not a fan of the soft cap for stats

I don't know how other people feel about the soft cap system for the SAS, but I personal don't care for it.  It limits the diversity of the characters. I liked in DD1 where i had one character to build towers and another of the same to fight with.

does anyone else feel this way?  I am also laughing at myself cause i wasted a ton of stats points and didn't realize they weren't making much of a difference.

Nah I don't feel the same, I like the soft caps and I feel the soft caps actually allow for more flexibility then if not. Allows for more "well-rounded" builds. But if one desires can dump past the softcap the achieve more. 

Is there a need for multiple of the same characters anymore?  It seems like the stats do such minimal improvements that everyone's huntress/squire/ect... will all be built pretty much the same.

Well... if you want to have viable DPS in NM, you can't use your builder. And a mix builder/DPS is worst (not including specific builds such as AL with direct command build). So yes, you need a builder and a DPS version. TE included some mix version (such as the direct command build on AL) for players that only have 4 hero slots and don't want to pay for more (well... now they could get some with 2k DM).

I can't do NM4 i need to grind for better gear, but have a pretty balanced squire and huntress and can handle NM1 and some 2's pretty easy.  I had an all out dps huntress and just today changed all the stats to make her balanced and the drop in dps was MINIMAL.   Maybe at NM4 it might matter but at i haven't noticed any difference at the lower difficulties.

Stat wise the points you use when you level up don't really matter, is the stats on the gear and the spheres you use that make the difference. For DPS characters losing even one DPS sphere shows a noticeable DPS difference, huntress and EV2 for example. Some damage related passives often scale with a % of a stat. My squire for example has a 720 ipwr sword from the previous new incursion that shoots out fire for 501% o my ability power. So naturally I want as much ability power as possible. If I were to say spread my points around it would definitely be noticeable.

Thanks for all the info.  I guess i am worried that with the stat cap you lose some of the RPG feel of the game and now your just hunting for gear like Diablo 3. 

@oo7superdave quote:

Thanks for all the info.  I guess i am worried that with the stat cap you lose some of the RPG feel of the game and now your just hunting for gear like Diablo 3. 

TBH it is exactly like Diablo 3. Only the gameplay is not as engaging or fun. D3 might be the same old repetitive gameplay farming for new set items that constantly get added or some new legendary item, but those items are called "gameplay defining" as they completely alter the way you play that character. This game does not have that really. Squires sword is kind of game play defining in that it changes how you use the character and how you do your damage, by blocking, making it possible to do damage and be tanky, something normal dps characters can't do. In the end though you are always farming for gear until you are geared enough to do everything with ease, which usually starts to happen after 700 item power. With the next update their even removing the need to farm multiple items for the passives, which will probably make the game worse IMO. The buffs are only a little better as well as they are just making up for the passives they are going to remove from our gear.

@dwrowla quote:

@oo7superdave quote:

TBH it is exactly like Diablo 3. Only the gameplay is not as engaging or fun. D3 might be the same old repetitive gameplay farming for new set items that constantly get added or some new legendary item, but those items are called "gameplay defining" as they completely alter the way you play that character. This game does not have that really. Squires sword is kind of game play defining in that it changes how you use the character and how you do your damage, by blocking, making it possible to do damage and be tanky, something normal dps characters can't do. In the end though you are always farming for gear until you are geared enough to do everything with ease, which usually starts to happen after 700 item power. With the next update their even removing the need to farm multiple items for the passives, which will probably make the game worse IMO. The buffs are only a little better as well as they are just making up for the passives they are going to remove from our gear.

I fully agree with you.  Sadly I have put in well over 2000 hours in diablo 3; and it took that game a full year before they had a good formula.  That is my point about the soft cap wish it was tweaked to give more diversity with the characters.  I am having fun with the game but it is only after updates and doesn't last long.