Sign in to follow this  
Tides

Random question about forum rules.

I was just reading through it because i'm a good citizen "Cough" and noticed that it says "Do not: Negatively portray major religions or religions figures" and wondered.

What if i randomly end up discussing something like the christian crusades with someone? That's hard to discuss without being negative since the entire thing is.. negative. 

I realize it's a pretty far-fetched question, but i have a habit of talking about realy random stuff, so i might just need to know this in the future! :-)

Just my opinion, but here's how I took it:

Can say: "The Crusades were bad because x, y, and z."
Can say: "The people who started/were involved in starting/perpetuating the Crusades were wrong/followed bad advice/whatever."
Don't say: "Christians are terrible because of the Crusades."

One can be negative about a religious group's (or a subset of them) actions without being negative or belittlling the group itself. Discussion of the whys, wherefors and results could be had civilly. Whether someone would get upset over the conversation is another story.. people tend to get defensive and not take things in the vein of discussion sometimes. Religion is pretty dear to some people's hearts; discussing an action taken by a higher up (say, the Pope) almost automatically ruffles feathers.

Also.. it's usually only a subset of people within the religion that do things (actions). It's never the entire group.. of anything, really. As opposed to a way of life or rule they've adopted that any "true" member is supposed to do.. as an example, it's a rule that the people of the Jewish religion are not supposed to eat pork. That is different from something they've done, but still might come up as topic for discussion.  Asking why, or saying that you'd never be able to do that because you love bacon too much would be fine, but saying, "that's dumb" or otherwise putting it down would not.

I'd say tread carefully, and be prepared to spell out that you're not bashing anyone. I tend to avoid these conversations online (as well as any regarding politics) as a general rule, since there is no body language on the internet and many people just see words and automatically go into Defense Mode. Good luck if you do, though :)

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to write a novel.

When talking about the crusades, just yell "Dues Vult! Reclaim the holy land of Jerusalem from the Muslims." 

Just don't be a jerk about it and portray religions in a bad light. That might hurt somebody's feelings :(

just dont talk about it in the first place xD

and if smeone does dont answere him the Dev will remove his post or he will something else since he broke the rules