Sign in to follow this  
Lanie

Wiki Theme/Visual Feedback

It would be of great help to collect a vote of which of the two existing styles is most preferred!

The two layouts to chose from are:

Not going into the details of exactly how it is laid out, but more the preference between two existing skins. We want to see what feels better for the community.  

Also, if you have any other visual/theme feedback, please let me know!

I prefer MonoBook. It is hard to explain why. I just feel more comfortable when looking at it.

What discomforts me on both versions is the white font. I think it is a bit too bright. If it was a bit darker, like the font color on this page, it would be more comfortable to read.

I also prefer Vector, BUT I think the dark background (even if following the trendy website design) is a pain in the eyes for me, i would appreciate an option for a brighter side :D 

I'd prefer monobook if it didn't have so much padding at the top.

Also second Onu's suggestion lol. Trendy has a lighter, solid background for anywhere there is text. Makes it a little less of an eye strain. Not sure how much wiki gives you control of that though?

From what I see on my screen The biggest visual difference is wether or not there's blank space at the top of the page. There's more differences (side menu) but they are more subtle. Based on that observation, I vote 

Monobook.

Because I'd like to see info without having to scroll too much.

Neither - they are both terrible on mobile.

Are you able to change the code behind these layouts?

Edit:

Sorry, didn't mean to be so abrupt last night.. I was short on time, but I should have waited.

Neither of these are good on a small screen - the blocks in the main section do not resize well, the text, tables, and graphics grow out of the page to the right (causing huge scroll bars), and the left menu stays there instead of disappearing into a mobile menu that can be accessed via finger press. From a quick glance, they do seem to be ok on tablet, although I did not go too deep into the wiki to check out every type of element. 

I don't know how much actual control you have over them, though. I think if there was a different skin that allowed mobile to work correctly that we should go with that one, unless either of these is able to be changed to allow for a responsive layout. 

If they can be changed, I'd be more than happy to help with that if anyone wants. Or perhaps we could create our own using one of these as a base.

@Sen quote:

If they can be changed, I'd be more than happy to help with that if anyone wants. Or perhaps we could create our own using one of these as a base.

We're more than happy to accept any community help on the Wiki! Send a message here on the forums to [[5896,users]].

Personally i like Vector, I'm only noticing a change to the menu on the left, but from that i prefer the darker color then the random Bight bits of background in between