Sign in to follow this  
TheWittyScamp

Devstream Town Hall Meeting

Title is self-explanatory. Consider this the thread for all the feverish panting, excited wiggling, and/or furious typing that you may feel the need to do concerning the latest devsteam, all in one place! Elliot keeps talking about the need for feedback and community thoughts, so let's let 'er rip, as they say!

The main discussion I want to bring up concerns the current direction that Trendy is going with content. Do people view this as a good thing? Where are the steps being taken that people like or don't like?

My personal thoughts below, feel free to roll your eyes and start typing your own thing!

EV v2 sneak peek - YASSSSS. I love the way that Trendy is trying to make builders interesting in the combat stage, and pickups are a cool way to get there, as well as some weapon mechanics that could really be interesting. Does everyone agree more or less that builders should be fun in the combat phase too? The question can get a little sticky considering some of the stuff I DIDN'T like that that I'll mention below. In the mean-time, let thoughts of pulsing p**is nodes comfort you! squire_small.png

Map preview - Hell and Yes. I love the prospect of getting real maps instead of the re-skins we got with Harbinger (even though the music on the Harbinger Throne Room is probably my favorite map track in DD2).

New Incursion/Items - Hooray for something new to do! I sincerely hope that it is challenging, and that it lets people get more involved with the endgame (also, endgame loot that's not tied to a f@[[10776,hashtags]]' wheel!) I like the Squire's new sword, but I *don't* like that the idea to "Melee DPS isn't viable" is being fixed via an item, and not by tweaking the melee heroes themselves. It seems like a Band-Aid solution to a bullet wound problem, because now it looks like it will be "Melee DPS is viable *if* you can farm this one particular map for this one particular drop, because having one class be operationally useless for a long time unless you had a specific eyeball-covered polearm for them was a good idea". 750 ipwr items being released on specific maps seems cool, because I think that most of the endgame players like the idea of farming specific maps for specific things.

GunWitch baby preview - Gun-brooms? Oh come on. :P

Boomsticks. Hands down. Seriously Timmy, put your damned hand down.

One thing I did *not* like was Elliot dropping the bomb that heroes (I'm assuming GunWitch and Barbarian) wouldn't have towers at all, but then ALSO saying that they wanted to focus on the fact that this is a tower defense game and not necessarily a typical action game. While I'm all for DPS characters, I think that where the game shines is the OPTIONS that a player has. So making the Gun Witch and the Barbarian have fantastic DPS kits that do wonderful things and are really enjoyable is great, but that same logic could easily go to the builder side of things since this *is* a tower defense game. Reasonable minds can disagree on that, but I'm even more salty about the Gun Witch winning if she's not even going to offer a build option for players that prefer that side of things. The Abyss Lord offered a happy medium of really fun DPS skills and options along with building tools, and it appears that the Series EV v.2.0 will do the same. I LOVE that and I want to see more of it. By all means, make the towers for the "DPS oriented" characters not scale particularly well, but I think they ought to *have* some.

The lack of towers on heroes as a design concept is my only real grievance. I think that the direction of the last few devstreams, and the idea of the "Elliot patches" mentioned in the Social Tavern stream today really brought home my thoughts on this year for Dungeon Defenders II. I was on the fence with the directions and design choices in a lot of aspects, but in the last couple of months I've been getting more and more hopeful with the direction that the game is going. The problem is simply a matter of timing for me, now, because a lot of players trudged through the content that's already here, so it's a matter of backlogged quality of life changes on top of new content on top of revamps on top of balancing it all. It's going to be one hell of a journey, but each time that Elliot opens his beautiful mouth to ramble like an excited kid on Christmas morning, I become more and more willing to take that journey with you guys. <3

I like the sound of the incursion, New features new fun. Hopefully they can pump stuff out in a timely manner to keep the player base from dwindling, Preferably without exploits and bugs.

I'm going to be honest ever since Elliot Cannon has taken over I have become more and more interested in giving this game a go again.

Issues people have been complaining about for 2 years are finally starting to be addressed. I keep tuning into to each and every dev stream just to see where the game is heading and although I don't agree on some of the decisions I have seen I like that they are open to suggestions into better improving the game.

That's the Trendy I remember from DD1, in tune with the player base and finally stating to see results. Rather than all talk like before.

However what I'm waiting for is the Strategic Revamp, I want it add the challenge I have been looking for.

Really all I want now is a NM that lives up to the name, if they can't do that give me one difficulty which is end all be all.

Hell difficulty.

An end game which involves other things other than farming the best loot.

I agree with Knows, he put it better than i could.  Also, I'm waiting for these new heroes to see what becomes of them, and the game as a whole afterwards.  Seems to be improving, although i would like something so we can try heroes before we decide to buy

I would love a real endgame mode. I think that the endgame is supposed to be something that a lot of people CAN'T do. That's the point, I think - it's something to work towards and feel great if you can get there.

Steps in the right direction is a fantastic thing for me.

On another note, this "Mission Madness" weekend thing, what are people's thoughts? I'm a fan of the concept so far. It's a nice little boost in Medal income for those inclined to save up for a hero, and since the map completion medal rates are still... well, non-optimal, this is a decent enough "fix" for now.

And the extra dailies actually gave me a compelling reason to play last night so that I could free up daily mission space, so there's that. Reasons to play are a good thing, because instead of just doing 3 or 4 maps every 3 days I did that many in one, which is a lot more play time than I've felt like putting into the game in a while!

Really disappointed that they're moving to more incursions instead of fixing the way regular missions are. Basically the difference between the two modes seems to be that some effort is put into the incursion one, while the regular maps just have random enemies slapped on them and are put out with the same re-hashed crap... I don't know why trendy would leave them like this...

I think that a lot of the maps are essentially proofs of concept and placeholders. I'm eager to see more of the strategic revamp to hopefully alleviate some of those exact concerns. As far as incursions being special, I think that's sort of the point. They're supposed to be harder and balanced around the real "end game". The regular modes are to test different builds and see how the lanes work on a map to develop familiarity, the incursions are to actually test your mettle on that map.

Or, at least that's what I think they should strive for. Certainly people might have some contentions about that.