Sign in to follow this  
iAndy

Lavamancer

Still not too hyped about this one, even more "active tower defending" than the abyss lord, and how often do we see those commands being used?

But we will see if it turns out to be just another underused mechanic or not.

Initial impressions are mixed but obviously I'll have a better opinion once I play him.

• This is the first hero who has a limited defence, can only place 3 of the Fissures of Embermount. Will the DU costs reflect this?
  • Eruption mechanic looks cool but I'm worried that his defences might be weak without it or overly strong with it. Hoping the balance between the different status is good.
  • Looks like he can easily use the ignite combo! :D 
  • Maw of the Earth Drake looks really interesting a potential replacement or synergy for frost towers.
  • Volcano looks a tad underwhelming but maybe the video and the description are being deceiving.
Not really mentioning much about the ability side other than Eruption as I'm more excited for the building aspect. However root motion is something to keep an eye on. It really makes a difference for melee characters.

The towers and abilities of the lavamancer look really nice! Im just very afraid that it has a serious case of "overcomplicated mechanics". If the fissures act like a weapon manufacturer for resources, I'm pretty sure I wont be using the lavamancer a whole lot. I wich the dev's keep a clear line between damage heroes and builder heroes. 

That said,  if fissure just does decent damage for a low DU and eruption just scales on ability power of the user, I will be very happy!

Looks like a load of fun, initially Gun Witch was slightly clunky but once you got used to it she's devastating. I play DPS AL quite a bit so using direct command is normal for me, but as Pandy says many don't play DPS AL so don't use it.

I think the Lavamancer will be great to play we'll see how towers scale and with which stats, he looks very hybrid orientated.

Like previously stated, I hope the fissures aren't too costly.   One way to bypass that is to make them more akin to an ability with a limited duration, but they do energy once they expire.   That way you don't have a DPS hero who is only viable with certain defenses. 

It either must be that of 20 DU so it can take the place of my spare serenity on a lot of maps. 

I'm really excited for this guy, honestly. He easily looks more interesting than EV/AL when in comes to design. AL boiled down to using 1 tower and EV is normally used for Buff Beam or Photon beams... and I don't normally use them for Photon beams, they are just the tower with the best CC atm, honestly.

This guy brings a couple unique gameplay options that looks like he will be potent without sheer tower-numbers. His Maw tower provides an absolute (broken, in theory) version of CC to the game... CCing an enemy then having all enemies nearby *stop moving* to *attack* that enemy seems absolutely crazy. His Oil Geyser tower both provides a strong amount of CC in the form of a slow (depending on it's rate of fire) and self synergy. I was kinda confused about the Volcano tower, but it looks like a better Skyguard tower... so...

I don't think the fissures will do too much damage, they seem like something that resemble the Weapon Manufacturer in gameplay and will mainly be there as a tower for DPS users to benefit from.

I'm very excited for him. I bought a few extra Character cards just for him, just in case he has the trinity builds of DPS/Active builder/Non-active builder like AL does. Also Melee hero! Yay!

I really hope the fissures don't cost a lot as others and do fire damage so they can combo with the geysers.  I do wonder if the maws could rub double duty as walls, since the look wide enough.  I am somewhat disappointed thoigh, from what i remember from the hero description, his harden/enflame effected his defenses.

@iAndy quote:

Lavamancer sounds really cool!  I hope the stone beam works on ogres.  That would be hilarious to see 20 goblins beating on a huge ogre. 

Ohhhhh ooooh, gobu gobu gobu!!!!! That would be AWESOME. That will be the ultimate defense and i will use it all the time :D, gobu. Goblins working for defenders, a dream comes true, gobu!!!!!!

I always said we should join force with the defenders, gobu, they have tasty pet foods after all!

Lavamancer looks fun :)

More defenses is always better. Cant wait to mix and match with the other stuff.

@dreamanime quote:

@iAndy quote:

Lavamancer sounds really cool!  I hope the stone beam works on ogres.  That would be hilarious to see 20 goblins beating on a huge ogre. 

Ohhhhh ooooh, gobu gobu gobu!!!!! That would be AWESOME. That will be the ultimate defense and i will use it all the time :D, gobu. Goblins working for defenders, a dream comes true, gobu!!!!!!

I always said we should join force with the defenders, gobu, they have tasty pet foods after all!

*throws money food at the screen*

@Dreizehn quote:

@dreamanime quote:

@iAndy quote:

*throws money food at the screen*

Just ordered a 3kg Sachertorte.

AND ITS FOR ME ONLY!!!!!! GOBU!!! :d I wonder how long It will take to finish it, probably will freeze alot in the refrigerator :_D.

I am hit and miss with this hero. There are some cool things I can do with him and he does look viable, but I will have to blow 2 hero cards on this guy and I am not a huge fan of the ridiculous DU costs for Earth Drake and Volcano (80 and 100 respectively)

I got my 12000 medals ready for tomorrow ^_^

I also prefer lower DU defenses for more variety and strategic mixing but if they are worth the DU then i'm fine with it.

@ChrisH36 quote:

I am hit and miss with this hero. There are some cool things I can do with him and he does look viable, but I will have to blow 2 hero cards on this guy and I am not a huge fan of the ridiculous DU costs for Earth Drake and Volcano (80 and 100 respectively)

Don't worry they will be super over powered to make up for their DU costs. Did you see how many fireballs shoot out of the volcano? That alone looks like it's worth more than 5 elemental chaos or 2 earth shatter or 2 blaze balloons, or 2 harpoons, or anything else that you can build for 100 DU. And the Maw of the Earth Drake has double the HP of blockades, blocks a bigger area than blockades, and creates mini blockades for free when it petrifies things.

Yeah I ended up building a Volcano to test the theory and it alleviated my fears. If you get 50 speed and get a Buff Beam across it, you can make the Volcano fire every second. The range on it is almost map wide in quite a few maps, it can still target air units or multi hit enemies if you are either lucky or there are few enemies in striking range and the shots ignore walls and obstacles to hit enemies. 

You are limited to 1, but you can move it around like the Abyss Lord Colossus. run stun chance and Deadzone attack (since the Volcano cannot target anything within melee striking distance of it too easily). Also, 1 weapon passive allows you to fire a massive rock every 10 eruptions, which is easily to accelerate through. In my old plans for most of my maps, I had some unwanted Flamethrowers (I use mainly Physical/Fire to deal damage), so I can scrap them for this Volcano/Buff investment and use Flamethrowers in curved regions or where they will not be targeted so easily. I can also put Oil Geysers in front of my walls and erupt them for bosses and melee enemies (a problem I had in my old strategies that cost me dearly).

I'll save the Maw of the Earth Drake for bigger maps with larger DU pools though. However, when something does get petrified, it will accumulate damage but it won't register till the curse breaks.

@dreamanime quote:

@iAndy quote:

It works on bosses and Ogres, but Tenacious still takes effect. It is actually quite hilarious to see. However, the damage won't register until the stone skin shatters. If the enemy dies from the damage, they shatter to bits when the skin breaks and you can also stack on 50% of the Defense Power as splash to nearby.