Quality of Life Improvements

Recent patches have been a plethora of new content.  New incursions, new heroes, new items, etc.

While all the new content is great, I (for one) would be interested in slowing down the content push in order to make a series of QOL improvements.  This thread is <intended> to be a place for everyone on the forums to (briefly) state what QOL improvements are burning in their minds the most.  

I'm not looking for a list of bugs here - that's for another thread.  Please limit your responses to suggestions for QOL improvements, and rather than fill up the thread with a large number of "Yeah, I agree" posts, let's use this poll:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfoyiphgdSHe9vL6UJpRkORskJdt2Yg0jUqNHPij7mXUY-qug/viewform

To avoid the pain of making you log in, I didn't put any kind of multiple response controls on it.  Please try to be an adult. 

If you see a new item on the list that you want to vote for, submit another response with just that item, rather than your whole wishlist again.

I'll periodically try to come back and edit the suggestions into the first post, and the poll.  As the list gets longer, I might organize it by topic rather than chronologically. You may notice I reword/paraphrase some of your suggestions.  If my rephrasing loses the point of your suggestion, send me a PM and i'll fix it.

I'll start us off with a few.  The first several have my name on them because they were part of my original list, but I've likely picked up some/all of them over the course of the past year by reading the forums.  I simply don't have the patience to go dig through the forums to appropriately assign credit.

1) Remove need to set an iPwr requirement when creating private games <StretchyAlien>

2) If one of the characters in my active hero deck meets the iPwr requirement to join a game, don't make me close the menu, switch to that character, and then re-load the game list <StretchyAlien>

3) Sorting/reordering of the hero cards <StretchyAlien>

4) Return to tavern should return you to either the public tavern or the private tavern, depending on which one you joined the game from <StretchyAlien>

5) Allow the rest of the group to stay in-game (replay) if one person in the group returns to tavern, unless they're in a party <StretchyAlien>

6) Allow auto-collect to be customized further.  I should be able to choose "Mythical and Legendary" or even "worn and legendary" to be auto collected in a single bag.  Perhaps change each type to a checkbox, rather than a dropdown?  Additionally, break out the pet-related and non-gear items into better categories (eg. I don't want to grab lockboxes, but i do want pet food) <StretchyAlien>

7) Allow auto-sell of items on the ground that aren't covered by auto-collect settings, or add a hotkey to directly sell an item from the ground <StretchyAlien>

8) Remove horde waves, or drastically revamp them for onslaught.  it can easily take 20 minutes for all 3 waves in a horde round. <StretchyAlien>

9) Allow onslaught to be started from a higher wave than 0, if the player has previously cleared said wave. <StretchyAlien>

10) After the splash screen for "what's new" has been shown to me once (per patch/update) on entry to the tavern, don't put it in front of my face any more times <StretchyAlien>

11) Upgrade wheel is still painfully slow to use.  Reduce the click-spam required to get through all the animations. <StretchyAlien>

12) Widen the tower display - it clearly doesn't have space for as many digits as we are achieving (eg. Damage Dealt)

13) Allow us to manipulate stacks of items.  Especially food - I'd like to be able to combine my stack of 3 fish with my stack of 4 fish, rather than simply switch where the two stacks are in my bag. <StretchyAlien>

14) Allow character renaming <Jojozityjo>

15) Stack sizes should be increased.  Materials go to 99, but food only to 10? <Jojozityjo>

16) Allow an "unsort" option in case the sort is accidentally triggered <Jojozityjo>

17) Make the inventory screen bigger/longer/etc so that more than one bag can be seen at a time.  Will also facilitate moving items from one bag to another without having to drop the item on the bag icon to the left. <Jojozityjo>

18) During build phase, allow us to have f1-f12 mapped to heroes, since the 4-card deck is irrelevant during build phase <Chedeuine, g_cracka88>

19) Alternatively, or in addition to, sorting/reordering the hero cards, allow a way to favorite heroes so they appear on the first page <gotrunks712>

20) overhaul on tower inspection pane in a big way.  All relevant stats (including passives) should be visible on a player's towers so that other players know it's there. <geo981010>

21) Saving of build templates to speed up tedious builds on maps and reduce downtime for non-builder players.  <geo981010> *StretchyAlien comment - take a look at supreme commander for an excellent example of what this looks like when it's well done*

22) Remove "waiting for players" when starting a private game.  Especially remove it on subsequent replays in that same private game. <Pegazul>

23)  Add a flying training dummy to the tavern, so that we can distinguish in-tavern between defenses that hit ground, air, or both <Hom-Sha-Bom>

24) Add a bulk input (5 or 50 at a time) to upgrade points on items, similar to what's on SAS points to avoid future carpal tunnel. <SirKillsALot>

25) Allow us to oil/freeze/ignite the training dummies so that we can see combos in the tavern <StretchyAlien>

26) Search/filter/sort feature that applies across bags, instead of limited to per-bag <CKaz>

27) Rework color scheme for text on top of colored bars for readability (DU remaining, defense health, etc) <mindlessdefender, SirKillsALot>

28) Ability to "lock" items so they can't be accidentally sold <KnowsNoLimits>

29) Item buyback interface <KnowsNoLimits>

30) Remove the need to store up large amounts of garbage loot (taking up valuable bag space and exacerbating all the other inventory management issues) for upgrading.  Perhaps item upgrades should only require gold/medals/XP boost items? <KnowsNoLimits>

31) Various and Sundry (TM) goblin-related easter eggs, because reasons. <dreamanime>

32) More available max bag space, perhaps tied to number of character cards or unique hero classes owned <A2152225>

33) Hero deck overlay - some kind of a simple pane that sits on the screen during build/combat that shows what heroes are attached to what hero deck slots, to prevent accidentally grabbing the wrong one at a critical moment because you've forgotten that you recently reordered your deck <offroadxpipe, g_cracka88>

34) add an indicator on traps for detonation range, as well as trigger range <Hom-Sha-Bom>

35) Allow tabbing between input fields in the create game menu <Dreizehn>

36) Wheel-style interface for callouts/defenses (like DD1?) to be more controller-friendly

37) Show the name of the currently active hero near his health bar - will cut down on accidentally building with DPSers if the have the same outfit <StretchyAlien>

Cheers 

-Stretch

+Allow Character renaming.

+increase stack sizes of certain items, if pet evovle materials can stack to 99, so should pet food and reroll items.

+allow is to "Unsort" a bag if we accidentally hit sort, so we can organize the items in that bag to our own liking instead of having them all cluster up in some pre-determined order. Such as: So I and others can have dps/builder gear on seperate sides of the same bag for quick and easier gear swapping/maintenance.

+Make the inventory tab bigger/longer so i can view more than 1 large bag at a time and easily move items from 1 bag to another, almost full, bag

Allow movement of characters in your roster.

I have two pages of characters and when I'm farming a particular map over and over again, I'd like to be able to move the characters I need (builders, dpsers) to the first page.

- Suggestion stolen from Chedeuine   from this thread, but an option that would allow us to use the full range of F-Keys (1-12) to hot-swap between builder heroes that we could use during building phases would be fantastic! (since there is no hero deck restriction during build phases, it gets cumbersome to keep manually switching between builder heroes, while only being able to hot-swap between 4 of them). Of course, if such a feature were to be implemented, it would have to be for the build phase only!

If you want the like button to be the method of showing support for an idea, you'll want to limit your post to one idea.   Otherwise there may be 15 and only one is actually liked enough to get implemented. 

Personally, I would prefer a way to "favorite"  heroes at minimum (if sorting was out of the picture).   Essentially you could favorite heroes that would then appear on the first tab of the hero selection screen.  That would also provide flexibility with changing that as needed. 

@gotrunks712 quote:

If you want the like button to be the method of showing support for an idea, you'll want to limit your post to one idea.   Otherwise there may be 15 and only one is actually liked enough to get implemented. 

Yeah, that occurred to me right before i hit "post," but it was too late at night for me to care too much.  I'll space them out into individual posts after work today.

I like most of these a lot, and would agree that now that the game browser is pretty solid that more QoL tweaks would be good.

My two main ones that are not covered here:

1) Defense Examination Info - big overhaul on this. Examining a tower should not show irrelevant stats (ie no more def crit chance or defense crit damage on SA), but also show all the passives/spheres that effect it too. So a good Frosty should show range + health, the frozen sphere is on, snowstorm %, frosty power % and DP bonus for FP. Flameburst towers should include things like not only attack damage, but indicate that the damage is area effect and give area effect size. Leveling up the tower should likewise show up as an item that shows what was changed because of the increased tower level. There are complaints about noobs not knowing basic things, so making this info readily available would help a lot with getting them up to speed.

2) Allow saving off map build templates - I want to setup my towers in solo play until they are just right and save my "Bling King geyser+frosty fest" template, and then be able to replicate that tower build by just selecting it from a list whenever I play the map. This would be a huge time saver and gets rid of all that waiting for the 2 or 3 non-builders have to do each time, and for the builder it will allow making little tweaks a lot easier (select template, then sell + move a tower, then save over old template), and prevent the "Oops I forgot SA in lane and we lost in first 2 minutes after all that setup". Right now you can use the recent meta builds to get going in a couple of minutes, but when maps really are tough like the old Ramparts Incursions pre-Abyss Lord, it would be often be several minutes of painstaking placement for having any chance of winning. I know this wouldn't work for incursions like Bastille or Power Surge, but just about anything else it would be huge.

There is a good amount of content right now, and besides the lag bug the game is pretty smooth and a lot of fun. Making a bunch of the little odd issues work better really may be one of the last things that is needed before the end of the alpha and get the game officially in gear. There will be a rush of people coming back or starting up then, so making it virtually wart free is good so people can enjoy the fun parts as much as possible!

Great list i agree with pretty much all of them.

- remove the waiting for players thing when starting a private game.

Add a flying training dummy. It can be suspended in the air by balloons or a helicopter-like propeller. Let it be targeted like normal flying mobs (Sky Guard Tower can hit it, Flamethrower cannot, Flame Burst can).

Nice list, heres my input

-Add bulk input for upgrade points like SAS points. its no fun clicking 50 times to put the points each time upgrading a piece.

@stretchyalien quote:

Spreading my first post out into individual suggestions, so the "like" button can be used on them (slowly, since it appears there is some sort of timeout on mass posting)

Sorting/reordering of the hero cards

Please just do a strawpoll or something instead of separate posts. squire_small.png

@Elandrian quote:

Please just do a strawpoll or something instead of separate posts. squire_small.png

Huh, sorry i didn't see this until I was done.  Can you point me to directions on how to do that, for the future?  :D

Search / filter / sort / search across all inventory (not talking about limited per bag controls - find stuff across 10+ bags!)

Be soo helpful in finding best in slot, attributes, perks, I've made a thread about it.  Evrn as simple as highlight new/recent drops too.  Biggest QOL to me for sure!

Changing the color or text of the UI part where it tells you how much points you got left to build towers be nice so you can actually Read what it says. Because Light Green on White text is a bad choice and is hard to read.
greend_zpsbjtfod5w.jpg

Also be nice to have more stash space, Maybe make a Stash by the pet people where you can store all pet items.

@mindlessdefender quote:

Changing the color or text of the UI part where it tells you how much points you got left to build towers be nice so you can actually Read what it says. Because Light Green on White text is a bad choice and is hard to read.
greend_zpsbjtfod5w.jpg

same for the defense health.

allow sorting/reordering of hero cards 85.7%

Allow character renaming 85.7%
Sweet!

• Able to lock items so you can't accidentally sell them
  • Able to buy back items if you do sell them
  • Able to change colour of your outfit 
  • Able to farm Dragolich's
  • Replace Onslaught with Survival
  • Upgrade items with gold only and not worry about trash loot when enhancing
  • Make Legendary armour actually rare
  • Make NM one difficulty again and for progression's sake have it incrementally get tougher with each wave
  • Bring back Ogre Trains
  • Give pets active abilities
  • Private Tavern with Trophies of your achievements
  • Sharken

@KnowsNoLimits quote:
  • Make NM one difficulty again and for progression's sake have it incrementally get tougher with each wave
  • Bring back Ogre Trains
  • Sharken

Some of those are not considered quality of life changes. 
Also why make legendary more rare?  The stats are so RNG it takes like 1,000 legendary for the right stats and passives to line up. Unless you just godly lucky.

@mindlessdefender quote:

@KnowsNoLimits quote:
  • Bring back Ogre Trains
  • Sharken

Also why make legendary more rare?  The stats are so RNG it takes like 1,000 legendary for the right stats and passives to line up. Unless you just godly lucky.

Well I know Sharken would improve my quality of life in this game.Sharkman_insane.png

Really you question why Legendaries should be ultra rare? It's in it's title.

Right now you have an Orange Bonanza going on this tarnishing the value of this tier.

Mythical's should be what people mostly get and now and again a Legendary should appear. Also in doing this Legendaries should roll close to max rolls, so you don't have to compete with troll rng like you mentioned. That's how you do loot, make it ultra rare and give incentive for people wanting it and rewarded them when they get actually it.

Right now it's oh look here's another Legendary, well time to add it to the pile.

It's too late for Legendary tier. Time to bring Godly back and make it actually rare and worth farming for.

Changing the game by reworking Onslaught and changing there philosophy on how rare items should be and such are game changing changes not so much Quality of life.

Quality of life are simply minor changes to UI or other things that do not effect game play much.  Most of your suggestions are QoL changes though.
And I see where you coming from with the Legendary more rare change, as it is now they would have to introduce a new tier and make it super rare like you said.

@mindlessdefender quote:

I have to agree.  Some of those I would classify as content, not QoL.  I'll put the ones that i think aren't a content push into the top post and the poll, but things like rebalancing, changing loot drop tables, significant additional content in the taverns, and adding new mob types aren't really what this thread is for. 

@mindlessdefender quote:

Changing the game by reworking Onslaught and changing there philosophy on how rare items should be and such are game changing changes not so much Quality of life.

Quality of life are simply minor changes to UI or other things that do not effect game play much.  Most of your suggestions are QoL changes though.
And I see where you coming from with the Legendary more rare change, as it is now they would have to introduce a new tier and make it super rare like you said.

@stretchyalien quote:

@mindlessdefender quote:

I have to agree.  Some of those I would classify as content, not QoL.  I'll put the ones that i think aren't a content push into the top post and the poll, but things like rebalancing, changing loot drop tables, significant additional content in the taverns, and adding new mob types aren't really what this thread is for. 

Yup, I started with QoL changes and then was heading towards a tangent expressing some of my disappointment with the game and crap that should of been addressed already.

So fair call.

Add a damage counter and kill count to Serenity Aura's inspect tooltip. I get why they weren't originally included, because SA doesn't do any damage, but with the addition of Purge Evil, it should now display damage dealt and number of kills.