Unholy Catacombs loot and solo play

I was disappointed to find out that the new items are only obtainable through Incursion, as in my experience it is far harder to solo and appears to be designed with group play in mind.

I thought not to worry, I then attempted it a few times noticing that without the cookie cutter builds it is very tough. Again I thought not to worry until it came round to dealing with the spectral Knights, dealing with 5 spectral nights alone with the 400 movement speed boost sphere is doable, however it leaves little to zero time to handle repairs or additional dps on empowered lanes.

I am sad to say, this is not remotely possible without either overpowered heroes or cookie cutter builds.

Any plans to bring loot to non Incursion maps?
Any plans to develop the "switch" system on Unholy Catacombs to make it easier to deal with Spectral Knights for solo play?

Any plans on addressing builder balance?

They're bringing all the other classes up to par with AL afaik in the strategic revamp. 

Unfortunately for the time being that means that those of us w/o AL (I feel your pain) are under powered

I tried the new map as well, 700+ builders & squire with max movespeed + curse pet to sonic around.  Best success I've had was using only flamethrowers, serenity aura, and monk AA.  Flamethrowers have 9k DPS with 30% chance at an extra 9k.. which used to be crazy OP next to the potential of other towers, even under frosty buffs.  But eventually that build gets beaten because later waves I'm underground playing button-on-wall simulator in hopes that my build can fully AFK everything

Pretty dumb design with regards to solo players.  Even if your build can fully afk it, the map is still "go underground for the duration of the active phase and come out at the end and see sweet loots!" Which is like.. not fun <_< I think we all want to be a part of the action, seeing the big DEEPS, repairing, taunting, stickynading, etc etc.

@Pachipachio quote:

But eventually that build gets beaten because later waves I'm underground playing button-on-wall simulator in hopes that my build can fully AFK everything

Yep, its really not fun doing the buttons, I have to say one button would have been fine, gives you something to track and not ignore, while not making it an annoying task that takes you out of the fight completely.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to Solo this map without OP Lord, since I do not own one.

Used Squire waller: 359k

Monk Lightning auras 4.3DP and 396% Purge SA, 19.4% crit

Apprentice only for 4x Slow/buff towers.

Squire Flamethrower DPS/tank.

@Pachipachio quote:

Even if your build can fully afk it, the map is still "go underground for the duration of the active phase and come out at the end and see sweet loots!" Which is like.. not fun <_< I think we all want to be a part of the action, seeing the big DEEPS, repairing, taunting, stickynading, etc etc.

That's a pretty accurate description of it.

I am still surprised because I did not think they were able to spoil THIS map for me.

Ya I don't like that aspect of it, just remember you can repair/upgrade and most heroes can attack through the ceiling while underneath switching sword colors (helps in some situations)

The incursion is extremely solo unfriendly. You really need to be taking care of the spectral knights almost all the time, so if don't have a near afk build (if you don't count the spectral knight), it's going to be really hard (not sure if you can even do it, probably, but it'll be intense and not necessarily good to farm). 

They should reduce the number of spectral knights when soloing.

Are you guys setting the torches to a colour before you start the wave?

Once you are buffed you are even faster, once you cleanse a knight go back in and pick up the buff again and start changing the torches to the next colour, that way you'll have the previous buff on, if you get double same colour knights, and most of the way to the next colour. That way you can go out and do some repairing or dps whilst buffed.

@Zkurcrow quote:

Ya I don't like that aspect of it, just remember you can repair/upgrade and most heroes can attack through the ceiling while underneath switching sword colors (helps in some situations)

Nice tip, ill try that next time :)

@Zkurcrow quote:

This is actually really huge for solo - changes everything if you run around while repairing.  This is what enabled me to clear it with my PDT/trap/frosty build a few days ago (not 100% clear rate though).  I guess I lost to unlucky witherbeast + boss or + drakkin or something combos that couldn't die fast enough.  Can't be sure though, since I was underground the whole time whenever I'd lose >.>

One thing I am sure of though (sort of), is if a spectral knight walks over defenses it stuns them for a long time.  Gives em the swirling star animation that betsy's tower explosion gives and they have 0 DPS for the duration (it's a long one).  So, that's a pain when using low-range towers

As well as [[52650,users]]'s tip, of course.  I found that with time I was better at doing the switches and found that switching many switches preemptively was worthwhile insurance against the times where you get back-to-back-to-back knights that required you to switch the colors twice in a row (that's better now with the patch change lowering the delay of the buttons though) 

recently got AL though, and it's ezpz now.  Haven't yet lost - even had games with flying kobolds somehow never getting shot and blowing up archers.  AL gives no ***s lol

Another tip for soloing... you can stack the buff, so before you change to another color be sure that you get the current color, that can save you time. (I had been able to stack the  3 color, remember they last 40+ seconds)

Plus I think this map is beautiful, because is a non-AFK map. It's planed to be played actively and it accomplish it. I'm wondering what will they implement in the new maps to avoid AFKers.

Up to now for me the best build had been the Lazy Build from Keyss post. It allow Players concentrate on knight and have fun killing mobs without risk of losing the crystal. Plus the position of the Archer avoid noobsy ppls to lure kobols or boss near towers. (you can do this build if you have archers over 29K dps)

@DarkChuky quote:

Another tip for soloing... you can stack the buff, so before you change to another color be sure that you get the current color, that can save you time. (I had been able to stack the  3 color, remember they last 40+ seconds)

Oh very interesting and EXTREMELY helpful tip! I will try this next time I do the map. I have solo'ed it quite easly the last few times, so it should be even easier now. Thanks!

I personally would like to have lower catacomb incursion level...like right next to forgotten crossroads Inc on hard. ^^