Sign in to follow this  
Dreizehn

Spectral Knight Incursion: If I would like to run around and push buttons...

...then I would not play a Tower Defense Game with RPG elements.

Really... today I played it for the first time and while the idea is somehow new to this genre... it has a reason this is new... in other words: This was one of the most annoying and bad experiences I have had so far with ingame mechanics at DD2.

It is not because the torches change their color/caption too slow when activating them. It is also not because the hitbox for interacting with these torches is annoyingly small.

It is because this game mechanic is as annoying as a quicktime event in a random rpg game.

When I play DD2 I want to keep an eye on my defenses not only because I want to make sure they are staying alive. I want to see them working. I want to see them killing invaders.

I don't play DD2 to run around in the cellar to activate torches half or 3/4 of the game. You FINALLY have released a DD1 map and destroyed ANY kind of nostalgia by implementing an annoying mini game. Thanks - no DD1 map would be less frustrating.

Well I said people would get sick of it... But that was fast.

Actually it's not a new idea though, it's similar to war of the djinn, the single worst DD1 map ever created... And you have to wonder, if we're going to add more mechanics from DD1, why not ANYTHING ELSE!!! Literally any other challenge would be better...

I got no problems with it and I actually like the fact that this kind of mechanics is a big middle fingers to afk'ers.

It also made "moving fast" actually usefull.

@Some random guy quote:

I got no problems with it and I actually like the fact that this kind of mechanics is a big middle fingers to afk'ers.

So basically you like it being in just to be perverse?

@braydon quote:

@Some random guy quote:

So basically you like it being in just to be perverse?

Too bad people defend mechanics/ideas with this rationale 

It's cool if you don't mind it.  But that doesn't mean it's good.  Especially if another reason you like it is specifically because it annoys others lmao

Also, if you don't mind a 15-20minute map being all about matching 4 color buttons then idk if you should take the time to offer your input on what you like.  Because really, what wouldn't you like? lmao

I couldn't agree more.

Action does not mean mindlessly clicking, it means interacting with your defenses, your class abilities and the monsters attacking, not playing button simulator. 

I don't like it because it annoys others, I like it because there's something else to do than just stay behind a wall and left click till your finger hurt or tab out cause your defenses are to powerful.

I'm sort of torn on this.

On the one hand, I do think that the mechanic itself grows stale exceptionally quickly. It's not a particularly fun thing to keep yourself busy doing, especially if you're soloing the map.

On the other hand, I think that it's only this glaring because the map (and all others) are effectively AFK-able *if not for this mechanic*. That makes me wonder what this map would be like if the difficulty of the game matched what the endgame players were able to do... it would be a bloody disaster. If we actually had to engage the enemies more, this map would be impossible to solo. If there was even a minor risk of losing a lane to an ogre, we would have to do a cost/benefit analysis of taking out a Knight and letting the Ogre through.

But that's not the case. It's the only thing to do at all on a map, and it seems that it's specifically designed to prevent players from going AFK on a map. I don't think that's the correct answer. You don't throw in a goofy mechanic because your game is too easy, you bump up the difficulty of the game itself.

@TheWittyScamp quote:

You don't throw in a goofy mechanic because your game is too easy, you bump up the difficulty of the game itself.

I hope this will happen the right way once they are done with the strategic revamp they are working on. I am aware this has been implemented to prevent afk-ing. IF the strategic revamp is done the right way, then creating annoying/frustrating minigames is not necessary anymore to prevent people from going afk.

This incursion reminds me of the magical and physical resist lanes. Those two had been created to increase difficulty and 'add something to the game'. In the end it vanished because it was not good and it will be replaced by something suitable. I hope the same goes for this 'jump 'n' run incursion'.

"I don't play DD2 to run around in the cellar to activate torches half or 3/4 of the game. You FINALLY have released a DD1 map and destroyed ANY kind of nostalgia by implementing an annoying mini game. Thanks - no DD1 map would be less frustrating."

You can play same map without "annoying" part by playing regular/nonincursion version.

@MamaTata quote:

"I don't play DD2 to run around in the cellar to activate torches half or 3/4 of the game. You FINALLY have released a DD1 map and destroyed ANY kind of nostalgia by implementing an annoying mini game. Thanks - no DD1 map would be less frustrating."

You can play same map without "annoying" part by playing regular/nonincursion version.

So basically what you're saying is he can do the same thing but not get a reward? Damn sounds great!

How would be that  the same if there is no "annoying" part?! What he would have is a remake of the map that he liked so much in previous incarnation of the game.

@braydon quote:

@MamaTata quote:

So basically what you're saying is he can do the same thing but not get a reward? Damn sounds great!

It would've been better if the knights just did something depending on their color. Purple, give magic resist buff to the lane they spawned in. Red, physical resist. Green, I dunno, something. So instead of it being something you had to do immediately, they could be ignored. Even doing the map with two people, the knights stopped spawning after the ogres were dead. By that point it's obvious my defenses can handle everything. Why does my hero need to step in?

In solo play I can imagine it will get old, but in team game you can either assign someone just to do it, if they want to, or the whole team can do it.

With three people doing the torches you can all be buffed with different colours all wave, makes the whole knight cleanse process almost invisible to the game and your speeded up all the time.

I find the mode fun, whether I do just the torches or help with the torches.

I'm just glad we didn't have to solve algorithms or translate morse codes per spawned spectral knights.