Sign in to follow this  
Zimmermann

Thoughts on the Power Surge Challenge.

What do you guys think of this new incursion?

My thoughts are:

Regarding solo play only.

I completed it without to much hassle on solo, but just spamming down defenses rather then enjoying the experience.
I do not look forward to farming this incursion as it feels hectic but without a fun experience... I am looking at the ground placing Ballista's 90% of the time unable to switch heroes or dps.

New game types like this should not be "farm mandatory" therefore should not drop 750 ipwr gear in my opinion.

I appreciate that the Dev's are thinking up new styles of play, but I think experiments like this should really be a "fun thing" and not forced upon us via 750 ipwr loot grinding.

Absolutely agree on so many levels...

Particularly the "Farm Mandatory" part...

It has 0 strategic decisions, and might be funny for a few laughs with friends, but a terrible thing to try and incorporate as a main grinding map imo.

Yea this map is not fun at all.    Bastille was ok cause you only had to hurry your butt off for the 1st wave.

But this map is just non-stop, so if something happen IRL, phone, door or pee... well, your screwed buddy.

Don't enjoy it at all.  Spam one tower type over and over again for 15 minutes or so... no fun, completely mindless.  And like the OP said to have to farm this for a 750 item... well, I might just go without it.

@jason4570 quote:

Don't enjoy it at all.  Spam one tower type over and over again for 15 minutes or so... no fun, completely mindless.  And like the OP said to have to farm this for a 750 item... well, I might just go without it.

This is actually an important point I did not raise, that being it does not promote build diversity, as you have zero time to do anything other then spam one building type.  For me it was Ballista's as I found they were easier to get up in stacks and were more damage per mana point then my normal Lightning Auras.

Again, I am not bashing Trendy here, just want to say sure its a unique idea, but not something I want to farm every day for my 750 boots.

I thought it was enjoyable. My solo build I build up three  training dummies blocking each lane as close as possible, drop 5 anti air towers by the crystal, and place a serenity aura at the busiest area on the map.  I'll switch to the gun witch, transmogrify and drop a broomnado on top of the serenity aura, then switch back to squire to place more training dummies.  rinse and repeat without anti air. 

Already got a pretty decent glaive with 35 seconds of cloud, 1750% ability power storm with a 400% ability power attack. 

I'm sure in a four person party this would be even easier. 

@Bitentili quote:

I thought it was enjoyable. My solo build I build up three  training dummies blocking each lane as close as possible, drop 5 anti air towers by the crystal, and place a serenity aura at the busiest area on the map.  I'll switch to the gun witch, transmogrify and drop a broomnado on top of the serenity aura, then switch back to squire to place more training dummies.  rinse and repeat without anti air. 

Already got a pretty decent glaive with 35 seconds of cloud, 1750% ability power storm with a 400% ability power attack. 

I'm sure in a four person party this would be even easier. 

We are all in agreement that its easy, its just boring repetitive and constantly clicking. Clicking up defenses is about as enjoyable as clicking swords on walls.

Now try doing that with random people that don't speak and do whatever they want ( 0 coordination).

My example is, I was tanking in a match and can even survive without serenity, I asked like 20 times just to put some DPS towers in the lane I was in, first thing I noticed after a minute was 10 walls behind me and no dps towers........

So NO, 4 man does not necessary mean easier.

I dunno gang.... I can do NM4 inc on most maps without any problems. Maybe I just think to o slow & therefor react too slowly, but I cannot, for the life of me, do this new challenge solo. I had 1 friend with me & it took us like 5+ failures to finally figure out a good system. Maybe I just suck at this game now? This one is actually hard for me....

Another issue with the 750 boots is that for the new heros u need the storm boots for good mobility, the 750 ones don't have them (at least from what I have seen anyway)

@XXJOHNCENAXX quote:

Another issue with the 750 boots is that for the new heros u need the storm boots for good mobility, the 750 ones don't have them (at least from what I have seen anyway)

consider them builder boots.

@SpiderDanX quote:

I dunno gang.... I can do NM4 inc on most maps without any problems. Maybe I just think to o slow & therefor react too slowly, but I cannot, for the life of me, do this new challenge solo. I had 1 friend with me & it took us like 5+ failures to finally figure out a good system. Maybe I just suck at this game now? This one is actually hard for me....

I am 90% sure you are not to slow, you are just making mistakes.

This is how its done. use 2 heroes, 1 fast runner, 1 builder (for me a Squire).
How to start: 

Select Builder Squire

Collect mana

Place 6 ballista's around secondary objective on Left hand lane, aiming at left/mid lane.

Press G.

Place 3 ballista's in the middle area in front of the "extra lane", aiming at mid lane
Place 4 ballista's infront of the core aiming at the Right hand lane.

Go back to your start position ready to replace your first ballista.

Repeat as they despawn.

After you have replaced the entire cycle of Ballista's switch to fast running Hero and collect all green mana, finish at the ballista replacement start location and switch back to builder.

Repeat building as they despawn.

Round 3+ replace 6 ballista's at the secondary objective on the Left hand lane with 7-8.

Round 3+ replace the 4 ballista's infront of the core aiming at the Right Lane with 6.

rinse and repeat till end of round 5.

Cool! Thanks Zimmerman! I'm gonna have to take a screen shot of this!

In any event, I was able to find another way to win with 2-3 players....EV2 Beams! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :-) I ran around the whole time Placing EV2 Proton beams like a mad man! Before I knew it, the match was over! The other 2 player were DPS, 1 for Air support. If 1 of the players were monk, then that would give fast smashing/insta kill with Monk slam when PB ice enemies. :-)

Diversity is the big problem with that Challenge. You can pretty much get away with winning it with 1-2 characters using 1-2 tower types. All you need is an effective builder with a good tower like Cannonballs, Flamethrowers, Ballista, PDTs and Archers and a DPSer in case things get dicey with bosses (but with enough towers, you can waste these too). 

It was hilarious to see Flamethrowers attack every .18 seconds and watching a small squad of 5 of them liquefying an Ogre.

@ChrisH36 quote:

Diversity is the big problem with that Challenge. You can pretty much get away with winning it with 1-2 characters using 1-2 tower types. All you need is an effective builder with a good tower like Cannonballs, Flamethrowers, Ballista, PDTs and Archers and a DPSer in case things get dicey with bosses (but with enough towers, you can waste these too). 

It was hilarious to see Flamethrowers attack every .18 seconds and watching a small squad of 5 of them liquefying an Ogre.

you dont need a dpser at all, you just need a character that can run fast to pick up mana  and a builder. :D

The new map is okay i guess i can solo it nm4 by standing on the little hut and just spamming archers. but add a 2nd or 3rd player and i cant hold that line we usually just end up spamming walls or whatever and mainly using hero dps

@Zimmermann quote:

@ChrisH36 quote:

you dont need a dpser at all, you just need a character that can run fast to pick up mana  and a builder. :D

Hence why I said: "With enough towers, you can waste those too"

Archers are the worst on this challenge as the chances of overlapping them is high which means lag.

Nice small funnel towers like flameburst, cannons, heavy cannons even better on the right lane.

The perfect scenario, for me anyway, is I do left and middl with ballistas and someone else does right with cannons.

No overlap lots of fast boot farming fun.

How often are you getting the 750 armor piece (boots?) on this map? I did finish the challenge 9 times so far playing NM4 and still zero armor 750 drop.

@soda_taffy quote:

I like it. Fun idea. Not gonna farm it for super boots, though.

I think trendy should keep doing these fun ideas (even though I dont like this particular idea), its just dont tie mandatory loot to these modes, as then the fun soon becomes frustration.

We asked for map specific loot as it was in DD1.  The next incursion should be interesting as I guess it will have to be an up to 750 trinket reward.