Sign in to follow this  
Klaleara

I've spent $70 attempting to get a legendary pet

PLEASE NOTE:  IM NOT ASKING FOR A REFUND OR ANYTHING

So, I got 10,000 gems from awhile back now.  And I've almost exclusively spent 8000 gems on attempting to get a Legendary Evilwick, and Katkorat.  I have gained 3 Mythical Evilwicks, and several Blue Katkorats as my best pulls.

Now, when I realized that was actually the cost I dropped on them, it was a bit dis-heartening.  It makes me not want to continue spending money when I've dumped so much money into something, and really haven't gotten what I wanted out of it.  Yes, I've got a Mythical, but lets be honest, will any player settle with Mythical when Legendary exists?

My recommendation, put in a system that guarantees that at some point, you will get a Legendary.  I'm not saying, pay $10 and get the legendary.  But maybe, say, combine 10 Greens to late a blue, 8 Blues to make a Purple, 5 Purples to make a Orange.  Or something along that line.  Not leave everything up to RNJESUS

One of the reasons I feel Warframe does so well (Whether you like it or not, is one of the most successful F2P games, if not THE most), is because you know what you are getting when you spend money.  It isn't RNG at all.  Now, RNG isn't TERRIBLE, I just think there should be a secondary system in place, that makes sure you will get it within a certain amount of money spent.

@Klaleara quote:

So, I got 10,000 gems from awhile back now.  And I've almost exclusively spent 8000 gems on attempting to get a Legendary Evilwick, and Katkorat.  I have gained 3 Mythical Evilwicks, and several Blue Katkorats as my best pulls.

Now, when I realized that was actually the cost I dropped on them, it was a bit dis-heartening.  It makes me not want to continue spending money when I've dumped so much money into something, and really haven't gotten what I wanted out of it.  Yes, I've got a Mythical, but lets be honest, will any player settle with Mythical when Legendary exists?

My recommendation, put in a system that guarantees that at some point, you will get a Legendary.  I'm not saying, pay $10 and get the legendary.  But maybe, say, combine 10 Greens to late a blue, 8 Blues to make a Purple, 5 Purples to make a Orange.  Or something along that line.  Not leave everything up to RNJESUS

One of the reasons I feel Warframe does so well (Whether you like it or not, is one of the most successful F2P games, if not THE most), is because you know what you are getting when you spend money.  It isn't RNG at all.  Now, RNG isn't TERRIBLE, I just think there should be a secondary system in place, that makes sure you will get it within a certain amount of money spent.

How is this even possible when not one, but both pets were available in their golden legendary versions at the carnival? Why on earth would you stupidly pay $70 for a pet? I would say I feel sorry for you, but I don't.

I think premium pets are a joke. They should make all premium pets roll mythic and above since only dps is affected by rarity.

One idea Trendy has thrown around before is the option to upgrade a pet from one rarity to the next.  There hasn't been anything concrete, but I for one would support that change.

Gear tiers on pets is something that should never have existed. I would love to see it removed.

@gigazelle quote:

Gear tiers on pets is something that should never have existed. I would love to see it removed.

remember, getting legendary pets guaranteed with money is too P2W Emoji_Huntress.png....

I too would have loved to see it removed since it's just another one of those parts of the game that serves only to annoy the user into spending money.  Like bag space, scavenger, and NO WE CANNOT MAKE CONSUMABLES STACK OVER 99, etc etc.

I'm shocked we didn't get a thread like this months ago since just eyeballing at the rates of legendaries from the eggs I would think it has a <5% of rolling legendary... which would put it in at an average price of at least 100 bucks.  Scandalous :^)

For 1600 gems you could have gotten a bunch of legendary and golden pets. I think paying should only affect if it is gold or not, NOT whether it is legendary or not, as they do more DPS.

@BestProfileName quote:

For 1600 gems you could have gotten a bunch of legendary and golden pets. I think paying should only affect if it is gold or not, NOT whether it is legendary or not, as they do more DPS.

The values, at max level, is 1800 DPS for green (powerful) vs 3000 DPS for orange (legendary).  Not really a big deal, no matter which side of the argument you fall under

But you, like the poster who said "your fault" is kind of making light of a pretty gross mechanic in a game whose target audience is children.  It's like legal gambling for kids.  If that's not gross and it's "their fault for not finding the better deal in-game" then... idk

@Pachipachio quote:

@BestProfileName quote:

The values, at max level, is 1800 DPS for green (powerful) vs 3000 DPS for orange (legendary).  Not really a big deal, no matter which side of the argument you fall under

But you, like the poster who said "your fault" is kind of making light of a pretty gross mechanic in a game whose target audience is children.  It's like legal gambling for kids.  If that's not gross and it's "their fault for not finding the better deal in-game" then... idk

Where was I making light of that? I said that leg pets should not be behind a paywall. However, this is a f2p game, so if they can't make money via cosmetics then how the hell do they? By selling content that is about the mechanics? Then it's not much of a f2p game, is it?

edit: Just in case someone says you can get leg pets for free - true. However, I am talking about these carnival type pets. They should all be free, but the costumes and whether the leg is golden or not, I am fine with being paid for.

I honestly think the tiered pet nonsense along with them counting towards your average ipwr needs to be loaded onto the catapults in the outdoor hub and launched straight into the etherian sun.  Whoever thought making this game more grindy ridiculous by adding pokemon into it needs to admit their mistake and fix it lol

what if they change 300 for golden egg that have 80% go get golden pet and normal egg have 2% to hatch golden pet. they must drop all kind of egg even premium pet like ninja and robo cat. with this its not a p2w just if the people lazy to farm the egg they can pay to have high chance getting golden pet. also high lvl onsLaugh can drop some golden egg. trendy also can make exclusive new pet that can be obtain early for a $$$ and start dropping them after a month. 

The entire pet system needs to be reworked in general. DD1 had a great system for pets because they dropped like normal gear from bosses but the stats were random and capped based on the difficulty. Bringing pets back like they were and implement a system where you can upgrade them with gems to give that pet new animations and skins that can be upgraded like the hero skins we have.

@Ryrion quote:

@Klaleara quote:

How is this even possible when not one, but both pets were available in their golden legendary versions at the carnival? Why on earth would you stupidly pay $70 for a pet? I would say I feel sorry for you, but I don't.

As far as I'm aware, the Carnival isn't around anymore?  And I came at the end of it.

Also meh at them being gold.

@BestProfileName quote:

@Pachipachio quote:

@BestProfileName quote:

Where was I making light of that? I said that leg pets should not be behind a paywall. 

You said leg pets should not be behind a paywall in the second sentence, bolded the first though - which is the one where I thought was making light of it

To explain, you made light of it when you said that for 1600 gems (the carnival, I'm assuming?) he could have gotten a bunch of legendary and golden pets... ie, he made the wrong decision by spending 70 dollars on premium eggs in the egg UI and should have spent 16 dollars on the carnival 

It sounded, to me, like another "your fault" post, despite you agreeing that it shouldn't be behind a paywall.  Sorry if you didn't mean that, but that's the way it comes off

@BestProfileName quote:

However, this is a f2p game, so if they can't make money via cosmetics then how the hell do they? By selling content that is about the mechanics? Then it's not much of a f2p game, is it?

What.

They can make money via cosmetics.  I have a problem when they put it in gambling boxes in a game that's obviously marketed toward young people 

Maybe some people don't really get the gravity of gambling and how much of a mind*** it can be.. and that it's way worse on someone who doesn't yet understand the value of a dollar and hasn't developed fully the parts of the brain responsible for risk assessment and impulse control

It's gross, imo.  Worse than unashamedly screwing with inventory (scavenger & consumable stacking) to encourage buying bag slots, 4 of which are exclusively through steam for $$ and can't be purchased with already accumulated gems.

@Klaleara quote:

@Ryrion quote:

@Klaleara quote:

As far as I'm aware, the Carnival isn't around anymore?  And I came at the end of it.

Also meh at them being gold.

The carnival left 9 days ago, so if you're telling me you spent $70 bucks worth of gems in 9 days on a chance at a legendary pet, I have even less sympathy for you. $16 bucks would have gotten you 6 golden legendary pets, 2 of which you were looking for.

@Pachipachio quote:

@BestProfileName quote:

@Pachipachio quote:

@BestProfileName quote:

Where was I making light of that? I said that leg pets should not be behind a paywall. 

You said leg pets should not be behind a paywall in the second sentence, bolded the first though - which is the one where I thought was making light of it

To explain, you made light of it when you said that for 1600 gems (the carnival, I'm assuming?) he could have gotten a bunch of legendary and golden pets... ie, he made the wrong decision by spending 70 dollars on premium eggs in the egg UI and should have spent 16 dollars on the carnival 

It sounded, to me, like another "your fault" post, despite you agreeing that it shouldn't be behind a paywall.  Sorry if you didn't mean that, but that's the way it comes off

@BestProfileName quote:

However, this is a f2p game, so if they can't make money via cosmetics then how the hell do they? By selling content that is about the mechanics? Then it's not much of a f2p game, is it?

What.

They can make money via cosmetics.  I have a problem when they put it in gambling boxes in a game that's obviously marketed toward young people 

Maybe some people don't really get the gravity of gambling and how much of a mind*** it can be.. and that it's way worse on someone who doesn't yet understand the value of a dollar and hasn't developed fully the parts of the brain responsible for risk assessment and impulse control

It's gross, imo.  Worse than unashamedly screwing with inventory (scavenger & consumable stacking) to encourage buying bag slots, 4 of which are exclusively through steam for $$ and can't be purchased with already accumulated gems.

I think it is fair to say that, to an extent, it is the OP's fault. It is *not* the same as "is kind of making light of a pretty gross mechanic in a game whose target audience is children"

Spending 70 dollars JUST to get a legendary pet is so grossly gratuitous that I find it difficult to sympathise. It's a gambling mechanic, but so is playing a game with RNG on item drops. It's a gamble. You are gambling away your time (of which money cannot buy - to an extent) to get better items. 

Why do you say it is obviously marketed towards young people, by the way? Because it is cartoony? Most people I know who play Borderlands aren't kids. I think it is done with them in mind, of course.

You make the point about gambling boxes. It's not water tight as you can get all of these things for free for not ridiculous grinds. I would prefer that you can just buy what you want rather than buy the chance at a lottery though so I agree with you there.

Several of the methods used by Trendy are pretty shameful and part of me even wants them to fail terribly so they can learn from it (for example when they bled the community dry in dd1. The cumulative money required to get all the content was ridiculous). They probably made more money per consumer but lost thousands via that method, of which, myself and my girlfriend were two of them.

tl;dr - 

1. OP should consider rethinking what to prioritise when playing a game. You can get a legendary FOR FREE by just playing it. afk onslaught for a few hours and come back and you'll almost certainly get one or two, for example.

2. I don't mind the 'gambling' nature of rng too much, even where money is concerned. If it is aimed at young kids, they don't have money anyway so it's up to their parents to do their job.

3. Agreed that Trendy has some shady methods for generating money, like putting bags behind a paywall.

@Ryrion quote:

The carnival left 9 days ago, so if you're telling me you spent $70 bucks worth of gems in 9 days on a chance at a legendary pet, I have even less sympathy for you. $16 bucks would have gotten you 6 golden legendary pets, 2 of which you were looking for.

I bought the collectors edition ages ago, and don't really have anything else to spend gems on.  I want a legendary evilwick, so I'm working on towards getting it.  I actually didn't have a clue how much gems were even worth till I looked into it before I made this post.

I also find it amazing that you still bring up the carnival pets.  Which 1.  The gold looks stupid, which I mentioned and 2.  I already stated I came in after it.

Well, I really don't know how old or smart the OP is but I default to feeling bad for them since I see it as them being "tricked" into a bad purchase because:

1. there's a better deal per $, as you and many others have said, back when carnival was around.  I get that carnival was temporary but it's like I'm a shoe manufacturer and I have two prices for the same pair of shoes.. with many customers you just know some of them will mess up and buy the more expensive pair

2. the legendary pet has 1200 DPS over the powerful (green) one... which is totally not worth it in NM4, absolutely negligible, but it can have a powerful effect on someone who's not the best at prioritizing value and/or controlling impulses because it's a legendary! woo

3. doubt they're a competent adult when they're spending 70 dollars on a legendary pet considering the above + the fact that the game sucks atm... so, I wouldn't feel right telling them they've screwed up and need to learn to prioritize because <_< well, yeah.

It's just messed up, I think they're the victim.  And no offense to OP, but they're the kind of person whose targeted by shady practices like gambling boxes for trivial content... which makes me feel worse about the practice

Edit: the kids thing.  I think this game is marketed towards kids because if you look at the ratings categories for games this one only has content that fits the bill of: May contain minimal cartoon, fantasy or mild violence.  Which would be E for everyone.  Is actually rated a catagory above with(everyone 10+): May contain more cartoon, fantasy or mild violence, mild language and/or minimal suggestive themes.  Idk what suggestive theme and/or language has been used but it's likely that was done 'just incase'?  

Btw, borderlands would be two categories higher (T for Teen) in my opinion since it'd be more along the lines of: May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood.  But again it's actually rated at a category even higher (mature) for: Content is generally suitable for ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

So, ya, pretty sure this is a game whose primary user base would likely be younger kids/teens?

@Pachipachio quote:

Well, I really don't know how old or smart the OP is but I default to feeling bad for them since I see it as them being "tricked" into a bad purchase because:

1. there's a better deal per $, as you and many others have said, back when carnival was around.  I get that carnival was temporary but it's like I'm a shoe manufacturer and I have two prices for the same pair of shoes.. with many customers you just know some of them will mess up and buy the more expensive pair

2. the legendary pet has 1200 DPS over the powerful (green) one... which is totally not worth it in NM4, absolutely negligible, but it can have a powerful effect on someone who's not the best at prioritizing value and/or controlling impulses because it's a legendary! woo

3. doubt they're a competent adult when they're spending 70 dollars on a legendary pet considering the above + the fact that the game sucks atm... so, I wouldn't feel right telling them they've screwed up and need to learn to prioritize because <_< well, yeah.

It's just messed up, I think they're the victim.  And no offense to OP, but they're the kind of person whose targeted by shady practices like gambling boxes for trivial content... which makes me feel worse about the practice

Edit: the kids thing.  I think this game is marketed towards kids because if you look at the ratings categories for games this one fits the bill of: May contain minimal cartoon, fantasy or mild violence.  Which would be E for everyone.  Is actually rated a catagory above with(everyone 10+): May contain more cartoon, fantasy or mild violence, mild language and/or minimal suggestive themes.  Idk what suggestive theme and/or language has been used but it's likely that was done just incase?  

Btw, borderlands would be two categories higher (T for Teen) in my opinion since it'd be more along the lines of: May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood.  But again it's actually rated at a category even higher (mature) for: Content is generally suitable for ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

So, ya, pretty sure this is a game whose primary user base would likely be younger kids/teens?

1. I agree that it is a shady practice and people such as the OP are more likely to make mistakes on the basis of this. In fact, this is likely how TE intends things.

2. Agreed on the OP having some issues as to how best to spend one's money - perhaps indicative moreso of an idiosyncratic issue rather than as much the game.

3. You're correct that Borderlands is aimed at older people, but going on the cartoon style alone, it seems the blood is the only difference. In terms of dialogue there practically is none in this game. I have no idea what the story is. I would add the nuance that whilst I do not believe the main demographic of this game is as you describe it (younger teens/kids would be around the age of 10-15?), but rather, that its presentation accommodates that market in addition to what I believe is their main demographic, the 18-35s.

I'd like to note a few things, that people don't seem to get.  Just to defend myself a bit.

1.  I got all the gems from one of the bundles before pets even existed, simply because I wanted to support the game.  They wiped our characters soon after, and I basically just stopped playing till AL came along.  AKA I did not purchase the gems specifically for the pets.

2.  There is literally nothing of interest to me that you pay gems for, other than the two pets.  So why would I not spend them all there?

3.  I ended up getting a Legendary Katkorat today.  So woop.

Klaleara Congratulations on finally obtaining the orange pixels you desire. My opinion, a colossal waste of money. Especially when bags, hero slots and future heroes could have been unlocked with the gems you have spent. Are you really not interested in any future hero? Anyways I to have 9000 odd gems left from my initial purchase, having doesn't mean you have to use them :D 

I nor anyone else have the right to tell you how to spend your money. Hopefully after the pet revamp you will have something special on your hands. Good luck!

@Yuwee quote:

Klaleara Congratulations on finally obtaining the orange pixels you desire. My opinion, a colossal waste of money. Especially when bags, hero slots and future heroes could have be unlocked with the gems you have spent. Are you really not interested in any future hero? Anyways I to have 9000 odd gems left from my initial purchase, having doesn't mean you have to use them :D 

I nor anyone else have the right to tell you how to spend your money. Hopefully after the pet revamp you will have something special on your hands. Good luck!

No heroes really.  I only played the summoner in dd1, so AL is about the only one I'll play here.  So extra hero slots, or future characters don't mean anything. 

But yes, I'll agree, huge waste of money (just nothing else to waste them on).  I just wanted to note thay I felt there should be a better system in place, otherwise people won't find the worth in spending money. 

High cost, and gambling really doesn't appeal to many people.  They may get a huge profit off of each buy, but overall they will lose pepole due to greed, which means less community,  which means more loss of people, which means less money.

I hope dd2 makes it, but they have Soooo much work ahead of them system/mechanic wise.