From today's dev log

This week I’m doing my best to take the first 4 heroes and buff them to be as close to the Abyss Lord and EV2 as possible. There isn’t a lot of time and support to do this task (which makes sense since we still want to revamp these heroes at some point), so all I will be doing is buffing the numbers and changing a few things to make them more viable. After that, I’ll be taking a look at the many builds we have in DD2 and nerfing them. Why are we nerfing them? Well, since we are about to buff the first 4 heroes, the builds do not need to be as powerful as they currently are. Like we mentioned before also, we aren’t very happy with how builds ended up and ultimately we will be moving away from things that are structured in that regard. So the end result of our changes should be that the four base heroes are near the same level as our newest heroes.

How do you guys feel about current builds confirmed to be hit by the nerf stick?

Looks at Archers and Proton beams.

Will this make the game more challenging and allow for more diversity? or do you think it's kind of strange that Trendy were originally not going to nerf anything and just buff the original 4 characters and now have changed their minds?

By saying "builds" I'm pretty sure they are referring to the passives such as frosty power, hearty blockade etc.

Compensated by higher base values so we all can walk around in blue gear and clear everything for the time being.

I just confirmed with Blacksmith. By builds, he is referring to the build passives like Frost Fire and Phoenix's Call that are available on the four original heroes but not on the new heroes. So those will need to come down in order to make sure the four old heroes and the new heroes are around the same balance level. I'll edit the Dev Log to add this information.

@PandynatorDD quote:

By saying "builds" I'm pretty sure they are referring to the passives such as frosty power, hearty blockade etc.

Compensated by higher base values so we all can walk around in blue gear and clear everything for the time being.

Wouldn't this still effect Archers though?

Say theoretically their passive gets nerfed from 10 % to 2 %. That would be quite difference indeed. I still think they are better off getting rid of the passive system though and have it be a fixed variable on the tower not the armor.

Anyway I'm actually ok with a nerf if it increases more diversity in builds.

Edit: Ah TY isom that does make more sense. Still brings me to the same point of if you are going to do that, why not just abolish passives in the first place and have builds determined by spheres instead.

@KnowsNoLimits quote:

@PandynatorDD quote:

Wouldn't this still effect Archers though?

Say theoretically their passive gets nerfed from 10 % to 2 %. That would be quite difference indeed. I still think they are better off getting rid of the passive system though and have it be a fixed variable on the tower not the armor.

Anyway I'm actually ok with a nerf if it increases more diversity in builds.

Edit: Ah TY isom that does make more sense. Still brings me to the same point of if you are going to do that, why not just abolish passives in the first place and have builds determined by spheres instead.

In that case, don't you feel like armor overall will just be a get once and your done? Unless they bring it back to the way it was in DD1, with spheres on top of it.

Not sure what to think when we will be back at 1-3% chasing passives on gear:P

Also the talk about armor sets. What will these sets bring when they don't want so impact full  passives?

I'm just a bit confused as to whats going to happen with armor over all. Seems to be a bit contradicting plans as of yet if you ask me:P

Unless they just want to eventually scrap all the current passives for the old heroes and introduce new ones without pissing players off. 

I think personally getting rid of passives on armor and replacing them to spheres would be the best thing to do..

Have a  Hearty Blockade sphere for instance. Then the only thing you would have to worry about is getting that tower health up as high as you can.

That way when set bonus's do come into play  it will be far more managable to acquire the bonus. If passives remain on the gear it's over kill to farm.

You are right though, the plans for armor passives are really confusing atm.

@KnowsNoLimits quote:

I think personally getting rid of passives on armor and replacing them to spheres would be the best thing to do..

Have a  Hearty Blockade sphere for instance. Then the only thing you would have to worry about is getting that tower health up as high as you can.

That way when set bonus's do come into play  it will be far more managable to acquire the bonus. If passives remain on the gear it's over kill to farm.

You are right though, the plans for armor passives are really confusing atm.

Well, this seems to be a bandaid of sorts.

"There isn’t a lot of time and support to do this task (which makes sense since we still want to revamp these heroes at some point),"

I believe they have talked about moving build defining elements to spheres at some point, that might still be the plan. This seems to be to appease the recent outbreak of tin foil concerning the old heroes.

Am i understanding this right? Ur buffing the 4 old heroes to match the new heroes and at the same time reducing ther passives so they do not become stronger than the new? 

I dont mind the buff its needed to bring them on same lvl. But i wonder why now?

So what is gonna happen to the enemys we are fighting? I mean with every hero being same strength wise soon every one is gonne run out of any challenge and i fear afk builds are gonne be even more normal than it already is now. Or is this just step one in bringing out the thing i fear the most right now...... nm 5......

well nerfing some stuff just isn't actually needed on some cases (proton beams). Just fix the bugs on these one and its fine =).

@dreamanime quote:

well nerfing some stuff just isn't actually needed on some cases (proton beams). Just fix the bugs on these one and its fine =).

I actually think they are only talking about nerfing the old heroes build passives so they get in line with ev/al after they ajust them.

I'd really love to see build dependent passives shipped to spheres over gear. I've always found it kind of annoying that ramsters end up so sub par to archers due to archers having an AOE and +50% dmg passives.

That being said, I think the mentioned concern of armor becoming and grab one and done deal is a real problem. I think we need more variation in armor stats (I'd love to see a 3rd stat per gear piece, but I can understand the concern with that). I'd love to see stats range so greatly (especially between green and legendary gear) that we might one day see high end legendary nm3 gear rival low end blue/green nm4 gear.

I think a change like that would might aleviate some of the difficulties new players have transitioning, as well as help us abolish some of these rather unhealthy armor passives.

Just my two cents tho...

A lot of people are on the side of removing build passives but as far as I can see, this would make the game so simple, if all you're chasing on gear upgrades are the stats, you can gear your characters in one day without question, passives are a necessary imo, but maybe not on the scale we have now (looking for 3 perfect passives on some gear).

I'd suggest a slight trim on build passives, but this might be a wiser change once (and if) we get set armors again. I just don't want to see a massive speed up on progression. Once you are geared, the game starts to fall off a tad, I personally enjoy the process of climbing to the ranks of a dungeon god.

Just my two cents anyway haha xx

I agree with @[UMF] Filthylopez

I kind of like where we stand with gear now, Ive always been about the loot & grind for it. its why ive always liked diablo  or destiny.

From what ive read.... it will make the game super easy to gear for.

IMO keep the way the passives & everything work not... but maybe have stats roll more in the players favor, Ie; gear piece drops at 700ipwr, it will have maxed out passives %, etc.

Interesting !

Lets see how this goes, mby the balancer is reasonable and make the game fun :)

I really give no flying ***s if the game become super difficult at any point. I will find a way to manage.

@sozieqt quote:

Interesting !

I really give no flying ***s if the game become super difficult at any point. I will find a way to manage.

Lol, "flying ***s." Is there a new expletive expression I'm not aware of!?

Tbh, alot of the funky abilities that the towers gets from those passives. I was always a bit sad that NOTHING of that is tied into tier upgrading ingame. Spending mana on towers adds nothing but more plain boring dmg/health. At least on the tiers where the towers/defenses change appearance, include some funky bonus into the tower.

Think about the a Serenity Aura. The only time it EVER gets upgraded is in Onslaught mode when mana is no longer any issue at all. Like, ever. That's sad! Why not take a buncha those passives and link em to the towers as per default, so if we spend mana on acually upgrading out Serenity Aura to tier 2, then we get the 80%(or a different number) slow, if levelled all the way to 5, you might even get a secondary passive? 

I dno, i'm spitballing, but i felt like adding it because i've seen alot of suggestions on these forums since i started browsing it a few weeks ago, but they all seem to revolve around taking the passives and putting them into something else that would need to be farmed. 

I hope at least someone appreciates that i'd like to see the tier upgrading mean alot more :-)

When i read this i naturally assumed it would be things like 20% increase to boost aura's effectiveness nerf the gear bonus down to 10% boost. after reading everyones worry i actually want to see them nerf archers.

@Madmanblazing quote:

@sozieqt quote:

Interesting !

Lol, "flying ***s." Is there a new expletive expression I'm not aware of!?

Yea madman ;)

@Fenthis quote:

When i read this i naturally assumed it would be things like 20% increase to boost aura's effectiveness nerf the gear bonus down to 10% boost. after reading everyones worry i actually want to see them nerf archers.

Seems like it took Trendy a month to realize. But yea that would be great.

Whole impact at 2nd day after AL release, we were around 100 players on the teamspeak through out the day and everyone wanted it nerfed, on the 3rd day people were done and choosed other games when we found out you could have 44k dps rank 1, that really changed the game and we got the message that Trendy estimated that to be balanced in their mind to the current difficulty, what a downer. This was a few weeks later confirmed on a trendy live stream.

Dont forget that they released dragolich a 2nd time.. And remember they have not yet hotfix nerfed the ability to scale with any other pets, it should be 10% bonus damage not 150%. That is crazy. Simply Feels like a cheat, now I have 2 of them and can switch hero to use it every 6 sec on any lane I want. In  4 man team we have 8. That is just to easy. I really miss repair ing walls and saving mana to repair them every wave, if I didnt we would Fail and lose !!

If they want feedback from active playing veteran players Impact members have mostly over 500 hours played, we normally find the best grind maps and talked about builds every day which lead into a guild meta on most maps changing to a better build every week.

I will start a YouTube channel after revamp.

At no point are you forced to use archers or Dragolich. Feel free to explore other builds. In the meantime, my builds with archer and Dragolich are enough to just get by. Most of the time. Still lose from time to time. 

People complain the meta is too easy, so don't use the meta, have fun, explore. Let us poor sobs who don't have gear have some peace and quiet.

@Etownoilerfan quote:

At no point are you forced to use archers or Dragolich. Feel free to explore other builds. In the meantime, my builds with archer and Dragolich are enough to just get by. Most of the time. Still lose from time to time. 

People complain the meta is too easy, so don't use the meta, have fun, explore. Let us poor sobs who don't have gear have some peace and quiet.

Judging from your comment, I'd assume you are still in the process of reaching nm4. If thats the case, you are dealing with the exteme difficulty spike of trying to cross the difficulty gaps. For that gap I'd say for the average player archers are at a pretty decent balance range.

However, that really comes down to a progression issue that many of us have felt. Which is kind of why the discussion of passives and armor stats got brought up.

And while you are correct that people that seek a challenge should just stop using the archers and broken stats, ignoring their unhealthy nature would simply be foolish of us when the developers were nice enough to let us play this game before its release for the purpose of getting our oppinions on game aspects.

Also, there are some people like myself that complain about the archers not cause we can afk, but rather that its just slightly silly that spamming a single tower is the strongest "strategy". I hope that when the games finished that we can still afk, but only if our strategy has really earned us that right.

@Dewkin quote:

I agree with @[UMF] Filthylopez

I kind of like where we stand with gear now, Ive always been about the loot & grind for it. its why ive always liked diablo  or destiny.

From what ive read.... it will make the game super easy to gear for.

IMO keep the way the passives & everything work not... but maybe have stats roll more in the players favor, Ie; gear piece drops at 700ipwr, it will have maxed out passives %, etc.

I don't want to see the grind removed, as that is 90% of the dungeon defenders franchise (which is why I suggested changing gear drop stats), I just feel a lot of the passives are unhealthy for the identity of towers and the strategic enviroment of the game. At the very least, I think we should move away from the "This tower gets % more raw damage" passives.