Sign in to follow this  
Serious Pawn

Good Abyss Lord nerf ideas that dont kill him

Ill start by saying the new character the abyss lord is fun to play but needs some nerfs to not be as overwhelming as he is currently.  However I do not believe his towers need  changes, there cost and damage makes sense and the lack of health they have makes them very vulnerable to damage from ranged attacks and kobalts.The nerfs i suggest are solely to his abilitys "Abyss Stone" and "Knight of the Abyss".

first is a damage nerf to abyss stone, he needs this very badly because it gives him a tower with out DU cost, and sense the lack of cool downs and high mana cost makes it unique and would like to see these things stay.

Knight of the Abyss nerf is also very simple, increase the cool down of this skill so you can not lane block indefinitely from a safe distance. I do enjoy how it is a great counter to kobalts but believe it should not be so strong that you can effectively use it on everything, including bosses so easily .

If you have any thoughts on the Abyss Lord or find this thread unnecessary in one way or another , i would love to read your opinion.

Hit secondary attack should NOT be able to spam. Monk has a 1s secondary app and huntress limited to 4s (with exception of blaster caster) and squire has sword. So why does AL have a 20s spam secondary? Needs some kind of times effect. Same as monk maybe?

Having played Abyss lord a bit, OPs assessment that the Abyss Stones need to be nerfed seems fair. When stacked on top of one another anything in range is completely wiped, quite frankly there are a number of occasions where on smaller maps I don't even need to worry about enemies reaching my towers.

Can't say I've used Knight of the Abyss enough to tell whether a cooldown increase is fair or not, but seeing as how I don't use it that often anyways nerfing it in such a manner isn't something I'd particularly mind.

@Zkurcrow quote:

Hit secondary attack should NOT be able to spam. Monk has a 1s secondary app and huntress limited to 4s (with exception of blaster caster) and squire has sword. So why does AL have a 20s spam secondary? Needs some kind of times effect. Same as monk maybe?

Why should AL be designed around a terrible mechanic that the monk has? It's quite simple. Add a charge mechanic to the attack, so the longer you hold it the more damage it does. 

Have you ever had fun attacking things with monk secondary attack? I can't say I have;)

Rather than shouting nerfs, other heroes need to be reworked IMO. 

Don't nerf AL, buff other heroes instead (they need some love anyway) and then make the game harder.

Problem solved.

@PandynatorDD quote:

@Zkurcrow quote:

Why should AL be designed around a terrible mechanic that the monk has? It's quite simple. Add a charge mechanic to the attack, so the longer you hold it the more damage it does. 

Have you ever had fun attacking things with monk secondary attack? I can't say I have;)

true, and if the OP said, name something to fix everything else to make AL on par with them, i woulda stated it differently, but yes i agree with you 100 :)

idk i feel his towers are way OP, i got my AL to level 50 today and i got a full set of NM1 gear, instantly was able to easily clear maps on NM3, gunna try NM4 tomorrow after work to see if i can just go strait to that, it warns me that i dont have the minimum ILVL for the map but i clear it easily while only using my towers. Maybe its because im playing solo atm.

AL is great now i believe. Like many said, it's other heros that need a rework (which is being done atm, so be patient). 

And to people who are saying he is too OP because you can clear NM3 without NM3 gears, it is also easy to do it with other characters. NM1-4 is a joke atm and will most likely be redone. With the HD limitation removed, we can now have access to more strategy and variety, which make the current game easier. When a true NM (like in DD1) will come in, you won't be saying that the AL is too OP, or that the game is too easy. I want a true NM that will make people cry. I want to see lots of threads about people raging about the impossible NM on the forum.

Yep, buff the monk and give the apprentice the charged shot sphere like the huntress gets, that's all it needs.

@ijust1u quote:

idk i feel his towers are way OP, i got my AL to level 50 today and i got a full set of NM1 gear, instantly was able to easily clear maps on NM3, gunna try NM4 tomorrow after work to see if i can just go strait to that, it warns me that i dont have the minimum ILVL for the map but i clear it easily while only using my towers. Maybe its because im playing solo atm.

Agree NM4 without the Resistances is too easy now, you can solo almost  all maps with your old Chars.  LA + Geyser + Frostiest... that is all you need.

Must say AL DPS is really good to crow control, you can left 2 stones in one lane and go and check other lanes. The more Ability Damage sphere is great!  and the cons that is you get 25% more damage is really balanced, I was with 12K hp and died from a single punch of an Ogre! I was like OMG how did he killed me then I remember oh yes the 25% extra damage...

@Zkurcrow quote:

@PandynatorDD quote:

@Zkurcrow quote:

true, and if the OP said, name something to fix everything else to make AL on par with them, i woulda stated it differently, but yes i agree with you 100 :)

Sorry if i left the wrong impression on the nerf ideas.

i was just giving ideas to make him not total trash if they did want to nerf him, and i do agree i would love to see more buffs to other characters.

I do understand why anyone would ask AL to be nerfed. Even though I play for a long time, I'm not hardcore on DD (both 1 and 2). I've been playing for a while and never got past NM1. And so I started playing around with AL on launch - got him to lvl 46 so far (at the beginning with my other heroes building and enjoying that new deck XP share feature, but then I decided I wanted to play with him... I was around lvl 20 something).

My first true achieve with him was starting the Bazaar NM1 on lvl 43 with iPWR of 70-something, and using only the monk's AA as outside help. The latest was Forest Crossroads NM1 lvl 45 still same iPWR 70-something, and hardly broke a sweat. It was FUN. But I do think that, compared to the other 4, yes, AL is a lot of OP... or maybe the others aren't as good as they were supposed to.

One of the things I liked most on DD1 was that, with my mage, I could play an entire level strategically (something I hope to be able to do again soon with the new features they showcased), without firing a single shot myself, leaving everything to the towers. I miss having a sniper tower, an area tower, so on and so forth... I do miss the old builds, but I manage with the new ones, they have their fun points. But I don't remember ever getting to finish a single level (which was on par with my lvl/iPWR) without having to fire or repair something mid-phase. Perhaps I'm just not clever enough, or just used to the old DD. But with AL I got to do it. I finally felt NM1 to be ENJOYABLE, not frustrating.

So, yeah, one more vote here to leave AL alone, go buff up our other heroes. And bring more NMs for those who want it harder =p HECK, for what I know, there could be 99NMs, I still think someone would manage to find it boring =p

Abyss Lord feels like he'll inevitably be nerfed.

That said, with the Strategic Revamp on the way, maybe he'll be used as the level for other heroes to aspire to (y'know, be buffed to).

BUT! The standard response to a strong class in games tends to be nerfing the strong class. This is unfortunate though, as you finally feel like you can be powerful in a game and the devs rip that away (rather than buff everything else). The reason for this is it's a lot less work to nerf something than it is to buff everything else.

BUT! Here's hoping for the Strategic Revamp...

@Tyroki quote:

Abyss Lord feels like he'll inevitably be nerfed.

That said, with the Strategic Revamp on the way, maybe he'll be used as the level for other heroes to aspire to (y'know, be buffed to).

BUT! The standard response to a strong class in games tends to be nerfing the strong class. This is unfortunate though, as you finally feel like you can be powerful in a game and the devs rip that away (rather than buff everything else). The reason for this is it's a lot less work to nerf something than it is to buff everything else.

BUT! Here's hoping for the Strategic Revamp...

This is a good point. It'd be really awesome if the other classes got buffs, rather than the AL getting nerfed.

I still think that the cone of the archers are a little too generously spread for what they're meant to be.  They have almost a full 360 degree fire radius (Maybe roughly 270 degrees in all?), and can cover two directions simultaneously. This combined with the damage they put out is really bonkers.

On the other hand!

Many of the maps have so many awkward slopes and angles that the archers would be very difficult to use 'properly' if they were nerfed down. I'm noticing that there aren't that many good spots to place them on many of the maps. It's more efficient to hoard them around the crystal than it is to try and position them strategically around the map.

So, more buffs! Less nerfs! Yay!