Sign in to follow this  
Nexus

CDT UPDATE 3 : Tavern Expansion Discussion

@MrSossenbinder quote:

I hope this won't mess with items we have laying on the floor :)

wow that's a good warning thx 

i will save all of my items in the box before the update 3 xD

@kg4q quote:

@MrSossenbinder quote:

I hope this won't mess with items we have laying on the floor :)

wow that's a good warning thx 

i will save all of my items in the box before the update 3 xD

I agree

There may be a Item loss prevention system added in to prevent any loss of floor items when the new tavern is instituted into the game and anything that falls through the floor / walls will be dropped into a "Lost and Found" box.  System is pending but it should prevent loss of peoples item collections.

The new tavern idea sounds great.

I had a few good ideas as possible tavern games that would be fun to play but most of them were way to abstract to actually incorporate.

Give an option to practice DDR in Tavern basement. Arcade machines are there in the basement already, why not add an actual one that works and might help people practice for Fish runs without actually having to load up a map unlock the door then do it.

Also if it can be done -- give an option to summoner to go into Overlord mode and move the dropped items manually to your liking. It would be nice if you can arrange them easily without constantly picking up and dropping items until they suit your preferred position.

One final suggestion would be, update the Tavern Dummy to show Summoner's Flash Heal amount and how it scales(or varies) on NM vs Insane(and lower). Not everyone is a number freak and having an option to actually see how the Flash Heal scales beyond a certain number would be nice.

@Black Mamba quote:

Also if it can be done -- give an option to summoner to go into Overlord mode and move the dropped items manually to your liking. It would be nice if you can arrange them easily without constantly picking up and dropping items until they suit your preferred position.

That is one of the coolest suggestions I've seen so far.

@Black Mamba quote:

Indeed we need this 

As much as I do like the idea of a new tavern, there is just something that wont be the same if we take that away and replace it with something bigger, even if it is as close to the original as possible. I suggest with the new tavern that there be an option to switch back to the old school tavern so that people who like displaying their items can do so more effectively, but the people who like the old school tavern can still use the original skin.

@Magicus quote:

As much as I do like the idea of a new tavern, there is just something that wont be the same if we take that away and replace it with something bigger, even if it is as close to the original as possible. I suggest with the new tavern that there be an option to switch back to the old school tavern so that people who like displaying their items can do so more effectively, but the people who like the old school tavern can still use the original skin.

A door which can be opened and closed just by the host?

@EagleOne quote:

@Magicus quote:

A door which can be opened and closed just by the host?

That could work

@Magicus quote:

It's the same tavern with a smidgen extra floor space on the bottom floor. The upper floor is brand new.  There's no "Skin".. it's the tavern that you know with structural improvements. 

I've also gone through the trouble of making every single holiday theme available to the host at the press of a button. And more floor space has been requested since the release of the last DLC that ever came out.  I've put a lot of work into this revised Tavern space, (I've rebuilt the tavern 4 times over the last 5 years.. never got approved)  so it can meet everyone's desires for more than enough room to display their items on either floor in any fashion they choose.    There's a lot of other improvements that are coming with this tavern expansion too.. so if it's still a negative because "it's just no the same!" Sorry.. but this has been put off for a long long time. 

I have to say, for a player like me who spends 99.999% of his time waiting in the tavern this update will bring me back into the game for another 1500h at least. I can't wait to play photosynthesis in the tavern again squire_small.png

@Nexus quote:

@Magicus quote:

It's the same tavern with a smidgen extra floor space on the bottom floor. The upper floor is brand new.  There's no "Skin".. it's the tavern that you know with structural improvements. 

I've also gone through the trouble of making every single holiday theme available to the host at the press of a button. And more floor space has been requested since the release of the last DLC that ever came out.  I've put a lot of work into this revised Tavern space, (I've rebuilt the tavern 4 times over the last 5 years.. never got approved)  so it can meet everyone's desires for more than enough room to display their items on either floor in any fashion they choose.    There's a lot of other improvements that are coming with this tavern expansion too.. so if it's still a negative because "it's just no the same!" Sorry.. but this has been put off for a long long time. 

Well, adding a door to please also players like Magicus does not seem to be such of a big deal when you also included all the other tavern themes. I don't think he will be the only player who would like this addition, remembering reactions and responses from DDE's and DD2's bigger Tavern.

It is not the CDT's purpose, or mine,  to be here to please everyone with every single design/request/demand.  As much as we'd love to incorporate every single idea/plan/scheme/nuance, that's just not plausible much less realistic as far as time.  Regarding adding some door the host can control, to that I say.. why?  We would need a really really good reason besides "Just because I don't want people up there".

There's already two private rooms for the host to go into and mind their own business and I feel like that's enough of that kind of space for the tavern. If hosts don't want to be around other players then maybe don't host open games?  The new floor is designed to be used by everyone and there's a good reason for it.. all I can do is suggest to wait and see and give it a chance before anyone jumps to this conclusion they don't like it just because it's "different".

@Nexus quote:

It is not the CDT's purpose, or mine,  to be here to please everyone with every single design/request/demand.  As much as we'd love to incorporate every single idea/plan/scheme/nuance, that's just not plausible much less realistic as far as time.  Regarding adding some door the host can control, to that I say.. why?  We would need a really really good reason besides "Just because I don't want people up there".

There's already two private rooms for the host to go into and mind their own business and I feel like that's enough of that kind of space for the tavern. If hosts don't want to be around other players then maybe don't host open games?  The new floor is designed to be used by everyone and there's a good reason for it.. all I can do is suggest to wait and see and give it a chance before anyone jumps to this conclusion they don't like it just because it's "different".

well you always have to try something first to see if it's good or not :D

but man this looks so cool i can tell that it's going to be amazing

@Nexus quote:

This is just LOL. Someone has a concern and just because YOU don't want it, you say "Neither me nor the CDT is here to please everyone"... this perfectly mathes the whole mind of the CDT even though you are here to work FOR the community which includes ALL players :)

Do you remember the last two years when many of the CDT were mocking and begging Trendy just because they had no time to please the DD1 Community with further support? It is so funny that exactly the same guys are responding and acting like that now. In addition it adds to the insight that YOU guys actually just work towards YOUR own goals :D

I really don't know what exactly your issue is; You seem to be talented to map, therefore it does not seem to be a nightmare for you to add a door in order to please more, in order to add further agreement to a change. Why can't players have a choice of a small tavern or a big one? Obviously this is not game breaking or anything but anyways there are most likely more than just one users who would like a smaller tavern for whatever reason. Whatever, thanks for the insight in another CDT's mind.

I'd love a newer and bigger tavern, but I can understand the concern of someone who wants the legacy(current) tavern as it is.
Its not like you have to re-create the old tavern, its already there.
So just like you mention you have options to change tavern themes, have one theme to be the older smaller vanilla tavern.

The Tavern is a sensitive issue since its such an integral part of DD. It's literally where you spend most of the time in the game when not farming. Wouldn't be wrong in saying the Tavern is your second home if you play DD a lot. So with respect to Tavern customizations, changes etc. every single concern should be taken into consideration. There might be multiple reasons why Trendy didn't make it bigger in the past or change its layout.
However if you are adamant on a bigger Tavern, I have no objections with it in fact I welcome it, but you have to seriously consider someone requesting an option to have the older tavern as it is.

With words like these -- "It is not the CDT's purpose, or mine, to be here to please everyone with every single design/request/demand." You are doing more harm to the community than good with your content. The CDT stands for -- "COMMUNITY Development Team" and not "Nexus Development Team". Even one person is part of the community and if that person has a concern, it should be addressed.

Someone has asked for an option to have the old tavern available to them and that is not how you should be responding to them. Its just one person here saying they want the old tavern to stay as an option, there might be many more who think the same way. Its not like they are requesting for some totally new or unfeasible change.
The models and textures for the old tavern are already there, and you are adding the option to have tavern themes anyways, let one theme be the classic vanilla smaller tavern. As simple as that.

@Black Mamba quote:

-snippet-

Agreed :)

Sometimes I just feel like they are very agitated and angry when I respond because they think I'm attacking them or talking borderline, though I always try to get a consenus between one and another opinion. I don't mind about most changes in personal but I'm not just thinking about myself. I always try to have several view of points, from beginner over advanced to veteran and master to cover a full spectrum of DD's playerbase. That means in one thread I'm talking for beginners and in another for veterans, even though my focus is mostly set on beginners since high-end and vetran/masters are often set by others.

So, yay I think they think I'm looking for trouble :(

Since my opinion is worth about 2 ult++ lab weapons i will post here about this "issue"

i feel that there should be a way to change your tavern just like the crystal. i personally don't care very much sbut i can see the legacy of the tavern. i know that me personally got sick of the moon base one and wanted the old look back about 2 months before the new ember patch. So if i had the choice then i would certainly have change back then. ultimately more space is nice but if it does not raise the item cap then i don't see how that many shops would want it. Since it is ncie to have everything condensed and not scattered everywhere. as a collected and not a floor shop person i will love it more places for me to spend hours making top hat lines. 

(also the moment i can have a tropical beach tavern with a sandy beach palm trees and the roof made into that cool thatch material. have a little drink bar and a pool where i can put my turtles to swim and other sea animals. make corals and things in the water with a random ult++ sea horse swimming by just out of pick up reach so you can never get it. room for trophies tossed in the sand and little beach chairs. all open to the sky and beach with a jungle behind the tavern front where the beach is. that is when i will never change my tavern and at that point i would really argue for a ability to select a tavern)

/ end dream

have a good day

> Atherial

i don't think Nexus meant that as he was ignoring his concern, but just making a point you cannot cater to one person's preference all the time for particular reasons.  It is impossible to do sometimes since some conflict with others.  In this case there could be such a conflict. So do you stop this development to cater to one person?

Changing taverns and going from small to large and back again, is a lot bigger effort than the planned theme selection.  Nexus can correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

The new tavern will have themes in the form of skins basically, like the crystal as an example, but it is still just 1 map.  Having a small and large tavern would require 2 maps and choosing between them becomes much harder than selecting a skin.  So having the option for both taverns may not be as easy as it sounds.

Many have asked for theme selection for a long time and more room so we are trying to provide that in the next update.  I hope people will give it a try because Nexus has done a great job making it look and feel like the original.  If the community is still wanting the old tavern as well we can look to see what can be done.