Sign in to follow this  
Valnoor

So, you wanna get abyssal lord without irl murder.

WELL, I THINK ILL LOGIN TO SEE WHAT THIS PATCH FUSS IS ABOUT. Oh my a new character. Let me just go to create a character and... wait. What are these medal thingies. Ok i see they will make us work for it. So let me go and check the site... 5-25 per match, 100-250 per daily, 1500-2000 monthly. Well, this doesn't seem like pay to win at all. "Oh" you might say "you can just farm hard onslaught all day everyday for a few weeks". "Well" i and large % of player base say "i don't have all the characters at max or the best gear rngesus will allow". Well too bad casual scrublords. Why would this game that has been in alpha for a year give anything back? Why would this game, one that thousands have supported through the countless bugs, bad optimization, and questionable updates give you a break? This character is impossible to get without days of constant farming or 15 dollars. Im in highschool just like many others who have this game. We have neither the time nor the money for this. When i saw that the devs were becoming active again i thought that only good will come of this, but no. The fair was pay to win and now this is just scummy. YOU LITERALLY CANNOT ACCESS THE MOST IMPORTANT CONTENT OF THIS GAME THE HOUR, DAY, NOT EVEN WEEK IT RELEASES UNLESS U ARE BOTTING OR VERY, VERY LUCKY. Or you shell out a nice cool 15 buckaroos and access the pay to win side of things. This is really bad. This is the wrong direction for any f2p game. I know its rough and u gotta make money but add cooler skins (the star wars apprentice was just lazily sad) or add cool costume weapons. Just do something that doesn't effect quality of gameplay. 

I think I'm just going to quote one of my previous replies to a similar thread. Enjoy.

"

@Dan H quote:

You bought all the heroes in DD1. People were happy. You have the chance to get them for free in a game that itself is entirely free. NOW YOU CHOSE TO COMPLAIN.

Okay logic. I give up on life. Kill me now. I dont understand anything. Is life a lie?

giphy.gif

"

f2p should be free. dd1 wasnt near as messed up, we were guaranteed quality and gave money in return. we were willing to pay cause we knew what we would get back wouldn't suck. now in this buggy f2p game we are given a character that we have no clue if its good in terms of will everyone use this now. if its better then it is pay to win, if it worse it is a horrible grind. they've set themselves up for a lose lose in the eyes of a lot of the playerbase.

@Dan H quote:

I think I'm just going to quote one of my previous replies to a similar thread. Enjoy.

"

@Dan H quote:

You bought all the heroes in DD1. People were happy. You have the chance to get them for free in a game that itself is entirely free. NOW YOU CHOSE TO COMPLAIN.

Okay logic. I give up on life. Kill me now. I dont understand anything. Is life a lie?

giphy.gif

"and nice gif btw really sums up how everyone feels about the situation

Im not asking for a free hero here, i just want to be able to get it faster than in a few months. Any future characters should be obtainable the DAY they are released otherwise its really scummy.

it's a free to play game, the devs have to make money somehow, the whole thing that we are able to buy the new heroes for ingame currency is actually pretty amazing if you ask me!

they said in some stream that it is intended that it's a bit of a grind to get the new heroes but if you ask me the current situation is that casual players don't need the new hero now, and the pros are fully willing to pay those 15 dollars.

the only think i wish is that trendy drop the casual player focus, from lvl 1 to 50 is for casuals where you should have a campaing and a boss, where the whole nightmare section should just facesmack you with all new strats that are supposed to be for hardcore players or atleast some players who actually thinks about combinations, different mob types and all those variables there were in dd1.

@Valnoor quote:

Im not asking for a free hero here, i just want to be able to get it faster than in a few months. Any future characters should be obtainable the DAY they are released otherwise its really scummy.

They can, just save up in advance /thread

@Shadkillz quote:

it's a free to play game, the devs have to make money somehow, the whole thing that we are able to buy the new heroes for ingame currency is actually pretty amazing if you ask me!

they said in some stream that it is intended that it's a bit of a grind to get the new heroes but if you ask me the current situation is that casual players don't need the new hero now, and the pros are fully willing to pay those 15 dollars.

the only think i wish is that trendy drop the casual player focus, from lvl 1 to 50 is for casuals where you should have a campaing and a boss, where the whole nightmare section should just facesmack you with all new strats that are supposed to be for hardcore players or atleast some players who actually thinks about combinations, different mob types and all those variables there were in dd1.

to invalidate your first argument i only have to say one word. DOTA. this game has 0 purchases affecting gameplay, is completely free, and makes thousands of dollars every day

second argument, the grind is too much. if i cant get it by playing nonstop for 48 hours then it isn't cool

@Soulstiger quote:

@Valnoor quote:

how much are the new heroes? how long until they are released? how do i save up if i dont know what i need and when? Is nit doc brown, is nit doctor, is nit those kids from obscure disney movie Minute men. i dont have a time machine is my point.

@Valnoor quote:

@Soulstiger quote:

@Valnoor quote:

how much are the new heroes? how long until they are released? how do i save up if i dont know what i need and when? Is nit doc brown, is nit doctor, is nit those kids from obscure disney movie Minute men. i dont have a time machine is my point.

Presumably they will also cost 12,000. So... you just save till they come out? It's what people do in other f2p games that sell characters with an in game currency.

@Soulstiger quote:

@Valnoor quote:

@Soulstiger quote:

@Valnoor quote:

Presumably they will also cost 12,000. So... you just save till they come out? It's what people do in other f2p games that sell characters with an in game currency.

you dont know that, and i dont know that. If you are correct we are now expected to farm for 2 times the original amount of time? that really helps reduce the unfairness of the grindfest.

f2p is not free. Never has been.   You do realize developers need to get paid right?  All the long hours spent trying to appease the masses called the gaming community need to be worth something.

Trendy is trying really hard not to make this game Pay2Win which is admirable since they are forgoing the easy win for the hopes that they can churn out a game that lasts the test of time.

@tonyb quote:

f2p is not free. Never has been.   You do realize developers need to get paid right?  All the long hours spent trying to appease the masses called the gaming community need to be worth something.

Trendy is trying really hard not to make this game Pay2Win which is admirable since they are forgoing the easy win for the hopes that they can churn out a game that lasts the test of time.

dude look at dota, literally no purchases affect gameplay yet that make thousand a day, they started off of a mod/hack.

this started of of  a fairly successful title and yet they somehow cannot get their *** together

you are right free to play isnt free but pay to play in a free to play game makes no sense

as i said before I DONT WANT THE CHAR FOR FREE, i want it attainable without farming for weeks. if i cant get it by farming nonstop, no breaks for 48-72 hours then thats kind of unfair

@Valnoor quote:

@Soulstiger quote:

@Valnoor quote:

@Soulstiger quote:

@Valnoor quote:

you dont know that, and i dont know that. If you are correct we are now expected to farm for 2 times the original amount of time? that really helps reduce the unfairness of the grindfest.

You're right, it's totally a wild card guess that the rest of the heroes would also cost the same amount as the first. /s 

And sorry I guess he's 10k medals? (I don't know, I bought gems to get him, to support the game.) Not sure how that's twice the time, but w/e.

12k medals and ill support the game with skins and pets but i dont think its cool to sell you a HUGE part of a game with the only other option being weeks of grinding

DOTA is already well-established, so they can afford to rake in the income solely based on cosmetics.

DD2 is still mostly unknown and still in alpha. If TE followed DOTA's model, they would go bankrupt and all of us will lose the game we love just as it was getting better. Who wins when that happens?

TE isn't blind nor deaf. All this outcry about the cost of AL is sure to make them reconsider the paywall/playwall for future heroes. Even I myself agree that $15 is probably too high for a hero class, but I don't degrade into the whiny, screachy entitled brat that throws a tantrum when told he needs to mow the lawn for an ice cream cone.

@--E@T TH3M!-- quote:

DOTA is already well-established, so they can afford to rake in the income solely based on cosmetics.

DD2 is still mostly unknown and still in alpha. If TE followed DOTA's model, they would go bankrupt and all of us will lose the game we love just as it was getting better. Who wins when that happens?

TE isn't blind nor deaf. All this outcry about the cost of AL is sure to make them reconsider the paywall/playwall for future heroes. Even I myself agree that $15 is probably too high for a hero class, but I don't degrade into the whiny, screachy entitled brat that throws a tantrum when told he needs to mow the lawn for an ice cream cone.

Well, they're well established, because they dont do things like that, constantly losing player base. Another great example is path of exile, where new char was unlockable for new players within hours, and almost instantly for everyone else. 
Thats why they have HUGE player base. Its the other way around, you just cant do things like that and hoping to bring new players. 

Im not "entitled brat", just go to PoE forums and find my account, you can clearly see supporters pack for over 150$, not counting points purchase without packs. I can afford new char here, i just dont want pay them, because they're killing this game with decisions like this one. 

Its THAT simple. And YES, i expect free content, polished, refined, well prepared - then and ONLY THEN - i can give them my money, and spend something much more valuable - my time - playing their game. Im not gonna do that now. I have other games i can play, where devs deliver new, shiny, thorough, free content. 
Its not gonna work other way and im pretty sure, that PoE will thrive and DD2, if devs gonna stick to that mindset - will die quickly. 

"Come check out this new content we got!  Oh right... you uh... kinda can't play it unless you give us 15 bucks or grind for 50+ days.  Okay, have fun!"

Wouldn't you want to get your playerbase experiencing the new content a.s.a.p?  Especially your vet playerbase that has grown bored with their same 4 character decks they've used for 4+ months already?   

@Valnoor quote:

as i said before I DONT WANT THE CHAR FOR FREE

Call me a heretic, but I want the Abyss Lord and all future heroes for free. Why?

• Because it is brand new content that can drastically increase new players and returning players, and retain them for longer.
  • Because it won't drive a wedge in the community between paying players and non-playing players.
  • Because I want to fall in love with the Abyss Lord's playstyle, enough so that I'd feel like his magma costume would be totally worth it.
  • Because there are already plenty of better forms of monetization on the game. As if bags, hero slots, and cosmetics weren't enough

@Shadkillz quote:

Of course they need to make money we're not all that dumb. It's the grind to unlock a new hero is insane. I don't think anyone is asking "Hey I should be able to do it in a day!" But at the same time how are willing to play 500+ hours to unlock 1 hero? What about the uber spheres? The spheres for abyssal lord? I also don't understand 12k cap, assuming they're all 12k, when there's that hero's spheres to unlock as well..

@--E@T TH3M!-- quote:

DOTA didn't get well established by charging through the nose. If I recall, it was a mod and this is how it started everything off.

Don't you get it? Read what you wrote:

"TE isn't blind nor deaf. All this outcry about the cost of AL is sure to make them reconsider the paywall/playwall for future heroes."

Exactly. And if they do lower the cost then remember to come back here and thank some of the people who complained. Saying, "oh well I suppose it is probably too high" probably isn't going to change someone's mind. People saying, "if this does not change, I will stop playing." or, "I am not playing until you fix things" is EXACTLY how you change things. 

Edit: In fact, we already have plenty of f2p examples where people aren't complaining like this. It does not help that this game has so many issues with it of course, but hey, "it's alpha gaiz".

I'm still on TE's side so I'm rooting for them to do well. This update was a step in the right direction in terms of QoL changes, but that really is all about it for now. I look forward to the strategic revamp and I think all those people saying they're leaving now will come back for that. THAT will be the arbiter of DD2's immediate success, I feel.

@Dan H quote:

"

@Dan H quote:

I've been seeing this sort of aggressively condescending post a great deal, along with a lot of talk about moochers and "get a job".  All of which seems more interested in strawmanning and derision than acknowledging some very reasonable points.  Like that $15 is a hell of a lot to ask for just one hero.  I'd like to think there can be a middle ground between the crazy extremes of entitled, wanting everything for free and willing to pay any arbitrary $$ amount just because.

What a surprise, in every single F2P game when something cost money in them is released, these people must  create a thread to complain because they don't want to put a single dollar in them while playing for hundred of hours, and they even try to make sense too, hilarous.