Sign in to follow this  
KnowsNoLimits

Trendy your loot needs an overhaul

This is some constructive criticism and are my views on what needs to be addressed. 

Lets begin.

Rarity: First off lets start with Legendary drops or should I say not so Legendary. Look up the definition of what Legendary means, because last I checked it was something really rare. In this game you have destroyed that with how frequent Legendaries drop. It's just a sea of orange. There for I think it's time you come up with a new tier which surpasses Legendary and is actually you know rare and worth farming for. Bring back Godly tier.

Ipwr: The state of ipwr currently is a mess. It just doesn't make sense. Atm you only have a few maps with specific ipwr 700 drop rates and ipwr 750 loot. Then you have some gear which is exclusive which now drops at only ipwr 650, which punishes anyone pre-patch from ever getting a ipwr 700 drop. I think the end reward needs to be reworked to drop from 700-750 for all items. Notice I said reward, not map drops from enemies.

Armor sets: Ok this one I feel you have again missed the boat on. Look up what it is to have an armor set in other games, you get a set bonus and sometimes a set perk for equipping all the required pieces of the set. This new Storm set isn't what I call a set at all, it's just armor with unique passives which help out dps characters. Sure it's nice to have, but some what gimmicky.

Onslaught: Now this is the one that people aren't going to enjoy me talking about and are fine farming because it's so easy to gear up from it. You have a ridiculous, count it 10 ipwr range difference from round 7 onwards of any loot that drops from there. With a guaranteed ipwr range of 690-700 drops, not even Incursions which are far more challenging have that luxury. So ofc people are going to abuse the crap out of it.

While I'm at it, how boring is Onslaught atm? 3 rounds of trash mob which don't drop a thing. Only the boss at round 3 can drop an item. Also would it kill you to push out enemies from all lanes at the same time like DD1's Survival? Speedy Drakin my ass. I know you guys are planning a revamp for Onslaught, but boy does that mode need alot of work.

Transmorgification: This a more fun one and was done well in DDE. You had the ability to transmorgify the look of any weapon you find into another weapon. If you don't know what that means, it simply has it so that you can change one weapon's look to another. This more of a quality of life change, but it would still be nice to have in the future.

Agreed on the "set".  Naming them all the same means nothing.  Need a set bonus

and the Legendarys not being legendary.. Think iv asked a few times on the dev stream but no answer sadly

The foundation of the game is disgusting. (Exp, and progression mainly. What progresion AMIRIT?)

Item effects arn't even that cool, but they are going into a better place. maybe you guys think a little to far out of the box and destroy your own game (storm gloves, frosty to make certain things viable etc) 

All these new heroes but nothing new to use em on. Whats the point of getting new stuff to use on old things, give us enemys and challenges stop damaging your own game. we get walls of endless hordes that there is no challenge to, aside from maybe a random flying kobold that causes trouble. give us elite waves already dont let us know when they are coming. make us work for our wins. or punished for not paying attention. the maps are small enough we should be able to get around them fast enough.

the more I come back to the game the less it makes me want to come back to the game if that makes sense. I really hope the game becomes fun and kicks off, but i feel the current direction is just to pump things out and im sure its causing a bigger mess and problem not just for players who are investing time in the current state, but also for the developers who are gonna have to go back through changing and polishing everything so the game its actually fun.

Trendy please stop killing your own game. Pull your head in and look at what makes games enjoyable stop just giving us stuff you think is cool to make alpha is over. Im actually starting to miss the 25+++ maps or the 50 search for a group of tanks.

In.Session

in diablo terms, their legendaries are basically rares.  a blue item with another stat roll

a REAL legendary has a specific name and capabilities, and diablo 3 has like hundreds of them.  it seems like trendy didn't want to make hundreds of item powers and instead made like 20 then decided to just throw the 20 on every item as regular powers

when you make the powers available on normal items, you cheapen the specialness of legendaries

people in this game need to be excited to see legendary gloves drop and wonder if they got the frostburn gloves they need or is it another pair of magefists?

Do you guys remember DD1?

In DD1, if you got armour that matched each others type as a set, you got additional bonuses. This meant that while mixing and matching was useful for simply moving ahead, trying to get the same types of armour (for example chain) was very beneficial and worth seeking out.

But yeah, the games itemisation in general is incredibly boring in my opinion. Legendaries that aren't legendary, boring effects on mythic and below, etc, etc, etc. In the end all you're getting are stat boosters.

Honestly, for the games main legendary effects, it would be better if the item always had the effect and merely the value of the effect is rolled at random. RNG is nice and all, but gods getting the right thing is a pain in the ass. A little more predictability in that case would be nice.

From what I understand Set bonuses might be added later. For now its just a Theme Set, all the items are electricity based dps items.

I agree on the low lvl ipwr maps and think every thing on nm4 should drop 700-750 loot from the chests atleast, and possibly even from the monsters. (maybe scale the maps to that ipwr) Getting ipwr 620 gear while trying to farm a storm chest armor piece makes no sense!

Overall i think we are heading the right way, it used to be way worse!

@Tyroki quote:

Do you guys remember DD1?

In DD1, if you got armour that matched each others type as a set, you got additional bonuses. This meant that while mixing and matching was useful for simply moving ahead, trying to get the same types of armour (for example chain) was very beneficial and worth seeking out.

But yeah, the games itemisation in general is incredibly boring in my opinion. Legendaries that aren't legendary, boring effects on mythic and below, etc, etc, etc. In the end all you're getting are stat boosters.

Honestly, for the games main legendary effects, it would be better if the item always had the effect and merely the value of the effect is rolled at random. RNG is nice and all, but gods getting the right thing is a pain in the ass. A little more predictability in that case would be nice.

- Amen to this comment -- No matter how much I play DDII, the experience just never feels the same as DD1, and I think the differences in item design is a huge reason why (speaking within the realms of item stats & item rarity / quality).

- One of the biggest reasons why I think DD1 was so successful, was that the balance between farming better items and actual map difficulty was done incredibly well. You can run literally any end-game content with some decent Trans-armor sets on your characters, and probably do the same with good mythical sets (which appealed to the more casual player), but at the same time, there is practically unlimited potential to keep improving your character's stats, with item quality going all the way up to Ult++ (perhaps the item tiers got a little out of hand once the level cap reached 100 lol , but it at least gave reasons to players to stick around!). DD1 did it somewhat sloppily, but it excelled at creating that feeling of reward when a really high-quality, high-rarity item dropped. Of course, I've heard some people criticize the crazy RNG, and heavy-grind aspect of the 1st game, but my counter to that was that you didn't need perfect gear in DD1 to run end-game content, which meant that your heroes could average 3K stats (i.e. a decent trans set), or they could average 5K-6K (or more), and either way, there's was still something to shoot for! In summary, the major design victory of DD1 was that there were pretty-well-geared "elite" players who could run end-game content, but then there was another tier of insanely-well-geared "hardcore" players, and the game offered something for both! And contrary to popular belief, I don't think simply ramping up difficulty is nearly as good of a fix for DD2 boredom as creating 1 or 2 more item tier qualities that actually feel like "legendaries" would be.

- Also, I'm not sure how many people would agree, but I very much favored DD1's items having a chance to roll with stat values for every possible area (i.e. the 4 hero stats, the 4 builder stats, and hero abilities), rather than only getting to stack 2 primary stats on items for all characters in DD2 + passives (imo, passives that changed a hero ability or how a tower worked should have never been implemented as random rolls on armor, but should have been customizable via spheres / a talent tree / etc.). That being said, it's way too easy to get "perfect" stats when you're only trying to shoot for 2, and room for improvement in DD2 past when you finally have a full set of gear with your ideal 2 stats is minimal (with no real feeling of "legendary" items, as has been mentioned above). I know at this point, it's a pretty moot point, since I'm talking about a pretty major design aspect of DD2 that won't ever get changed, but I figured I'd at least voice my opinion as I try to gather my thoughts.

- Also, while Tyroki said it better than I probably can, I think DD1's armor sets based on armor type were designed well, and I would love to see something similar brought back! And to add to that idea, having armor without passives, like in DD1 (i.e. keeping any passives to spheres or a talent-tree-esque system), allowed players to create builder / dps sets, which, when an upgrade was found, could be passed down to another builder / dps character, implying that getting a really good armor drop of a specific type sometimes constituted as a double upgrade for characters, all adding to the feeling of reward when a good Sup / Ult [+/++] piece dropped! (And you didn't have to have that hero in your hero deck to farm items for them...)

The ;tldr version of the post: I think the widest range of player-types / player-skills will get the most out DD2 if you tried to develop some kind of item-quality tier system, so that you don't necessarily need the highest tiered armor to play end-game content, but that there is still room for improvement for current DD2 players who are already decked out in the best of the best.

@g_cracka88 quote:

- Amen to this comment -- No matter how much I play DDII, the experience just never feels the same as DD1, and I think the differences in item design is a huge reason why (speaking within the realms of item stats & item rarity / quality).

In DD1 the weapons visual design was partially ridiculous. That was awesome. I kept great looking weapons even though they were a lot weaker just because they looked so cool.

It was fun seeing the monk doing summersaults with a pole twice his own height.

@Dreizehn quote:

@g_cracka88 quote:

In DD1 the weapons visual design was partially ridiculous. That was awesome. I kept great looking weapons even though they were a lot weaker just because they looked so cool.

It was fun seeing the monk doing summersaults with a pole twice his own height.

- Absolutely! And that brings up a really good point, in that there were some unique weapons / items in DD1 that might not have been known to roll statistically with the best stats (so perhaps not a lot of people used them), but might have either had a niche use in some way, or just looked really cool (in the case of weapons), which introduced the challenge of trying to farm a really good, non-popular item just to go against the grain, so to speak! I.e. some popular items were farmed because they had the best chance of rolling high stats, but it was fun to try and farm a usable less-popular item, just because you could =P

- One of the problems in DD2 with passives on weapons / armor that give you an enormous advantage over using another good item WITHOUT that passive, is that if you want to make a specific character, you're locked into farming for a specific item (for the most part...) - in DD2's current state, you don't run a map, get a really good piece of gear and ask yourself, "How can I use this on one of my characters?" (like in DD1); you run a map that has been predetermined to drop the best item for your character, and rinse and repeat until it rolls with the passive + #'s you want (it's a problem related to having armor / weapons that are really only useful to a specific hero in my opinion, and could be improved by eliminating passives from gear)