Edit 2: I cropped the pictures anyways, you can right-click to view picture and see the full resolution.

Edit: Seems that html Tags don't work here, and cropping the pictures made them awful.  You'll just have to go through the links or take my word for it.  (Sorry).

I haven't seen this yet, so I decided to perform a little !SCIENCE!  (get comfy)

To start; I removed all gear, stat points, and spheres.  This is the base, level 50 values-

E0DDA0FC7D7E4B11EF9FB06780086985BA9E7472

8417036B7A1C065377EE7FC354922E73936A0971

As you can see, a respectable gain, though the numbers in parentheses are skewed.  Likely because DPS depends as much on speed as power.  DPS gained 73%, from a Power & Speed boost of 30% and 25%, respectively.  Now we add 1 notch to the Buff Beam;

AD1DD6F06FEDA7AE1CB43BD57C22E8C73848E4EB

DPS gained a mere 2.4%, which is reflected in the equally fractional power & speed buffs.  Now we bump up the Buff Beam to full, leaving our Cannonball at base level;

F7766C1487A2914800527906C4A9790A03E12F7B

The DPS gain between 1 upgrade & full is a slightly better 9.8%.  A near-equal gain in power and speed supports this.  Lastly, a plain Buff Beam & fully up'd Cannonball, and both Towers maxed;

AB261A3D89030AFCF6ED67ABA1C607CF2BBC5319

4BEF3CE52628407CD08302462C6256D9A0EBECB3

A full-upgrade Cannonball with plain Buff Beam puts out 11,807 DPS.  A far cry from the marginal gains of a Buff Beam past the first upgrade.  Upgrading both Towers to full nets you an additional 8.7% (that is, additional beyond the first comparison.  I didn't calculate the absolute difference, b/c I'm already going a little cross-eyed).

Now let's see what happens when we throw some moderate gear into the mix;

Cannonball Stats- Power 3,626 ; Speed 370 ; Range 60.5

Buff Beam Stats- Power 3,345 ; Speed 0

75A8FFC438DC986557F7B179935AF0E84D94ECDC
1AD4A9EAA6F18450E7B09AB2E67509AF7734841A
67D1CB84A0C371D5E5A493356F6AEDDDB0728286

With a full set of gear, Buff Beam adds 58%.  Somewhat diminished effect, but still quite respectable.  Following the same patterns, a 1-up Buff on a plain Tower adds a meager 2%.  Here is the fully-up'd Cannonball, all by its' lonesome;

B7B4D0760C9AE2032466CC1AE103914FFC467EC2Lastly, the full Cannonball with a plain Buff, and both Towers fully up'd;
3B65F5CA2611EE872A86FB4E3198A37B80EE336C
0B61397AB0076139918712DA7B6966906247A6F3

The difference between no-upgrade Buff & full on a fully up'd Tower is ~8.35%, exactly in line with our original test.  Lastly (though I didn't grab pictures): On a no-gear Cannonball, the difference between a no-gear Buff & full-gear Buff is ~134% DPS.  This definitively proves that Defense Power does in fact improve the Buff Beam, albeit very poorly.

Conclusion:  Buff Beam does not add Hitpoints or Range, but does add a ridiculous DPS boost in the form of Power & Speed, even at end game.  This is based entirely on EV's Defense Power stat, as we saw speed increased with no other modifiers.  The effect is lessened as base power level increases, but remains well within the range of 'worth the DU'.

When the Beam is able to hit 4+ Towers, a single upgrade becomes worth the cost.  Hitting fewer Towers is still kinda worthwhile, but might be better spent on a Wall.  There is absolutely no reason to upgrade your Buff Beams beyond the first, until everything else is maxed out.  Lastly; due to the poor scaling of Buff Beam, you shouldn't be allocating your choice gear to her.  EV should be your second or third choice for gear, getting hand-outs as your main Tower Heroes improve.

latest?cb=20130726055155

My archers gain 33k~ damage per upgrade. Buff beam buffs them 3k~ per upgrade. Just need to hit 8-10 archers to make upgrading worth. :P

Though, this is with a Defense Crit/Defense Health set of gear. Because I'm lazy and don't want to repair my protons.

Bravo for your dedication to record all the testing... but dang thats a long post haha. Didn't find anything in it that's not a correct analysis either.

For those after a shorter explination; from my own tests I've come to the conclusion that the buff beam adds abt 20% atk speed to the tower, and about 35% of the EV2's DP (similar to the flat boost of the boost aura).

Attack speed boost may also be a flat boost (like frost fire), but I've been too lazy to test with things like speedy harpoon to compare the different atk speed gains to check on this. Not that we know the equation that determines fire rate anyway...

Those are T1 values ofc, but as OP stated, upgrades are really insignificant for buff beam.

@Soulstiger quote:

My archers gain 33k~ damage per upgrade. Buff beam buffs them 3k~ per upgrade. Just need to hit 8-10 archers to make upgrading worth. :P

Though, this is with a Defense Crit/Defense Health set of gear. Because I'm lazy and don't want to repair my protons.

For raw damage stats, you are correct. But when you compare that you are buffing 1 tower for 50 mana, vs 8 for 400, that is why after about t2/t3 (not sure on the exact), it becomes more mana efficient to buff the buff beam once or twice. But not enough for anyone to ever really care in all honesty. Small optimizations.

@xArcAngel quote:

@Soulstiger quote:

For raw damage stats, you are correct. But when you compare that you are buffing 1 tower for 50 mana, vs 8 for 400, that is why after about t2/t3 (not sure on the exact), it becomes more mana efficient to buff the buff beam once or twice. But not enough for anyone to ever really care in all honesty. Small optimizations.

Well, with 10 archers, that mana buffs all of them. So, the net gain is really the same. So, why spend 100 mana to gain 33k dps, when I can spend 50 to gain 30k? Same with 150 vs 100. 200 vs 150. That smaller gain also involves a slightly higher average crit per second/explosive arrows proc due to the tiny speed upgrade. Though, it probably isn't any improvement worth mentioning. 

I agree it isn't mana efficient if you don't have 8-10 archers. Not arguing that. But, with 8-10 the dps gain is similar to upgrading one of the archers. Therefor it'd be more efficient to upgrade the beam, than to upgrade an archer to a higher tier. I'd still prioritise archers before the beam. But, I'd also rather get the beam to 3, than an archer to 4.

Edit: Also, not sure if I'm misunderstanding or if you misunderstood something, but what do you mean by 

"But when you compare that you are buffing 1 tower for 50 mana, vs 8 for 400"

My numbers were upgrading 1 archer vs upgrading the beam. 

Though, my numbers are rough estimates. I'd actually have to note down what they are at, at different tiers.

@Soulstiger quote:

Edit: Also, not sure if I'm misunderstanding or if you misunderstood something, but what do you mean by 

"But when you compare that you are buffing 1 tower for 50 mana, vs 8 for 400"

A double misunderstanding haha. I misunderstood your original comment, which led to you misunderstanding mine.

Basically we're agreeing, without realizing it lol.

upgrading the beam is in nearly all cases pointsless. same goes for the buff aura.

coming from dd1 were auras and buff beams were always priotized upgrading, it seems kind of weird that the effect of upgrading them in this game is rather pointless. right now i only upgrade my archers and thats about it.

@donCamillo quote:

upgrading the beam is in nearly all cases pointsless. same goes for the buff aura.

coming from dd1 were auras and buff beams were always priotized upgrading, it seems kind of weird that the effect of upgrading them in this game is rather pointless. right now i only upgrade my archers and thats about it.

Yeah, that 30k dps I gain for my archers is a waste for upgrading ;-;

I was most surprised at how little Buff Beam gains from Defense Power.  I mean, the difference is measurable, but disappointing, especially when you compare the same power increase applied to normal Towers.  So if you take away anything from this analysis, it should be this;

- 1 upgrade on BB is all you need until everything else is maxed

- EV should never be receiving your premium loot.  Give her hand-me-downs from your other Tower Heroes.