Playercount is getting lower

@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:

It's not just free to play, and I did not mean to target that comment at Trendy, I think it applies to every business that creates software. The company I work from sells a product with ridiculously expensive subscription fees and we suffer from the same problem. 

- Oh I know, no worries there mate!

- I was just sharing my experiences with games that I've played in the past (I was your typical broke college kid for a while, and so I've played my fair share of F2P Steam games...), because your other comment seemed like it was accurately describing the more-disappointing entries from the list of F2P titles that I've played -- all content updates with hardly any improvement to existing content (and I, like yourself, am not specifically referring to TE with that comment).

- Even you weren't referring to Free-To-Play games with your comment, I'm hoping that you can see where I was coming from in expressing that your comment DID make sense in the context of F2P video games =P

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Fozzie quote:

iamisom

Top two bugs for me are lag when more than one player places towers and their range overlaps, and the skill spheres.

The build bug which causes a lot of lag is the biggest by a factor of 10.

I've seen some reports on that, but no specifics. Is that any two towers, or is it only for certain towers? Also, if I could get a video of that, it would help us out tremendously.

@AVENUE quote:

iamisom

Any news on special pets returning? I've seen so many posts asking for them, yet no response.

It's something we're interested in. We've talked about possibly putting them up in an NPC shop for Defender Medals, but nothing concrete at the moment. 

Another issue which might frustrate alot players who want to play on their own is the change to the Ipwr.

I got asked quit alot of time how it is possible to advance from NM3 to NM4, since the last change where you "adjusted" the Ipwr requirement to start a map. The reason seems to be, the Ipwer requirement from ALL NM4 modes (defense, inc, onsl) is now 700, which leads to that new player who want to advance from NM3 to NM4 have the following problem: You can not optain enough IPWR from NM3 to Open a NM4 map =).

You need to adjust the NM4 Defense levels to their respective IPWR. So like Defense Gates should be around 600-650 or so. Or else you could say this issue is actually a blocker for alot of players.

The only work around currently for such players is to actually for a party and leech from someone (explicit mentioning this in tavern) or trying to befriend a NM4 player to be able to join him or go with him.

It would be nice if you could adress this issue to the team so it can be adjusted that all players can actually progress from NM3 to NM4 even without leeching or befriending just for the cause of joining a NM4 game.

@iamisom quote:

@dreamanime quote:

Another issue which might frustrate alot players who want to play on their own is the change to the Ipwr.

I got asked quit alot of time how it is possible to advance from NM3 to NM4, since the last change where you "adjusted" the Ipwr requirement to start a map. The reason seems to be, the Ipwer requirement from ALL NM4 modes (defense, inc, onsl) is now 700, which leads to that new player who want to advance from NM3 to NM4 have the following problem: You can not optain enough IPWR from NM3 to Open a NM4 map =).

You need to adjust the NM4 Defense levels to their respective IPWR. So like Defense Gates should be around 600-650 or so. Or else you could say this issue is actually a blocker for alot of players.

The only work around currently for such players is to actually for a party and leech from someone (explicit mentioning this in tavern) or trying to befriend a NM4 player to be able to join him or go with him.

It would be nice if you could adress this issue to the team so it can be adjusted that all players can actually progress from NM3 to NM4 even without leeching or befriending just for the cause of joining a NM4 game.

@iamisom quote:

It's not super-obvious, but you can create a NM4 game at any time with any iPWR.  You just have to edit the Min iPWR box in the create-game menu.  You can even set it to 0, if you want.  You definitely don't require iPWR 700 to complete NM4 maps though.

@iamisom quote:

@Fozzie quote:

iamisom

Top two bugs for me are lag when more than one player places towers and their range overlaps, and the skill spheres.

I've seen some reports on that, but no specifics. Is that any two towers, or is it only for certain towers? Also, if I could get a video of that, it would help us out tremendously.

@AVENUE quote:

iamisom

Any news on special pets returning? I've seen so many posts asking for them, yet no response.

It's something we're interested in. We've talked about possibly putting them up in an NPC shop for Defender Medals, but nothing concrete at the moment. 

Thanks for answering!!!!  Npc shop would be a great idea. Good job on the new maps & heroes, keep up the good work!

@iamisom quote:

@Fozzie quote:

iamisom

@AVENUE quote:

iamisom

they do like its hard.

it is not or out them in a shop for  7500 or 10k madals or make event whits can be activate (not to easy one like kill 100 ogers or so or use a type trap onli or whatever 

@stretchyalien quote:

It's not super-obvious, but you can create a NM4 game at any time with any iPWR.  You just have to edit the Min iPWR box in the create-game menu.  You can even set it to 0, if you want.  You definitely don't require iPWR 700 to complete NM4 maps though.

Totaly forgot about it and i did it quit alot already, but then it still confuses quit alot new players. And this might lead to players leaving the game or getting frustrated. I would rather have adjusted Ipwr to the matching map ipwr (gear wise), then people leaving, getting frustrated or explaining this to them every time =).

@iamisom quote:

@Fozzie quote:

iamisom

Is this for real? Lag happens practically every game (Power Surge) regardless if towers of different players overlap. Just play the game and you will see the lag.

I find the lag bugs to happen almost whenever multiple builders place towers. Ballistae only builds on Power Surge, someone putting down SAs while another person does the other towers, etc etc. Certain special abilities that act like towers (apprentice halberds, the GW booknado, etc) can do it too.

So basically if I am playing I either build it all or don't build anything, and it almost always is ok unless someone spams GW spells or summons those halberds. Seems to avoid the problem, most of the time.

And honestly - multiple builders are bad anyway in case of disconnects. If someone DCs or loses their internet access, all their towers lose all their sphere/passive/etc bonuses, and basically that is game over if that happens midwave. Multiple builders means multiple chances of this happening, so rather keep to just one person at a time.

I've been holding off jumping in here, but I've been following the thread. I know Gobu's post on "the reason is whatever you want it to be", and that is true to an extent. But given that there games out there that have had way more success with a smaller dev team leaves me thinking how the game could be improved.

From a content consumption perspective, what are we getting these days? A new hero that costs money or medals, and an incursion map. Oh and ipwr 750 gear. Here is where the disconnect is:

• New heroes aren't really going to encourage players to come back. I will say they are excellent for marketing and PR. If a player leaves, chances are they aren't going to be able to afford the medals to pick up the new hero. And $15 for a hero is a bit out of most people's preferred price range, especially when there are overwhelmingly positive rated Steam games that sell for less than that. New heroes help Trendy's gem spend and a limited amount of retention for those who buy w/ medals, and that's about it. That seems like a lot of effort for those results.
  • Incursion maps give a few hours of gameplay tops. Once you figure out a build, it kind of loses its excitement. This is nothing new though; this has been an inherent flaw of incursions since day 1. You can build the exact same way every time and win every time. Once again, that's a lot of effort for only a couple hours of gameplay.
  • Locked in at level 50 for a long time now. ipwr 750 gear is just digging the gear progression hole deeper and deeper. We're not getting a level cap raise anytime in the near future, not with our current ipwr curve. And level cap raises are an excellent way to help further progression - because now there's XP to start being relevant again.

Speaking strictly from a game-quality point of view (not monetary, I have no insight as to the revenue the game is currently making), I think the following would drastically increase the playerbase:

• Make all future heroes free. With the new and unique playstyles each recent hero has to offer, it would allow a lot of players to dive right in and test them out.
  • Instead of making incursions map-specific, introduce incursion elements that can be applied to all maps. Every time we'd get a new incursion element, we would be able to try it on all maps. We could then mix and match incursion elements to attempt to maximize our rewards.
  • Get the ipwr gear revamp over with. Players want a level cap increase at regular intervals, even if it's something small like +5 every few months. The fact that gear progression has fallen this far out of whack is very alarming, and reminiscent of DDE's Splendid gear.

I'm worried that 6 months down the road we're still going to be stuck with level 50 heroes and ipwr 850 gear. Then a year from now we'll still have level 50 heroes with ipwr 900 gear. We will have thirty different incursions, and all but three of them will be completely pointless to play. I am worried because that's exactly the direction we've been following for a while now.

@gigazelle quote:

I've been holding off jumping in here, but I've been following the thread. I know Gobu's post on "the reason is whatever you want it to be", and that is true to an extent. But given that there games out there that have had way more success with a smaller dev team leaves me thinking how the game could be improved.

From a content consumption perspective, what are we getting these days? A new hero that costs money or medals, and an incursion map. Oh and ipwr 750 gear. Here is where the disconnect is:

• New heroes aren't really going to encourage players to come back. I will say they are excellent for marketing and PR. If a player leaves, chances are they aren't going to be able to afford the medals to pick up the new hero. And $15 for a hero is a bit out of most people's preferred price range, especially when there are overwhelmingly positive rated Steam games that sell for less than that. New heroes help Trendy's gem spend and a limited amount of retention for those who buy w/ medals, and that's about it. That seems like a lot of effort for those results.
  • Incursion maps give a few hours of gameplay tops. Once you figure out a build, it kind of loses its excitement. This is nothing new though; this has been an inherent flaw of incursions since day 1. You can build the exact same way every time and win every time. Once again, that's a lot of effort for only a couple hours of gameplay.
  • Locked in at level 50 for a long time now. ipwr 750 gear is just digging the gear progression hole deeper and deeper. We're not getting a level cap raise anytime in the near future, not with our current ipwr curve. And level cap raises are an excellent way to help further progression - because now there's XP to start being relevant again.

Speaking strictly from a game-quality point of view (not monetary, I have no insight as to the revenue the game is currently making), I think the following would drastically increase the playerbase:

• Make all future heroes free. With the new and unique playstyles each recent hero has to offer, it would allow a lot of players to dive right in and test them out.
  • Instead of making incursions map-specific, introduce incursion elements that can be applied to all maps. Every time we'd get a new incursion element, we would be able to try it on all maps. We could then mix and match incursion elements to attempt to maximize our rewards.
  • Get the ipwr gear revamp over with. Players want a level cap increase at regular intervals, even if it's something small like +5 every few months. The fact that gear progression has fallen this far out of whack is very alarming, and reminiscent of DDE's Splendid gear.

I'm worried that 6 months down the road we're still going to be stuck with level 50 heroes and ipwr 850 gear. Then a year from now we'll still have level 50 heroes with ipwr 900 gear. We will have thirty different incursions, and all but three of them will be completely pointless to play. I am worried because that's exactly the direction we've been following for a while now.

Want to keep my thoughts small. Buying a hero is fine, either with medals or money. The system is totally fair because investing time or money is a good balance in a game without PvP elements.

You can literally use the same build on nearly every map. PDTs, Nodes, Walls, Serenity. -> Boring from time to time. If it's going to stay this way, a safe and load options for builds would be awesome Jester_Forum_icon2.png

Compared to earlier stages of the game or compared to even DD1, they could improve the elements by having item drops bond to the difficulty rather then the maps while the amount of items beeing droped depend on the amount of waves and time a maps needs - I'm sure they can or can have information on percentage time played on a map. It would boost endgame grinding because you can choose from diffrent maps while no map would really shine as a meta because the rewards are comparable. Some want fast maps, some want long afk runs. Both possible then.

As for iPWR upgrades, item changes or tower tweaks, It would be awesome to see at least one of them bond to level increases because this way you can observe what players feel like while progressing and have a short time to use this to tweak things before the majority hits the new endgame content.

In the end, I can't say I never enjoyed DD2 because it's just a game for me and in todays gaming world, where PvP or competition is everything I feel like I can finally enjoy just playing as what games were made for.

@gigazelle quote:

Referring to the XP-Cap Issue (which I think is closely tied to the gear-ceiling Issue):
 ----> Certainly one of the more important matters that I'm surprised that more people aren't speaking on. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people will disagree with you on increasing the level cap (though I don't think they should be disagreeing, hear me out... ;P), primarily because the leveling up process in DDII...
(a.) doesn't make your characters feel any stronger
(b.) feels like a chore, rather than a fun progression
(c.) is something players do as quick as possible to get it over with

With DD2's current leveling system in place, I think I would side with those who don't want the level cap increased, BUT my primary reasoning behind saying so is that your characters absolutely have to be at the level 50 cap in order to be at all useful. That is a major problem in my opinion. So we're currently stuck in a situation where too many players are maxed out in level / ipwr with hardly any room for improvement, but where the leveling system is so dry that only a relatively small minority of players want the cap to be increased (And if any of us can honestly convince ourselves that we feel a significant feeling of reward when we get an ipwr 750 piece that increases our stats by 10, then I think we're simply grasping at some kind of redeeming quality relating to DD2's end-game progression at that point -- ["what end-game progression", I might ask...]...).

Looking to DD1 for a Solution to this Problem:
 ----> I know I keep referring to DD1 as if it were DD's 'glory days', so to speak (and I know you've already heard most of my thoughts on the topic gigazelle ... sorry... ;P), but in my opinion, DD1's XP-Progression & Gear-Progression, as they related to progressing on end-game content was much much better designed, primarily in the sense that you didn't NEED the highest tier of items in order to run end-game content (where the ability to wear each improving item tier increased simultaneously with hero level in DD1), implying that your characters didn't NEED to be at the level-100 cap in order to be useful on end-game -- in fact, you could run literally everything on end-game with pretty decent Mythical sets of gear, which was unlocked at level 74, which you could reach with 1 or 2 campaign runs of the Tavern Defense map, if you decided to do so.

What did this Progression Design do for DD1?
 ---->
It tied XP-Progression together with Gear-Progression, in the sense that leveling up to unlock the ability to wear the next item quality tier was both exciting and very worthwhile, as it actually felt like your characters became significantly more powerful as you leveled them up / geared them up on the next item tier!
 ---->
Again, leveling up your characters to the maximum level-cap wasn't required in order for that character to be useful on end-game, which meant that starting a new hero from scratch didn't feel painful at all, like it does in DD2. You could actually USE that hero for something on end-game content WHILE leveling them up at the same time, which added to the experience of making them more powerful via leveling up / gearing up over time. I can only speak for myself, but I haven't played DD2 since unlocking the Summoner w/ Defender Medals sometime last week -- primarily because I know that I'll have a bunch of "Hard" runs in my future before I can use that hero for anything... (and yes, I know you can spam Harb runs on Hard and level your hero up somewhat quickly, but for (1.) not every player can do that ; and (2.) it's still painful to do if you can...).

The Bottom Line for DD2:
 ---->
In relation to the topic of this thread, I believe one of the leading factors behind DD2's inability to retain end-game players (and the reason I haven't played in a week and a half...) is that, for a lot of players, there is no carrot-on-a-stick to keep us playing once we've reached DD2's end-game content -- I mean, I'm not even close to completing full sets of ipwr-750 gear for my characters, but I have absolutely no desire to do so, because...
(a.) running the same incursions over and over again is repetitive (only a specific # of maps on a specific game mode can drop ipwr-750 gear...), unreliable (poorly-statted RNG rolls have to exist which is fine, but this problem is compounded by bad drop rates as well...), and unrewarding (getting an ipwr-750 piece is exciting ONLY until you realize you just spent 2-3 hours for a handful more stats...).
(b.) It is very possible to complete maps with the decent ipwr-700 sets that I have.

----> And I'm not saying that end-game content shouldn't be able to be beaten with ipwr-700 gear, because the game's difficulty is purely artificial as is, and that would just wall even more players behind NM3 content (which was a problem back in the pre-hero-boost dark ages where NM4 was near-impossible without abusing the overpowered defenses of the purchaseable heroes...). Contrary to popular belief: difficulty ≠ fun (not automatically, at least...) --- having a difficulty curve that is tied to a game's progression system, that can be overcome with leveling up / gearing up your characters, all-the-while having these characters that you're leveling up / gearing up be useful for something BEFORE they're maxed out in level IS fun (all IMO, at least...).

What We Could Use:
 ----> Damn, I mean, I don't want to so quickly be labeled as "one of those DD2 players who constantly complains that DD2 should be more like DD1", but I really do think DD2 could benefit immensely from borrowing heavily from DD1's progression system (no reason to have DD2 different from DD1 simply for the sake of being different, if the game is worse off as a result...), by working toward the following changes (feel free to agree / disagree with any / all of them):

Closing Notes:
I remember reading a Dev post somewhere detailing various future plans for DD2 that said TE wanted to implement a campaign system that will provide enough XP to max out a hero's level once they've re-stepped through the campaign maps, which I think is a good idea in theory, but one that I think will also eventually get old when trying to create multiple new heroes, and that still doesn't address the issue of a hero not being useful for anything until they reach level 50. Does anyone know more details about that suggested feature? Did a Dev touch on it during the last Devstream, and I missed it?

- I promise that I'm not trying to bump this thread simply to glorify my own or gigazelle 's post from earlier, but I'm very surprised that this thread isn't getting more attention.

- Are players not seeing / reading it?

- Do players not think that the topics being discussed are that important?

- Have people read through issues discussed, but disagree with points made, and therefore don't feel like responding?

- Is the length of the posts themselves turning people away from responding because they don't feel like they have enough time? (sorry, I tend to write 'books' with my posts, but I can't help it...)

All of that being said, hopefully a simple thread bump won't hurt anyone... (Conversation and feedback is always welcome & appreciated =D)

@g_cracka88 quote:

- I promise that I'm not trying to bump this thread simply to glorify my own or gigazelle 's post from earlier, but I'm very surprised that this thread isn't getting more attention.

- Have people read through issues discussed, but disagree with points made, and therefore don't feel like responding?

- Is the length of the posts themselves turning people away from responding because they don't feel like they have enough time? (sorry, I tend to write 'books' with my posts, but I can't help it...)

All of that being said, hopefully a simple thread bump won't hurt anyone... (Conversation and feedback is always welcome & appreciated =D)

I personally semi-gave up. Trendy will do what trendy wants to do. They will only follow minor feedback like silly influence votes between 2 things or if something causes a mass exodus. This game wont be as good as DD1 for a very very long time, if ever.

@Pegazul quote:

@g_cracka88 quote:

I personally semi-gave up. Trendy will do what trendy wants to do. They will only follow minor feedback like silly influence votes between 2 things or if something causes a mass exodus. This game wont be as good as DD1 for a very very long time, if ever.

- Word, I honestly hold no disdain toward Trendy's efforts to improve DD2, because I truly feel that they're trying as hard as they can to make things better, in the ways they think will be most effective. Perhaps I'm just being bitter / selfish that the game isn't going in the direction that I want it to go in, or simply impatient that new content updates are being pushed much much faster than bug fix patches or patches that improve [what in my opinion are] foundationally-flawed game mechanics (touched upon in the bulleted list of links in previous post). Maybe I should have heeded the "Early Access" label before shelling out $25 on a package that unlocked more bag storage (A purchase that felt like it was required for the game to be playable given how quickly inventory space fills up, and how inventory management was exponentially more difficult with less storage to begin with...).

- I think the most frustrating thing is that I don't think DD2 is a bad game (so I can't use that excuse) -- I just feel like so many areas of the game had the potential to be much better if Trendy just built on the foundation already laid by DD1 (past-tense because I unfortunately think it's too late to change said foundation, this far into DD2's development). Regardless of what marketing might tell you, Dungeon Defenders 2 is not a sequel to the original title -- it's a completely different entity, and one that I would argue is inferior in most areas.

----> Sorry for the rant... Some might follow my post with the question: "Why don't you just play Dungeon Defenders 1, then?" -- to which, I respond that I very much intend to as soon as I'm able to finish building my desktop upgrade! (DD1 does not run over single-digit FPS on my 5-year old laptop unfortunately =\ )

I just started getting back into playing DD1 - I've been making stuff for it for so long that I forgot just how enjoyable it is to play. Over the last few days I've been joining a group of veterans who casually enjoy the game farming late-game maps and shooting the breeze while we play. DD2 just doesn't offer that kind of atmosphere.

Edit: I will give Trendy this much - making a free-to-play game is exponentially more difficult than a retail game. There are so many factors involved to make a game that doesn't cost any money legitimately successful. And while I appreciate the efforts that have been taken in making DD2 thus far, it just doesn't feel right.

[[31834,users]] I think your analysis of Hero development is spot on and something I never thought about. I have no problem shelling out $15 for a new hero but I never thought about how ineffective it is to get retired players back into the game. Ironically, people who do regularly play the game won't even need to pay $$ for it because they'd likely have enough medals.

Personally I'd like to see hero development halt or slow for the time being and the focus be put on Onslaught and revamping the item system. Removing passives, placing the ipwr ceiling extremely higher but the higher it goes the rarer the drop chance is etc. All aspects from DD1.

Agree with all the posts, and yes, who ever is in charge of whats going on needs to take a step back and really think about what the goal was for DD1(or get with one of the few left that was on that team) and implement it. This revamp will be the turning point of this game, and if it continues in this hack and slash,dota,diablo BS methodical way, you can start typing a "Player count is no more" thread.  And if the revamp is only incorporating "enemies" and "enemy mechanics." Then were in trouble. I Posted it recently and will continue to play DD2, i love the franchise and the game. But were getting further and further away from what made this game so much fun in the first place. 

feelsbadman 

@Charr Legion quote:

Gigazelle I think your analysis of Hero development is spot on and something I never thought about. I have no problem shelling out $15 for a new hero but I never thought about how ineffective it is to get retired players back into the game. Ironically, people who do regularly play the game won't even need to pay $$ for it because they'd likely have enough medals.

I can definitely vouch for retired players being turned off by the $15 or multi-week grind price tag on characters. I last played DD2 in December. When they started announcing new characters, I thought I might jump back in to check them out. After seeing the price tag, I quickly went back to other games.

$15 can go quite a ways when looking at indie games and Steam sales, so I'm hesitant to spend that on a single character. And a boring grind just to check out a character in a (currently) flawed game is a bit much to ask of anyone.

@Charr Legion quote:

Personally I'd like to see hero development halt or slow for the time being and the focus be put on Onslaught and revamping the item system. Removing passives, placing the ipwr ceiling extremely higher but the higher it goes the rarer the drop chance is etc. All aspects from DD1. 

And I can't agree more with this. I might get on to check out the strategic revamp whenever it comes out, but the game's basic functionality needs a lot of work before I even consider really getting back into the game or recommending it to anyone else.

@Pegazul quote:

@g_cracka88 quote:

This. My expectations for this game is now low. Trendy thought they could reinvent the wheel without a plan and no real goals. After so many great contributions from players like Gigazelle this game could have been great by now. Are they too proud to use good ideas that are not their own?

And I find it insulting that DD2 is regularly introduced to new game breaking bugs and Trendy makes it really clear they do not play the game at all.

This thread has some really good suggestions, especially from gigazelle and g_cracka88! Trendy please read it! I'm not sure how long it will be until the strategic revamp will be going live, but is it possible to just adjust the damage numbers on some towers as a band aid?I don' t know a whole lot about programming, but it seems to me it's just changing some numbers on the weaker towers, the same way you did with earthshatter and ballista?