Sign in to follow this  
HolyIndra

Battle of DPS! Huntress vs. Gunwitch

So I recently started playing DD2 again since I like Tower Defense games which I can solo, but I find myself having a hard time with which one of these 2 characters is the best for overall dps. I stopped using my tower squire since his towers suck now and switched over to the AL archers because there frikin op. Oh and also using Monk for those nice boost and lightning auras. Squire is mainly for blockades. Don't really touch Apprentice since AL is stupidly good for tower damage aka Archers. But, what do people think between these divas for best dps all around.

I feel like she'll ultimately be the most diverse ranged DPS, but her actual damage output will likely stay on par with other heroes so it won't invalidate them as options.

I also prefer Gunwitch to Huntress. She has more cc and mobility. And Huntress doesn't really have any advantage in the dps corner.

Other than Bling Bow. Which allows you to slow mobs by an astounding amount, perform the ignite combo, and apply a powerful DOT to enemies in a large area for up to 8 seconds. Though, if you use a Double Tap I Gunbroom Gunwitch can clear lanes quickly and get to the other lanes faster than the huntress could rotate.

Though, the general consensus seems to be that most people dislike the Bling Bow. Mostly due to it's single target "lacking" as it doesn't currently take advantage of the Charged Primary Sphere.

I love my Gunwitch more than my DPS Huntress right now. I put down the full 12000 Medals and added 3000 medals to my account to buy the Black Magic Ops skin. I also called her Agent Tanya since all her abilities had some equivalent in the Command and Conquer series. Ranging from standard attacks (Tanya's dual pistols = Two at Twice) to special skills (Broom Vault is like Zone Trooper Jetpacks or Sickle Leap power).

The saving grace of my Huntress is the Bling o Midas and the Poison Tips makes handling enemies much more easier and the Oil Flask helps with my Fire strategy. But my only Huntress is used for Blaze Balloons at the moment. All I have to do to swap is mod the SAS, swap the gear and then make a 2nd Flamethrower in battle and I am done,

Besides, Gunwitch + Dragolich + Two at Twice the Price = Dead bosses. It only takes about 3 seconds for her to shred a healthy NM4 Ogre on Challenge with headshots alone. I mostly Sweep, Book and Ice shot foes while I fire.

Don't forget Monk DPS taking the cool down off Chi Blast and Pole Smash makes the monk and absolute legend.

With the new staff to instantly get out of trouble and the extra speed he is as good as if not better than GW and Huntress.

If you are asking sheerly on the basis of DPS, I vote huntress handsdown. Piercing shot + draco can 1 shot kill any lane in nm4. And I mean the ENTIRE lane. If you don't have draco, you only have to throw in an oil flask or stickynades for a bit of extra oomf. A recent patch made the bling-o-midus bow considerably better at single target DPS, and with her skills being great you are no longer obligated to use her crit-o-midus build. Although its still clunky as ever...

But if you WANT to buy the gunwitch, I think you'll find her worth playing. She is one of the weaker heros when it comes to damage output... And is really pigeonholed into building crit or nothing... But she has great mobility, enough CC to make the bling-o-midus slow laughable, and is just amazingly fun.

@ChrisH36 quote:

I love my Gunwitch more than my DPS Huntress right now. I put down the full 12000 Medals and added 3000 medals to my account to buy the Black Magic Ops skin. I also called her Agent Tanya since all her abilities had some equivalent in the Command and Conquer series. Ranging from standard attacks (Tanya's dual pistols = Two at Twice) to special skills (Broom Vault is like Zone Trooper Jetpacks or Sickle Leap power).

The saving grace of my Huntress is the Bling o Midas and the Poison Tips makes handling enemies much more easier and the Oil Flask helps with my Fire strategy. But my only Huntress is used for Blaze Balloons at the moment. All I have to do to swap is mod the SAS, swap the gear and then make a 2nd Flamethrower in battle and I am done,

Besides, Gunwitch + Dragolich + Two at Twice the Price = Dead bosses. It only takes about 3 seconds for her to shred a healthy NM4 Ogre on Challenge with headshots alone. I mostly Sweep, Book and Ice shot foes while I fire.

Can you actually buy character costumes with defender medals? 

@Shadow 1924 quote:

@ChrisH36 quote:

No. I put down 12000 medals for the Hero and then put down Gems for the skin. I didn't want to put Gems down for both because I had maximum medals for sometime and I don't like having to pay for something that I can earn for free. That was a really bad typo. I should have said 3000 Gems.

@Fozzie quote:

Don't forget Monk DPS taking the cool down off Chi Blast and Pole Smash makes the monk and absolute legend.

With the new staff to instantly get out of trouble and the extra speed he is as good as if not better than GW and Huntress.

I avoided bringing up anyone other than the Huntress or Gunwitch, since they specifically asked about between those two.

@ChrisH36 quote:

@Shadow 1924 quote:

@ChrisH36 quote:

added 3000 medals to my account to buy the Black Magic Ops skin.

No. I put down 12000 medals for the Hero and then put down Gems for the skin. I didn't want to put Gems down for both because I had maximum medals for sometime and I don't like having to pay for something that I can earn for free.

I think they asked since you, presumably, typo'd in  your first post.

The main problem is that Gunwitch doesn't bring anything to the table, outside of CC which tbh, is useless if you know how to build and her movement speed. EV2 is a far better DPS choice for single target and Huntress beats the living ogre out of Gunwitch in AoE dps, on top of not placing herself at risk when dealing AoE damage. The shotgun mechanic should just be completely removed from Gunwitch. Either scrap the entire ability or change the range to infinite and make the spread of the cone much, much tighter.

Gunwitch is a niché hero atm. Liked by many(Myself included...), but she simply doesn't excel at anything outside of movement. Gunwitch needs a buff in the DPS department and simply changing her ability scaling from AP to HP could do the trick, if the buff was to be just blunt power with the current mechanics.

@Shimekiri quote:

Gunwitch is a niché hero atm. Liked by many(Myself included...), but she simply doesn't excel at anything outside of movement. Gunwitch needs a buff in the DPS department and simply changing her ability scaling from AP to HP could do the trick, if the buff was to be just blunt power with the current mechanics.

Most of her abilities not only have a hero damage scaling, but in fact scale significantly harder with hero damage than they do with AP. Which is why AP is not really a viable build on her atm.

@xArcAngel quote:
@Shimekiri quote:

Most of her abilities not only have a hero damage scaling, but in fact scale significantly harder with hero damage than they do with AP. Which is why AP is not really a viable build on her atm.

Yeah, which not only makes any Ability Power piece worthless, but I also disagree with it on a fundamental level. I mean, to start off with we have a stat called "Ability Power." You'd think it'd be the primary driving force behind our abilities.

With the dual scaling, the amount of damage Ability Power would have to bring to the table would have to be ridiculous to compete with Hero Damage. It's not only competing with the Hero Damage for higher damage in the abilities, but Hero Damage also scales your primary/secondary attacks. Not to even bring in the fact that you'd want Critical Damage as well. So, even if it scaled way harder than Hero Damage, if Hero Damage gave any significant damage with abilities it'd be preferable. It's got scaling on everything then. And Criticals would generally make up for the difference anyway.

yep hero damage should not scale ability damage unless it CLEARLY states that it does in the tooltip (a department in which this game is severely lacking)

league of legends does a good job of handling abilities that scale with multiple major stats.  like if you build with AD your shot will hit harder, but if you build with AP you'll get better utility or AoE out of it.  they clearly denote what scaling each ability is using with colored tooltip text and if you care to go look it up on the wiki each ability's ratios are available if you want to do theorycrafting

@xArcAngel quote:

why do people say this? it's an outright lie. pretty much every skill she has scales better with AP than HD - some over 5 times as well. the only one they actually tie on is broomnado, and there are exactly 0 skills that scale better with HD.

the HD scaling is actually mostly comparable to HCD scaling. it's existence is important to make ranger's gear viable for her and not just a crappy version of wizard's.

source: i actually went to the effort to test them all.

@Mitzruti quote:

why do people say this? it's an outright lie. pretty much every skill she has scales better with AP than HD - some over 5 times as well. the only one they actually tie on is broomnado, and there are exactly 0 skills that scale better with HD.

the HD scaling is actually mostly comparable to HCD scaling. it's existence is important to make ranger's gear viable for her and not just a crappy version of wizard's.

I've done plenty of testing myself. Enough that this is the drastically short version...

First ability - Little to no hero damage scaling. Not intended as a major damage source. Negligible regardless. Still gains about as much damage from having crit as it does from AP.

Second ability - Hero damage scaling will acount for about 70% of this abilities damage when you build full AP. Actualy gains more damage from crits than AP.

Third Ability - Same as first ability. Never payed attention to crits on this one, but likely the same.

Fourth Ability - Hero Damage scaling will acount for about 60% of this abilities damage. Even with AP, its barely worth weaving in, and usualy is not worth its energy cost since you should spend it on her better CC spells. A crit with this will result in slightly less damage than if you had gone full AP.

Fifth Ability - Near 0 damage, no scalings with anything. CC+Damage amp.

Sixth Ability - About the only ability AP favors. Hero Damage will make for about 30% of this abilities damage. Crits also fall significantly short of the AP scaling. Ability is still rather subpar for its limitations, CD, and being single target.

Seventh Ability - You are correct in this one being about 50/50. Crits still scale just as hard with this ability as AP however, once again ruining the point.

I agree that hero damage scaling is a healthy thing to have, I just don't think that justifies her crappy AP scaling. Especialy when you consider that full crit vs full AP, due to being forced to use an AP relic, you will still have about 2/5 of an AP builds AP with a crit build. Further skewing crits favor on her. Gunwitch is my favorite designed character, and I despise crit... I've been trying for a while to find a way to make AP good on her. But with all the above factors, and the poor damage most of her abilities have, its just drastically weaker than crit as is.

@xArcAngel quote:
@Mitzruti quote:

I've done plenty of testing myself. Enough that this is the drastically short version...

First ability - Little to no hero damage scaling. Not intended as a major damage source. Negligible regardless. Still gains about as much damage from having crit as it does from AP.

Second ability - Hero damage scaling will acount for about 70% of this abilities damage when you build full AP. Actualy gains more damage from crits than AP.

Third Ability - Same as first ability. Never payed attention to crits on this one, but likely the same.

Fourth Ability - Hero Damage scaling will acount for about 60% of this abilities damage. Even with AP, its barely worth weaving in, and usualy is not worth its energy cost since you should spend it on her better CC spells. A crit with this will result in slightly less damage than if you had gone full AP.

Fifth Ability - Near 0 damage, no scalings with anything. CC+Damage amp.

Sixth Ability - About the only ability AP favors. Hero Damage will make for about 30% of this abilities damage. Crits also fall significantly short of the AP scaling. Ability is still rather subpar for its limitations, CD, and being single target.

Seventh Ability - You are correct in this one being about 50/50. Crits still scale just as hard with this ability as AP however, once again ruining the point.

I agree that hero damage scaling is a healthy thing to have, I just don't think that justifies her crappy AP scaling. Especialy when you consider that full crit vs full AP, due to being forced to use an AP relic, you will still have about 2/5 of an AP builds AP with a crit build. Further skewing crits favor on her. Gunwitch is my favorite designed character, and I despise crit... I've been trying for a while to find a way to make AP good on her. But with all the above factors, and the poor damage most of her abilities have, its just drastically weaker than crit as is.

Yeah, my issue is that Hero Damage, almost regardless of how much harder AP scales, will be worth more. Because between your higher primary/secondary damage and criticals you'll easily make up the difference. Meanwhile, the AP build will have comparable/better burst, but will have lackluster DPS. Especially with the long cd's of Gunwitch's abilities. 

[[26934,users]]

if I'm understanding what you're suggesting... then by "full AP" you take that to mean that AP is truely the primary stat, even above hero damage.

While I think having that option would be very nice, I'd have to say that aquiring that level of perfection in the balancing of heroes would be extremely low on my priority list. I would just be happy having a balanced fight between crit and AP.

Plus, given Trendy's determination to stick to their schedule... and reluctance to nudge balances into place, rather than bringing the sledge hammer... I don't see it a likely outcome sadly.