New thread about our current development

As I mentioned in my last Dev Log, I’ve been working on a thread that showcases our recent development and offers a look ahead to what’s next for the game. That post is now complete! You can check it out here.

This regularly updated post provides a look into the near-future of the game and a list of our recent updates. This is not a comprehensive roadmap but a look behind the veil into our current development. Of course, everything on it is subject and likely to change, but now there’s a one-stop shop to find out everything we’ve been talking about in our Dev Logs, Devstreams and other communication. I hope it’s helpful. If you have any feedback on this post, please let me know!

Also, how do you feel about the name of the post? 

I dig it. I feel these sort of commentaries and Dev log's are really underappreciated these days.

I'm looking forward to all the future changes, keep up the good work!

:d. Gobu. ty but now get the known issue list actualised. Sorry for filling you in with work, but you do such a good job i think it is in good hands if you do it.

Good work and keep it up! All you guys.

It's nice to see more of the strategic revamp, it sounded promising.

However one thing I wan't impressed with was building enemies characteristics around the higher NM difficulties. 

When are you going to learn people don't want multiple NM modes, they just want the one NM mode again? like DD1. If you had 1 NM mode then you could focus on one set of enemy characteristics and make them as tough as possible.  Not to mention you wouldn't need time to spend on transitional NM modes to make them feel different or any future NM modes by altering the characteristics to make enemies stand out.

The truth is people are going to only play the hardest NM mode and if they can't do it themselves they will leech onto anyone they can, thus making your transitional lower NM modes trivial. Any person who can do NMIV now will only give a crap about NMV as well.

Anyway it's your game, you are set on wasting more time on lower NM difficulties rather than eliminating them.

I'm just not impressed with this being a factor delaying your revamp. Just so each NM difficulty feels unique. Do all that you want, but the ipwr isn't worth doing those lower NM modes, So I guess I won't see any of these transitional characteristics. 

Just give me the challenge your game is missing and I will only care about your highest NM mode. Which even saying that sounds ridiculously stupid.

@KnowsNoLimits quote:

However one thing I wan't impressed with was building enemies characteristics around the higher NM difficulties. 

When are you going to learn people don't want multiple NM modes, they just want the one NM mode again? like DD1. If you had 1 NM mode then you could focus on one set of enemy characteristics and make them as tough as possible.  Not to mention you wouldn't need time to spend on transitional NM modes to make them feel different or any future NM modes by altering the characteristics to make enemies stand out.

The truth is people are going to only play the hardest NM mode and if they can't do it themselves they will leech onto anyone they can, thus making your transitional lower NM modes trivial. Any person who can do NMIV now will only give a crap about NMV as well.

Anyway it's your game, you are set on wasting more time on lower NM difficulties rather than eliminating them.

I'm just not impressed with this being a factor delaying your revamp. Just so each NM difficulty feels unique. Do all that you want, but the ipwr isn't worth doing those lower NM modes, So I guess I won't see any of these transitional characteristics. 

Just give me the challenge your game is missing and I will only care about your highest NM mode. Which even saying that sounds ridiculously stupid.

Agreed, they should just flatten the different nightmare difficulties back down into one mode. The challenge should come from incursions and onslaught/survival. The progression felt better in DD1. make the maps feel more unique and different from each other or put in a new option for normal maps that changes the types of enemies present on a map so that you would be challenged differently instead of having tons of diablo like difficulties that just confuse people.

Any word on putting stuff in our taverns trophies, rewards, cool weapons and what not. like the DD1 tavern with some upgrades. You can set up a bank/storage we could  upgrade to hold our loot. maybe some up grades like weapon and armor stands/ case's  to show off stuff.. A spot to put our NM4 boss heads/trophies. Maybe an upgradeable crafting system. venders we can upgrade. just a thought.

@KnowsNoLimits quote:

Did you see the part about the dark mages having  a shield around them. I liked that part made me think of the special monsters in DD1. I think with the new toons we are getting resist lanes are gone players should be able to get passed that barrier from NM3 to NM4 now. DD1 had things to make NM more difficult  hardcore mode and mixed mode come to mind. If they squished it down  they would need to drop gear cap rework gear and weapons.  recalculate damage, resist and every thing that goes with combat and tower combat. that to me seems a step backwards. I would like us as a community and players base to move forward not make this a DD1 clone.

@drag7399 quote:

Did you see the part about the dark mages having  a shield around them. I liked that part made me think of the special monsters in DD1. I think with the new toons we are getting resist lanes are gone players should be able to get passed that barrier from NM3 to NM4 now. DD1 had things to make NM more difficult  hardcore mode and mixed mode come to mind. If they squished it down  they would need to drop gear cap rework gear and weapons.  recalculate damage, resist and every thing that goes with combat and tower combat. that to me seems a step backwards. I would like us as a community and players base to move forward not make this a DD1 clone.

I did indeed read it all.

I love that idea with the Dark Mages and the way the Strategic revamp is turning out in general.

My problem isn't at all with the revamp, but with how much time is going to be wasted trying to make transitional NM modes different and unique when the best thing to do would be to abolish them instead.

It says to me they are happy with their current NM mode being diluted in difficulty and in challenge. The jump from NM1 to NM2 to NM3 is barely noticeable. Only NM3 to NM4 is when you start seeing a difference.

You don't want to see this game become a DD1 clone? that's it's problem right now. They had the winning formula in DD1 and threw it all away for god knows what reason. Only now are they realizing that DD1 esque features should of been in from the get go.

Lets see here

- Build with who you want

- Named Lobby systems

- Dedicated rewards on maps

- Bringing back DD1 maps

I could go on and on, but looks like they have finally wised up with something which should of been a no brainer in the first place.

Right now the difficulty is resembling Diablo's Torment levels. So you are happy with a Diablo clone instead? interesting.

Lastly I'm not creating more work for them, I'm actually creating less. What ever NMV was going to be should be standard NM mode. You don't need to make up cheap gimmicks for the lower NM levels, you can just focus in making it stand out.

They are going to have to do everything you have mentioned anyway for NMV.

So essentially NMV will have a ipwr cap of 750 otherwise what's the point?

Trendy seem to think they have the luxury to delay the revamp when they are losing Hardcore players daily. I think it's in their best interest to speed up the process and have a higher quality build being focused on one NM difficulty setting and have both parties happy.

Not everyone wants to AFK the so called hardest content, to some that's incredibly boring and no amount of upcoming characters will change that. Some people ya know want a challenge.

I'm more then happy to wait for the Strategic revamp, but it should be something of quality than yet again another gimmick with making lower NM difficulties different. It's time better spent else where.

I think they should rather than scrap what they have built so far re-name the content into tiers e.g campaign (being easy through to insane lvs 1 to 50) endgame (the current nm) to introduce the enemys abilities then add a nightmare ( being the hardest content and incursions) gear wise they just have to add nightmare worthy gear

@KnowsNoLimits quote:

@drag7399 quote:

I did indeed read it all.

I love that idea with the Dark Mages and the way the Strategic revamp is turning out in general.

My problem isn't at all with the revamp, but with how much time is going to be wasted trying to make transitional NM modes different and unique when the best thing to do would be to abolish them instead.

It says to me they are happy with their current NM mode being diluted in difficulty and in challenge. The jump from NM1 to NM2 to NM3 is barely noticeable. Only NM3 to NM4 is when you start seeing a difference.

You don't want to see this game become a DD1 clone? that's it's problem right now. They had the winning formula in DD1 and threw it all away for god knows what reason. Only now are they realizing that DD1 esque features should of been in from the get go.

Lets see here

- Build with who you want

- Named Lobby systems

- Dedicated rewards on maps

- Bringing back DD1 maps

I could go on and on, but looks like they have finally wised up with something which should of been a no brainer in the first place.

Right now the difficulty is resembling Diablo's Torment levels. So you are happy with a Diablo clone instead? interesting.

Lastly I'm not creating more work for them, I'm actually creating less. What ever NMV was going to be should be standard NM mode. You don't need to make up cheap gimmicks for the lower NM levels, you can just focus in making it stand out.

They are going to have to do everything you have mentioned anyway for NMV.

So essentially NMV will have a ipwr cap of 750 otherwise what's the point?

Trendy seem to think they have the luxury to delay the revamp when they are losing Hardcore players daily. I think it's in their best interest to speed up the process and have a higher quality build being focused on one NM difficulty setting and have both parties happy.

Not everyone wants to AFK the so called hardest content, to some that's incredibly boring and no amount of upcoming characters will change that. Some people ya know want a challenge.

I'm more then happy to wait for the Strategic revamp, but it should be something of quality than yet again another gimmick with making lower NM difficulties different. It's time better spent else where.

Well as to the clone comment I don't want it to be a clone in the aspect that they don't add new to it. If its a clone with one or two new boss's that boring to me I want new features on top of the old. As for the Diablo 3 style I am no fan of the game what so ever. I noticed you said not every one wants to afk a map you seem like you played DD1 for a bit you know that at one point you can afk any map. what took time in the game for me was grinding out the right gear. that is were the time went until they released the map with the turtle on a treadmill. Then items just about rained from the sky. The old maps were great an all but I want new maps. if I wanted to play DD1 I would it got a huge community update that was great.  But I don't want to play DD1 I want new.I will agree this game is lacking a lot. A true crafting system would be great. A enchanter that adds points to weapon and maybe lets you reroll passives or adds passives you cant find on weapons but have earned. Say you get a passive drop from betsy that only drops in nightmare and has a 1.0% drop rate. I could go on but I need coffee. KnowsNoLimits as always great debating with you :)

I'll have a better reply for you after some coffee.

@KnowsNoLimits quote:

Umm

Whilst I agree with a lot of your points and can relate the strength of your opinions to the fact that you love the game, (and especially what it could be), dungeon defenders is the type of game you pick up, play for a while, drop, pick up again a few months later, play for a few weeks, drop, pick up again etc etc

Perhaps you should learn to play other games at the same time because clearly you're overdoing it. You're talking about changes that should be thought of in a triple A game which this is not. Trendy have been incredibly ambitious for the size of the team and have achieved some really impressive feats considering. 

Maybe your expectations are a little too high?

@R-Kane quote:

@drag7399 quote:

Umm

Whilst I agree with a lot of your points and can relate the strength of your opinions to the fact that you love the game, (and especially what it could be), dungeon defenders is the type of game you pick up, play for a while, drop, pick up again a few months later, play for a few weeks, drop, pick up again etc etc

Perhaps you should learn to play other games at the same time because clearly you're overdoing it. You're talking about changes that should be thought of in a triple A game which this is not. Trendy have been incredibly ambitious for the size of the team and have achieved some really impressive feats considering. 

that's not my quote lol I cant even find were I said that at I think that's one of KnowsNoLimits.

@R-Kane quote:

@drag7399 quote:

Umm

I don't know what game you were playing, but the original Dungeon Defenders was challenging and addicting to me and all my friends. It was by no means a pick up and play, then drop game. It had staying power.

It was due to the simple fact that you had fun challenging gameplay and a variety of things to do other than looting. For instance browsing player shops was always fun, you never know what wacky things you will find or what friendships you would make.

I do play other games as well as this one, it's called balance. However I miss the days where it was getting late and you know you have real world commitments to attend to, but you are like one more map run can't hurt. In this game it's more like well look at the time off to bed I go. It just doesn't have the lasting power as it's predecessor right now.

My expectation of Trendy are extremely high and with good reason they can deliver on everything I want. Look at the strategic revamp that right there has impressed me, enemies with unique behaviours that won't be considered trash mob anymore. New enemy types waiting to be unleashed, seeing the Troll, Spider and Dark Assassin return has me excited. I have no idea what the wolves and Gryphon enemy will do, but can't wait to find out.

I always give props where it's deserved and the revamp certainly deserves it. However I will also not sugar coat anything I see endangering the game to the hardcore audience which has been neglected for far too long. Waiting on the revamp to bring lesser NM difficulties to be unique is a no no. Seriously don't gradually introduce enemies in transitional modes, it's a waste of time and money.

Scrap them and focus on one difficulty which lives up to the Nightmare name.

Go all out and stop holding back.

Just bring us what we all want being one NM mode difficulty which has enemies that will make you *** your pants facing and will challenge you to build smart as well as force you to DPS the bigger threats. If the rewards are worth going for, no challenge is too great.

It's been 2 weeks since EV2 was released (19th Apr), will the price be lowered to 10k medals?

@Big Bad Baz quote:

It's been 2 weeks since EV2 was released (19th Apr), will the price be lowered to 10k medals?

The price will be lowered in the Bling King update on Tuesday. :)

@iamisom quote:

@Big Bad Baz quote:

The price will be lowered in the Bling King update on Tuesday. :)

Only two weeks and they're already dropping prices... :-) You should feel speshal comminity :D

All the new stuff sounds great but can we increase the medals limit to 14 or 15k, there is no point playing if you just keep banging into the 12k limit and have to buy stuff you don't need.

Affection boosters don't need got 8 spare maxed legendary pets.

Item boosters all current gear maxed, and all new heroes have specific passives so you can't pre gear for them.

Spare cards bought already

How about having mega death laser consumables like the salves or an EV specific pet like the G4T0 that grants the laser as its ability.

Chest booster consumables like in DDE where you can guarantee an epic chest all good uses of defender medals

@drag7399 quote:

Any word on putting stuff in our taverns trophies, rewards, cool weapons and what not. like the DD1 tavern with some upgrades. You can set up a bank/storage we could  upgrade to hold our loot. maybe some up grades like weapon and armor stands/ case's  to show off stuff.. A spot to put our NM4 boss heads/trophies. Maybe an upgradeable crafting system. venders we can upgrade. just a thought.

I would love to see a variety of aspects of DD1 implemented back into DD2, I know it is supposed to be a different game but DD1 had certain things like the variety of weapons, tavern, maps, and even the different challenges that you had to complete in order to get very special and unique weapons. Regarding the pets, completing certain challenges and/or maps, you get special pets that you can choose to get in order to fit your play style. Any news on how they are gonna implement the best aspects of DD1 into DD2 like throne room?

Gunwitch looks so fun and pretty. I'm really excited for it along with the new incursion. Thanks guys! gj.