Sign in to follow this  
Neophold

I feel disappointed in the devs, concerning the Abyssal Lord

Still no change I see. Just uninstalled the game. Learned my lesson. Won't ever be installing it again. Good job devs, you just lost a customer that's willing to pay for your expensive cosmetics just not content. That is how you run a successful F2P game. DO NOT PAYWALL/PLAYWALL CONTENT.

It's amazing how much people here manage to completely ignore the absolute basics of making any sort of sales.

OK, people here need to get 2 things straight: This is a FtP game in early access, so Trendy absolutely MUST have revenue coming in from players, and due to the low playerbase, sets those prices higher than other, more popular games. Additionally, they are trying out a new system and the prices will/should vary.  there is a thread on that stickied to this very forum!  

Now, by no means am i advocating this steaming pile of bogus.  I can just see why they do it.  My personal feeling echo what most of you guy/gals are saying.  I only have a few things to add, the rest just echo what people have said.     

1. Paying $15 for a new way to play an old, stale, game that I have spent 164 hrs in without any fundamental GAMEPLAY changes feels like a ripoff to me, for that $15 i could buy Enter the Gungeon, a game with over 150hrs of replayability, and the AL doesnt add that replayability FOR ME.

2. I understand Trendy wants to work on new, exciting stuff to possibly draw in more customers, but when they lose more players a day than they gain, maybe they should look at the reoccuring complaints and fix a few/all of those before adding new characters/costumes/etc.  A few off the top of my head are map design feeling stale, towers feeling weak, and character/tower balance.

3. DD1 was a very successful game that i put almost 2000 hrs into, and it got my girlfriend (now wife) into playing co-op games.  It was a paid game with 4 expansions ($5 each) on xbox live.  new characters were bought on pc, but they were not $15 apiece.  It seems a bit like milking your few remaining fans for money to charge the price of 3 maps in DD1 for a single new hero in a game that will have 4 or 5 guaranteed new heroes and plausibly many more.

4.  a good way to bring back many of the long time, burned out players of this EARLY ACCESS title was to introduce new content.  I myself lost interest in November 2015, came back for 2 hours after the Harbinger update as it just added a new boss map with interesting mechanics, and i was stoked for the AL, but, as stated above, $15 or grinding for 1.33 months on the same old maps, with my same 6 lvl50s, with no new mechanics but lane resistances removed, to get a new hero just made me disgusted with this.   I paid for this game, and have bought costumes, and could easily afford this hero, but i most likely will not play for a long time/ if at all.  Also, how i think AL should have been introduced is as a minion of the Harbringer who was enslaved, and you have to find him/free him on one of the maps where he shows up for one wave.  now that wouldve been cool.  anyway, theres my $.02, bye. 

@bigwillmcd quote:

2. I understand Trendy wants to work on new, exciting stuff to possibly draw in more customers, but when they lose more players a day than they gain, maybe they should look at the reoccuring complaints and fix a few/all of those before adding new characters/costumes/etc.  A few off the top of my head are map design feeling stale, towers feeling weak, and character/tower balance.

3. DD1 was a very successful game that i put almost 2000 hrs into, and it got my girlfriend (now wife) into playing co-op games.  It was a paid game with 4 expansions ($5 each) on xbox live.  new characters were bought on pc, but they were not $15 apiece.  It seems a bit like milking your few remaining fans for money to charge the price of 3 maps in DD1 for a single new hero in a game that will have 4 or 5 guaranteed new heroes and plausibly many more.

A huge problem is also the maps are looking great but their (strategical) design is so bad it is a shame. Instead of adding additional need of strategy the sub-cores limit how we can build. If I don't want to lose the subcore I have to build at some specific points. I appreciate the idea about subcores and the consequences of losing them, but without subcores the map would be more fun. Sadly.

I convinced some friends (who really enjoyed DD1) to try DD2 but they quit after the Forest Crossroads as they literally always were able to beat every map on campaign normal on the first try with nothing but a turtle build.

Adding new better maps (actually the DD1 map design) is nice but won't help to keep new players playing.

@Dreizehn quote:

A huge problem is also the maps are looking great but their (strategical) design is so bad it is a shame. Instead of adding additional need of strategy the sub-cores limit how we can build. If I don't want to lose the subcore I have to build at some specific points. I appreciate the idea about subcores and the consequences of losing them, but without subcores the map would be more fun. Sadly.

The maps, and the game as a whole is also too homogeneous.  Lanes are very linear and enemies will not stray from them.  Practically every choke point can be built in the same way and there's approximately the same amount of DU per choke point in every map.  There are multiple ways to build, but once you find something you like, there's little incentive to ever build anything else.  Since you can't predict where the high thread waves and ogres will spawn, you can't concentrate defenses where they are most needed but must build equally everywhere.  Certain aspects of a successful build are dictated by game mechanics.  Barricades are the only way to stop or even significantly slow down enemies, and at higher difficulties the enemies will reach your defenses, so a barricade is a must.  Most other towers are liable to be destroyed by a stray javelin thrower or dark mage, possibly even one-shotted on higher difficulties, so no building towers on the sidelines.

@--E@T TH3M!-- quote:

@Injuis quote:

I remember getting a ton of stuff for $15 dollars in DD1.  I guess times have changed.

I also remember DD1 being pay-to-play. I guess people's memory capacity have also changed.

I like how you and many others like to bring that up.  Can you tell me off the top of your head how much it cost for dd1. + all its free content?

Soooo, DD1 was pay to play with basic gameplay and heroes and all. No problem. DD2 is free to play even with AL having a buy or grind to get option and people are whining? Where the hell is the logic here? With them having to make money to keep going you guys do realize they are also in a legal battle with the creators of ARK, right? Let's try to keep supporting them instead of spouting random BS because someone doesn't wanna grind in a free to play, m'kay?

@Dan H quote:

You bought all the heroes in DD1. People were happy. You have the chance to get them for free in a game that itself is entirely free. NOW YOU CHOSE TO COMPLAIN.

Okay logic. I give up on life. Kill me now. I dont understand anything. Is life a lie?

giphy.gif

At least then there was an entire game. Don't get me wrong, i enjoy this game. But i bought it on steam, 3 copies ( me, best friend, and husband) collectors edition, almost 2 years ago now, and it is STILL an alpha... and since i logged about 600 hours on the legit servers in dd1, and about 250 in the "fun" (mods allowed)  server, i have some expectations that just are not being met. Wheres the challenge mode? wheres the events? this "Alpha" is moving soooooo slowly.  i would definitely rather buy the whole game that was complete and fun, than this snail paced free to play, especially since i bought 3 damn copies.... It saddens me to say, this feels dead in the water, the devs are moving slow, and they know we want more..... So where is it?