. Let's say no one takes the town back, well, the Centaurs might amass a large army and use the town as their own and start spreading their influence some and trying to take other towns, this may lead to an entirely different quest chain than if you simply defeated them. But if you did defeat them, it could've started another quest chain where their brethren want revenge and send out some bosses to fight. All the dynamic quests have branching succeed/fail quests that happen after the fact, and you don't get a pop-up box where you scroll down and hit accept, this stuff literally just happens as you're playing and you could choose to ignore it and continue on, finding more dynamic quests somewhere else.

Speaking of dynamic quests, they're not very fun if they're zerged with 400 people... or so you'd think, all the dynamic quests (Sans a few rare exceptions, I think, that require a minimum number of people.) in the game scale to however many people are actively participating. So, say there's a giant boss that lands and must be destroyed, and you're fighting him on your own. You could take him down so long as you're good enough. But let's say a huge passing group of people (Let's say Justin Bieber is playing and he's got a flock of groupies following him.) join in out of nowhere, as long as people are actively participating (i.e. contributing to the fight in some way, the game runs checks constantly to see who's fighting/buffing/helping NPCs/reviving.) then the difficulty of the quest will scale up to make sure that the bar of difficulty stays the same no matter how many people join, meaning people coming in out of nowhere helps you, rather than harms you.

For those dynamic quests, rewards are given to everyone, and as long as you meet a certain threshold your rewards will be quite nice, players who contribute more receive more loot, but everyone gets sufficient rewards, you're not gonna be mad at someone for being an MVP, as with their help the loot got better for everyone.

Speaking of loot, when killing non-quest mobs for any reason, as long as everyone involved, whether in a party or not, does sufficient damage to a mob, full experience is granted and everyone involved is able to roll on/receive loot from monsters. This means that, again, people helping you out aren't stealing your kills, only making progress faster. All this is designed very specifically with the "massively multiplayer" part of MMO in mind, they want everyone to be able to work together, not to go huddle in a corner going "These are MY mobs god I hope no one comes by!"

As for the down-but-not-out system, let's discuss it! When you're "killed," you go into a downed state kind of like in, say, Gears of War, but rather than lying there helplessly, it's a bit like Borderlands, where you've got access to special abilities, if you manage to clear the area around you of enemies (i.e. killing them) then you're rewarded by not dying, you get up and back into the fight. This occurs even when in parties and groups, so until you're dead for good, you're never truly out of it. Of course, in this state you can't move your character around aside from turning to aim, but any other player (Party or not, class is irrelevant as well.) can revive you from this state by interacting with your character for several seconds. This also works on any NPC in the game that is downed during dynamic quests, so reviving them and players gets you contribution points and makes the fight go that much smoother!

I could go on and on, all day about this game, but really, just look up some videos. I just got myself psyched for it all over again.

I'm not quoting all of that (for obvious reasons), but it sounds cool and a 1 time price makes it so much more worth it. I might get it.

I'm not quoting all of that (for obvious reasons), but it sounds cool and a 1 time price makes it so much more worth it. I might get it.
Yep it's really gonna be ground breaking, there is no doubt. And xbob isnt kidding, he could go on all day about it. AND YESS NO MONTHLY FEE! Ok yes this game keeps making me excited every time I read about it. And i just passed out cuz I found a skill builder, oh gosh!