Sign in to follow this  
Skalli

Will there be a final release?

Hey community,

hey Trendy. This post is especially devoted to you.

This is not really to be answered by the community itself, because most of us aren't playing this since day 1.  And many tend to be very subjective when it comes about criticism of their beloved games.

When I finally had the time today to go through the patch notes after a few weeks, I was wondering why we are still in the Early Access phase.

Trendy, please be honest about this. I'm here since DD1 release and DD2 pre-alpha (where we even had no items in the game).

Are you still focusing on the free-to-play release or just having a longer Early Access timeframe which gives you a higher income?

This would be understandable, development needs to be funded. But I am looking at all those features and improvements you brought into the game and - here we are, still in Early Access. There are so many games out there on Steam, that are still in "Early Access" after such a long time and playerbase is getting smaller and smaller (e.g. The Forest, could've been such a great game).

I just want to point out that I actually can't follow you for years with a game which isn't even released yet. I was waiting for over two years now that you'd remove the auto-movement when attacking with a squire, now we finally got it.

Those small features and improvements the community made, had so much importance to us - the playerbase in DD1. Now I'm here every few weeks reading about a new boss or a new map where I can't afford the time to "try" (=Early Access) all those things because we are still not in the final release.

And here is the next point, there MUST be another wipe when you are finally going to release the game or you will exclude all those new players that COULD try the game when it's finally released as a free-to-play title.

I'm getting older (24 :P) and still like to play games, but time's getting shorter so I have to weigh what I want do with my spare time. I somehow  got into the "casual gamers" category. ;)

And right now, this time does not go into DD2, I'm honest with you. For me, it seems like you guys at Trendy want to make your game even greater (it is great, no doubt) and that's cool, but please, don't lose your focus. I always like new content, don't get me wrong. But right now, I don't think it's time for more content (i.e. more end-game maps). More game-modes or heroes and a great story should be the main focus.

I hope I am not the only one thinking that way. If I am the only one thinking that way, it might be time to move on. But I still think that both, DD1 and DD2, are the best games out there combining RPG, strategy and tower defense.

Have a nice day.

Skalli

//edit: typo

//edi2: grammar

"getting older (24)"

made me cry on the inside a little :(

Playing a game and enjoying it is =/= to a final release of a game.

Just play DD2 for the fun interesting game it is, regardless of development stage. 

DD2 aims to be a F2P product with constant updates, so I'd say that if all goes well there will not be a "final product" because the game will keep getting new content that generate revenue, so Trendy can keep releasing more content, etc.

No game lasts forever, so eventually there will come a time that releasing more content isn't sustainable, and DD2 will end. Hopefully that is very far into the future, and by that time Trendy will already have launched some other products :)

A good example of a game that is successful and still in beta is Warframe. Constant patches, constant new content, constant core feature reworks, and still tagged as a beta product. TBH, the tag just means "we'll be changing and adjusting features when we feel the need to".

On the other side, there are plenty F2P products that have gone from Beta to Release, while still getting xpacks, patches, and changes... Path of Exile comes to mind.

Bottomline, the Beta tag doesn't matter much, it is just a way to say that things aren't set in stone, but with F2P games it rarely is.

DD2 is already free to play, unless you're referring to the PS4 version.   Regardless of that, removing the "Early Access"  tag from the game won't be what magically increase the playerbase and won't change the game overnight.  Core game play hasn't been finalized which is why it's still an early access title. 

I think there is a good point here though, unless there are some real core things changed why do we still see alpha labels everywhere - even though they had an official Beta launch/push to put on big(ger) boy Beta pants (that actually broke a few things and made a mess of equipment that wasn't supposed to be touched but I digress).

Point being, will this see a full product release before it reaches its game lifetime?  ;-)

Re-occurring wipes and big re-balances does allow one a path to never have to provide the elusive 'so now what' end game when people have hit the end game, keep delivering heroes and content (which is fun) without having to roll out NM5+ or raids or pvp etc etc ..

To some degree it has mostly been working, I like the new heroes coming, etc etc.  I think they need to figure out a model of how they can continue to add width/depth (maps/modes/heroes/pets/etc) to then have a point when you've reached the end, eg. generally having to add to that length at least occasionally.  DD1 had new enemy types and survival mode, some elusive pets.. and new toons always added a bit of fun/turned some things on their head.  Our current endless DD2 mode is lacking in rewards (and subject of another thread), could certainly be improved.  

@Vagnar quote:

Failing to see why a full wipe would help anyone at this point.

eew no please no /shudder

frankly I'd just as soon pass on final release if that has to be part of it ;-b

Trendy already stated no more wipes, especially full wipes.   Gear may be rerolled, but that's about the extent of it. 

@Juicebags quote:

@Zkurcrow quote:

"getting older (24)"

made me cry on the inside a little :(

Damn kids! Get off my lawn :P

He's a few years older than my son, lol.... *reaches for walker*