Sign in to follow this  
Bogdanov89

Differences between Colossus and Orc Blockade?

I haven't played DD2 all that often but i do like the Abyssal Lord, judging by the trailer.

One thing i did not understand were the practical differences between Orc Blockade and the Colossus.

Both are described as melee, tanky and deal good damage...

Their Direct Command ability is also similar, they just deal damage in-front of themselves.

I thought one might be for "single target" while the other is for "area of effect", but that does not seem to be the case.

It would be lame if the Colossus is just a stronger/expensive version of the Orc Blockade, since the lesser tower would not be used past the first few waves.

Can anyone that has played the Abyssal please explain the differences between these two towers?

The biggest difference is that the Colossus, once placed, can be freely moved anywhere at any time for no cost at all. It retains its hp and rank after moving, moving it is instantaneous, and there is only a 2 second cooldown on movement. Honestly, I use him more like an ability than a tower, constantly moving him around to damage specific targets.

It's like a personal tower you just throw down in whatever lane could use a hand. A pesky mage or Malthius just outside your tower ranges being annoying? Drop a colossus on him. Need a bit extra dps on an ogre? Drop Colossus next to/behind it. He's really quite versatile.

Also, it benefits tremendously from the apprentice frosty power build stuff. Most melee range things aren't able to get the buff very much since a lot of enemies simply stop to attack at range, but with Colossus you bring the fight to them. He's right in their face, getting buffed by your frost towers. It already has a decent attack rate and damage, once you factor in that buff they get pretty ridiculous. I'm thinking of trying out using Panic Fire on my Abyss Lord, just to see how fast I can get him attacking lol. Need a few more levels though.

Here's his current dmg at rank 5 on my lvl 26 Abyss Lord.

fnfUZcZ.jpg

Here he is being buffed by 3 frost towers.

2NQQvrG.jpg

EDIT: These images seem quite small, but appear normal if you open in another tab.

DOUBLE EDIT: Also forgot to mention, you only get 1 Colossus at a time. You can't just use him as the only barricade.

Colossus is twice as expensive and you can only have one.  It can be moved at no cost and retains its upgrades when moved, so it can be used to bolster defenses on difficult lanes.  I don't know if multiple players with Abyss Lords would be able to summon one colossus each.

the direct command abilities are different too, the orcs jsut get much more atk speed, where is the colosus unleashes a far outward reaching shockwave to hit ranged units and knock everything in front of it up in the air from what i seen

Pretty sure I saw someone with a 900k health T5 colossus yesterday in the social hub. Given that they were more than likely not using optimal gear yet, that was a pretty impressive number for a teleporting wall.

@Racthoh quote:

Pretty sure I saw someone with a 900k health T5 colossus yesterday in the social hub. Given that they were more than likely not using optimal gear yet, that was a pretty impressive number for a teleporting wall.

With ilvl around 630-650, friend and I have 1.3 and 1.4 million HP T5 colossus' right now.  Orcs are around 400k base, so no more reasons for barricades AT ALL.

Abyss Lord rendered quite a few defensive units, and classes for that matter obsolete....

@Cerial Ciller quote:

@Racthoh quote:

With ilvl around 630-650, friend and I have 1.3 and 1.4 million HP T5 colossus' right now.  Orcs are around 400k base, so no more reasons for barricades AT ALL.

Abyss Lord rendered quite a few defensive units, and classes for that matter obsolete....

Guess I'm glad I've been collecting a DP/DC set for my squire then. And is that 400k without a boost aura + sphere?

@Racthoh quote:

@Cerial Ciller quote:

@Racthoh quote:

Guess I'm glad I've been collecting a DP/DC set for my squire then. And is that 400k without a boost aura + sphere?

For the Orcs, yeah.  We don't boost them.  We might have a few %3-%4 hp buffs on our gear, but not much.

There really is no reason to use blockades anymore.  Skellies are amazing front to back single target when placed correctly, orcs outshine barricades, colossus is STUPID strong, especially with 2+ of them, and sucking mana to drop abyss crystals non stop is OP, even on a DH/DP build its TONS of damage.  He is really great when you throw down your healing well on him and have it make things take 20% less damage.  We have 2 of those going double Abyss Lord as well, and it's stupid strong.

I would prefer they bring all other characters up to him, but think they will nerf him BIG TIME :(

@tdb quote:

@Ambiguous quote:

Here he is being buffed by 3 frost towers.

How much DP and frosty does your apprentice have?

I have 3277 DP, and 35% frosty. He's barely in the 600 iPWR range.