Sign in to follow this  
bienvenido3

Devstream General Feedback/Recommendations Thread

Howdy folks:

Benny here - replacement devstream host and Extraord-Uh-niare.

Hoping to get your feedback on Devstreams and what you're looking for out of them. Any and all feedback (even mean) is welcome.

Can't guarantee we'll implement what you request, but trust that we'll be reading all this feedback and we'll try out some new things moving forward (maybe even starting with our Lavamancer reveal in a couple weeks).

Some questions to get you thinking if you're not already typing off a list of 20 recommendations:

- What's been your favorite Devstream ever? Why?

- What do Devstreams do that you hate?

- What do Devstreams do that you love?

- What are you hoping for/expecting when you watch us on Twitch?

Try to keep this focused on the Devstream itself, not the game.

Gracias,

Benny

I tend to enjoy all the dev streams, 

But there is mostly a sound issue for me and other viewers (maybe create a smurf twitch account and test equipment live)

I like the interactions and giveaways. 

What i hope for and expect when i watch dev streams is to find out something cool and informative that i didn't know before going into it. Some streams i leave with the same amount of information then i came into it with. More sneak peaks ! :)

What's been your favorite Devstream ever? Why?

- By far the one where you confirmed buffing the old heroes. why? because the game was completely and utterly imbalanced, and it proved you were not just after selling new heroes, but rather you wished to improve the game.

What do Devstreams do that you love? 

- Covering questions fans have, and answering long standing bugs/issues with the game that we want fixed. 

- Announcements regarding new items, maps, balance, skills, spheres, enemies etc .

What do Devstreams do that you hate?

- Not answering enough questions, I mean how long has Black Arrow bug on weapons and Karma Vortex on gloves been ignored for now?!

- The "erm" fiasco, no one cares if you say it, but the awkwardness that ensued did cause me to /facepalm.

What are you hoping for/expecting when you watch us on Twitch?

- Answering a lot of fan questions regarding goals, bugs and balance of the game.

- Announcing goals, bug fixes and balance changes to the game.

- Announcing game mechanic changes, wither it be revamps, item introductions, skill/item/sphere changes

Things I do not care about:

- New Heroes

- Cosmetics

- Giveaways

Yes I am alone on those last three, so feel free to ignore them^^

I'd love to see more special guests from all departments ;) 

I'm going to be brutally honest and this is not to demean anyone or toss up drama.  There are two reasons people watch the streams.  1) giveaways 2) teasers of new content.

With that said, why on earth it is an hour long with hosting and playing maps and intentionally losing is beyond me (yes I know Eric is a solid player and seeing him play like he has zero skill in game hurts my soul).  If it were up to me, I'd strip it down to a solid 15 minute teaser, which in fairness is around the amount of teasers currently spread out through the stream.  Then another 10 minutes with ONE host and a guest who is important to the content being shown off.  Do a proper interview with said person.  5 minutes of community questions answered. DONE.  30 tight minutes and less downtime in the office with a ton of people trying to make this happen.  Do giveaways at the end and there ya have it.

I have not and do not find a good deal of the hosting and losing matches in the background worth my time.  Show us what we are there to see, give us details and teasers afterwards, touch base with the community, give out stuff, see ya in 2 weeks.

What I would like to see is a text transcript of the dev stream. The recaps that you seem to have stopped doing were also nice, but a full transcript would be best.

As a general rule, I hate video as a method for disseminating information. It's difficult/impossible to search, I can read faster than you talk, and it's harder to backup and further process what was just said.

Essentially, what I most dislike about the dev stream is that it's a video.

What I'd like to see instead is an article and/or interview transcript answering player questions and detailing upcoming changes with a few supporting images and/or short (less than a minute) video clips.

@Zkurcrow quote:

But there is mostly a sound issue for me and other viewers (maybe create a smurf twitch account and test equipment live)

The sound issues will hopefully be fixed next time - honestly I'm just a loud dude and I think that's a major part of it. :D

@Zimmermann quote:

- Not answering enough questions, I mean how long has Black Arrow bug on weapons and Karma Vortex on gloves been ignored for now?!

I want to figure out a way to do this that's productive and informational, but also doesn't cause chaos or confusion. Truth is, we're building this plane as we take-off, so sometimes (often) bugs happen - but I get how it might be frustrating to feel like long-standing things are going unanswered. Thanks for the feedback, you giving me a personal challenge to try an figure out. Any other devstreams you know do bug-updates particularly well?

@Dan H quote:

I'd love to see more special guests from all departments ;) 

#SquadGoals

Thanks for the feedback so far, keep it coming!

@roboticaust quote:

I'm going to be brutally honest and this is not to demean anyone or toss up drama.  There are two reasons people watch the streams.  1) giveaways 2) teasers of new content.

With that said, why on earth it is an hour long with hosting and playing maps and intentionally losing is beyond me (yes I know Eric is a solid player and seeing him play like he has zero skill in game hurts my soul).  If it were up to me, I'd strip it down to a solid 15 minute teaser, which in fairness is around the amount of teasers currently spread out through the stream.  Then another 10 minutes with ONE host and a guest who is important to the content being shown off.  Do a proper interview with said person.  5 minutes of community questions answered. DONE.  30 tight minutes and less downtime in the office with a ton of people trying to make this happen.  Do giveaways at the end and there ya have it.

I have not and do not find a good deal of the hosting and losing matches in the background worth my time.  Show us what we are there to see, give us details and teasers afterwards, touch base with the community, give out stuff, see ya in 2 weeks.

These sorts of fundamental, structural changes are something I want to look into - but it'll take time to figure out what works and what doesn't. This feedback helps tho, thanks.

Keep it coming folks.

My fav dev stream was when you guys finally listened to people and got rid of the stupidity you called the hero deck.

What do I hate about the dev stream? well it's annoying to see you guys start the stream with giveaways in the beginnning of the stream, because hash tag spam consumes the chats and people with good questions are  getting ignored. Giveaways should be at the end of the stream and people's questions should be answered during the stream instead.

I watch dev streams to see new content in the works, be it new hero's or new maps and the hope of seeing a challenging enemy before the revamp being implemented in the game. As well as an Aquanos or a Sharken announcement.

I can tell you what I don't watch the stream for. Incompetent playing of your game on lower NM difficultites and saying the balance is fine. Especially when you don't play NM4, because you know you will get steam rolled. It shows people you can't even conquer your own content.

Also we get that you are nervous with all the "uhms" and that's totally fine, it's just how some people are. Why have things thrown at you because of it? that last dev stream was highly unprofessional.

Are you guys running a circus or are we supposed to take what you guys say serious?

@Zimmermann quote:

- By far the one where you confirmed buffing the old heroes. why? because the game was completely and utterly imbalanced, and it proved you were not just after selling new heroes, but rather you wished to improve the game.

@KnowsNoLimits quote:

My fav dev stream was when you guys finally listened to people and got rid of the stupidity you called the hero deck.

Ugh. These aren't your favorite dev streams, these are your favorite changes made to the game.  Your favorite dev stream should not be defined by when they announced your most anticipated change, it should be the one that you enjoyed watching because it was entertaining, funny, or engaging.

@Draco18s quote:
@Zimmermann quote:

@KnowsNoLimits quote:

Ugh. These aren't your favorite dev streams, these are your favorite changes made to the game.  Your favorite dev stream should not be defined by when they announced your most anticipated change, it should be the one that you enjoyed watching because it was entertaining, funny, or engaging.

Lets see. Funny, engaging or entertaining? nope not one dev stream has done that for me. The best stream for that is Isom's and Elandrian's weekly defense. Which is coincedentally bi-weekly.

When I watch the official dev stream I'm there for information about upcoming content, not gimmicks and horrible gameplay.

This is a first someone telling me what I should like. I'm sticking to my first choice of them showing off the calling all hero's update and switching characters on the fly on the dev stream. Sorry if this bothers you.

@Draco18s quote:
@Zimmermann quote:

@KnowsNoLimits quote:

A dev stream in my view is a way for the Developers to communicate whats happening in regard to this game, it is not Britain's Got talent, it is not Big Brother or Coronation Street, it is a Developer stream for the Game Dungeon Defenders II.

What I enjoy in a Developer stream for the game Dungeon Defenders II is discussion, news and information regarding the said game. 

With the above information established, my favorite stream was the stream that confirmed that buffs across the board would be implemented for old heroes, as I was given the best possible news, discussion and information regarding Dungeon Defenders II, the game that is the reason for me watching the stream in the first place.

So I must also express my annoyance at your rather presumptuous post by also exclaiming "Ugh" in your direction, but with the added flamboyance of a slight head shake.

@KnowsNoLimits quote:

As well as an Aquanos or a Sharken announcement.

I was waiting for this comment.

@KnowsNoLimits quote:

The best stream for that is Isom's and Elandrian's weekly defense. 

We still have to re-name that stream.  I have to get home and away from this 0.5 mb/s upload speed of this place that I'm staying, so I can actually play/stream again.

There's been a lot of giveaway feedback and we totally agree.  That's something that iamisom and I are working on improving and may have a solution for.  You'll have to let us know after this next devstream.

@roboticaust quote:

30 tight minutes and less downtime in the office with a ton of people trying to make this happen.  Do giveaways at the end and there ya have it.

This is something I'd like to explore more and we'll talk about it.

@Zimmermann quote:A dev stream in my view is a way for the Developers to communicate whats happening in regard to this game, it is not Britain's Got talent, it is not Big Brother or Coronation Street, it is a Developer stream for the Game Dungeon Defenders II.

What I enjoy in a Developer stream for the game Dungeon Defenders II is discussion, news and information regarding the said game. 

With the above information established, my favorite stream was the stream that confirmed that buffs across the board would be implemented for old heroes, as I was given the best possible news, discussion and information regarding Dungeon Defenders II, the game that is the reason for me watching the stream in the first place.

So I must also express my annoyance at your rather presumptuous post by also exclaiming "Ugh" in your direction, but with the added flamboyance of a slight head shake.

So then what you meat was, "My favorite dev streams are the ones where the devs communicate actual news with us, like when they announced that..."

I will continue to "ugh" until people stop XY Probleming.  It's a great idea to put a bounty on dead snakes...until you figure out that people are farming the snakes.  Likewise, recognize that your reason for liking a particular episode is not due to a specific announcement, but rather the communication it represents or the nature in which it was presented, otherwise you'll get dev logs announcing all kinds of changes without any follow-through. #TowerSkins

@Draco18s quote:
@Zimmermann quote:A dev stream in my view is a way for the Developers to communicate whats happening in regard to this game, it is not Britain's Got talent, it is not Big Brother or Coronation Street, it is a Developer stream for the Game Dungeon Defenders II.

So then what you meat was, "My favorite dev streams are the ones where the devs communicate actual news with us, like when they announced that..."

I will continue to "ugh" until people stop XY Probleming.  It's a great idea to put a bounty on dead snakes...until you figure out that people are farming the snakes.  Likewise, recognize that your reason for liking a particular episode is not due to a specific announcement, but rather the communication it represents or the nature in which it was presented, otherwise you'll get dev logs announcing all kinds of changes without any follow-through. #TowerSkins

No my favorite dev stream was the one I mentioned for the reasons I gave. I made it crystal clear in my previous post, it is not my fault that you cannot decode/interrupter an analytical explanation.

But I must bow out of this thrilling discussion about silly semantics as I do not wish to derail this thread to the point of it being locked. Which is where it will be going with wonderfully constructive comments like yours where you tell people what they are thinking, saying or meaning without a shred of actual forethought.

Hopefully this latest devstream started to answer some of the issues you guys had.

We're nowhere near done yet tho, we're actively trying new things and ditching stuff when it gets old and/or I break it.

Please keep the feedback coming (might start a new thread...)

@bienvenido3 quote:

Hopefully this latest devstream started to answer some of the issues you guys had.

We're nowhere near done yet tho, we're actively trying new things and ditching stuff when it gets old and/or I break it.

Please keep the feedback coming (might start a new thread...)

This was a much better dev stream and you did much better this time with presenting it. So a personal congrats on that one.

However you guys have caused a concern with people. Alot of people in chat were asking what was happening with the strategic revamp and everyone of them were ignored for stupid questions about why is the lavamancer left handed?

I understand the stream was about the Lavamancer's reveal, but they way you guys avoided the questions well, it's not a good sign on the status of the revamp.

The twitter idea to reduce hashtag spam sort of worked, but it would of been nice to know who won on the stream.

Also [[57784,users]] made a good point, you need to do more full size pics. Alot of things were cut off and you really couldn't get a look at them. A simple go into the inventory screen to show case the lavamancer and his alt outfit would of sufficed.

Anyway good job on the Lavamancer himself, he looks amaze balls.

Nice Devstream. Make me want Tuesday to arrive faster now. A few points for you to take as feedback.

• Lavamancer segment was good. Elliot controlling the gameplay and showing off the abilities and defences in time with the conversation was really good. At least I think it said was that it was Elliot.
  • Second half of the dev stream with the general chatting was ok but I think people would question the design choices and things said but not a bad segment. 
  • New overlay and camera / mic quality were much better. Was really good so keep that. 
  • As [[24592,users]] pointed out. Needs more full screen images on the devstream. They really help show off more of the mechanics of upcoming heroes and other changes. Also purely selifish reason but we didn't get much to show on Tinkerers Lab this week since there were no screenshots for us to grab. 
  • The Pokemon Go instinct logo was pretty funny to have on stream so we went full mystic on TTL to compete with you. 
  • Last point. Sending people to twitter for the giveaway was met with a lot of negative feedback in chat and didn't prevent the # spam at all even with us all in chat posting what they needed to do. Perhaps a Gleam giveaway at the start of the stream set to end with the winner being drawn towards the end of the devstream could be better 

Last devstream was fantastic, my favorite to date now.

Loved the second half, though the first half was also great with showing a sneak peek at the new hero.

Loved removing the game play in the second half with just a nice face to "face" chat about the game, game history and the Q&A. Still would like more game mechanics/class mechanics and goals chat as well as more Q&A's. 

The behind the scenes part where you spoke about the art work was great, would love to see things like that happen in a bit more depth in the future.

I dislike how you started to read my question then skipped it. :(

I only watch the 2nd half because the Q&A is what is most important to me. Maybe you could split it into two parts? Week 1) Teasers / game play. Week 2) Q&A thread answers, leaks, etc. 

I do like some humor, but there is just too much goofing off and not enough actual Q and A / info being given out. I'm not saying don't laugh but try to keep it somewhat professional, even for members of Trendy. 

My feedback for the devstreams is to get better microphones. Half the time i have to turn up my volume because its so quiet, then I have to turn the volume way down because something super exciting happens or every dev is talking at once and gets way too noisy. Maybe individual microphones for each person?

Other than that, I think the devstreams are pretty great. I like how the first half is showing off new / upcoming content, and the second half is pretty solid Q&A. I just wish more questions could be answered, but that's more of a restriction from the 30-minute allotment given to the segment.

I do like Chedeuine's suggestion, having every other devstream be a Q&A, with the other half being the new / upcoming gameplay and related discussion.

Some more dev stream feedback:

The stream overlay is so...useless in some respects.  Why are there Facebook and Twitter....icons in the lower left? They aren't buttons and they convey no actual information, so why are they there?

I also don't like the ticker tape thing along the bottom, but at least it has some purpose.

I'm a big fan of blunt honesty lol. Even if it comes off a bit ***y occasionally, candid discussions about plans and intentions to deal with community hot topics is what I hope to learn from devstreams, along with the new content previews and such.

It's much preferred over "we have interesting things planned so stay tuned."