Sign in to follow this  
Jojozityjo

So I finally looked at Flameburst towers ...

I havent used my mage in ... ages really, only to goof around to use the rare Frosty power Frost effects to toy around with new builds, but other than that, his gear has sucked, ive focused a lot on every other hero really. But with the new power surge update and how uniques have a special place to go, ive really gotten into this game again. Went gearing up all my chars while leveling their pets to 60 and i went through all but the EV and Mage, figured I'd do mage before Ev, he needs some love.

So I've been playing him, got him geared up nicely for dps, and got gear for tower building which is what i want, and i slapped down a Flameburst tower ... i was highly ... underwhelmed x.x

i mean, 3.7K DP with a total of at least 10% pyromania, and it's dmg was like .. 7.8k, maybe even 7k cause with how the font is it's hard to tell 0's from 8's but either way, that is .. underwhelming, i thought they got a buff in teh power surge update? That thing is as .. as weak .. as an ungeared, DH based built squires harpoon, my squire has 2.6k DP and his harpoon is almost as strong as that, maybe a lil weaker, but it does have like, ya know, bagooken range, compared to the flamebursts rather .. rather pathetic range, and i even got at least 10% Vector Correcter lol

Am I missing something? Or does Flameburst really have that low of dmg even when you are geared for it? Is there a unique or passive im missing somewhere that makes the Flameburst better? Only thing i could think of that could possibly justify that .. rather sad dmg for a tower on a hero that is suppose to be more dmg based than squire, is the Armageddon staff and go DP/AP build(which i cant because of Loot 2.0 on apprentice) and combine the flames marking things with the Volely skill and a gato pet to replenish mana to spam volly on anything the flamebursts hit lol

wow, that .. oddly is actualyl funny, actually got a nice laugh out of that XD

but on a serious note, yeah, i remember the flamebursts being stronger than that, feels like they are weaker now lol

i don't know about you but mine has 11% pyromania and 4k DP and  i consider myself having a decent gear not near good, and my flameburst tower does 15K... so i don't know why yours does 7K

@trshy quote:

i don't know about you but mine has 11% pyromania and 4k DP and  i consider myself having a decent gear not near good, and my flameburst tower does 15K... so i don't know why yours does 7K

Nice stats! But the point remains that flamebursts should be doing a hell of a lot more damage than that, especially with 4K builder stats...

I miss the old powerful apprentice in DD1. But in DD2 it seems that the Apprentice Hero is just the FrostyBoy, and sometimes waller for 20DU. But the super power Mage that we played in DD1 is no longer exist. R.I.P Apprentice.

I miss the death strike tower and the  elec chain tower from DD1.   Apprentice should have at least 1 of those back. And why do we only have 4 towers instead of 5? Something I have wondered this whole time! Anyway....

@trshy quote:

that's more the dmg flameburst should have, but mine dont, my mage is only like, 300 DP behind you, sitting at around 3.7k, with about 13% Pyromania, and i have maxed DP and DS in the SAS, but his Flameburst is only a measely 7.8k half of what yours is for only 300DP less than you x.x

@Jojozityjo quote:

@trshy quote:

that's more the dmg flameburst should have, but mine dont, my mage is only like, 300 DP behind you, sitting at around 3.7k, with about 13% Pyromania, and i have maxed DP and DS in the SAS, but his Flameburst is only a measely 7.8k half of what yours is for only 300DP less than you x.x

I think you guys are a little confused. I believe trshy could be talking about the dps number coming off of the training dummies in the tavern & jojozityjo is talking about the dps on the defense tower's tooltip, which is low because of the attack rate. I'll show you what I mean...

Here are my stats

PQHOc8r.jpg

Here is my tower on placement

iiD9L7Y.jpg

Here are the lower end of damage numbers (looks like those without critical damage)

DfrKL6X.jpg

& here are the high end of damage numbers (when critical damage procs)

NexHTba.jpg

I didn't show my gear, which has 17% pyromania (3% max on each piece with 6 pieces that can have it gives an 18% max obtainable, so I'm close), but you can see what I mean when I say talking about dps is tricky. I can say my tower does 10k (from tooltip), 16k (attack damage from tooltip or dummy damage), or even 24k (if I wanted to inflate my ego).

Regardless, I agree. Flameburst towers are pretty underwhelming when compared to other towers on drop :-/

yeah im refering o the dps number on the examine tower tooltip, the flame towers do such lil dps compared to almsot any other tower, minus la and beams of course lol

@SpiderDanX quote:

And why do we only have 4 towers instead of 5? 

i'm going to be harsh here and say we shouldn't have only 4 towers and this was a bad decision

having only 4 means that it's even MORE important that every tower be useful... and the track record on that for DD2 is just... not good.   not good at all

Its power comes from its AOE, you can hit more then 2 enemies with its AOE, so add up the dmg based on multiple targets makes it better then you think, just not good vs single targets vs other Single target towers.

Its power comes from its AOE, you can hit more then 2 enemies with its AOE, so add up the dmg based on multiple targets makes it better then you think, just not good vs single targets vs other Single target towers.

You can hit more then 2 targets with it, its AOE dmg is what makes it decent.  I still think it could use a small buff like attack speed increase or range buff,  but its not bad as you think. 
Of course every one compares towers to the bone archers, if you do that then yah most towers will seem weak.

@ram1024 quote:
@SpiderDanX quote:

And why do we only have 4 towers instead of 5? 

i'm going to be harsh here and say we shouldn't have only 4 towers and this was a bad decision

having only 4 means that it's even MORE important that every tower be useful... and the track record on that for DD2 is just... not good.   not good at all

Agreed.

Why should we stick with 5 towers? Which ability are you cutting from each character? Not every tower is/or will be "useful." It was the same in DD1.

@mindlessdefender quote:

Well if you count Sphere you could say Apprentice and Squire have 5 towers.

Lightning Strikes doesn't count as a separate tower? ;)

I'll give you Elemental Chaos since it's just a straight upgrade now.

i don't count ubers as separate towers unless both the unmodded and modded forms are functional

flame tower - nope

lightning aura - nope

cannonballs - nope

traps - nope

things aren't looking good

@ram1024 quote:

i don't count ubers as separate towers unless both the unmodded and modded forms are functional

flame tower - nope

lightning aura - nope

cannonballs - nope

traps - nope

things aren't looking good

Weird, because they function as separate towers, other than the elemental chaos trap. Also, as far as I know Lightning Aura and Lightning Strikes are both pretty awful. 

Though, they are all functional, so not sure what you're on about there.

Edit: They can also be placed independently of eachother. It isn't like with a passive or something where you can't mix them. You can have both Cannon Balls and Heavy Cannon Balls. You can't, for example, have Electric Finger Orcs and non Electric Finger Orcs.*

*with the same builder of course.

Edit2:

Flame vs Flamethrower

Fires a projectile that explodes in an AoE with a low fire rate vs rapid fire frontal cone

Lightning Aura vs Lightning Strikes

Fast Damage Field vs Heavy hitting single target

Cannon Ball vs Heavy Cannon Ball

Honestly not sure aside from Heavy Cannon Balls are slower and aoe

Explosive vs Elemental Chaos

Pretty sure Elemental Chaos is just a straight upgrade, used to pretty much just be an elemental switch didn't it? 

I don't own any of the uber spheres, so I could be wrong.

[[26934,users]]

Sadly own them all...

Flame vs Flamethrower - Correct

LA vs LSA - Correct (LSA also attack at 1/3 the rate)

Cannonball vs Heavy Cannonball - Correct, but missing part of it
Heaby's have a much narrower, but longer reaching targeting zone. Travel along the ground, and gain damage per distance traveled.

Explosive vs Elemental - Correct
But that is largely due to the recent patch... ECT's have a larger trigger range, higher DPS, and added elemental effects. Only "downgrades" are that they attack slower, and have a smaller damage radius.

@xArcAngel quote:

Soulstiger

Sadly own them all...

Flame vs Flamethrower - Correct

LA vs LSA - Correct (LSA also attack at 1/3 the rate)

Cannonball vs Heavy Cannonball - Correct, but missing part of it
Heaby's have a much narrower, but longer reaching targeting zone. Travel along the ground, and gain damage per distance traveled.

Explosive vs Elemental - Correct
But that is largely due to the recent patch... ECT's have a larger trigger range, higher DPS, and added elemental effects. Only "downgrades" are that they attack slower, and have a smaller damage radius.

Eh, I'll stand by not seeing explosive vs elemental chaos as different towers then ;)

Though, I don't know what I would change to make them function differently. I almost feel like the blaze balloons phoenix burst damage passive would have made a better uber.

[[26934,users]]

Personally, I'd love to see EC's and explosive traps trade damage, but give EC's SIGNIFICANTLY bigger trigger range. Essentialy make EC live up to the "chaos" in its name, being a trap that spreads elemental effects to a bunch of monsters at random, while explosive traps serve as a targeted, small area DPS trap.

@xArcAngel quote:

Soulstiger

Personally, I'd love to see EC's and explosive traps trade damage, but give EC's SIGNIFICANTLY bigger trigger range. Essentialy make EC live up to the "chaos" in its name, being a trap that spreads elemental effects to a bunch of monsters at random, while explosive traps serve as a targeted, small area DPS trap.

That actually sounds pretty awesome.