Long term goals like a Diamond pet

Back in the days of DD1 you ground out the coal to get the diamond, this was a long term goal for all players who were at end game.

It was pretty hard to do as the Winter Wonderland map was a challenge for sure.

DD2 seriously need s along term goal and diamond pet would be ideal, something with higher stats plus the run speed boost but which took some getting.

A goo Boss rush map where you fight a harbinger, Betsy, a Battle Master and each of the mini bosses with limited lives and a drop of a piece of coal at the end would be a good challenge IMO.

@Fozzie quote:

Back in the days of DD1 you ground out the coal to get the diamond, this was a long term goal for all players who were at end game.

DD2 seriously need s along term goal and diamond pet would be ideal, something with higher stats plus the run speed boost but which took some getting.

A goo Boss rush map where you fight a harbinger, Betsy, a Battle Master and each of the mini bosses with limited lives and a drop of a piece of coal at the end would be a good challenge IMO.

Amen - the game definitely needs some kind of additional end-game goal to shoot for that players can soak up some time with (tried to discuss the idea in this comment if you're interested in reading - my apologies if you're already wayy ahead of me with reading through that thread...).

I don't know if I like the idea of a massive grind for a single item to make a single pet, but I do fully support the idea of long term goals.

Diablo 3 added legendary gems used to augment your character in all sorts of ways. Obtaining them was easy, but upgrading them was a huge and addictive grind.

Something of that nature could be cool if done properly. Give us augment spheres that we have to upgrade incrementally over a long period of time, or special equipment etc.

It'd add a nice mix of RNG and static loot progression too.

@Vagnar quote:...Give us augment spheres that we have to upgrade incrementally over a long period of time, or special equipment etc.

- Absolutely! I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned that we could use some kind of item / feature that is still good / usable at base quality, but that can become more useful over time with upgrades (hopefully an "upgrade-over-time" system that is more fun to grind out than pet affinity...)
 - I tried mentioning, in my comment above, that the game could benefit from the introduction of a few more item tier / rarities that you don't need in order to run NM4 content, per se, but that actually would feel "legendary" when they dropped

I think the process where one has to do one specific map to grind such a item is a bad idea. No one wants to be forced to do one specific map. A better design is where one is simply rewarded the more you play, so such drops should be available on any map on the hardest difficulty, if an achievement is required on one map, once... thats cool, but not endless farming of the same map over and over.

Hey Zimm, I'm not suggesting it's like it was in DD1, but it could be a drop added to the loot table so any NM4 map has a chance to drop coal, and double that chance on your 5th map.

That way you can "grind" it just by playing the end game

I mean right now they could add a pet that does 0 dps and has 50% higher builder stats instead. Each time you complete Bastille inc nm4 you get a coin. 15 coins = 1 pet that rolls 50% higher stats

@Pegazul quote:

I mean right now they could add a pet that does 0 dps and has 50% higher builder stats instead. Each time you complete Bastille inc nm4 you get a coin. 15 coins = 1 pet that rolls 50% higher stats

But then queue what [[150185,users]] said up above - you'd still have to grind Bastille 15 times, which (even though 15 isn't a ridiculous amount to ask for) would still get boring / repetitive quick

@Fozzie quote:

Hey Zimm, I'm not suggesting it's like it was in DD1, but it could be a drop added to the loot table so any NM4 map has a chance to drop coal, and double that chance on your 5th map.

yeah more of that is always nice. but I would also like to see some kind of ranking system or honour system based on how successful you are rather then just more loot grinding.

D3 greater rift leader boards is something worth introducing, though I am pretty sure they will only be dominated by the most OP classes and the current meta rather then classes people enjoy playing. Though Trendy could use this data and simply buff the classes not represented in the top 50-100 rankings.

@g_cracka88 quote:

@Pegazul quote:

But then queue what Zimmermann said up above - you'd still have to grind Bastille 15 times, which (even though 15 isn't a ridiculous amount to ask for) would still get boring / repetitive quick

Not only that,you would have to grind it 15 times per builder + level the pet to 60. Its just some end game grind for those of us who have everything.  At least bastille is a challenge that doesn't involve running around picking things up or switching colors.... Its the map that is most similar to DD1.

@Zimmermann quote:

@Fozzie quote:

yeah more of that is always nice. but I would also like to see some kind of ranking system or honour system based on how successful you are rather then just more loot grinding.

D3 greater rift leader boards is something worth introducing, though I am pretty sure they will only be dominated by the most OP classes and the current meta rather then classes people enjoy playing. Though Trendy could use this data and simply buff the classes not represented in the top 50-100 rankings.

Sorry to spam this thread (I'm bored... lol), but any kind of tracking information that tells Trendy what kinds of ways people are using specific towers (or not using specific towers) would be amazing -- I appreciate the effort that TE puts into improving the game, but sometimes I wonder if they really know how it's being played...

@Pegazul quote:

@g_cracka88 quote:

@Pegazul quote:

But then queue what Zimmermann said up above - you'd still have to grind Bastille 15 times, which (even though 15 isn't a ridiculous amount to ask for) would still get boring / repetitive quick

Not only that,you would have to grind it 15 times per builder + level the pet to 60. Its just some end game grind for those of us who have everything.  At least bastille is a challenge that doesn't involve running around picking things up or switching colors.... Its the map that is most similar to DD1.

- I agree completely! I think Bastille is challenging in a fun way! (though I still prefer the way DD1's build timer reset at the start of every build wave, rather than Bastille's single timer that counts down through build + combat waves...)

@g_cracka88 quote:

- I agree completely! I think Bastille is challenging in a fun way! (though I still prefer the way DD1's build timer reset at the start of every build wave, rather than Bastille's single timer that counts down through build + combat waves...)

I could live with that, or I could live with the timer simply not starting till AFTER you press G for the first wave (but of course the timer would have to be reduced then to keep the challenge).

That timer starting from the mana chest opening has the same effect the new challenge does. It just encourages spamming a few towers that get the job done fast, rather than a thoughtful strategy that mixes towers.

I prefer genuine challenges to artifical ones.

I do agree with long term goals, but ... you know this community. Anything which takes longer then a few minutes- 3-4 maps to optain will be bashed as soon as it appears "Because it takes way to long". Pet xp/feeding? Gear Upgrading? Skin upgrading? Optaining gear? Monthly pets from 4 days to 1 day to instant clear to removed to weekly doable in 1/2 of a wave so you dont even notice it was there?

Long time stuff is not pretty well seen here for whatever reason, it always leads to a huge cryout which floods the forum.

Still, i do agree for it :d. At some point devs really want to have something in the game where players can work towards it over time for a longer time, so that they have actually something to do. Because that's what binds players to a game and that's something the game doesn't has anymore now.

@Fozzie quote:

you make it sound like it was a thing early on. winter wonderland was on of the last maps released.

@Pegazul quote:

Thats to low a number for such a boost.

#88 coal

Even if you divide by 4 (alts) its 22 - and 4 alts is/was pro

@dreamanime quote:

I do agree with long term goals, but ... you know this community. Anything which takes longer then a few minutes- 3-4 maps to optain will be bashed as soon as it appears "Because it takes way to long". Pet xp/feeding? Gear Upgrading? Skin upgrading? Optaining gear? Monthly pets from 4 days to 1 day to instant clear to removed to weekly doable in 1/2 of a wave so you dont even notice it was there?

Long time stuff is not pretty well seen here for whatever reason, it always leads to a huge cryout which floods the forum.

Still, i do agree for it :d. At some point devs really want to have something in the game where players can work towards it over time for a longer time, so that they have actually something to do. Because that's what binds players to a game and that's something the game doesn't has anymore now.

This was a topic about year ago already. At this time I supposed to bring in a passive part that develops during your play. So hardcore grinders can go for it but medicore players maybe won't even care about it.

The idea I had is copied from a game I played as a child, where your weapon lvl increased while fighting monsters. At a certain point your weapon lvl was maxed for every weapon but kept rising, giving 1% more dmg each lvl. The amount of exp was doubled for each upcoming lvl so there is no real chance to get to the highets lvl and having 5% more dmg was already super huge. - Fun fact; google for Sessa + chess if you want to know about this method.

They already started implementing something similar with new titles that are given for a bundle of achievements.

Also I'm not sure if some sort of leaderboard like in DD1 already excists.

What people really want are some things that do count thowards a 100% goal but are optional for having 100%. It is weird but look at it like the 100% is a journey to the moon but the 100% grinders want is to get to the mars. A lot of players will be satisfied with beeing on moon but not all.e

@Hover Tower 2000 quote:

@Pegazul quote:

#88 coal

50% boost ? that's 150 more to 1 stat ? This is like  kobolt man. Diamonds where 600 so 100% increase.

It would make a very small difference in the over all build of someone with 4k + dp

@dreamanime quote:

Honestly, a lot of the stuff you mentioned gets panned because it's an all or nothing situation. I missed out on the triple pet monthly on PS4 because my life got really busy and I didn't have enough time to play to meet all the requirements and my reward was a huge fat nothing, and I'm still agitated I missed my Narwhagon or however it's spelled.

Huge grinds with milestone based rewards is a much, much better system.

@Pegazul quote:

@Hover Tower 2000 quote:

@Pegazul quote:

#88 coal

50% boost ? that's 150 more to 1 stat ? This is like  kobolt man. Diamonds where 600 so 100% increase.

It would make a very small difference in the over all build of someone with 4k + dp

What maths are you doing?????? Oh;

Do you mean just boost on the pets stats? I read  as ALL the stats on your builder...

Diamonds capped at 800 and anyway where you get 100% increase there was incredible fall off for end game stats.

I don't believe implementing the diamond (or a similar pet for builders) would go over well for the reasons dreamanime already touched on, plus my own $0.02 that the real usefulness of coal and diamonds in DD1 came from being able to use them as currency, but I am all for having long term goals in DD2. As of now nothing comes close to the feeling of spending 10+ hours to see how the RNGesus would bless you or curse you with her roll.

@Vagnar quote:

@dreamanime quote:

Honestly, a lot of the stuff you mentioned gets panned because it's an all or nothing situation. I missed out on the triple pet monthly on PS4 because my life got really busy and I didn't have enough time to play to meet all the requirements and my reward was a huge fat nothing, and I'm still agitated I missed my Narwhagon or however it's spelled.

Huge grinds with milestone based rewards is a much, much better system.

- Agreed - and rewards based on long-term achievements, or long-term quests that you could hold onto for longer than a day / week would be excellent - so that you could still work toward some of the best items in the game on your own time, rather than in the (sometimes short) timeframes specified by a "monthly" or "weekly" quest.

- DD1's achievement system kinda implemented that, but the unique rewards from the few achievements that had a reward, usually ended up as "tavern-floor trophies" or forms of currency to trade for other items -- neither of which I think are inherently bad things! [On an unrelated note, if we disregard the cloned / hacked unique item fiasco for a moment, I thought it was really cool how DD1 eventually developed its own trading market with a 'currency system' of item values outside of the actual in-game gold currency (i.e. w/ cubes, coal, event items, etc. etc.)...].

I heard mention of trophies and such coming i thought... But man a diamond pet would be sweet for sure