Sign in to follow this  
Fozzie

Surveys and possible outcomes

So Trendy have got us to fill in a survey on each hero and environmental traps.

My guess is that they will rework the heroes at some point removing hardly used tower types. My favourites to get the chop are:

Huntress, PDT. I know some of you have built a whole build round Towering Poison but my feeling is Blaze balloon, geyser and explosive\chaos traps are the best 3.

Squire, training dummy. I just don't use it and the teleport can seriously bug ogres.

Apprentice, earthshatter. Get it gone already

Monk, I'm torn between the woefully underpowered boost aura or the useless in NM4 AA tower. Probably he just needs buffing

Abyss Lord, well its all OP so nothing needed here.

I agree get rid of the crap earth ***ter tower and bring back his Lightning tower. I miss the chain lightning effect it use to have on enemies and you would know what I'm talking about if you ever built them on Foundries and Forges.

As for Monk definitely get rid of his boost aura, it's so under whelming.

Squire should have a catapult.

Huntress is in a good place, maybe buff her PDT or give her something else entirely.

I personally love the Earth Tower, but it is so bad that nobody (including me) never use it. It's cool but too weak. Double the damage and the AoE at least.

PDT is viable and quite good. The 3 other defenses are also very good. I would consider the huntress a great hero. Just need to bring her to the AL level.

For the monk, I think everyone wants the boost aura gone for another cool aura.

@OP,

I have to disagree a bit there.  They should scale them up a bit so that they are useful again.  I mean, this is "tower defence fps rpg"  Don't get rid of towers! This is not "Trap defence" or "Archer defence" :)

I remember crawling up nm1 to nm4.  Not knowing the meta, and not needing to, I used the earth shatter tower alot.  It's actually one of the more interesting towers in the game IMO.  I was kinda sad when nm4 was more of aura/trap thing and earth shatter was not as viable.  Actually, not I am sad that I don't really use the LA and Traps any more.  I still throw some in when I can.

The boost aura could go.  AA needs a buff, so that it does more damage to air than the archers per/DU.

Although I really didn't use the PDT, once again, it is the only physical tower that the huntress has.

Training dummy?  Some players will come after you for saying that!  I know a couple that just love that dummy.

@knows:  Yea man, lighting towers was a hoot in dd1.  That could possibly replace the flame tower if needed.  The catapult sounds cool.  They need to speed up the ballista a bit more.  Doesn't have to be like the machine gun ballistas in DD1, but a little faster..

I'll just repost what I said in the survey thread for the sake of discussion.

@VincentX3 quote:

Squire: Everything is pretty much fine except for Balista & Dummy, Having speedy on all 4-5 pieces is way too hard to get compared to getting Hearty, which is a lot more important in the long run. (Also considering the fact that even getting 2 passive's in a single piece of equipment is like winning the lottery, so I'd rather farm hearty either way)

Training Dummy
on the other-hand is just plain... pointless? Useless? Even with the Harby sword it's still pretty much garbage since in NM3/4 the spear throwers can destroy it in a few shots while they stay out of range for most towers.
If it's not spears, it's the Kobolds with the TNT that usually 2 shot them on NM4, so why bother putting them when they almost hit no mobs in the first place or get instakilled? I'd rather put barricades that at least can last the entire round and do some reflect damage.

Mage: Other Than frosty, it's mostly pure trash.
So let me get this straight, before when we had lane resistance's (Which was stupid and just made the game artificially difficult, put that's for another topic) the mage was "an option". You had mage towers if you didn't want to use traps for magic lane, which is something I did and even did NM4 with them, but would fail often since they lack any sort of DPS.

Earthshaker tower is pretty much a joke, 50Mana for what? A tower that attacks every 3-4 Seconds? that if you waste a valuable sphere slot you get oooooooooh a 15% chance of... knocking enemies into the air.....yay...
If the sphere gave you a 100% chance of knocking enemies into the air and a bigger AOE by default with a damage buff, then maybe it would have been viable back then. Right now it's just a slow tower that does next to nothing when you compare it to other things you can place for less cost.

Huntress: I actually don't have alot to say about her, it's one of the best hero's at the moment for DPS. The only thing is the bows in general. Ughh... Nothing sucks more than getting a really good bow with great passive's, hero attack and ability power, only for it to be a 1/2s bow with a low amount of total shots.

Why cant we upgrade our fire-rate at the cost of maybe 2,3 then 4 points (To upgrade a bow to say 1/s -> 2/s it could cost 2 points, then 2/s->3/s it would cost 3 until you get to 3/s->4/s which would cost 4 upgrade points)
At least that way people who get slow bows can have the option to upgrade them at the cost of less total damage by the time you have it fully upgraded and people who do find 4/s bows can have the luxury of not having to worry about it and spending it all in whatever.

Monk: *Hits number 7* Enough said.
When we had lane resistances people used traps, now that those are gone people use the abyss lord or anything else really. Even now Anti-air is very situational and boost aura is again... garbage. 50points for almost no gain in the end.

Abyss Lord: My new favorite hero. It's the only one done right in my opinion.

You can actually get 3 passives in a single legendary! Why don't all hero's get this?
The sphere's are all pretty meaningful, with clear up & downsides that actually matter! None of this "here's 2% more Def crit lol"

Alot of people may say he's overpowered, but I'm having way more fun with him than any other hero. If anything the others are just way UNDERPOWERED and need to catch up to him, not the other way around.
(I'm looking at you. YES YOU! That one person from Trendy who keep's nerfing everything on a whim, stop that. STOP.)

The only thing I don't use is the ORC Block or Colossus since I already have good barricades for defense and Colossus has a massive cost compared to the actual damage. You would think he would do at a minimum 50-70k as a standard for that cost. It's just way to expensive and it cant attack air units so, again, pointless.

Sorry for the massive read. Just my honest opinions though.

As for the monk's boost aura, I don't mind that it exists, but it needs to be at least half the cost with a huge buff to its actual buff power, since at the moment it's a lot more viable to just put up another tower than try to buff 6+ towers at the same time.

Well I consider, and alot do, dummys one of the better barricades. For only 20 du they are awesome and have a very high health too. I love using it by far over any other barricade type. I can't even see how they end up on this list. in 1/3 of the games i am in (even if i don't build) are dummys.

Boost Aura from monk is strong, even now, but because the game is so easy not many are using it. It was more used when it was still "hard". I do use it when i get the chance to it.

The 24% damage reduction is nice, on top more hp too for a barricade.

Then there is the DP boost which is also nice and that is the reason why i am using currently. It's not hard to get the worth using it, only 7-8 towers in it and it pays out. But because it can also be boosted it can go down to 3-4 towers in it to make it worthwhile. Which is extremly strong considering the other boni it offers too. 

Maybe the game needs to get harder again so people use it more and then you actually can see it true value.

The other defenses, yep they need some improvement for sure XD

think they all should be reworked before a removal is in order tbh, then if adding attack speed/aoe/dmg to earth shatter or whatever the tower is doesn't increase its use then survey and remove. people have a lot of time invested in the "passive" system to have it thrown away. I like my balloon build and my PDT. And if earth shatter was better I'd probably like it too. Could go on but ya id like a rework before a dump. Seems like a easier thing to do so trendy can make head way on something else... Dunno just my 2cents 

Here another kind of use for the boost aura.

After getting my Colossus AL just 50 now i did a quick test run with it. This setup saves DU on a lane, and you can drag him around. The placement on this first run is wrong though. I should have placed him higher on top of the first stair. Would make it alot easier to boost the boost aura with frosties and also agro the air.

What is the idea behind this setup. Frosties boost  the colossus and boost the boost aura which also boosts the colossus plus HP and damage resistence. The Heal aura from AL also reduces the damage monster do by 20%.

Sadly there seems to be some bugs i found out with this testrun now. Frostboost + 100% speed sphere seems to trigger an attack rate bug which gives him sometimes -10m attack rate, then he doesn't attack. But he still survived through it. No other damaging tower were placed in his lane and only when this bug happened there was a moment where he could have crumbled.

Get creative guys :D.

colo1.jpgcolo2.jpg

I so love it when the colossus smashes stuff in ultra high speed down muahaha.

@Nefhith quote:

Hey it's me (Salad) in there!

:D haha now i finaly know who you are in the forum here hehe. I think the first run with him was quit a success, despite the one nasty bug where he stopped fighting. Well i might push his HP up to 2,5 or 3m later. Or go for more damage mmh.

I don't think that's  bug actually (is that pic with 0 atkspd a pic of the bug you described?).  Did that happen when a spectral knight came through? 

I just got AL a few days ago, but before that I was doing that map with PDT+frosty trap setups - it usually smashed through everything except sometimes on wave 6 I would suddenly lose after letting a spectral knight up too far.. which was confusing because he couldn't have one shot the crystal I thought

Anyway, I go up and check one time and notice all of my traps + PDT had little stars swirling them (like your colossus in the pic), which is the same animation of the betsy tower blow up thing that disables traps 

I've got a theory they scripted the knights to stun traps/towers they walk over (devs are just in time fighting off the trap meta as soon as AL is released and archers > all, lol...)

Hate to say this since I see a lot of negativity about the earth shatter... but have any of you considered it could be made useful in the revamp?  These surveys look like precursors to figuring out how to fix subpar defenses.  Let's not all jump on the "this is ***, remove it" bandwagon just yet.

I don't see a reason to remove any defence we already have (yes even the training dummy and boost aura, I actually find both of them pretty useful or even staples on some maps already) every underwhelming tower can be salvaged with some buffs as they are now and I hope nothing gets removed completely.

~Felix

@Pachipachio quote:

I don't think that's  bug actually (is that pic with 0 atkspd a pic of the bug you described?).  Did that happen when a spectral knight came through? 

I just got AL a few days ago, but before that I was doing that map with PDT+frosty trap setups - it usually smashed through everything except sometimes on wave 6 I would suddenly lose after letting a spectral knight up too far.. which was confusing because he couldn't have one shot the crystal I thought

Anyway, I go up and check one time and notice all of my traps + PDT had little stars swirling them (like your colossus in the pic), which is the same animation of the betsy tower blow up thing that disables traps 

I've got a theory they scripted the knights to stun traps/towers they walk over (devs are just in time fighting off the trap meta as soon as AL is released and archers > all, lol...)

Yeah i knew about the stun. But i actually forgot about it yesterday because it was so late =). I will do some more testing on it today in dephs now.

PDT and EarthShatter needs a Mega boost, Very cool ideas.   Empower Aura.... Even when the game was hard it was really not worth the cost, Buff or Bust. AA needs a Buff, In reality most of the towers need a buff if they are trying to move everything to Abyss level.

Side note I use Dummies 99% of the time currently. Save 10 du to build other items ^.^  The Apprentice walls id use if i had his walling ability. NM4 course

Anyone else remember when boost aura was broken strong? That % dmg increase was just a bit too much, they haven't made any changes to it since they nerfed it hard. It's probably going to get plenty o love in the revamp

@wilywilton quote:

Anyone else remember when boost aura was broken strong? That % dmg increase was just a bit too much, they haven't made any changes to it since they nerfed it hard. It's probably going to get plenty o love in the revamp

Yeah, I remember.  Boosting towers require probably the most attention out of all the mechanics when it comes to balancing the numbers because its impact is so variable (boosting 1 tower or 10 towers).  Currently it takes like 9 cannons to get a 'free' cannons worth of DPS out of a boost aura (excluding crit damage though...).  That sucks.  Before it was 2 (afair, with boosting items; with legacy stuff it was nearly +100% DP boost >_> so, OBVIOUSLY it was too much)

What do you think would be a reasonable +% DP?  Or +% DMG since DP boosting mechanics ignores crit damage which kind of sucks for everything except archers atm

Personally, I think it adds an unneeded layer of complexity to balancing towers.  Just do away with boosting tower power and tower speed mechanics.  I like boosting HP though - investing DU/mana in bigger walls is interesting, imo

What do you think would be a reasonable +% DP?  Or +% DMG since DP boosting mechanics ignores crit damage which kind of sucks for everything except archers atm

Personally, I think it adds an unneeded layer of complexity to balancing towers.  Just do away with boosting tower power and tower speed mechanics.  I like boosting HP though - investing DU/mana in bigger walls is interesting, imo

% dmg gets broken way to easily making it much harder to balance than %dp, while I think % dp would be a good buff to the aura I think % of stats would be a more viable solution. So if you wanted to make your boost aura add defense health you have a Monk with crazy high DH and then his boost aura would apply X% of each stat. Then you have the opportunity to add in spheres to augment the boost or take a higher % of one stat and less of another.

Though just thinking of this idea a little bit further down most people would go for the straight dmg aspect of IE: DP boost sphere. So my idea is more of a change to it than a solves the problem kind of thing

EDIT: To answer your question, keep the % low but add more than just %dp that the tower provides